PS3 or PSNOW? Help!

subermedic

Hi,

As the title suggests im having a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I have many games on my PSN account from the PS3 days that i really want to go back and replay for cleaning up trophies. 

PSNow has some of the games I need for cleaning up my PS3 library but not all. I would love to own a PS3 again but most of the games I would want to play cost quite a bit. For example a copy of Deadly Premonition costs about £20-30 which is two months worth of PSNow. I am also concerned that the PS3 servers will go down and I wont be able to sync trophies anymore from that system.

What would you guys recommend? Buy a PS3 and also the games? or just subscribe to PSNow and keep things simple? Would love to hear your thoughts on PSNow if you're an active user.

Cheers

I have PSNow and it's great - but I mainly use it for PS4 games these days. If you've not used it before, you should use the 7-day free trial you get and see if it works decently on your connection. It works fine for me, but my friend (who is on a different ISP) has lots of issues when trying to use it. 

I'd say PS3 because you'll be able to get any kind of game for it.

Like Spider-Man & Transformers games are all gone from digital stores. Having a console gives you the option to get Delisted games via discs ?

1t9FjYU.png

Edited by Rise_GKM
  • Like 1

Depends on your internet connection. I have PS Now but can only exclusively use it for the games which have the download function. If your internet can stream games without hitches/dips in connection I’d say go ahead. Don’t bother otherwise, because it gets incredibly annoying.

I enjoyed PS Now, it's a good service and my connection was always decent. But I would still go for the console if you dont mind it taking up physical space in your home. Why:

• You can play a lot more games than are available on PS Now. If you know where to look you can get most of the games very cheap nowadays. You can easily get about 3 or 4 interesting games for what PS Now will cost you each month.
  • Some rare games are more expensive of course. But chances are if you buy Deadly Premonition for $30 and plat it within a reasonable amount of time then you can sell it for close to the same amount. Some games only go up in price from now on probably ;)
  • I don't think it's likely that when PS3 consoles stop syncing trophies that you would still be able to do so on PS Now, so that should not really be part of the equation.
  • I also do not think they are going to disable syncing unless some major security flaw was discovered that they would not bother fixing. Like I said: that's very unlikely and would probably work the same for PS3 games on PS Now.

The only downside to the console I can personally think of is that you need to switch discs to switch between games. But if you are someone who likes playing the same game until it's done, then this should not be a problem for you.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GraniteSnake said:

Depends on your internet connection. I have PS Now but can only exclusively use it for the games which have the download function. If your internet can stream games without hitches/dips in connection I’d say go ahead. Don’t bother otherwise, because it gets incredibly annoying.

I am not a PS Now user, but if I understood correctly you cannot download PS3 games, only stream them on your PS4. Makes sense. So yeah, then it would always depend on the internet connection in the case of @subermedic.

I'd also buy a PS3 console. You could buy them very cheap second-hand these days and most games are dirt cheap. With exceptions, such as indeed Deadly Premonition (great game!) and the original Ratchet & Clank trilogy. Just re-sell after you are done. PSN still has great deals too.

Or... you could wait for the PS5 which hopefully is backwards compatible with PS3. I no longer own a PS3, but I wouldn't mind taking a nostalgia trip in a few years if the PS5 allows it.

It's a huge dilemma xD

Well I have both and to be honest I like to play PS3 games on PS4. 

Maybe I can't explain in the better way but playing now on PS3 is really hard for me. Slow PsStore, slow sync and can't talk to friends, graphics, etc...

Idk if It's on my country but PS3 (disc) games are overpriced, you have to get money to buy all of them.

But I know PsNow doesn't have some cool games and you need good internet.

But in this case you only pay one time to get all their games.  

If you want to play some old games and you don't problems like mine on PS3 and have money to spend, I recommend to buy one. 

53 minutes ago, subermedic said:

For example a copy of Deadly Premonition costs about £20-30 which is two months worth of PSNow.

Not sure where in the UK you are but just wanted to mention that CeX are selling Deadly Premonition for £12. If there's not a local store to you with it in stock then you could maybe order online alongside other games, even the console itself, to make the delivery charge worthwhile?

I got into PS3 pretty late and find that sometimes games are overpriced on eBay/Amazon etc. It's worth checking CeX and other second hand game stores if you have them. You might find the games are cheaper than you thought.

Depends on what you want to do with your PS3 library once you're done with cleaning trophies up.

If you want to play your PS3 games in their pristine quality for years to come, get a PS3. Hopefully you have a good screen that is compatible with 720p and doesn't produce horrible bilinear rescaling.

PS Now is mediocre, plain and simple. It's a streaming service with perceptible lag and awful video compression. It does the job for people casually interested in the PS3, but it's not future-proof and certainly not the best way to experience PS3 (let alone PS4) games.

Thanks guys, I think i'll test it out with the free 7 day trial and see how it performs. Depending on the performance I will either buy a PS3 or just get the years worth of PSNow but the prospect of diving back into the PS3 system is kinda persuading me. Could anyone recommend the best model that's the best for longevity? 

23 minutes ago, StacFace92 said:

Not sure where in the UK you are but just wanted to mention that CeX are selling Deadly Premonition for £12. If there's not a local store to you with it in stock then you could maybe order online alongside other games, even the console itself, to make the delivery charge worthwhile?

I got into PS3 pretty late and find that sometimes games are overpriced on eBay/Amazon etc. It's worth checking CeX and other second hand game stores if you have them. You might find the games are cheaper than you thought.

Thanks for that, It's a lot cheaper though CEX. I did not even think to check. What a great company! haha

11 minutes ago, Ryusennin said:

Depends on what you want to do with your PS3 library once you're done with cleaning trophies up.

If you want to play your PS3 games in their pristine quality for years to come, get a PS3. Hopefully you have a good screen that is compatible with 720p and doesn't produce horrible bilinear rescaling.

I probably will not want to keep a collection of physical PS3 games for years to come as my backlog is already way too big as it is.

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

Not a PS Now user here.

Buy a PS3. PS Now sometimes lacks DLC and it would block you from earning all trophies.

I was not aware of this, this is a shame if true :(

1 minute ago, subermedic said:

Thanks guys, I think i'll test it out with the free 7 day trial and see how it performs. Depending on the performance I will either buy a PS3 or just get the years worth of PSNow but the prospect of diving back into the PS3 system is kinda persuading me. Could anyone recommend the best model that's the best for longevity? 

Get a model with big HDD if you don't want to consider upgrading yourself. Look at no less than 320GB, but preferrably 500GB. PS3 install times are horrendous, so you want a bigger HDD to store all games you wanna play at once and never actually have to sit and wait the install to go through. Everything you want should be getting installed overnight or whenever you are away from your system.

Can't say much about models, I have a slim and a super slim, and both work just fine for me.

• Like 1

I bounced back and forth on this topic for years, before finally deciding on a PS3. I don't regret my decision. You get a wider game selection (yeah, they cost money, but most PS3 games are relatively cheap these days), aren't restricted by connection issues, and you actually own the games you buy. PSNow is fine if you only want to play the games they have available...and your internet speed can handle it...but I don't know if it's going to save you money if you plan to play long term. A year's subscription of PSNow is about the same price as a used or refurbished PS3 and a handful of games (200 USD).

28 minutes ago, subermedic said:

Could anyone recommend the best model that's the best for longevity? 

I'd go for the Slim (not Super Slim). It sits in between the phat original PS3 (which are now quite old and are less reliable + more power usage/noise etc.) and the last model, the Super Slim. If I recall correctly that model was only introduced because it was cheaper for Sony, it even has a disc tray. It's just... I don't know, it just feels cheaper. See also this question on Quora for some other people's perspective.

I vote on getting a ps3...the xmb is far superior to the ps4 home screen imo...also, dlc is more readily available and games can be played offline if you choose...you can also choose how and when you want to invest in content which a subscription kind of limits...the crappiest parts of the ps3 are the chat/party options, the slow loading times, the limited availability of new controllers, and the need for a decent capture card if you like recording your play...not sure if it affects you or not but you could run into hackers on the ps3's multiplayer whereas, last time I checked, the ps4's online encryption has yet to be cracked so the things modders can do is limited to lag switch type stuff...

as far as type of console, I'd recommend a 500g super slim...i find the top opening tray a tad easier to use than the insert slot on the older models...it's also easier to clean out....

you could always try subscribing to ps now for a bit, see how much you like it, and then invest in a ps3 if you find yourself wanting more...

• Like 1

Definitely buy a PS3. Cause PS NOW lacks some games and sometimes there's going to be input lag and all this stupid shit even if you have a really good connection

Plus when buy the game for 20£-30£ on PS3 You can play it whenever you want while in PS NOW You have a time limit unless you resub to the service

And as YuriG said there's some games with missing DLC So a PS3 is definitely better . While maybe PS3 servers will get shutdown I don't think it's going to be soon maybe it'll survive another year or 2 Hell maybe even more . Didn't they shutdown the PS2 Servers last year or something?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sifferino said:

I am not a PS Now user, but if I understood correctly you cannot download PS3 games, only stream them on your PS4. Makes sense. So yeah, then it would always depend on the internet connection in the case of @subermedic.

I'd also buy a PS3 console. You could buy them very cheap second-hand these days and most games are dirt cheap. With exceptions, such as indeed Deadly Premonition (great game!) and the original Ratchet & Clank trilogy. Just re-sell after you are done. PSN still has great deals too.

Or... you could wait for the PS5 which hopefully is backwards compatible with PS3. I no longer own a PS3, but I wouldn't mind taking a nostalgia trip in a few years if the PS5 allows it.

Yeah that’s correct. You have the option to either stream or download the PS4 titles, as well as the PS2 games remastered for PS4 (such as Destroy All Humans!, Dark Cloud etc.). I’m forced to download because my internet can’t keep up. Can’t complain though, as there’s a surprising amount of PS4 titles available so I don’t feel as if I’ve wasted money on a years subscription.

1 hour ago, Ryusennin said:

PS Now is mediocre, plain and simple. It's a streaming service with perceptible lag and awful video compression. It does the job for people casually interested in the PS3, but it's not future-proof and certainly not the best way to experience PS3 (let alone PS4) games.

I do second the poor performance comment for streaming PS Now unless your internet is pretty decent. Even turn-based games like Disgaea D2 have pretty noticeable issues for me. Asura's Wrath was not a fun time with PS Now.

PS4 should be fine, though, since you just download the game in its entirety rather than streaming it.

Ps3 without a doubt.

Not only can you get pretty much all the games for 5 bucks or under, even with a good internet connection the games are laggy and much more pixelated.

How many games could you realistically play in a month that would justify the cost of the subscription.

Just buy the console and get hard copies of the games, you can then play at your own rythm and even if you chuck them out after, you'd still come off cheaper

• Like 2

22 hours ago, colia100 said:

Ps3 without a doubt.

Not only can you get pretty much all the games for 5 bucks or under, even with a good internet connection the games are laggy and much more pixelated.

How many games could you realistically play in a month that would justify the cost of the subscription.

Just buy the console and get hard copies of the games, you can then play at your own rythm and even if you chuck them out after, you'd still come off cheaper

This is true. Realistically i would only be playing maybe 1-2 games a month on the PS3 and I wouldn't feel rushed to get value for my money. 

Looks like im buying an PS3 again! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, subermedic said:

This is true. Realistically i would only be playing maybe 1-2 games a month on the PS3 and I wouldn't feel rushed to get value for my money. 

Looks like im buying an PS3 again! 

just be mindful if you pick up one of the older models at this point they'll be running much hotter, as the thermal paste has dried up at this point and isn't very effective. It's relatively easy to replace the paste though as long as you have a philips head screwdriver, and a torx bit for the HDD tray