PS3 or PSNOW? Help!

subermedic

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

just be mindful if you pick up one of the older models at this point they'll be running much hotter, as the thermal paste has dried up at this point and isn't very effective. It's relatively easy to replace the paste though as long as you have a philips head screwdriver, and a torx bit for the HDD tray

Im going to go for one of the slim models as I heard they're the best for longevity, but yeah I had to do that with my OG fat model back in the day.

16 minutes ago, subermedic said:

Im going to go for one of the slim models as I heard they're the best for longevity, but yeah I had to do that with my OG fat model back in the day.

Yeah they are, I'm still on the launch slim model, and only recently replaced the thermal paste inside and cleaned all of the components. It runs a lot more quiet now

The only advantage to getting a older is that some can play PS2 games (discs) and it may be able to support Linux. Those feature don't matter at all for trophy hunting but playing PS2 games is nice. I personally have a Super Slim model (250gb) and I really enjoy it. The Super Slim has a 500gb model as well if you really need that much space. The normal Slim has 250gb and 320gb versions. I have had my PS3 for over 5 years, have used non-stop for week, had it sit around un-loved and have it used like a normal person. It hasn't had a single mechanical issue over the years. The only possible downside is that the disk isn't one of those auto feeding disk tray on every console these day. You have to slide open the top (you can open it with a button if you want but it's more fun to use your hand), insert the disc on the spinney thingy by hand and slide it closed it by hand. It's a very fun process to perform and a automatic disc drive can fail on you; automatic disc drives are overated anyway.

As far as the severs are concerned, I took a cursory glance over @subermedic's trophy list and I saw no games with closed multiplayer servers that I know of. You may want to focus on completing the Last of Us and the Uncharted games first because those servers are closing down soon. Mass Effect 3, GTA IV, Dark Souls and GTA5 are still up I believe. Remember to do research to make sure a game is all good before you buy it. As far as Sony shutting down PS3 online is concerned, I would be as fast as you can with PS3 games because I feel it's going to happen soon. I say we have 3 years if we're lucky but I'm just going with my gut. 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2019 at 6:06 AM, TheYuriG said:

Get a model with big HDD if you don't want to consider upgrading yourself. Look at no less than 320GB, but preferrably 500GB. PS3 install times are horrendous, so you want a bigger HDD to store all games you wanna play at once and never actually have to sit and wait the install to go through. Everything you want should be getting installed overnight or whenever you are away from your system.

Can't say much about models, I have a slim and a super slim, and both work just fine for me.

If you go mostly disc instead of digital don't waste your money on such a big HDD. I have only 60 GB PS3 and only run out of room because I have huge downloaded games.

That is the most negative thing about PS3 for me is it takes foreeeeeever to download stuff. However, there are some very cool games out there that are only available on disc.

3D Dot Game Heroes

Afrika

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1

Most licensed games I think

Just think about what types of games you see yourself actually playing and decide from there.

1 hour ago, SixyLove said:

The only advantage to getting a older is that some can play PS2 games (discs) and it may be able to support Linux. Those feature don't matter at all for trophy hunting but playing PS2 games is nice. I personally have a Super Slim model (250gb) and I really enjoy it. The Super Slim has a 500gb model as well if you really need that much space. The normal Slim has 250gb and 320gb versions. I have had my PS3 for over 5 years, have used non-stop for week, had it sit around un-loved and have it used like a normal person. It hasn't had a single mechanical issue over the years. The only possible downside is that the disk isn't one of those auto feeding disk tray on every console these day. You have to slide open the top (you can open it with a button if you want but it's more fun to use your hand), insert the disc on the spinney thingy by hand and slide it closed it by hand. It's a very fun process to perform and a automatic disc drive can fail on you; automatic disc drives are overated anyway.

As far as the severs are concerned, I took a cursory glance over @subermedic's trophy list and I saw no games with closed multiplayer servers that I know of. You may want to focus on completing the Last of Us and the Uncharted games first because those servers are closing down soon. Mass Effect 3, GTA IV, Dark Souls and GTA5 are still up I believe. Remember to do research to make sure a game is all good before you buy it. As far as Sony shutting down PS3 online is concerned, I would be as fast as you can with PS3 games because I feel it's going to happen soon. I say we have 3 years if we're lucky but I'm just going with my gut. 

My understanding was that PSNow uses PS3 emulation so if they took PS3 servers offline that means that it would kill trophies and online on PSNOW which is super unlikely to happen so maybe we've got a lot longer than 3 years. And thanks for the heads up! I'm excited to go back and replay the Mass Effect Trilogy so good to know about Mass effect 3 online. 

It would be good if there was a directory of all the PS3 games with trophies no longer obtainable.

Edited by subermedic

Just got my PS3 SSlim today with a few games that I had trophy lists on.

Super pumped to go back into these games!

I'm going for the plats for all of these games. If anyone wants to help or needs any of the trophies too hmu and lets boost/play online together!

• Anarchy Reigns - This is my second favorite platinum games game! 
  • Batman Arkham Trilogy - I already have all the trophies for Asylum except the combat challenges.
  • Dead Rising 2 - I just recently got the platinum for this on the PS4 and already have TIR and zombie genocide on PS3 so may aswell cleanup!
  • Deadly Premonition
  • Human Revolution
  • Silent Hill 2&3 HD
  • Silent Hill Downpour
  • Resident Evil Cleanups
  • Sleeping Dogs - I'm only a few trophies off the plat

If anyone else any any recommendations on some cool PS3 plats to get let me know!

Edited by subermedic

Ah the famous question of the PS3 servers going down. Personally i think up until the PS5 we are probably fine for sure. BUT once the PS5 is out, i think it may be a matter of borrowed time. Im not saying they will close it right away on release day, but with the PS5 being out and focussing on that one, they may announce a closure date for the PS3 online support. 

I don't worry as much when it comes to Xbox because Microsoft is super supportive of the backward compatibility and intend to have everything that Xbox One plays also play on their next console. I don't know how PSNow is important for Sony, especially the PS3 side of it, 

In any case this year i have been trying to play as many of my PS3 exclusives as i could, will keep doing so this summer at leats up until big release season.