The Proposal to Fixing the Platinum Trophy: The Ribbon System

Ribbon of Effort Percentage  

473 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort? (For example, '75%' means any platinum trophy you earn with a 0% - 75% rarity gets you a ribbon)

• 75% (If set this high, it would include most games that take hours to complete while still excluding all games which take minutes)
    • 70%
    • 65%
    • 60%
    • 55%
    • 50% (If set this low, games like Spider-Man won't get a Ribbon of Effort)

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

How would these be affected by flagged games?

That's a good question, you'd obviously be taken off the leaderboards (and rarity leaderboards if those get implemented), however trophies don't get removed if someone is taken off the boards, so these wouldn't necessarily need to be deleted either - they're basically just a counter for platinum trophies based off rarity. I wouldn't overthink these too much regarding cheating, especially if someone is taken off the boards for getting flagged they won't be able to be compared with anyone that is on the boards based off their ribbons.

Edited by BlindMango

11 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

I mean, I like it, but not on the toolbar. The toolbar is currently showing all the numbers that come directly from Sony and it feels a bit wrong to start making up stats (I say that in the nicest way) and putting them there as well. Maybe put it next to the hidden/premium icons?

That's a possibility, however it may look better at the top, maybe we could put a vertical line between them and the trophy stats  R R  |  T T T T

We also want people to directly compare it to platinum trophy count, and be as close to the platinum trophies as possible and similar in size & format.

9 minutes ago, snakebit10 said:

When can we expect to see the ribbons on our page?

Will the ribbons take 100% games into count or will the system just be for games with platinums?

If people like it Sly can start working on it, and it would only count games with platinum trophies

9 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Is there a way we could do this for fastest achievers too (top 50)? I think that would be badass.

Hey that's a good idea! As least something to be considered - I wonder if that's possible since those stats are apparently counted on the fly.

7 minutes ago, Sofa King said:

I assume these would self adjust over time with fluctuating rarities?

That's correct! That would add some challenge and also add some unexpected positives sometimes - I've had a few lists on my profile reach ultra rare status out of the blue after having the platinum for years, so that means the ribbon count would have gone up.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

Almost totally OT: may I ask why Mr. "Username" is actually from Poland? ;). Good choice ;).

Back on track: I like the idea, sounds and looks interesting!

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 3

I gotta say I really like this new feature :) although, it’s never enough to propose the 75% trophies on the profile as a new “rarity”, so we could check all “very common” trophies acquired. That 50% common trophies number is increasing, even for ultrarare platinums :( 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smashero said:

Almost totally OT: may I ask why Mr. "Username" is actually from Poland? ;). Good choice ;).

Back on track: I like the idea, sounds and looks interesting!

I basically found a user with good enough stats with a banner image for a recent game I wanted to use and photoshopped away, it so happened he was from Poland :P 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

That's a possibility, however it may look better at the top, maybe we could put a vertical line between them and the trophy stats  R R  |  T T T T

We also want people to directly compare it to platinum trophy count, and be as close to the platinum trophies as possible and similar in size & format.

If people like it Sly can start working on it, and it would only count games with platinum trophies

Hmmm, maybe a vertical line would help. It still seems like a weird dynamic between Sony numbers and our numbers.

Also, why wouldn't 100% games be counted? If the point of the ribbon to show off the effort of trophies instead of sheer number and restore the emphasize on completing really hard games, then there is definitely some non-platinum games that need some recognition as well. 

Just now, Kittet3 said:

Hmmm, maybe a vertical line would help. It still seems like a weird dynamic between Sony numbers and our numbers.

Also, why wouldn't 100% games be counted? If the point of the ribbon to show off the effort of trophies instead of sheer number and restore the emphasize on completing really hard games, then there is definitely some non-platinum games that need some recognition as well. 

The reason is because they have to equate to platinum trophies, otherwise you'd have situations where people will have people with more ribbons of effort than platinum trophies, which would defeat the purpose of what they signify and ultimately end up being confusing. But heck, there could eventually be another ribbon for non-platinum games - who knows :dunno:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheYuriG said:

I think the Ribbon of Effort should be changed to 50%. Not doing that low because of games like Spiderman just makes me thing it's meant to indicate exclusively the EZPZ. Spiderman isn't hard, it's okay that over half of its player got the plat. It's a good game, people don't want to stop playing it.

High percentage just means that, a lot of people will play to the finish, as much as low percentage means most people won't play to the finish.

In the end, this is still going to be a bandage fix to the broken trophy system and the leaderboards will still prioritize EZPZ above everything else, so those icons will continue to only be just indicative icons and nothing else. I would honestly rather have an effort put into different leaderboards, like rarity or non-stacking per example, but that's possibly just me.

My exact thoughts on changing it to 50% because 75% is a tad too much imho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Property_Damage said:

Maybe add a ribbon for 1st in the world achievers or top 10 in the world, i know i got a couple of those in my collection

Someone else mentioned that above and I personally love that idea, but I understand those stats are generated on the fly when loading the page, so I'm not certain if Sly would be able to do it or not =/

I do like what this is trying to do, bringing more value to games that require more effort and all, but my first reaction to the Ribbon of Effort in particular is that I'm not a fan of having this number prominently displayed which will discourage players from playing certain games that don't meet an arbitrarily chosen 75% rarity standard. I, for example, don't have any of these above 75% rarity games yet and I really don't want any more external pressures like this influencing which games I play. Sure you could say that an 80% platinum wouldn't reduce my effort score, or that it's up to me whether I even care about it, but that's just ignoring the reality of the situation. 

I also don't like these hard cutoffs that suggest that a 74.9% rarity game is worth full value but a 75.1% game is worth nothing at all. I would always prefer a system that is more continuous than that, reflecting the actual value of each platinum trophy.

I'm curious if each player's ribbons would be based on the rarities as they are constantly changing or would it be taken from when you earn the platinum?

• Like 1

I'm very much in favour of this idea and I think it sounds great for the most part. Given recent trends, it's nice to be able to tell what kind of trophy hunter someone is at a glance. I like that it highlights people who put in the effort and obtain ultra rare platinums. I think the ribbons looks totally fine at the top of the profile.

Personally, I take issue with the blue ribbon being called "The Ribbon of Effort" considering how plats with 75% rarity or higher don't take much effort at all to obtain. I think "The Ribbon of Participation" or something like that reflects reality better without attacking their choices too much. :P Also, I think the requirement for one of these ribbons should be lowered to 70% even if it risks some good games getting caught in the crossfire. 75% just seems too high.

EDIT: Scratch that last part. I misunderstood the blue ribbon requirements. The name sounds fine and I think the rarity requirement should be lowered to either 50% or 60%.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1