The Proposal to Fixing the Platinum Trophy: The Ribbon System

Ribbon of Effort Percentage  

473 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort? (For example, '75%' means any platinum trophy you earn with a 0% - 75% rarity gets you a ribbon)

• 75% (If set this high, it would include most games that take hours to complete while still excluding all games which take minutes)
    • 70%
    • 65%
    • 60%
    • 55%
    • 50% (If set this low, games like Spider-Man won't get a Ribbon of Effort)

21 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

No offense, but this is silly. I don't need someone else telling me whether my trophy is worth a damn or not; it means something to me, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered earning it in the first place. 

Seems like this is only meant to appease the elitists. 

I think it's a really strong point against the ribbon system implementation!

I support the ribbon system, but this comment I just quoted makes me believe that "seeing" ribbons could be optional from user to user, something you could adjust in the settings, even though I don't know if that would be possible once the ribbons would be attached to the tool bar.

Edit: I was re-reading some of BlindMango's replies and, yeah, the ribbons wouldn't be optional, we wouldn't be able to switch it on and off.

Another thing: it's kinda sad realizing that 100% games (without platinums) wouldn't be taken in consideration for both ribbons count. It's another matter to be discussed.

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 1

I like this feature and it's potential, finally something for those of us that put hours of effort into challenging games.

I think 75% is a good figure to use, exactly as stated in the OP. Platinums over 75% are usually throw away games that can be done in under an hour, these are the games that are trivialising the trophy system. 50-75% will take some effort, albeit minimal in some cases but they're not the games being targeted.

The best part of this is knowing that there are ideas being implemented on this site. The site has been so quiet with new updates for so long. Excellent.

So, even if a game requiere more than 100+ hours in order to earn the platinum like YS games, Persona, Trails of Cold, Tales of Zestiria, grace or even Sword art online hollow realization, etc., those games go inside the category of the ribbon of effort? if I'm correct 75% is very high. For example Tales of Grace need at least 110 hours in order to earn all, hollow realiziation is a grind hell game and even Persona 4 and 5 that are actually easy games demand a lot of time and the rarity is 6% and almost 10%. Maybe a good percentage could be 50% or maybe less in my opinion to get a ribbon of effort... Because a lot of game that no requiere a lot effort with around just 30 hours to earnd all playing on easy difficulty like Atelier Firis has 27% of rarity (uncommon).

Maybe another ribbon could be a good choice, maybe with a range between 5% to 15%, because I can't put together two games inside the same ribbon system when one of them demand more effort, time and investigation (read walktrough, forums, trophy guide, a lot of missables, etc.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlindMango said:

They'd show up on every profile similar to completion percentage and it's up to the profile owner to find them useful or not to how they play

In addition to my previous comment. Why doesn't this statement apply to the average rarity stat? It appeared on the profile as a stat to cover exactly the same as this does. "Easy trophies Vs hard trophies" yet everybody got their knickers in a twist about dlc rarity so now we've got a completely made up number for all dlc trophies. Why not change that back to what it should be and say "deal with it" to them?

Wheres the option to say I dont like it and to opt out of it? Just cause Sony doesn't have any credibility to their trophy lists anymore doesn't mean we should start naming and shaming people for playing certain games.

If we get this badge, I want the next one to be a filter for anyone who plays a VN or anime game with the ribbon titled Kiddy Fiddler, cause it's basically what Sony are insinuating,  so why don't we

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WakeUpHP said:

I love the idea, and none of the arguments I've read here against the proposal are at all convincing.  There's still the question of 100% games but I suppose that can always be addressed at a later date.

This.

Just to emphasise again, I'm not an elitist, a completionist, or anything else. I have crap plats and autopop plats, alongside 200hr investment games. I'd like a way to show how many of each I have. A nice little ribbon for a hard plat is all good, it's not like you are looking to give out cowpat awards for our easy ones.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

Snip because nobody likes scrolling a really long page when people quote an entire post and reply with just a few words.

This is a far better idea in my opinion. In fact this would save me the effort of going to a persons trophy log, selecting plats and then going through and seeing how many they have under each rarity. Not to mention people have asked in the past about displaying their 5 rarest plats over their 5 rarest trophies because (like me) their 5 rarest trophies can all be from the same game.

• Like 3

This is a really good idea! and I hope there will be some kind of leaderboard for this

But I have a suggestion :

From what I read (the first page of the topic) you said that the "Ribbon of Rarity" will not count games that doesn't have a platinum trophy , wouldn't that discourage people from playing Hard 100% games? Maybe the "Ribbon Of Rarity" should count the 100% games that are below 5% rarity with the Ultra Rare Platinums? (Plats below 5% rarity) . 

I think this would be a nice addition . Thanks for your hard work on the site!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STARLOVE said:

The people who value the leaderboard win too.

I would like to know what makes you think that. It sounds good, it really does, but I am curious how that would work. Because as far as I can see, these are just some extra ribbons on your profile. I don't think this idea is fleshed out enough for them to be implemented, but if they were, I would just choose to not really care about them. One thing I would never feel obliged to do is increase those numbers by playing certain games and not playing other games.

It's a bit like the other idea put forward here a couple of times where you would have a ribbon showing how many times you are the first or fastest achiever. In my situation those would always stay at 0. For starters, I do not have the time or the talent. I also simply do not attribute any value to it. So I will just choose not to care. Just like plat stackers do not care about their rarity and will therefor not care about these new ribbons either.

Anyway, let's not get too annoyed with each other over this because in the end Sly would need to do the work so the chances of this happening any time soon are slim to none. xD

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheLakota said:

No offense, but this is silly. I don't need someone else telling me whether my trophy is worth a damn or not; it means something to me, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered earning it in the first place. 

Seems like this is only meant to appease the elitists. 

Well, trophy hunting was always an elitist hobby. I mean before a new type of player entered the field and complained about the elitists. I really like this system, it's just another stat.

Isn't one of the mantras of people who only play super easy games that "everyone should just play what they want and not care about others"?

This could also apply to the ribbons. Just "don't care".

• Like 4

I like this idea, I also think that it's possibly a direction Sony will have to take of their own accord during the PS5 life-cycle.

I personally think that the current Playstation trophy structure isn't sustainable at all. I'd love to see a prestige levelling system. Where every 100 Platinums you reset to 0 but you gain a Prestige level.