The Proposal to Fixing the Platinum Trophy: The Ribbon System

Ribbon of Effort Percentage  

473 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort? (For example, '75%' means any platinum trophy you earn with a 0% - 75% rarity gets you a ribbon)

• 75% (If set this high, it would include most games that take hours to complete while still excluding all games which take minutes)
    • 70%
    • 65%
    • 60%
    • 55%
    • 50% (If set this low, games like Spider-Man won't get a Ribbon of Effort)

I generally like the idea of a Ribbon of Rarity. I came here because this is a trophy tracking website and I am interested in things pertaining to tracking my trophies. Any additional stats you provide, I would take an interest in and I'd be interested in seeing at a quick glance how many of my Platinum's are UR. I think it'd be a useful tool for adding context to a profile. The ribbon is a decent way of doing that. I'm not sure I love the idea of a Ribbon necessarily...maybe a Medal instead? Livestock win Ribbons at fairs. Just like Ralph, I want a medal!

As far as people using them to shame others...I agree that it happens already and anyone can scroll down a profile and see what kind of games are on a persons list if that is what they want to do...I don't think having a ribbon on top will stop anyone from judging or shaming others lists...just make it a little easier maybe. That wouldn't be what I'd use it for...but I'm sure it would be used by some for that reason. But you can't stop elitists or trolls from being what they are. I would hate to see a potential feature scrapped because of something you can't really control anyways.

16 hours ago, BlindMango said:

That's a good question, you'd obviously be taken off the leaderboards (and rarity leaderboards if those get implemented), however trophies don't get removed if someone is taken off the boards, so these wouldn't necessarily need to be deleted either - they're basically just a counter for platinum trophies based off rarity. I wouldn't overthink these too much regarding cheating, especially if someone is taken off the boards for getting flagged they won't be able to be compared with anyone that is on the boards based off their ribbons.

This right here is my main concern with this idea. If I understand correctly, trophy rarity on this site is already skewed based on the way the trophies are tallied. Is it that people who are flagged/removed from a game list for impossible times stamps still have their stats counted towards the games trophy count? They are removed from the leaderboard, but their trophies still affects the rarity? If so I don't think it should... 

I believe that is how it works based on the following examples...for the purposes of ribbons it wouldn't affect them since they would stay UR anyways, but I'm picking them because they are easy to see what happens. Crypt of the Necrodancer shows that 5 people have achieved the Platinum/100% however only 3 show up on the list; Attacking Zegata 2 shows that 1 person has the Platinum/100% yet no one has even earned a single trophy yet; Space Hulk shows that 9 people have the Platinum/100% but only 4 are on the list. I'm sure it is probably the same with the heavily cheated games with thousands of players. It seems like the Platinum/100% lists work like a tally sheet and just add one every time a profile gets the Platinum/100% but doesn't erase the tally if they are then found to have illegitimate timestamps. I think this would need to be fixed before a Ribbon system could accurately reflect exactly what you want it to reflect.

I'm all for everything you want to add so long as it doesn't become a muddled mess.

/edit situation clarified!

Edited by Briste

3 minutes ago, Briste said:

This right here is my main concern with this idea. If I understand correctly, trophy rarity on this site is already skewed based on the way the trophies are tallied. Is it that people who are flagged/removed from a game list for impossible times stamps still have their stats counted towards the games trophy count? They are removed from the leaderboard, but their trophies still affects the rarity? If so I don't think it should... 

That's not the case, they will keep their ribbons on their profile but if they are taken off the boards then their trophies & ribbons aren't counted anymore in leaderboard or rarity stats across the site. Same thing goes with trophies right now - they keep their trophies on their profile but they don't count towards leaderboard or rarity stats if they are off the boards

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

Just now, BlindMango said:

That's not the case, they will keep their ribbons on their profile but if they are taken off the boards then their trophies aren't counted anymore in leaderboard or rarity stats across the site. Same thing goes with trophies right now - they keep their trophies on their profile but they don't count towards leaderboard or rarity stats if they are off the boards

Thanks for the quick reply! If that's the case...what causes the discrepancy on those games individual leaderboards?

1 minute ago, Briste said:

Thanks for the quick reply! If that's the case...what causes the discrepancy on those games individual leaderboards?

It's something about those games not refreshing properly when they should be - I think it's part of certain things Sly's working on that may fix that if I'm not mistaken

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

If an option were to be added to hide this, the only workable thing would be a setting where you would uncheck a box and not be able to see any ribbons on anyone's profiles, including your own.

See my main question is when you say hide, do you mean just you don't see it and everyone else still can, or hide it so no-one ever can?

Like sure, all I do is ezpz, but if you want an average reflection of how you are on the leaderboard, why don't we just work on new leaderboards, or this one - https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/rarity

The fact that the top profiles are all cheaters says enough as it is imo.

What about adding a ribbon that shows the rarity of the 100%? i mean, platinum of Uncharted 3 (ps3) has 11% rarity but his 100% only has 0,29%.

This ribbon is only for games with DLC, that's because the rare plats already have the ribbon of rarity (the orange one).

Edited by AN0n1m8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

The system is not arbitary and is very well planned out. I don't really get this ego argument either. Oh no, people who have lower than 75% plat will get a ribbon. We're all kings now gentlemen, we are all Gods, stroke that ego. You're delusional.

It is indeed arbitrary: just look at @BlindMango's reasons for settling with 75%. Thanks for the petty "delusional" comment though. You certainly got me there.

11 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

What you mean to say is that you don't want people to quickly find out how many garbage games one played that are very fun to play for you, right? The Ribbons don't change anything. If I wanted to sneer at your profile, I'd just look at your ratio of UR to Common trophies. I don't need Ribbons for that. Ribbons are a quick way to look at profile effort. I like that. You obviously don't. You are always free to leave the website, I guess. Disclaimer: I don't care about your profile, nor do I care about your UR to common trophy ratio.

So there we have it: you think my list of games is garbage? Over 15% of my platinums are ultra rare, yet that's not good enough for you?

Do you measure a profile's worth by it's UR to common ratio? Do you think doing so may limit opportunities to find some genuinely good games that aren't necessarily as obscure/difficult/tedious as the games you play?

You obviously cared enough about my profile to visit it, so there's that, buttercup.

15 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

I don't fear that because I don't buy shit games

Subjective, elitist shite.

15 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

Imagine being so entitled that just because you paid for a subscription it holds any weight to your opinion and what you want.

If I paid for something you're damn right I deserve to have my voice heard. I'll refrain from addressing the rest of your condescension, little child.

17 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

For BlindMango, it's very clear that the majority of people want this to happen.

This thread is indicative of but a small subset of the community. What you're engaging in is confirmation bias.

• Like 4

This is a great idea. Sincerely, I really like it a lot. I haven't read through the comments yet but my immediate thought went to puzzle games like The Witness, The Sexy Brutale and Virtues Last Reward. If you play these games legitimately they are tough as nails however they are also played a lot by people who are sitting there with a guide plugging in all of the solutions for a quick platinum.

Similarly Japanese visual novels, though not really my cup of tea, unfairly suffer in rarity too because there are enough people who want to sit there tapping X for 4 hours, while not reading a word.

I don't know how exactly, but is there a way that the time taken to complete the game can be factored in to the equation too? So that people who earned difficult games with a common rarity by actually playing them can be rewarded too?

1 minute ago, STARLOVE said:

I advise you read a little bit better as nothing is final yet. BlindMango is offering the opportunity to players to come to a collective conclusion. I personally voted for 65%. I don't really care if it's 75 though.

There's no option for declination/opting out.

5 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

Yes, visiting your profile which takes 20 seconds is indeed a huge sign of caring. It took so much effort. I'm ashamed with how much I care.

lol, ok

5 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

You are just not entitled to demand things.

As a paying customer I am. I don't feel I demanded anything; rather, stated I wanted something, and if it is not made available, I shall leave. At least we won't have to converse again if that's the case.

7 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

Also, nice paradox in refraining the condescension "little child".

Classic case of fighting fire with fire. I can only assume you are a child given how poorly you spell and use words/phrases improperly before pulling out the "delusional" card upon receiving the slightest pushback.

9 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

You're one of those people that says "I'm out", yet you keep coming back to spew more nonsense each time.

Oh trust me, I had left peaceably until you decided to get the last word in. No bother, as I'll be sure to block you here shortly. That way, everyone wins!

10 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

Even though it's a small subset of the community, it's very clear that within that subset, a lot more people want this feature in contrast to what you want.

So you're telling me you can say with absolute certainty that the perceived majority in this thread is indicative of the entire website? You're 100% certain? Other than Sly chiming in with analytics/trends, I call bollocks.

12 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

If you want to engage in a more rational discussion, I'm up for it and I'll behave a little better too.

Nah, thanks though. I broke down the majority of your initial post before you came back with passive aggressive comments. We're in disagreement and I do not want to talk to you any further.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kristycism said:

I do like the idea of showing when a profile has effort put into it, but I'm not personally sure that ribbons on the top bar is the best way to go about it? It seems like it's too easy to use it as a "only X% of your games had any effort put into them, therefore you are not worthy of my attention and your opinion on all things trophy-related is worthless" type situation. I dunno though. I personally only care about my own profile (and have never played any of the games that I know are at the core of why action needs to be taken) and am probably more of a completionist than a trophy hunter so :dunno:

However, I do have an alternative suggestion to the ribbon system which will still quickly show the same information at a glance for those who care about it, without needing to force judgement on anyone right at the top of the page.

We already have the box on out profiles that shows our rarest trophies - why not create a kind of drop-down box which allows to quickly switch to rarest Plats on the fly, right on the profile page?

Like so (but with a drop-down box or something to switch between them, I just couldn't be bothered drawing one in):

L98V6Qk.pngZEgfkp3.png

(used my own profile and now feel self-concious on how many uncommon trophies/plats I have compared to everything else...I've never paid attention to it before...time to get more URs)

Having it that way would mean that profiles are largely left unaffected (for those who are opposed to the idea) whilst still allowing those who want to see those kind of statistics to view them with just two button clicks (one to open the drop down, and one to select the option).

I just think the ribbon system is a dangerous road to go down, that leads to alienation and elitism.

Also, side note - I do like the look of the ribbons, they're very pretty, but they don't match at all with the rest of the top bar, so if they're going to be placed there, I don't think the design works and would need to be simplified much more to fit with the other icons, or they'll stand out way too much. That may just be my personal opinion though.

I like this better than the ribbon option because it displays all the stats instead of removing "unworthy" games.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheLakota said:

There's no option for declination/opting out.

lol, ok

As a paying customer I am. I don't feel I demanded anything; rather, stated I wanted something, and if it is not made available, I shall leave. At least we won't have to converse again if that's the case.

Classic case of fighting fire with fire. I can only assume you are a child given how poorly you spell and use words/phrases improperly before pulling out the "delusional" card upon receiving the slightest pushback.

Oh trust me, I had left peaceably until you decided to get the last word in. No bother, as I'll be sure to block you here shortly. That way, everyone wins!

So you're telling me you can say with absolute certainty that the perceived majority in this thread is indicative of the entire website? You're 100% certain? Other than Sly chiming in with analytics/trends, I call bollocks.

Nah, thanks though. I broke down the majority of your initial post before you came back with passive aggressive comments. We're in disagreement and I do not want to talk to you any further.

- I am actually quite curious as to what your reason would be for wanting to opt out? Is it an aesthetical thing maybe?

- But paying for something does not add any value to your argument, and especially the "demand" if it's based on poor argumentation

- I pointed out the hypocrisy in your statement, I'm barely fighting fire with fire. Also, English is not my native language, I do speak 4 languages though.

- Blocking someone huh. As I stated, I am more than happy to not derail further and have a reasonable converstation with you. But upon this offer, you choose to insult my language and belittle me.

- No, I am not saying that the perceived majority in this thread is indicative of the entire website. I don't know what you have against comprehensive reading, but I quite literally say that it's still the majority within the subset of this community. I don't know why you ask the question when I clearly state what I think. Must have been my terrible English.

- You did not break anything down. You chose to throw insults with little to no argumentation. You chose to have a little hissy fit and proclaim you would leave the website of those big meanies wouldn't grant you the option of hiding ribbons.

This system is a great idea. You can expand on it further with some of the suggestions that members have made in this thread. I have addressed all points you threw at me and you only responded the way you have been doing for the past half an hour. Saying you will leave, arguing beside the point and moaning about being belittled, while belittling. Come on, dude. I'm really up for a rational discussion here. Let me put it in here for you again, maybe we can pick it up once more:

1. I am certain that Ribbons will not increase toxicity in players. It doesn't take a Ribbon or lack of it to see who plays cheap games and gets cheap plats. It's a recognition for people who put in effort for their platinums.
2. If people think that they may be shamed, they recognize that the games they bought and platted may indeed be inherently shameful. It doesn't take a class in psychoanalysis to realise this and it's not a far stretch in logic. I honestly don't see the shaming happening either and if it does. It's trophies, who cares if you're being shamed for trophies.
3. The Ribbon system does not get in the way of players their fun. If you enjoy a game like My Name is Mayo, cool. You just won't get a cool ribbon for it. I don't see how this is so problematic.

4. I don't think the Ribbon system will have a huge impact on easy games. There are a lot of easy games. God of War is easy, Flower is easy, Inside is easy. Rarely do these lists reach above 75% though. It seems to me that the only trophy lists you will not get a ribbon for are indeed the cheap games that cather to easily impressed people looking for a quick fix in their plats. It will not affect the top trophy hunter race either, as they still count as leaderboard points.

5. With the rise of these sorts of games, I feel it's absolutely necessary that we indeed head into this direction. I think in the future, if nothing changes, we will unfortunately encounter more games that just cather to cheap plats. This does devalue the leaderboards, which is a great system. Even though there's plenty of cheaters, we also have a system in place for that. Yes, it's not going to cleanse it completely, but the work some of these people have put in is tremendous. It's by far the cleanest leaderboard out there, the fairest and I firmly believe in Mango that he can improve on this further to counter the upcoming trend of playing low effort games for platinums.

______

There, my reasonable arguments and thoughts on why this is a good thing. You may argue back, or you can again try to belittle me.

• Like 3

If you're going to treat easier games and trophies like this, why not just make "hardcore" leaderboards that use the trophy unlock percentage as a way to scale the points given for the trophy. If a platinum is worth 180 points normally, but 96% have unlocked it, on the hardcore leaderboard that trophy is only worth 7.2 (let's say 8 for sake of easy math) points. You aren't called out or shamed by people because of silly ribbons on your profile, its just another way of viewing the metrics IF you care about it enough.

1 minute ago, DylanWhite86 said:

If you're going to treat easier games and trophies like this, why not just make "hardcore" leaderboards that use the trophy unlock percentage as a way to scale the points given for the trophy. If a platinum is worth 180 points normally, but 96% have unlocked it, on the hardcore leaderboard that trophy is only worth 7.2 (let's say 8 for sake of easy math) points. You aren't called out or shamed by people because of silly ribbons on your profile, its just another way of viewing the metrics IF you care about it enough.

That's what the rarity leaderboard essentially was, and an approved formula was never found.

This is a great idea! I hope it gets implemented soon (And not after the series update on 2047 XD)

I would like to add two things:

• Maybe with the ribbon of rarity (Or a new ribbon) you could add the games with DLC trophies that get an overall rarity under 5% after getting 100% of the trophies, sometimes keeping the 100% of a list with DLC's is very hard and could be recognized too (Look at Uncharted 4, 3 or 2, the plats are somewhat easy, but the DLC trophies are horrible)
  • It could be interesting to know how is the ratio between your plats under 75% and your total plats, this ratio is a better indicator of how much ezpz plats do you have in your trophy list. And trying to get this ratio as higher as you can is a good incentive.

I don't know why some people get offended with this, this is a leaderboard, so yeah, people likes to compete, and if long time trophy hunters now see how a lot of people get a lot of ezpz plats and get ahead of them in no time is normal to get pissed... Should I play this type of games just to get your place back on the leadeboard? Nowadays I prefer to see the average rarity of people trophies instead of their level or number of plats, that number now means nothing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Look, with the lack of quality control the focus of platinums shifted. Quantity means nothing anymore. I don't think that people necessarily look down on others and I highly doubt that they cannot find any satisfaction in trophy hunting anymore if they don't shame others. It's just that the amount of trophies and the ranking system going from bronze to platinum is obsolete and tells you nothing about a certain profile anymore or about the difficulty of a game.

The flood of cheap, easy and crappy games with multiple stacks made the trophy system worthless. However, within this community trophy hunting always meant something. And to be honest, I think the drama comes from people pushing themselves into that community with a totally different approach to trophy hunting and then complaining about others, because they tell them what this hobby was actually about. The sad truth is that going for achievements was always elitist, cause it made you go the extra mile. Now there isn't even a mile anymore.

For instance, one player gets a platinum when finishing My Name Is Mayo and another one gets a platinum when finishing Super Meat Boy. So at first glance both profiles display one platinum. With the ribbon system you can now assess what kind of games the players played. A couple of years ago that was not necessary, cause the platinum alone already told you that the player put effort in certain games, even though it was never fully "equal". This is not the case anymore. And yes, I am aware that a couple of years ago there were already games like Hannah Montana or Terminator Salvation. We as a community want to preserve the value of trophies. And yes, within this community trophies meant a lot and they still do.

That is part of what I meant - the comparision. "cheap, easy, crappy games", "the ranking system", "never fully equal" - that profile is worth less "because", and thus by definition, profiles that don't have those kind of games games are "superior". More badges just fuel this mindset.

Don't get me wrong - everyone is welcome to have their opinion on other profiles, but I do find it disturbing that this shall be further promoted above things that are out of this site's hands (how the trophy system works is only influenced by Sony). Ribbons would make that sort of judgement an official PSNP site policy, which I am against.

3 hours ago, nyonmyan said:

Distinguishing from the others is why trophy system exists.

I disagree. For me, the trophy system 's purpose is to shoe the progress in a game. While there are level ranks, Sony does not have a leader board. If trophies were about competion, there would be an offial PSN leaderboard.

1 hour ago, B1rvine said:

@BlindMango

And to the general “unhappy” crowd, just ignore the stat? @RatalaikaGames

This always goes the other way around... just ignore the stacks? Sure, one could just block ribbon images with an add blocker, but since we were asked for opinions...

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 3

So many opinions already, but heck, what's one more?

I couldn't care less about trophy rarity.  Whether someone has mostly ultra rare platinums or none at all doesn't faze me in the least.  I come to this site to learn about games and generally share thoughts and experiences in the gaming community.  Too much focus on what a platinum is, was, or should be is tedious.  

• Like 4