The Proposal to Fixing the Platinum Trophy: The Ribbon System

Ribbon of Effort Percentage  

473 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort? (For example, '75%' means any platinum trophy you earn with a 0% - 75% rarity gets you a ribbon)

• 75% (If set this high, it would include most games that take hours to complete while still excluding all games which take minutes)
    • 70%
    • 65%
    • 60%
    • 55%
    • 50% (If set this low, games like Spider-Man won't get a Ribbon of Effort)

I can't say I have a use for this and don't find it appealing at all...if it was only an option to display them or not for those who care, great...if not, no thanks...i like simple and no clutter...i agree with @mekktor's mentality that the numbers are all quite arbitrary therefore pretty meaningless in my opinion...to me, the bar they would be in represents psn data...i'd like it to stay that way...put site specific stuff as an option or elsewhere...for example, beside the blue h and the yellow p...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sergen said:

I like the ideas, especially for rarity. Plenty of people I know will hunt ultra rare trophies but avoid those that have less than 10 ultra rare trophies on a platinum list, the ribbons to indicate ultra rare platinums will give people more incentive without caring too much about the number of ultra rare trophies on the entire list. I feel like maybe 50-60% is a better cut off point for the "ribbon of effort", because 75% in my opinion is still quite high and allows for plenty of the easiest games on PSN from the past to be given recognition like Hannah Montana, but I guess the effort there was humiliating themselves with a kids game designed for girls. I saw people ask about fastest achiever and first achiever ribbons, maybe a ribbon wouldn't be the best way to go about indicating those things, instead the "S" rank on a person's list could maybe be possible to hover your cursor over, then when you hover over it, it could say "#1 Fastest Achiever, #1 First Achiever" similar to how trophy level can be hovered over with the cursor to give additional info. It's up to the person if they want to pay attention to these stats, but people who go out of their way to earn trophies should be getting some recognition.

The only reason this would be an issue (from what I can tell) is review/early access codes and profiles earning platinum before the game has even been released. Those who want to go for first achiever sometimes don’t even have a chance to.

Just now, Velvet said:

The only reason this would be an issue (from what I can tell) is review/early access codes and profiles earning platinum before the game has even been released. Those who want to go for first achiever sometimes don’t even have a chance to.

My example was for first place, but the hovering could be for any position in the 100% club for the game, or simply be restricted to top 50 for both categories. Most games these days get DLC and people with the early copies often don't get the advantage for that and an S Rank indicates people with 100% on the base game and all DLC. No idea is perfect, but I think it would likely satisfy some of the people who want a ribbon specifically for those categories.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DiavoIo___ said:

oh yes please. Even though i only have 1 lol (bfbc2)

I think I have like 3 or 4 if I haven't been kicked out of the top 50 yet. I'm still #1 for one game though.

I think the ribbons idea would be a great way to showcase speedrunners.

• Like 2

If the cutoff is something like 20% or even lower, it would probably not make people that upset about their ratalaika stacks being devalued while still encourage reasonally achievable platinums.

Though seeing it's a "site award", I rather it count based on 100% so it can also fix the "no-platinum" and DLC issues and avoid it being a direct rewrite of "platinum value".

3 hours ago, TheLakota said:

As a paying member I'm telling you this is not something I want. 

As a paying customer liking this idea, how do you propose this gets resolved?

The majority (based off picking something besides 75%, and the general responses) seem to indicate people want/like the idea.

How should someone (at a quick glance) get noticed for beating Super Meat Boy, since they’ll be “shamed” for being lower on the leaderboard than someone who did 10 stacks of RootLetter?

Edit: @Rally-Vincent--- It’s not possible to ignore, based on my rank declining, and due to being forced into a single leaderboard category, with the stated enjoyment method I listed.

Edited by B1rvine

Useless addition, add more Different milestones if you wanna praise people for doing different things as at least people are custom to using that after all these years; I don't though. This is just people being lazy, if you wanna know about someones ultra rare, fastest completions you either ask them or take a look yourself.

So how does this work for people with PSN Rarity over PSNP are we being strong armed into it?

Will there be an option to not have it?

Challenge and over coming a challenge is different for each one of us, some struggle with Pac-Man and some struggle with Bloodborne

You don't know a persons accomplishments with those by adding a silly ribbon on the screen.

It's the absolute definition of participation award and will encourage nothing but bad behaviour and people will be discriminated against because of either economic, country, language or boosting reasons.

My two cents on it, just think it's extremely lousy

Also it seems to be a way for people to make themselves feel superior to others complex.

Edited by NightRusticDawn

I would think if you added anything to the same bar or column as the trophy counts, it would be in service to correcting the one main shortcoming of the platinum trophy count system, the lack of an easy way to track and display the number of games that you have 100%ed. So the only new icons I would add in the same bar or column as the trophy counts would be like a platinum trophy stamped with a red 100 for plat games with DLC trophies that you have also 100%ed and that green check mark (that is already used for games without a platinum trophy) for non-plat games that you have 100%ed.

Something like this in this order:

100:platinum: 7 :platinum: 58 ✅13 :gold: 325 :silver: 818 :bronze: 2,000 .

Edited by Guardian_owl

10 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Discrimination...? Shaming...? Bullying...? Why nowadays everything is a problem? People like to get platinums to show acomplishments (and sadly a rare platinum is better, maybe in those ezpz games of Ratalaika the concept of rarity on items is lost), and now cant show off them because another people gets offended... If you don't care of what other people thinks of the games you play then why do you care about a ribbon? Please add a Ratalaika Stack Ribbon too, I will be happy to keep it at zero.

It is though, its just a hamfisted way calling people out as "cheaters" because they play easier games to add to their scores. They remove cheaters from the leaderboards already, so don't you just lump people who play Ratalaika games in there too? Let's start marking accounts with ribbons if the player uses a turbo controller or scuf controllers. Then people who use any kind of guide? Didn't beat Dark Souls with Donkey Kong bongo drums, guess your ass gets a ribbon for being a wuss.

The whole point is where does it stop? You don't get to keep moving your arbitrary line in the sand in an already arbitrary system

• Like 1

There is an amount of players who were always excluded, cause they couldn't fulfil certain requirements in order to get a platinum.

Sony and others saw potential in that and gave us super easy 5 minute games.

Now with the ribbon system these players are excluded again which makes them feel upset, cause it looks like that they are back at stage 1 again. ;)

• Like 1

I would be against the idea if it was an obligatory, impossible-to-turn-off option, for the reasons listed in the thread. I really don't like the idea of pushing potentially elitist mindset onto people.

Alternatively, you could expand on the ribbon system with creating a new sub-menu (like stats or level history), where you could fit in all the ribbons that you'd like, rarity, effort, participation, etc. And an option to make them visible to just myself.

Also, that "rarest platinums" idea, that omits everything that is not a platinum (obviously) seems cool as well, it would be nice if you'd consider adding it @BlindMango

But still, why are the features that do not cause this amount of dividedness pushed further? Better milestones, merging guides for stacks/regions, probably few more that i can't remember. No offense, but it seems like BM's bias is making him push this more than other stuff.

It seems people are for this or against it.  Are there any people left that game and do not care about either side of this?  Gaming is about having fun. Sometimes, It's fun to run up a trophy count.  Sometimes I want to play Sniper Elite 4 and be challenged.  Even better, sometimes I'll play Burnout Paradise although I have all the trophies and just want to play for sheer enjoyment.  You cannot track how much other people are playing a game for these reasons.  They do not need a trophy or ribbon.  

This reminds me that people that are young do not remember what it was like before texting.  People communicated with phones or around the neighborhood.  The little league team that won the league got the first place trophy.  Not a participation ribbon or trophy.  Sometimes it's just fun to play the game even though I never got the first place trophy.  I loved being the catcher and the big guys would come in for a slide or better yet just try to run me over to see if I would drop the ball.  I was that guy that stuck his arm up in the air and held the ball up in the dust just to hear the ump say "youuuuuurrrrrr out!".  They never gave me a ribbon or trophy for that.  

I do have friends that love to play the hardest games with Ultra Rares.  They are amazing gamers.  They know it and I tell them.  Now I do not want to play hard games.  I do like that occasional Sniper Elite run on solo where no one sees me and the goal is achieved.  No ding occurs but I still get that rush upon the level completion. 

Those of us that gamed before trophies played hours on end simply for the enjoyment of the game.  Burnout Paradise, Ghost Recon Future Soldier or a James Bond game on hard is so enjoyable now.  The trophies have all been had but it's played for the love of the game.   When I was a kid it was Pong, PacMan or Asteroids.  We didn't get trophies or ribbons, we just played for the rush of a challenge or the fun of it.  Maybe to get on the top 10 on the Arcade Game leaderboard.  It was just the top 10 with initials.  My son has never seen a game like that.  Those of us that have games that have a lot of common trophies will just be people that are gamers.  There is nothing wrong with that.  

Neither side is that important unless it is important to you.  There is not a right or wrong side though both sides will debate it.

Remember to have fun.  After all, we are gaming.   

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

It’s not possible to ignore, based on my rank declining, and due to being forced into a single leaderboard category, with the stated enjoyment method I listed.

Someone please feel free to call me out if I missed something previously... but... 

Adding the ribbon... wouldn't change the leaderboards? You'd still have your same lb rank, just some additional flair on your profile. So I'm not sure how this (the ribbon) solves that (the leaderboard) problem? 

EDIT: Just re-read the first post. He did mention a lb based off the ribbons alone. Carry on. Nothing to see here. 

Edited by Velvet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kfree7 said:

It seems people are for this or against it.  Are there any people left that game and do not care about either side of this?  Gaming is about having fun. Sometimes, It's fun to run up a trophy count.  Sometimes I want to play Sniper Elite 4 and be challenged.  Even better, sometimes I'll play Burnout Paradise although I have all the trophies and just want to play for sheer enjoyment.  You cannot track how much other people are playing a game for these reasons.  They do not need a trophy or ribbon.  

This reminds me that people that are young do not remember what it was like before texting.  People communicated with phones or around the neighborhood.  The little league team that won the league got the first place trophy.  Not a participation ribbon or trophy.  Sometimes it's just fun to play the game even though I never got the first place trophy.  I loved being the catcher and the big guys would come in for a slide or better yet just try to run me over to see if I would drop the ball.  I was that guy that stuck his arm up in the air and held the ball up in the dust just to hear the ump say "youuuuuurrrrrr out!".  They never gave me a ribbon or trophy for that.  

I do have friends that love to play the hardest games with Ultra Rares.  They are amazing gamers.  They know it and I tell them.  Now I do not want to play hard games.  I do like that occasional Sniper Elite run on solo where no one sees me and the goal is achieved.  No ding occurs but I still get that rush upon the level completion. 

Those of us that gamed before trophies played hours on end simply for the enjoyment of the game.  Burnout Paradise, Ghost Recon Future Soldier or a James Bond game on hard is so enjoyable now.  The trophies have all been had but it's played for the love of the game.   When I was a kid it was Pong, PacMan or Asteroids.  We didn't get trophies or ribbons, we just played for the rush of a challenge or the fun of it.  Maybe to get on the top 10 on the Arcade Game leaderboard.  It was just the top 10 with initials.  My son has never seen a game like that.  Those of us that have games that have a lot of common trophies will just be people that are gamers.  There is nothing wrong with that.  

Neither side is that important unless it is important to you.  There is not a right or wrong side though both sides will debate it.

Remember to have fun.  After all, we are gaming.   

Damn straight!

3 minutes ago, Varhur said:

I really don't like the idea of pushing potentially elitist mindset onto people.

But the trophy system is an elitist mindset itself! If people tell me that it is not like that, and that they play just for fun and tracking the progress in their games, then why are they so concerned about a ribbon and being "discriminated" in this site?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

There is an amount of players who were always excluded, cause they couldn't fulfil certain requirements in order to get a platinum.

Sony and others saw potential in that and gave us super easy 5 minute games.

Now with the ribbon system these players are excluded again which makes them feel upset, cause it looks like that they are back at stage 1 again. ;)

Those players would still be able to rack up platinum trophies, they just wouldn't always get a ribbon in addition to that. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Varhur said:

I would be against the idea if it was an obligatory, impossible-to-turn-off option, for the reasons listed in the thread. I really don't like the idea of pushing potentially elitist mindset onto people.

Alternatively, you could expand on the ribbon system with creating a new sub-menu (like stats or level history), where you could fit in all the ribbons that you'd like, rarity, effort, participation, etc. And an option to make them visible to just myself.

Also, that "rarest platinums" idea, that omits everything that is not a platinum (obviously) seems cool as well, it would be nice if you'd consider adding it @BlindMango

But still, why are the features that do not cause this amount of dividedness pushed further? Better milestones, merging guides for stacks/regions, probably few more that i can't remember. No offense, but it seems like BM's bias is making him push this more than other stuff.

I like the rarest platinums idea as well, I do think that should be added too.

I've also brought this up because I know after a certain point it could be possible the trophy system could take the route of Steam Achievements where Sony and developers just may not care about trophies and having something to counter that and make them useful again would be something to have out there in the open. I'm still waiting for those other features too, but Sly's the only one that is able to implement them. Believe me, I bug him all the time about things like that, in the meantime I thought I'd throw this out there too to get feedback and get ideas about it

• Like 2

I forgot to say in my first post that, although I don’t mind this being implemented, I would much prefer if you guys worked on making our huge list of milestones something shorter and more meaningful, either by returning to the old method or by adding the ability of hiding the milestones we don’t care about. 

A cleaner profile would be nice.

• Like 4

1. I'm only for a Ribbon of Rarity. This is at least good indicator of your highest-value plats you can always work on and increase the number.

2. Remember that both 6% and 74% plat rarity qualifies for a "effort" platinum and won't net you Ribbon of Rarity. These two platinums probably require gigantic difference in effort needed to obtain them.

3. Why only count platinums? If you have 98% in Super Meat Boy or other 10/10 game, why you shouldn't be allowed a Ribbon of Effort for the hard trophies you already got in this game?

4. The problem with some people here (don't want to use the word "elitist") is that they seek the bad things on somebody's profile, not the good.

Gamer 1 who have 50/50 platinums under 50% rarity feels as somebody better than a gamer 2 who have 100/120 platinums under 50% and 20/120 Ratalaika platinums. Or you can have 50 UR platinums and 50% average completion and be a casual gamer for somebody who have 5 UR plats and 95% average completion, just because he has a better completion rate.

These people probably would like to revamp the whole site to discard actual leaderboard and include only "true" rarity-based leaderboard (which I am in favor too, but only as a separate thing). Maybe we should ask them how many platinums you are allowed to have with rarity over 75% to not be considered trophy whore? Having a Cat Quest platinum (75.2%) or Lara Croft GO platinum (78.98%) should be a reason to be ashamed? I don't think so. But they're put on the same shelf as those hated Ratalaika games.

5. Just create that damn rarity leaderboard please. If Sly didn't like the formula, work on a good one, even as simple as [R/100 - 1] point per trophy. 100% trophy - 0 pts, 50% trophy - 1 pts, 10% trophy - 9 pts and so on. I supported PSNProfiles with a real cash, so I would like to see better things done about the site than just two small numbers put on your profile.

PS: Yes, I got a plenty of Ratalaika Games on my account (no regional stacks, but PS4 + Vita stack). But even if I didn't, I still wouldn't like the idea of Ribbon of Effort. It just shows nothing special.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex
  • Like 1

I see a lot of people claiming this is what the majority wants. Is that really true? Why isn’t there a poll option to vote against this? I really don’t like this idea. And no, I’m not a stacker of those ezpz games, in fact I hate those games too as much as the majority in this thread. I just don’t think a ribbon for effort will change anything about the leaderboards or the value of your platinums. A ribbon for effort... Lol, it even sounds stupid.

• Like 3