BlindMango

The Proposal to Fixing the Platinum Trophy: The Ribbon System

Ribbon of Effort Percentage   455 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort? (For example, '75%' means any platinum trophy you earn with a 0% - 75% rarity gets you a ribbon)

• 75% (If set this high, it would include most games that take hours to complete while still excluding all games which take minutes)
    • 70%
    • 65%
    • 60%
    • 55%
    • 50% (If set this low, games like Spider-Man won't get a Ribbon of Effort)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

342 posts in this topic

I forgot to say in my first post that, although I don’t mind this being implemented, I would much prefer if you guys worked on making our huge list of milestones something shorter and more meaningful, either by returning to the old method or by adding the ability of hiding the milestones we don’t care about. 

A cleaner profile would be nice.

I stand for this too, I really like the idea :yay::yay:. I have no comments about the placement of the ribbons thou... I like the way it looks, but I'm sure you can come up with something good and different if necesary 😉

Posted (edited)

1. I'm only for a Ribbon of Rarity. This is at least good indicator of your highest-value plats you can always work on and increase the number.

2. Remember that both 6% and 74% plat rarity qualifies for a "effort" platinum and won't net you Ribbon of Rarity. These two platinums probably require gigantic difference in effort needed to obtain them.

3. Why only count platinums? If you have 98% in Super Meat Boy or other 10/10 game, why you shouldn't be allowed a Ribbon of Effort for the hard trophies you already got in this game?

4. The problem with some people here (don't want to use the word "elitist") is that they seek the bad things on somebody's profile, not the good.

Gamer 1 who have 50/50 platinums under 50% rarity feels as somebody better than a gamer 2 who have 100/120 platinums under 50% and 20/120 Ratalaika platinums. Or you can have 50 UR platinums and 50% average completion and be a casual gamer for somebody who have 5 UR plats and 95% average completion, just because he has a better completion rate.

These people probably would like to revamp the whole site to discard actual leaderboard and include only "true" rarity-based leaderboard (which I am in favor too, but only as a separate thing). Maybe we should ask them how many platinums you are allowed to have with rarity over 75% to not be considered trophy whore? Having a Cat Quest platinum (75.2%) or Lara Croft GO platinum (78.98%) should be a reason to be ashamed? I don't think so. But they're put on the same shelf as those hated Ratalaika games.

5. Just create that damn rarity leaderboard please. If Sly didn't like the formula, work on a good one, even as simple as [R/100 - 1] point per trophy. 100% trophy - 0 pts, 50% trophy - 1 pts, 10% trophy - 9 pts and so on. I supported PSNProfiles with a real cash, so I would like to see better things done about the site than just two small numbers put on your profile.

PS: Yes, I got a plenty of Ratalaika Games on my account (no regional stacks, but PS4 + Vita stack). But even if I didn't, I still wouldn't like the idea of Ribbon of Effort. It just shows nothing special.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

I see a lot of people claiming this is what the majority wants. Is that really true? Why isn’t there a poll option to vote against this? I really don’t like this idea. And no, I’m not a stacker of those ezpz games, in fact I hate those games too as much as the majority in this thread. I just don’t think a ribbon for effort will change anything about the leaderboards or the value of your platinums. A ribbon for effort... Lol, it even sounds stupid.

I think it's a nice idea. I like that you'd be able to instantly see how many ultra rare platinums someone has and that you can compare them to number of platinums and the other one is nice as you can see 'real' games as it eliminates all those trophy whore plats while keeping proper games like Before the Storm which is why I voted for 75% so I agree with the sentiment. Conflicted on where the ribbons should appear though.

1 minute ago, Briste said:

I really don't understand all the sand in peoples undies over this...it's a freaking ribbon to show achievement in video game statistics and some people here are scrutinizing it like they were the framers of the Constitution. It would be an added benefit that gives a slight amount of context to a profile...if you don't like it, just ignore it. It isn't going to hurt anyone. None of this stuff is official anyways, it's all for personal use. If you don't see value to the system on your profile, then just pay attention to the stats that are important to you...if you find some value, great, the option would now be there. Nobody has kicked anybody's dog here and nothing has even happened yet so the saltiness is lost on me.

It's not entirely related but is a little related...I find it funny that there are threads condemning Sony for censoring their games, how PS+ is taking things away, how we should have options and choice in gaming and our profiles...and here comes a harmless idea that @BlindMango clearly spent a lot of time and put a lot of thought into a ribbon to add a dimension to a profile...and now the world as we know it is coming to an end. Please...add features...continue to try and improve the site...this is not an answer but is an improvement.

Absolutely!

1 minute ago, Briste said:

I really don't understand all the sand in peoples undies over this...it's a freaking ribbon to show achievement in video game statistics and some people here are scrutinizing it like they were the framers of the Constitution. It would be an added benefit that gives a slight amount of context to a profile...if you don't like it, just ignore it. It isn't going to hurt anyone. None of this stuff is official anyways, it's all for personal use. If you don't see value to the system on your profile, then just pay attention to the stats that are important to you...if you find some value, great, the option would now be there. Nobody has kicked anybody's dog here and nothing has even happened yet so the saltiness is lost on me.

Um.. he asked for our opinions on the matter? 

1 minute ago, Velvet said:

Um.. he asked for our opinions on the matter? 

So that means people have to be salty and sling mud at each other? Did I miss something? An opinion has to be laced with vitriol towards each other?

Posted (edited)

The Proposal to Fixing the Platinum Trophy

I'm not so sure about this being a case of fixing the platinum, but more so fixing the mindsets of those who feel more entitled than others because of a statistic. The value of a platinum trophy is only that of what the owner makes it, not by how many people have earned it. I've tried to keep up with reading all the feedback before posting, but it just seems like what could essentially be a nice feature, or cosmetic... wherever it be displayed, is being turned into filtering system.

Introducing ribbons as a feature isn't the problem. It's the supposed purpose behind them that just doesn't seem right. I'm a casual trophy hunter these days, I've played games across the difficulty spectrum and my view on what I've earned or what somebody else has earned is neutral. There are probably people below me on leaderboards with more rarer platinums, people above me with more "ezpz" platinums. It doesn't make a difference in reality.

If ribbons were to be added, then the only two I'd really understand would be an Ultra Rare ribbon, because props.. well done I guess, and a ribbon showing the number of completed 100% games. Yes, I'm aware this thread is about the platinum trophy, but games without them deserve some recognition too.

8 minutes ago, Briste said:

if you don't like it, just ignore it. It isn't going to hurt anyone.

Couldn't this also apply to those with an issue with platinum rarity/difficulty?

Edited by Rezzua

Just now, Briste said:

So that means people have to be salty and sling mud at each other? Did I miss something? An opinion has to be laced with vitriol towards each other?

No, but you just made that sound like people aren't allowed to be against it is all 

For this statistic to be meaningful, it must be with 50%.

What if we expand a little on this. A platinum gives a ribbon and 100% games give ribbon pieces. This way 100% games will be more rewarding than they are now without matching them to a platinum and breaking the system. 2 or 3 pieces can make a full ribbon. The stats still show full ribbons on your page so it looks clean, but when you mouseover it will show more detailed information.

Adding a couple more ribbons categories so we have 4, the same as trophies. <1%, 1-5%, 5-20% and 20-50%. Having just 2 rarities seems a little low and it makes certain ribbons give huge ranges. Like this is feels more balanced and could potentially be used for the rarity board as suggested in the OP.

I'm neutral to the idea.  I like the effort that was put into it though, it looks very nice.  I just don't really care since it's just going to be another feature that points out that the games I play aren't "good enough" to be considered impressive.  So it's not going to affect me either way, although maybe it'll make people look down on my profile anymore.  Oh well.

The ribbon designs do look nice, though, it's clean and simple, I like the overall idea.

Posted (edited)

Someone earlier said they wanted to see something similar for top 50 fastest achievers and it made me think of the potential this idea has

Couldn't this be expanded to all sorts of things and be displayed above or below the trophy cabinet, rather than being an actual stat? Sort of like PSNProfiles' own achievement system based on various profile stats

I was always kind of torn on the idea because while I'm in support of the harshest of punishments and shaming for people with Ratalaika platinums, I thought it would be kind of confusing to have such a random stat displayed so prominently on a profile. Especially if you don't really keep up with forum stuff. There's no real reason to make a distinction between platinums with an arbitrary cut-off point like 75%.

But if it's part of some larger side feature, that means it doesn't need to be taken as seriously, and can include other things people do with their profiles, like speedruns, earliest achievers, series completed (assuming Sly doesn't spend the rest of his life trying to fix profile auto-uploads and actually gets around to finishing it), rare platinums earned, or even the trophy alphabet thing.

And since it can still use ribbons, it won't need to take up much room and can be seen at a glance, so the original intention of the idea still works

Edited by Shadiochao

Love both ribbons ideas, great to look at a glance and each I would find meaningful.

for those who don’t like them, just ignore it.  There are things on this site that don’t really match my interests but so be it.  But this idea is pretty cool.

24 minutes ago, Briste said:

It's not entirely related but is a little related...I find it funny that there are threads condemning Sony for censoring their games, how PS+ is taking things away, how we should have options and choice in gaming and our profiles...and here comes a harmless idea that @BlindMango clearly spent a lot of time and put a lot of thought into a ribbon to add a dimension to a profile...and now the world as we know it is coming to an end. Please...add features...continue to try and improve the site...this is not an answer but is an improvement.

It is the attitude of players behind the suggestion - the reason for the suggestion are the endlessly repeated complaints about how easy trophy lists "devalue" the honest, hard working gamer (TM), how UR trophies have to be held higher than common ones (the list is endless, we all know it). Making it an official site feature would mean officially acknowledging that sort of thinking by PSNP. People here can be very condescending when they judge other people's profiles, and the question that lurks behind this suggestion ius: Does the community want to support this kind of behavior? It seems as if the answer is yes, but don't be surprised that this doesn't come unanimously.

I have some 100% that required much more effort than the majority of platinums. 100% with DLC also are some huge work, one in mind is battlefield:hardline with 40k kills for all dlcs. it would be nice to add them to the counter, maybe with a third ribbon?

Don't know how implementing works and if it's not possible to make them count, maybe ribbons can take count of trophies (rare, common, ultrarare) and give a level like now we have with the sony system. Basically all your trophies will count and ribbons will be one for the level of your cumulative rare trophies, one for the ultra rare and so on.

Anyway, i like the idea.

29 minutes ago, Rezzua said:

Couldn't this also apply to those with an issue with platinum rarity/difficulty

Not exactly...if it doesn't exist, those that like it can't ignore it into existence where as if it does exist, those that don't like it can still see the things they like.

32 minutes ago, Velvet said:

No, but you just made that sound like people aren't allowed to be against it is all 

I apologize then. I didn't mean you can't not like it, I simply meant it's not so life-changing or important that it is worth getting up in arms about. I can't see the harm to adding features.

4 hours ago, BlindMango said:

While this isn't a bad idea, it would potentially make the general idea of what the Ribbon system is trying to do foggy and essentially be prone to putting 'award spam' up there. We don't want it to be like a Call of Duty game where you getting one kill will give you 30 awards :P 

While people have had some good ideas for ribbons, we'd probably only want to launch it with 2 and only ever have 3 total, otherwise at 4 or more people may not bother keeping track as it overtakes actual trophy tier count (bronze, silver, gold, platinum)

Completely understand now I've had time to read it through more :) 

Better create a rank of rarity and platinum trophies... In my opinion, if the people want UR trophies, with that rank, their efforts could be shown. The same with a rank of platinum, those ribbons for me is a way for elitists have a chance of say that your profile is bad because you played Megamind, My name is Mayo and bla bla bla.

Is hard of make a hard ranking anyway cause a games like Fifa with 2% when they aren´t difficult or mainstream (a lot of FPS shooters are UR and VR), and a lot of indies that are UR because are shit games that need 20 hours, without platinum and only the "chosen players that liked that game" got the trophies. Also, games that are difficult but their public is skilled in games and patience like JRPG with time estimated time of 100 hours,but cause that public, have 20% of rarity (one example, I am playing Danganronpa 2 and this is not a game of "20% rarity" in terms of difficulty, is tiring get the platinum, but because have a public that love this type of games...)

Anyway, do a ranking of difficult catching the result of subtracting the percentage obtained from 100% (if the platinum has been achieved by 30% of the people, 70 points of difficulty, 5% - 95 points). Isn't the best way but is better than nothing.

If you wanna play ultra hard games , do it, if you wanna get easy platinums, do it. If you wanna stay in the top of the ranking, play that shit games while you play your UR game, put in the cabinet your best trophy and end of the story.