Network pass for brand new physical copies

JeromeSpree

I yesterday found myself in the same situation as some people from what I have read in this game's forum since the servers shutdown announcement.

To summarize quickly I had a sealed copy of the game collecting dust and installed it yesterday to find out when typing the network pass that it was invalid or had simply expired.

Even if some people contrarily to me do not care about paying 10€ for a network pass, it is simply impossible for them to proceed since it has simply disappeared from the store; at least in Europe.

I just decided to give a phone call to Sony's assistance from my country.

I won't talk about the girl who apparently had no idea of what I was talking about and 'smartly' hung up the phone during the waiting music after having told me to wait a little bit for her to go further... oops, too late, I just did.

I called back and then talked to a guy who knew things quite well and asked me several things to open a ticket.

What you will need is:

- first name and family name

- an email address (probably the one used as your PSN login too but he did not ask since I told him that it was the one I had already given him)

- the name of the game (The Last of Us...eless Network Pass)

- the network pass which he checked as having been used recently and that its expiration date was *drum roll* May 27, 2019...

He told me he thought Naughty Dogs has just disabled them on that date.

- pictures for a purchase proof (eBay's purchase history for me) and for the back of the booklet with the code

He then gave me my ticket number and sent me an email which contained a link where to upload the pictures needed.

He also told me the way to solve this is either to give me a brand new code available for physical copies (as I told him it did not work with the one from the bundle probably for the digital edition) or to make available the activation file for my download list.

He finished by telling me I should get an email with an answer on tomorrow or monday but he probably forgot it will be a day off so early next week.

All I have to do for now is wait I guess.

Anyway, that is worth a shot so if you are in the same situation just give it a try with the assistance from your country plus it might why not hurry things a little bit if they see that many tickets are being created for the same issue.

Here is the phone number for people from France: 01 70 70 07 78.

That is a local phone number so no surtax.

I will let you know if anything happens and sorry for the 'novel type of post.'

Edited by JeromeSpree
  • Like 1

Yeah I understand but I have always thought it was a bit harsh to pay twice for the same thing (especially for less than 3 months) so I just sit and wait for now. I just read again the mail I received yesterday and it says I should get a reply within 5 working days so longer than what the guy told me.

Wait and see then.

Edited by JeromeSpree

I believe another network pass comes bundled with the rest of the dlc which they announced is all free as a token to enjoy the game before server shutdown. It might get hidden away with all the cosmetic items that come with the package but it's in there somewhere.

• Like 1

You sure? Because im playing through it atm to finish off the trophies and I downloaded and installed that one and its let me play online. And I know it is the physical network code because that would be listed in my library way back in 2013. Also are you downloading the map packs too? Because searching for a game without them wil just redirect you to the store and nothing shows up.

100% sure and I have of course downloaded everything in the bundle including the map packs. Without them, you can not even go past the main menu as a message tells you you have to download some maps to go further where it then asks for the online pass.

I might have just found a way that could work for all the players outside the US that can't get on; myself included until just now when I completed a match and actually got a trophy (a DLC too). I'm hoping this works for you all too.

When I purchased the free dlc pack Naughty Dog put out as the servers are closing I purchased it on the PS store on my laptop and downloaded it through my download list on my PS3. That did not work. INSTEAD, what you should do is go on the PS store on your PS3 console itself. Find the add on pack and download it from there. (I didn't background download it, I let it all download and install on it's own, not sure if you need to do this, but might want to just in case.)

Next, make sure the game has the latest patch installed and load the game. From here click on the "factions MP" and immediately press the PS button. The "connecting screen" will load in the background... Now, you're gonna want to wait till the connecting screen has fully loaded the progress bar once, then as it seems to be loading it again from the start, press the PS button again. It should say "The Facebook features on the PS3 system are no longer available.". Click circle and it should load you in.

A little sidenote, it does take a while on my PS3 to load, 30 seconds to a minute, and on one time I thought it froze as the progress bar didn't "complete" and restart loading again, but I pressed the PS button and it still worked anyway... 

I know that sounds really confusing, but hopefully it helps anyone to get online who couldn't before!

I'm gonna post this message in all of the new forums that mention this problem in hopes of helping as many as possible.

Well fuck these online trophies then......didnt remember if the copy I had bought was new or used and apparently it was the latter cause the code I had with the physical copy is no longer valid. Not gonna buy digital copy just because of getting these trophies. Cant believe this stupid ass system where no other PS3 games that Ive played online have required some freaking pass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2019 at 0:23 PM, connorbartram said:

I'm gonna post this message in all of the new forums that mention this problem in hopes of helping as many as possible.

What you posted in every thread is irrelevant to this issue since people can't even log into factions at all to even get to the point where your suggestion is of any help.

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

What you posted in every thread is irrelevant to this issue since people can't even log into factions at all to even get to the point where your suggestion is of any help.

1) I posted it in 2 threads, so yeah, "every thread". 

2) Fuck me for trying to help then, yeah?

3) I couldn't log into the factions MP at all either, then I downloaded the things individually, did the trick that has been done for a few years I believe of pressing the home button and it worked for me. Unfortunately it might not work for other people, but that's exactly what I did and it worked for me, so I thought I'd be nice and try and help some people out. More than I think you've tried to do; instead you contribute by trying to put someone down who was only trying to help. Well done to you. 

1 hour ago, connorbartram said:

1) I posted it in 2 threads, so yeah, "every thread". 

2) Fuck me for trying to help then, yeah?

3) I couldn't log into the factions MP at all either, then I downloaded the things individually, did the trick that has been done for a few years I believe of pressing the home button and it worked for me. Unfortunately it might not work for other people, but that's exactly what I did and it worked for me, so I thought I'd be nice and try and help some people out. More than I think you've tried to do; instead you contribute by trying to put someone down who was only trying to help. Well done to you. 

You got this much offended just because I pointed out your information has nothing to do with what is being asked in this thread? You said you would post it everywhere that mentioned this problem, but you everywhere you posted did not mentioned it. Just gave you a heads up that you were posting in the wrong place. In fact, there is actually another thread where you could have posted at, since your information would be relevant there, if you ignore the fact that the information had already been posted there by someone else a few years ago.

You just spammed the same block of text in threads that it wasn't relevant for and someone pointed that out. Chill, it's not the end of the world.

OK, long story short, after sending them the pictures to prove my purchase I was asked to call them back to answer to secret questions for them to be sure I was the owner of the account (first name, family name, ID email, serial number of the console the account has been created with, a proof of purchase on the store you can find in your emails with the name, number and the price of any transaction).

I did, four more times, twice the phone being hung up by them (with one time being from the same girl I was talking about in the original post I think). The first girl that did not hang up the phone sent the ticket to Sony UK since they are the ones dealing with the codes and I called another time to check where the progression of the case was and I was told it had just been sent to the UK last friday.

So, I received an email from them today, probably from the UK since the french written in it looked like Google translate french and it was saying that my code had been reactivated.

About an hour ago, I found out that the code is still not working...

I just replied to that email saying that the code did not work.

I really feel they are kidding me and I am really more than pissed right now...

Edited by JeromeSpree

59 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Welcome to PlayStation Support, the same that told me to format a PS4 in order to fix a PS3-related issue.

Haha, nice one.

Did it work for you?

Nah, just kidding but I am also wondering if this could also be the problem.

Is there an online pass for the PS4 physical copies too?

13 hours ago, Quaddo1 said:

No, there isn't, but you need a ps+ membership instead though.

Thanks for the information.

That has nothing to do with the platform then.

Anyway, I just gave them a seventh call a few minutes ago and my case has been sent again to the UK. I guess I am in for another wait for a few days.

During that call I learnt that my code has effectively been reactivated as its expiration date has been extended but it still does not work when typed.

My bet is that the problem lies with the disc version of the game. The add-on bundle might be there for digital versions only even though there is an unlock file in it.

I think Naughty Dog really messed up something while delisting certain files and creating this one.

For instance, I already had the free map packs in my download list and the multiplayer does not even try to launch with them installed instead of the ones from the add-on bundle.

Moreover, I also purchased the Left Behind DLC when on sale last winter holidays but not the standalone version and for those in the same situation, I just want to let you know that this won't solve the network pass issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Three phone calls later, no improvement.

The last I heard from them was a mail I received today telling me to download the add-on bundle which is the last transaction on my account and the one I have already given them every detail as a secret question to check who I was...

Anyway, I am not posting just to tell that but in the mail I received there was a link to the add-on bundle on the French PS store for PC and in the URL there was "BCES 01585." I own the BCES 01584 French version. After a quick search, it apparently is the UK version with russian and polish languages in addition to english. It might actually be where the issue lies.

People with a BCES 01585 copy from the UK might be the only ones not facing this issue in Europe. Thanks for all the other ones I guess...

I deleted saved data for the game and chose english as the in-game language: not working.

I set english as my system default language: not working.

I do not see what else I could try.

EDIT : still about my search BCES 01585 apparently requires an account from the UK for the network pass to work...

Edited by JeromeSpree

Did you inform them you have the 01584 (disc?) version, and they still sent you a code/link for 01585?

Btw, I'm sure you already know and have tested this, but have you tried the "download/install"-again method? I.e. go to "view downloads" in the ps3 ps store (or download list in the xmb), locate the mp/network pass dlc and download/install it again, manually and individually.

*Also, I have the BCES 01585 disc version but I'm not located in the UK, nor is my psn account set up for the UK. I haven't used the free mp/network pass though, as I already had unlocked online access a long time ago with the code that came with the game.

Edited by Quaddo1
*edit

Well, I just noticed about the BCES 01585 after having first replied to the email telling them I had already downloaded the add-on bundle and calling them right after.

I sent another email afterwards explaining that and the fact that my copy was a BCES 01584.

I do not use the PS Store website on PC so I could not have figured that out without them sending me the written URL. I just noticed that while reading the email again.

About the code, it is still about the one from my game's booklet. They did not do anything else than just extending its expiration date which makes it now active and unused... It would have worked if typed before the servers shutdown announcement, I am now pretty sure about it.

I just think they have disabled everything non-related to BCES 01585 since the add-on bundle (01585 located) is mandatory to launch the multiplayer. All previous multiplayer DLCs do not even work when installed instead of the add-on bundle ones. You had no trouble with the online mode because you had already typed a working pass in the past. I am pretty sure your code would not work now with an account from somewhere else than the UK.

And yes, of course I have installed every of the 139 files from the bundle. I have at least done that a dozen times with the unlock file without any success.

EDIT: by the way, here is the URL for the bundle on the French store. It might not work since there is a great chance you will be redirected depending on your region but you can read BCES 01585 in it.

https://store.playstation.com/fr-fr/product/EP9000-BCES01585_00-TLOUADDONSBUNDLE

EDIT 2: just to try, I have just replaced the last 5 number by a 4 in the URL to see where it would get me and I got this.

https://store.playstation.com/fr-fr/product/EP9000-BCES01584_00-PSNOWONLYSKU0001

Edited by JeromeSpree

Yeah, of course your booklet code would've worked before they announced the shutdown. That's what I meant by my code working, and that I can't really verify/test the free online/network pass (which may only work with the digital download version).

I can view those links without being re-directed, as long as I open them in an incognito window (I'm on google chrome).

That's bizarre, that the end of the link gets changed to "PS Now only" and directs you to the digital download version (?), plus what's up with the release date there; April 4 2012, was that the earliest pre-order date?!

My problem is solved since I have just completed my first online matches.

Got a new reply from Sony assistance but it was a dumb one; just saying that both my account and my disc needed to be from the same region even though I had already told them that they were.

Anyway, I just installed everything again and a network pass file suddenly popped up on top of my download list. I am not talking about the unlock factions file which was there from the beginning but about a new one which has been 'bought' today and which by its thumbnail looks like the one that used to be on sale before being delisted.

Going to check later on if it is still there thus downloading every other file than the only 16 ones that are being installed through the bundle as some perks and weapons might help me as I really sucked at these first matches. I usually do not play online at first, that is probably why and also not knowing anything about the maps does not help.

EDIT: the file is still in my download list. I also added a picture. Good to see it is finally working and that I am getting better at it. It will still be tough to get 3 downs without dying on some maps though but there is still time to go.

Upload.jpg

Edited by JeromeSpree

Thanks!

I intended to go for the 4 trophies from the base game only at first but I am now ready to go for all of them.

I will first try to do that without boosting since I do not really like to do so when a game's community is still alive.

I will then probably join a boosting group in the final days if I do not succeed in getting the 8 of them that require no death matches.

• Like 1