Final Fantasy VII Remake (April 10, 2020)

1 hour ago, ShadowReplicant said:

I don't think that's possible. They said that the first episode is all about Midgar. Pretty sure they won't be able to put the rest of the game into Episode 2.

They didn't say it's gonna be 2 parts. They said they estimate about 2 blue rays worth of content (yday at the show). I guess they can still split that up into 10 episodes ?

In any case, I told myself that I wouldn't be hyped for FFVII remake. But I gotta admit I was really surprised by what they showed at the event. Materia is still there and visible in the weapons, which I thought is a very cool detail, and the combat seems to be less dull than the "press-square-to-win" combat from FFXV... 

Not sure if I'm 100% sold yet, and I'm definitely not a fan of splitting content accross episodes, but what they showcased actually looked really really good... I'm impressed. 

Just watched the trailer, and that looks all Midgard part (including the bike mini-game), but I didn't noticed anything related to the Slums market stuff, so, maybe they are really cutting that part? 

Still, while this is the more compact part of the game, it only amounts to about 10% of the game (I think), so, that's not much.. So, I doubt we will get half of the game, although the Choco Chick bonus summon, may mean that we will get a bit outside Midgard, or that they are cutting that part too, and this is how we get the Chocobo Summon? 

But as I said on my other post, I just pre-order the game because of the steelbook.. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

11 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Can someone please explain to me what '2 blu ray discs' means? Does it mean the remake will only take 2 parts? Or does it mean when it comes out in March it'll be 2 discs? I'm just MEGA confused right now. 1f615.png

The latter, it's probably like RDR2, and i wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Lance_87

Jason Schreier experience with the demo and some details from the developers.

This afternoon at E3 in Los Angeles, I watched an extended demo of the Final Fantasy VII remake and got my hands on a build for about 15 minutes. Here’s the good news: It could be really special. The bad news: We have no idea when the whole project will be completed.

“We can’t reveal that many details about this,” producer Yoshinori Kitase said when I asked him today how many games will be in the series. We know that the first one is set entirely in Midgar, and that, according to Square Enix, it’s the size of an entire numbered Final Fantasy game—a radical reimagining, given that Midgar was maybe 5 or 10 percent of the original game on PlayStation 1.

“Before we actually started working on this, we knew it was going to be a large amount of content,” Kitase told a group of press. “When we started out planning the plot for the first game, it hit us again... at that point we decided we were going to focus first game on Midgar and what happens in Midgar. Unfortunately we can’t say anything more about the future games, because we don’t know ourselves.”

Kitase added that the development team is simultaneously finishing Final Fantasy VII Remake’s first game, which is out in March 2020, while planning game number two.

Following a brief presentation during which Kitase and his team demonstrated a build of the first few moments of the game (which looked great), I got to play a demo that takes place within the first Mako Reactor. I hacked and slashed through some enemies, climbed down some ladders, and fought a reimagined version of the scorpion robot, Final Fantasy VII’s first boss.

The best way to describe the Final Fantasy VII remake is “fleshed out.” It’s like the PS1 version of Final Fantasy VII was an outline and this is the final paper. Whereas in the original game you’d see a few dialogue exchanges that were meant to broadly convey feelings—Jessie being flirty, Barret trying to convince Cloud that the environment is worth saving—here there are fleshed-out conversations, genuine personality, and dialogue with a surprising amount of warmth. There are some clunky lines in there, but it’s fun to watch.

Here’s one exchange I particularly enjoyed:

Barret: You gonna stand there and pretend you can’t hear the planet crying out in pain?

Cloud: You really hear that?

Barret: Damn straight I do.

Cloud: [after a pause] Get help.

Jessie, a member of Barret’s Avalanche eco-terrorist group, has more dialogue in the 30 minutes of footage I saw today than she does in all of Final Fantasy VIIon PS1. Wedge and Biggs have more personality. There are cut-scenes around every corner. It feels like a completely new game.

The combat system is also brand new. Here are the basics: As Cloud, you can slash, evade, and block with button presses. With every attack you’ll build up your ATB gauge, and every time you fill up an ATB bar (to a maximum of two in the demo), you can use it for a spell, ability, or item.

This version of Cloud was equipped with some skills like Braver (formerly a Limit Break, now a regular ability) and a triple-slashing ability that sends him spinning from enemy to enemy. There’s also a stagger system reminiscent of Final Fantasy XIII in which you can build up an enemy’s “staggered” gauge. When it fills up, you’ll do bonus damage—160 percent, in the demo.

As a result of this system, it doesn’t feel like a hack-n-slash action game. It’s got a very, very different vibe than, say, Kingdom Hearts III. Just mashing the square button doesn’t seem like an effective strategy in Final Fantasy VII’s new combat system. You don’t do a ton of damage with standard attacks. From what I watched and played, getting through fights requires frequent use of abilities and swapping between your characters—in this case, using Cloud to take out short-range enemies and Barret to gun down sentries from a distance.

As you play, the music swells in and out, transitioning between enhanced versions of classic Final Fantasy VII tracks based on your current state. The combat music weaves in and out naturally rather than following a hard transition the way it once did. The framerate isn’t great, at least in this build. Square says that Remake is coming to PlayStation 4 “first,” and I must confess I really want to play this one on PC.

The demo I played centered on Guard Scorpion, the boss of Mako Reactor 1. No longer is this boss fight over in 30 seconds of button-mashing and waiting; now, it’s an elaborate spectacle, complete with different phases and barriers. It’s very, very cool. During one phase you have to circle around back and attack the core underneath its body; during another, Cloud and Barret have to duck for cover under some nearby debris while it uses its powerful tail electricity attack. (“Attack while its tail is up!”)

So yes, this is all promising. Especially the expansion of personalities. The lingering question is: what is this game going to be, exactly? How are they going to expand Final Fantasy VII’s introduction into an entire game that Square says has to be on two Blu-ray discs? Is all of Midgar going to be explorable? Are we going to get a 10-hour version of the Honeybee Inn? Guess we’ll find out in March.

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-feels-great-to-play-but-the-p-1835426634

"Get help"

LOL this is our Cloud.

"As you play, the music swells in and out, transitioning between enhanced versions of classic Final Fantasy VII tracks based on your current state. The combat music weaves in and out naturally rather than following a hard transition the way it once did."

Awww, i guess getting a full soundtrack will be a PITA this time.

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

So... um...

Can someone please explain to me what '2 blu ray discs' means? Does it mean the remake will only take 2 parts? Or does it mean when it comes out in March it'll be 2 discs? I'm just MEGA confused right now. 1f615.png

How many parts is this going to take? 1f605.png

Just like they said, the game is in 2 discs, as in, the game that's being released on March next year, just like it says here, under the game box: Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-1st-Class-Editi

Urgh, there will be DLCs, even things like summons as DLC and pre order bonus etc. Yeah, this is just bs, and I'll skip it until it's all done and I get it for cheap. Yeah, that's in many many years... but I'll wait.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

this game is going to take YEARS to finish

Nomura will be an old man by then

Kotaku’s Jason Schreier reported on Twitter part of his interview with Square Enix’s Yoshinori Kitase during E3 2019. When asked about how many partsFinal Fantasy 7 Remake will be, Yoshinari Kitase answered that they don’t know yet themselves.

Square Enix already mentioned multiple times in the past that Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be in multiple parts, each part forming a full game experience. The first part of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be covering all the initial events in Midgard from the original game. In the original FF7, this part didn’t last more than ten hours even by dragging one’s feet, so it’s quite intriguing to see what will be added to make this first part in the remake a ” full game”.

I have to say it’s a bit worrying, as I’m wondering when the sequels parts of Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be launching. I’m not sure waiting over a year between each part, which is an optimistic estimate, would feel that great. I’m starting to wonder how many years will it take for us to see Yuffie, Cid, Vincent, and Cait Sith supposing they don’t have cameos in the first part.

Update: According to Twinfinite, Square Enix is currently deciding on what to include in the second Final Fantasy 7 Remake game and how much content will it cover. As such, this is what Yoshinori Kitase meant when saying they don’t know yet how many parts it will be.

In short, it means that the number of parts will vary depending on how much content is covered in the second part.

https://www.dualshockers.com/square-enix-final-fantasy-7-remake-parts/

Today, during a group interview hosted at E3, which Twinfinite attended, Final Fantasy VII Remake Producer Yoshinori Kitase provided more color on the episodic nature of the series.

Kitase-san referred to the upcoming release through a translator as “the first game” not just as part one and confirmed that it includes a massive amount of content (two Blu-Ray Disks worth of Data). That being said, there will be no scaling back from anything that the fans loved about the original Final Fantasy VII.

The reason why the team took this expansive approach is that just remaking the original game wasn’t something they were really interested in doing.

While the first game focuses on Midgard, the development team doesn’t yet know for sure what future games beyond the first will include. They’re still working on fleshing out what they’re going to do for the second game of the project and how far that one is going to reach in the story.

Do keep in mind that (while Square Enix never provided any specific details) the game’s development underwent a significant reboot in 2017 when it was shifted from CyberConnect 2 to in-house, so Kitase-san likely is talking about that interval rather than the full timespan since the announcement in 2015.

Update: Square Enix sent in an update clarifying Kitase-san’s words:

“While the development team finishes the first game of the project, they are also planning the volume of content for the second. Due to the work already done on the first game, we anticipate that the development of the second game will be more efficient. However, for now we would like to focus on the development of the first game.”

https://twinfinite.net/2019/06/final-fantasy-vii-remake-next-games/

So the statement about "2 blueray discs full of content" applies to the first game already? And that one only covers Midgard? How? ? 

5 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

While the first game focuses on Midgard, the development team doesn’t yet know for sure what future games beyond the first will include. They’re still working on fleshing out what they’re going to do for the second game of the project and how far that one is going to reach in the story.

After the original announcement of the Remake I was hopeful, then we didn't hear anything for years, and after the dissappointment that was Final Fantasy XV I told myself that I would not jump on the hype train. I still have to admit that the gameplay footage and extended trailer they showed at E3 impressed me... However, that quoted statement right there kills the hype for me. 

Plus what's up with the bonus summon materia?? It seems they are adding summons that weren't in the original game (Carbuncle, Cactuar). Not sure how I feel about that. Next they'll be adding Vincent and Yuffie as paid DLC, since those characters were not mandatory to get in the original game.

I hate to be that cynical, I'm usually not, but I don't like where this is heading. 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 2

My mind was blown when it was announced at E3 2015.

My hype has tempered over the years, to the point where the brief new trailers and tidbits of gameplay that trickled out didn't really sit well with me.

Now that release is imminent and we're starting to see/learn more... I'm back into it.  Getting really psyched.  Probably go and preorder the deluxe edition ASAP just to get it locked in (the steelbook and hardcover concept artbook look cool).  I'd probably even invest in that 1st Class edition if it weren't basically the same as the deluxe, just with a $150 Cloud model... though the model does look sweet.

Not a huge fan of splitting it over an indeterminate number of releases though.  I'd almost rather wait another 5 years for the full experience than play 1/4 of the game at a time (though I certainly won't wait as long as the option exists to play earlier).  Fans already know the story, not sure how each "full game" release will possibly reach satisfying conclusions when we all know 100% what's coming next.  Granted there will be new story threads and Midgar (among other places eventually) will be greatly expanded upon... but a full game experience solely around Midgar?  What's next, half of the next game takes place at Kalm and Fort Condor? xD

Not to mention this is definitely going to drag into next generation if the new consoles are slated for a late/holiday 2020 release.  Will they all come out on PS4?  Are you going to have to get a PS5 to play the rest?  How disjointed will that be if parts 2/3/4/etc run, play and/or look better than part 1?  Almost feels like they should've just waited til late 2020 at this point and made it a next gen launch title (or shortly after) to keep things in sync.

That whole thing is pretty yucky IMO.  But I really can't wait to play as Cloud and company again.  These last few trailers and gameplay videos look great.

Edited by Dreakon13

23 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

The latter, it's probably like RDR2, and i wouldn't be surprised.

21 hours ago, Devil_Spooky said:

Just like they said, the game is in 2 discs, as in, the game that's being released on March next year, just like it says here, under the game box: Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-1st-Class-Editi

WELP.

RIP my external hard drive. ?

I was going to ask if it was known how many parts the Remake was going to take yet, but clearly not. Because the above posts have stated that even the development team themselves apparently don't know.

7 Parts. Because Final Fantasy 7. ?

Again seriously please don't let this actually be true ?

21 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Not to mention this is definitely going to drag into next generation if the new consoles are slated for a late/holiday 2020 release.  Will they all come out on PS4?  Are you going to have to get a PS5 to play the rest?

Realistically, I think we can expect 3 or more parts with at least 3 years of development for each game. I wouldn't be surprised, if we were playing this years into the PS5's life cycle.

3 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Realistically, I think we can expect 3 or more parts with at least 3 years of development for each game. I wouldn't be surprised, if we were playing this years into the PS5's life cycle.

It seems like they have the engine and mechanics down at this point, if it's just a matter of developing the story content, assets, etc and they hit the ground running after part 1's release (heck they may be working on future assets now and just polishing part 1 until 2020), they can probably crank out future parts pretty quickly.  I don't see the engine, gameplay or visuals changing too dramatically as this is an intentionally multi-part release being referred to by some as "episodes".

I mean they announced the remake at E3 2015 and got it out in <5 years despite development seemingly in turmoil and changing hands.  3+ for the follow ups seems like a bit much.  IMO 1-2 years between releases is probably more realistic at this juncture.

EDIT: I bet it doesn't take very long for them to re-release part 1 on the PS5 with upped resolution/framerate, some asset touchups, etc and the remaining parts are next gen exclusive and follow suit (in regards to general graphical quality/resolution/framerate).  Which makes it tempting to just wait it out... but I've certainly double dipped on worse things.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

If it is indeed going to be some form of episodic game (which super f**ked me off when I heard) then I wonder how the leveling up will work?

So lets say you finished part 1 and it then throws you back in the game to mop up and enjoy some random battles, Could this mean that you could be massively OP for the next chapter, or will the AI raise in level with you. 

Not played the game since its original release, nor any other FF games since then, so not sure how it all works anymore.