Final Fantasy VII Remake (April 10, 2020)

Trailer was interesting, but if this whole game is Midgar seems like they've been showing maybe a little *too* much. Loved what I've seen again in this trailer and my hype continues, but everytime Sephiroth shows up in these trailers I kinda cringe a little - he had little to do with that section of the game in the original and I'm kinda nervous they're going to shoehorn him back in to parts he doesn't belong to have a more "recognisable" villain in part 1. Still have high hopes for this though.

• Like 1

It really sucks that it's going to be another decade or so before we get to see Yuffie, Vincent, and Cid since it takes place in Midgar only :[

On the other hand it looks like they are going to show more about what happens after that section of Midgar gets destroyed so you can take in the aftermath a bit more which is cool. I also want to see what these things look like :P

262lhzd.jpg

• Like 1

I'm still having a hard time looking forward to this, mainly because SE is turning it into an Action RPG. That's the main reason I hated FF XV. What is SE's problem with turn based battle systems these days? The fact that how well Persona 5 has been doing proves that the turn-based battle system is far from being outdated. I wish they had sticked to the original in this regard...

• Like 1

I have to say I have strongly mixed emotions about this remake.

I've wanted it for so long, but I really do not enjoy the fact that it's being divided into undefined parts, which leads to us not knowing when we'll effectively be able to see anything other than Midgar (it's a great part of the story but still only one of the many fantastic settings). I know they said they expanded it so much it's like a complete game, but ... no one asked them to.  People just wanted a Final Fantasy VII remake.

On the other hand, the latest trailers and gameplay (let's say since the Tifa reveal) are really awesome. The gameplay looks fantastic, everything about the characters is extremely faithful to the original, and I enjoy the additional links to the Compilation, because it's expanded this world so much, it would make no sense to act like it didn't happen (lmao I don't know what the point of the DoC ending with Genesis). 

I don't know, I don't know. It looks like a masterpiece, but I can't consider it a full game no matter what they say (because it's an incomplete story) and I'm paying it like it is. And I'll have to pay full price for who knows how many ... "full games". 

P.S.: Reno, my man, finally!!!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, SkyMason said:

Trailer was interesting, but if this whole game is Midgar seems like they've been showing maybe a little *too* much. Loved what I've seen again in this trailer and my hype continues, but everytime Sephiroth shows up in these trailers I kinda cringe a little - he had little to do with that section of the game in the original and I'm kinda nervous they're going to shoehorn him back in to parts he doesn't belong to have a more "recognisable" villain in part 1. Still have high hopes for this though.

That's certainly a valid fear. Square is notorious for shoehorning in characters with no reason. I'll never forget Sazh, my favorite character from FFXIII, the parent who had lost so much, and yet kept his humanity, the only character to show any real emotional depth...bringing his son along on a dangerous mission in Lightning Returns because apparently, you wanted to see him!

Well, I don't mean you personally, I mean, oh, forget it.

I'll wait for gameplay vids and the like. If it's an interactive movie, or (worse), a series of mini-games to extend artificially the length of the game, I'll pass.

• Like 1

Yeah, I hope Sephiroth is used well. I get the idea of wanting to use him more since this game only covers Midgar, and we didn't actually see Sephiroth until after you leave Midgar in the original game. That and the fact that we all know Sephiroth so there's no point in keeping him mysterious. 

On 9/11/2019 at 6:20 PM, kidson2004 said:

If this is to be episodic, I’ll just wait for the full versions release. 

It's not episodic in that sense.  It's more like XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns.  You probably won't see a "full version" unless you mean buying three separate full length games, just at the same time.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's not episodic in that sense.  It's more like XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns.  You probably won't see a "full version" unless you mean buying three separate full length games, just at the same time.

Didn’t know that. Thank for the clarification. Guess I’ll buy this day 1 after all. 

30 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Maybe they release it for Ps5 on one disc. 

A release on next gen will most likely happen. Square enix will milk the cow dry! 

15 hours ago, Baka_Marimo said:

I'm still having a hard time looking forward to this, mainly because SE is turning it into an Action RPG. That's the main reason I hated FF XV. What is SE's problem with turn based battle systems these days? The fact that how well Persona 5 has been doing proves that the turn-based battle system is far from being outdated. I wish they had sticked to the original in this regard...

I guess you didn't pay much attention to the Demo, bc it prety much looks like the original, just with a modern menu. You will have an ATB bar that fills over seconds and when it's full yu will have access to the menu like you know it from FF7 back in the days. In the menu you have summons and magic and limit breaks and everything else, except the "attack" option.

The only difference is, that while the ATB bar is filling you don't have to wait, instead in that time you can make the normal attacks.

I think this is SO great I'm extremely hyped for it^^ BC watching it felt really like 7. the battke system will serve this remake very well.

1 hour ago, Vergil said:

Maybe they release it for Ps5 on one disc. 

A release on next gen will most likely happen. Square enix will milk the cow dry! 

Anything is possible, they certainly could release a compilation/collection once this VII remake series is complete (I doubt the entirety of several multi-disc releases would fit onto one though regardless of what media PS5 uses)... but that's still just a bunch of separate games packaged together and wouldn't really be considered episodic.  That's like buying Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 together or in a "trilogy" pack.  We don't call those episodes.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 9/11/2019 at 11:20 PM, kidson2004 said:

If this is to be episodic, I’ll just wait for the full versions release. 

I get where you're coming from. 

Splitting up a game like this to me seems idiotic, but if its as vast as they mention and they're keeping it single player, then they need to be business smart. Gone are the days of 200 hour RPG's, and if this episode alone can give 40+ hours then that could be good.

I too will probably wait, but doing so will probably mean we won't see it completed until the end of the PS5 lifespan which could very well be 2025. 

So I'm going to be honest, the first time I beat Final Fantasy VII, I didn't know I beat it until the credits started rolling because I was under the mistaken assumption that there was an equal amount of story spread across all 4 discs (there's not). Also when Aeris bit the dust, I thought, "Oh, they're going pull a Chrono and make an expedition to the Mountain of Woe to get the magic MacGuffin to fix the problem a Phoenix Down can't fix." Then when you start facing Sephiroth I was all like, "Okay, after this battle they pull a Magus, and Sephiroth joins the party so we can take down whoever is really behind it all." Like President Shinra was going to step out the shadows resurrected and cackle, "It was me all along, Austin!"

So anyway, there's that.

We got a glimpse at both “Easy” and “Normal” modes from the in-game option menus, and producer Yoshinori Kitase then showed us a new combat mode, named “Classic Mode.”

In the original Final Fantasy VII, you would wait around until the ATB Gauge fills up, and then select a move to initiate your attack. With Classic Mode in Final Fantasy VII Remake the team have re-created the same style of play!

In standard modes, the ATB Gauge fills up by repeatedly attacking your enemy, but in Classic Mode this aspect of gameplay is handled automatically. The player does not need to do anything and the character fights automatically, charging up their ATB Gauge.

So anyone playing Final Fantasy VII Remake in Classic Mode does not have to worry about the action side of the combat system, and can instead focus on selecting commands, making it possible to play Final Fantasy VII Remake as if it were a classic menu-based RPG!

After showing off combat in Final Fantasy VII Remake, Kitase-san introduced one of the elements we first saw in the Final Fantasy VII Remake TGS Trailer a few days ago—the Squats mini-game, and our presenter did an amazing job of playing!

Finally, we got a closer look at one of the boss fights in the game. In this segment we saw Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith take on Aps in the sewers of Midgar.

Aerith’s standard attacks are long-ranged, and pressing the Triangle button uses her unique character ability “Tempest.” Her Holy Circle ability creates an area in the battlefield, and any spell used within the area is cast repeatedly.

During this boss battle, Cloud had the Ifrit Summon Materia equipped. And because of this, Cloud’s attacks caused his Summon Gauge to eventually fill up completely over time..

With a filled Summon, we saw Cloud summon Ifrit, who remained on the battlefield.

Summons are typically controlled by the AI, but we saw Cloud spend his ATB charges to make Ifrit use his unique abilities, such as Flare Burst and Crimson Dive!

Ifrit remained on the battlefield fighting until Cloud’s Summon Gauge depleted, at which point Ifrit unleashed his ultimate attack: Hellfire!

Each character can equip up to one Summon Materia each, and while playing Final Fantasy VII Remake it’ll be up to the player to decide which Summon to equip, depending on the battlefield and enemy!

Some interesting read here about classic mode featured in the Remake

Edited by Vergil

On 9/16/2019 at 8:49 AM, Masamune said:

I was worried this was just going to be some XV or KH clone, but the fact that they actually put in a classic turn-based mode makes me quite relived. ^_^ Now if only it wasn't episodic, I could start getting a little hyped for it. :P

The one thing I wondered was how quickly the episodes would be released. If this is getting released early 2020 for PS4, then common sense would say that it would have released all episodes before the PS5 is released which is said to be near the end of 2020. Then for PS5 you will probably get a complete edition. 

15 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

The one thing I wondered was how quickly the episodes would be released. If this is getting released early 2020 for PS4, then common sense would say that it would have released all episodes before the PS5 is released which is said to be near the end of 2020. Then for PS5 you will probably get a complete edition. 

It took them 4 years to finish Episode 1. I'd say it's gonna take at least 2, probably 3 years before we see Episode 2. Beyond that it's anybody's guess. According to Kitase, they haven't even decided how many episodes they want to make.