Xbox Scarlett & PS5

RadiantFlamberge

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/09/tech/new-xbox-announcement/index.html

Phil Spencer said that a console should be optimized for games, & just that. Halo Infinite is one of the planned launch titles.

So the Scarlett is supposed to be backward compatible with ALL 4 generations of Xbox? Well played Microsoft. Now let's hope Sony's PS5 does the same with all past PS series.

There is a new Xbox controller on the way with Bluetooth & a 40-hour battery life. The price of the new controller is... $180. ? For that kind of money, it better last.

XS is supposed to cut down on loading times with an SSD, like PS5. GDDR6 will be used for RAM.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/tech/sony-playstation-5/index.html

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

The Wired story is old, but I linked that ICYMI. Here's a video of Spider-Man on PS4 Pro & PS5 showing the loading time & streaming differences (loading pauses on PS4P). Surely the SSD helps, but hopefully they can keep the price reasonable.

It would be best for Sony to get full backward compatibility. If they do, I'll probably buy the PS5 sooner instead of later.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

With Sony’s historic track record of releasing different versions of consoles, I’ll wait for it. But this does sound promising. 

I'm betting PS5 gets Slim & Pro models coming out 1½-2 years after the original, with maybe a larger SSD size. Sony needs to have a 1 TB SSD with the launch unit... at least. Anything less isn't enough. Let's hope the prices of SSDs get more sane by the PS5 launch so Sony can go big.

24 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

I'd pay the money for an elite Dualshock with a really long battery life.

Same here. I wouldn't need it to be wireless.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vita/PSP game compatibility as well, just with certain upgrades like being able to upgrade the rendering to 4K/8K. It'd be good for Sony because they could keep getting some sales out of these games.

Come on Sony, surprise us. Get PS3 emulation in there, even if we have to wait a little bit. There has to be a way.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I'm betting PS5 gets Slim & Pro models coming out 1½-2 years after the original, with maybe a larger SSD size. Sony needs to have a 1 TB SSD with the launch unit... at least. Anything less isn't enough. Let's hope the prices of SSDs get more sane by the PS5 launch so Sony can go big.

Same here. I wouldn't need it to be wireless.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vita/PSP game compatibility as well, just with certain upgrades like being able to upgrade the rendering to 4K/8K. It'd be good for Sony because they could keep getting some sales out of these games.

Come on Sony, surprise us. Get PS3 emulation in there, even if we have to wait a little bit. There has to be a way.

The light bar really kills the battery life on the DS4, wish they released a model without it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rise_GKM said:

I'll wait for a year or two, that way i'll be limited to playing PS4 games and clear my backlog(hopefully) 

10 PS3 and 25 PS4 games just sitting, purchased but not played. Don't wanna add PS5 games to the shelf yet 1f605.png

79eb8336c7602decae92270cd9f6a1a831660967

Yours is a modest backlog, considering some of the posts I've read from others.  Mine is getting ridiculous.  Including free games, I'm almost at 360.

I can't be excited about two consoles that there is little to no information about. I'll make a decision on which console to purchase when they're actually available for purchase and have good games on them. I'll probably wait for a year or two for good games and a price drop or new version.

20 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

The light bar really kills the battery life on the DS4, wish they released a model without it.

I hope that the PS5 doesn't have the stupid light bar. I hate the light bar so much that I was very tempted to disable the darn thing while I was repairing the D-Pad. I also really hate the dumb touch pad that is only used as a extra button in 99% of games. I hope the PS5 controller is free of dumb gimmicks that the majority of games will never use.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Am I the only one who never really had much issue with my DS4 battery life? Then again, I only play like four hours at a time and I turn vibration off whenever possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, majob said:

Am I the only one who never really had much issue with my DS4 battery life? Then again, I only play like four hours at a time and I turn vibration off whenever possible.

It has about a quarter of the battery life of a ps3 controller, even with vibration turned off and light turned to the lowest setting. Could just be the original model controller problem, I don't have any of the redesigned ones.

I'm not in a hurry to purchase a PS5. Got a PS4 2-3 years ago and still have lots of games I want to play on it.

9 minutes ago, majob said:

Nope, you're not the only one. 

• Like 2

I'll most likely get the PS5 once there's a game I want to play on it, or roughly a year into its life (or if I have a little patience, after the first noteworthy hardware revision or two).  Whichever comes first.

Probably get the next Xbox once my friend I play online with does, or some exclusives I really want come out.

I'm always up for a new toy to play with though. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

16 minutes ago, SixyLove said:

I hope that the PS5 doesn't have the stupid light bar. I hate the light bar so much that I was very tempted to disable the darn thing while I was repairing the D-Pad. I also really hate the dumb touch pad that is only used as a extra button in 99% of games. I hope the PS5 controller is free of dumb gimmicks that the majority of games will never use.

We either keep the dumb gimmicks or we forgo backwards compatibility. We can't have both.

• Like 1

Something I can’t help but point out: Sony has yet to call it PlayStation 5 or PS5. They’ve only called it Next Generation Console.

That said, I’m banking on no PS3 compatibility and odds are against PS1 or PS2 era compatibility.

Interesting info about the next MS console. It’ll be equally interesting to see how this turns out over the next 18 months, when the consoles finally release. 

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

In an interview with CNET, Ryan spoke about a number of new features Sony has planned for the PS5, which include the use of a custom-designed solid-state drive (SSD) as the default storage option, native 4K 120Hz gameplay with the possibility of playing games in 8K, plus backwards-compatibility with games released on the PS4

More interestingly, however, Ryan also spoke about the ability to start games on PS4, continue them on PS5 and then eventually take all that progress back to the PS4 as part of a “cross-generational play” feature that saves data to Sony servers and preserves your game state.

"Whether it's backwards compatibility or the possibility of cross generational play, we'll be able to transition that community to next-gen," Ryan told CNET. "It won't be a binary choice about whether you have to be either on PlayStation 4 or next-gen to continue your friendship."  

https://www.techradar.com/news/playstation-ceo-confirms-ps5-backwards-compatibility-ssd-and-4k120hz-output

that

is 

amazing!

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

More interestingly, however, Ryan also spoke about the ability to start games on PS4, continue them on PS5 and then eventually take all that progress back to the PS4 as part of a “cross-generational play” feature that saves data to Sony servers and preserves your game state.

"Whether it's backwards compatibility or the possibility of cross generational play, we'll be able to transition that community to next-gen," Ryan told CNET. "It won't be a binary choice about whether you have to be either on PlayStation 4 or next-gen to continue your friendship."  

That is great! I never saw this coming, but I'm glad they're doing it.

1 hour ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

We either keep the dumb gimmicks or we forgo backwards compatibility. We can't have both.

Damn, I didn't think of that.

I've already come up with two possible solutions to have both.

1. Re-introduce the start and select buttons (or add two new buttons) and have them work by acting like you pressed that a side of the touch pad. That would make most PS4 games work with the new controller but games like Gal*Gun: Double Peace that use the touchpad for then a button wouldn't be fully playable.

2. Make the PS4 controller compatible with the PS5.

Alternative 1: There is at least one great PS5 game I want to play at launch -> I will probably sell my PS4 and buy a PS5.

Alternative 2: There are no interesting exclusives at launch -> I will probably still buy the PS5 to cut down on load times in my PS4 games :D

It would be sweet if it came with support for 4k blu-ray discs, then I'd definitely have no argument against trying to get one as soon as the console is available.