Big trouble, little hands EASY method

UlvenFenrir

• 11 months later...
On 11/06/2019 at 5:31 PM, UlvenFenrir said:

this should work 100% of the time. big trouble, little hands is one of the harder trophies in the game but i found a neat little glitch/bug that will make this very easy to obtain.

you can spot lil joby on athena 4-2 or 4-3 if youre lucky. once you spot him running around, the idea is to pick him up and carry him all the way to the boss. the problem with this? he dies pretty fast and instantly. enemy projectiles can easily hit him while you carry him and if you leave him around too long, he dies and despawns if you walk too far away from him.

now, usually on athena 4-2 there will be two laser grid doors preventing you access. you obviously cant leave lil joby around while you take care of all enemies. bad idea. so here are the steps and the glitch/bug you want to utilize.

preparation before step 1-4 make sure you have MAX health/armor or as close to max as possible before athena 4-2/4-3 and use the assault rifle with the exploding rounds upgrade if possible. (Prime 2 nailgun)

step 1. find lil joby on athena 4-2 or 4-3. (chance of him spawning is random and level seed is pre-determined as soon as you end the previous level, meaning if you back up your save to the ps cloud and re-download your save in hope that lil joby will spawn, forget it. wont work. however with that said, if lil joby did spawn prior to ending the previous level, saving your game, uploading it and re-downloading it everytime you fail keeping lil joby safe, WILL work as he was already spawned as part of the level seed)

step 2. once you spot lil joby, quickly pick him up and keep jumping, trying to find the laser grid doors (jumping will make you gain momentum and speed instead of just running normally) then once you spot the laser grid door, jump through it and take a hit to your health/armor (sometimes you wont lose any if youre lucky), proceed to the next door and repeat then quickly drop lil joby and kill any enemies chasing you and shoot the exit terminal to quickly open the doors. 

step 3. if you made it this far, then you just did the hardest part. now time for some fun. DO NOT proceed to the next level yet, instead, go ahead and save your game using the nearby save terminal and enter the sleeping pod with lil joby. this will take you back to the main menu. you can quit out of the game and upload your save if you wish. then continue your game where you left off and once youre back in the game, youll notice that lil joby has disappeared. dont worry. hes actuslly just glitched/bugged out and is still in your inventory. do not under any circumstance switch weapons! you will take out lil joby and you cant select your weapons again because if you try and drop him, he will instantly explode and die for some reason.

step 4. lil joby is hiding in your inventory and you can now use your assault rifle freely and not worry about lil joby taking damage. sweet! proceed to the boss, break the panel on the right side if the boss as soon as you spawn, then quickly shuffle through your weapons untill lil joby shows up in your hands and throw him in the vent. dont worry, he wont explode and die when you do this, the game automatically registers that you threw him in the vent. boss dies, trophy unlocked, profit. 1f601.png

Actually it isn't luck based if you take damage. Its all momentum based. I used this method for speedrunning it and just playing normally. Just run/jump and build up speed and dash through it. As simple as that.

Edited by lilpain97

• 9 months later...
On 11.06.2019 at 9:31 PM, UlvenFenrir said:

this should work 100% of the time. big trouble, little hands is one of the harder trophies in the game but i found a neat little glitch/bug that will make this very easy to obtain.

you can spot lil joby on athena 4-2 or 4-3 if youre lucky. once you spot him running around, the idea is to pick him up and carry him all the way to the boss. the problem with this? he dies pretty fast and instantly. enemy projectiles can easily hit him while you carry him and if you leave him around too long, he dies and despawns if you walk too far away from him.

now, usually on athena 4-2 there will be two laser grid doors preventing you access. you obviously cant leave lil joby around while you take care of all enemies. bad idea. so here are the steps and the glitch/bug you want to utilize.

preparation before step 1-4 make sure you have MAX health/armor or as close to max as possible before athena 4-2/4-3 and use the assault rifle with the exploding rounds upgrade if possible. (Prime 2 nailgun)

step 1. find lil joby on athena 4-2 or 4-3. (chance of him spawning is random and level seed is pre-determined as soon as you end the previous level, meaning if you back up your save to the ps cloud and re-download your save in hope that lil joby will spawn, forget it. wont work. however with that said, if lil joby did spawn prior to ending the previous level, saving your game, uploading it and re-downloading it everytime you fail keeping lil joby safe, WILL work as he was already spawned as part of the level seed)

step 2. once you spot lil joby, quickly pick him up and keep jumping, trying to find the laser grid doors (jumping will make you gain momentum and speed instead of just running normally) then once you spot the laser grid door, jump through it and take a hit to your health/armor (sometimes you wont lose any if youre lucky), proceed to the next door and repeat then quickly drop lil joby and kill any enemies chasing you and shoot the exit terminal to quickly open the doors. 

step 3. if you made it this far, then you just did the hardest part. now time for some fun. DO NOT proceed to the next level yet, instead, go ahead and save your game using the nearby save terminal and enter the sleeping pod with lil joby. this will take you back to the main menu. you can quit out of the game and upload your save if you wish. then continue your game where you left off and once youre back in the game, youll notice that lil joby has disappeared. dont worry. hes actuslly just glitched/bugged out and is still in your inventory. do not under any circumstance switch weapons! you will take out lil joby and you cant select your weapons again because if you try and drop him, he will instantly explode and die for some reason.

step 4. lil joby is hiding in your inventory and you can now use your assault rifle freely and not worry about lil joby taking damage. sweet! proceed to the boss, break the panel on the right side if the boss as soon as you spawn, then quickly shuffle through your weapons untill lil joby shows up in your hands and throw him in the vent. dont worry, he wont explode and die when you do this, the game automatically registers that you threw him in the vent. boss dies, trophy unlocked, profit. 1f601.png

Thank you so much for finding this method - it really works exactly as you described. I learned to go through laser grids without damage, namely with the help of bunny hopping with a strafe, almost like in good old Quake2.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 6/11/2019 at 12:31 PM, UlvenFenrir said:

Worked like a charm! But something strange happened afterwards...

"Big Trouble, Little Hands" popped as soon as lil Joby destroyed the final boss, but once I finished the epilogue sequence, I also unlocked "Untouchable" even though I definitely obtained additional shields and health throughout the run (normally, you earn this trophy when you complete a run without picking up any shields/health). Stranger still, I unlocked the "All Star" trophy since this was my first successful run through the game, but failed to unlock "Committed" for beating the game without using any teleporters. I haven't finished assembling any teleporters, so I'm not sure how I could have possibly used any. 

Does anyone know if the lil Joby inventory glitch can affect trophy-related statistics? If not, does anyone know why the "Committed" trophy may have failed to pop? To add a little more context, I found and attached piece 3 of the Black Canyon Teleporter alongside piece 2 for both the Burbs and Athena teleporters during my run, but I never actually used any of them (unless "use" includes assembly). I saved at the end of each level and backed up my save to the cloud throughout the run.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ExistentialSolid said:

To add a little more context, I found and attached piece 3 of the Black Canyon Teleporter alongside piece 2 for both the Burbs and Athena teleporters during my run, but I never actually used any of them (unless "," includes assembly). I saved at the end of each level and backed up my save to the cloud throughout the run.

For "Committed" trophy you must complete a run without using the cryopods (the save points between stages)

Apparently they count as a teleporter, so you have to beat the game in one sitting without saving (it gets much easier with the modifiers after beating the game a couple of times, tho)

About the "Untouchable"... If you really have not collected any items I don't know what could be going on. I got "Big Trouble, Little Hands" before getting "Untouchable" (in a later run), so I guess it's not just about the lil Joby inventory glitch. 

My guess is that you could reseted all the stages that you got some item.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 5:06 AM, LOG-FX said:

For "Committed" trophy you must complete a run without using the cryopods (the save points between stages)

Apparently they count as a teleporter, so you have to beat the game in one sitting without saving (it gets much easier with the modifiers after beating the game a couple of times, tho)

About the "Untouchable"... If you really have not collected any items I don't know what could be going on. I got "Big Trouble, Little Hands" before getting "Untouchable" (in a later run), so I guess it's not just about the lil Joby inventory glitch. 

My guess is that you could reseted all the stages that you got some item.

Thank you for the quick response! I'm relieved to hear that the "Committed" trophy wasn't buggy, it just had different unlock requirements than I was expecting.

I guess the "Untouchable" trophy is going to remain a mystery for the time being. I'm positive I picked up health and shields throughout the run and even went out of my way to follow the instructions outlined in this thread to max out both before starting 4-2. I don't believe I picked up any health/shields during 4-2, 4-3, the final boss, or the epilogue, but I'm not sure if that matters. The only explanations I can come up with are:

A. Saving and quitting the game via cryopod might make the game "forget" that you've picked up health or shields up to that point in a run.
B. The Lil Joby inventory glitch may have altered in-game statistics in such a way that "Untouchable" can pop in certain cases.
C. There may be specific health or shield pick-ups that invalidate an "Untouchable" run. It's possible that I only ever picked up health from wall dispensers and shields from the crafting/conveyor belt shop. I don't remember running into any grounded health or shield pick-ups (like those found in secret areas).

Either way, I really appreciate you replying. I would have lost sleep over the "Committed" trophy especially thinking it was definitely supposed to pop. Thanks again! 

-----

Edit: I'm pretty sure I figured out what happened. The trophy description states "Beat the game without obtaining any additional shields or health." I didn't learn until 30+ hours into the game that you could increase your maximum health by collecting 4-5 health pickups when you already have full health. The same may apply to shields. In either case, I never increased my maximum shields or health during the run which may be what the trophy is checking for.

Regardless, the "Untouchable" trophy (alongside "Punch Drunk", "Speed Runner", and "Big Trouble, Little Hands"), even under the assumption that you cannot pick up health/shields at all, can be earned without much trouble by building the teleporter to Athena, teleporting to 4-1 (without a weapon if going for "Punch Drunk"), bunny hopping as fast as you can to the end of 4-1, saving, finding a Little Joby in 4-2/bunny hopping to the end, saving (which will trigger the inventory glitch), bunny hopping to the end of 4-3, and pulling out the Little Joby during the boss fight to beat the boss.

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1