e3 2019 reactions

skinner49

I think Square Enix takes second place. Ubi and Bethesda were awful. The screaming was hilarious though. Square Enix was like game play after game play of good stuff.

I was actually upset the Banjo-Kazooie was a DLC...and not a full game. At least Playtonic is trying again with Yooka Laylee.

• Like 1

It wasn't the best E3 for me. Most of the games just showed cinematic trailers with little to no actual in-game footage, which tells me nearly nothing about the game. Often, games don't look anything like their cinematic trailers in the moment-to-moment gameplay.

There were some cool announcements, like maybe Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, but with only cinematic trailers to go off of, we have literally no idea what the game will look like.

I feel like lots of games were talked about, but very little substantial material was shown for those games. I know everyone loved Square Enix's conference for showing lots of gameplay, and I thought FF7 Remake looked cool, but I don't play may Square Enix games or JRPGs in general so many of their announced titles didn't matter to me. Never played Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc.

The best part about the entire conference for me was getting release dates / release periods for games we already knew about.

Edited by ResoluteRock

1 hour ago, Sky_RykerXD said:

I was actually upset the Banjo-Kazooie was a DLC...and not a full game.

Well, a lot of people think that Joker in Smash means Persona 5 is coming to Switch eventually. So maybe Banjo's inclusion means either (a) Microsoft is allowing remasters of the existing games to go to Switch, or (b) Rare is working on a new Banjo game that will go to Switch after a period of time on Xbox/PC, like Cuphead did. Maybe there's hope.

I waited like an idiot for Konami special announcement, it was on 2:30 am here, hoping they will announce metal gear solid remake or silent hill remake or something... no, they announced retro mini console turbografix... man. And then I remembered and said, it's Konami u idiot, move on and forget.

• Like 2

Honestly for me it was way more meh than the last year. I won't say dissapointing because I have no tangent with Square Enix or Nintendo, I don't play their games .

What I liked : 

Cyberpunk 2077 having Keanu Reeves. Memes aside ,that man is legendary.

Elden Ring. Thanks Miyazaki for returning to western medieval dark fantasy stuff. Sekiro was good but I feel his area of expertise are claymores not katanas xD . 

I felt sad for the public at Bethesda conference. It felt like Todd Howard would release the nukes on them if they didn't woooo at every 5 seconds. But oh well, it's show business baby !:dance::dance:

• Like 1

I watched some of the shows, but mostly just read up on what was showcased partly because in EU some shows are in the middle of the night, but mostly because I can't stand those "I've learnd my speech word by word and will not deviate from my buzzword-filled narrative" type of speeches. 

I'm usually not interested in 95% of the new releases anyways, so I wasn't expecting to be blown away by what they showed this year. The trailer for Elden Ring was cryptic, but I liked it, and reading the interview with Miyazaki afterwards really was the highlight of the show for me. It's the only game I'll be pre-ordering for a while, though (besides Silksong, but no news about that one). 

Other than that, as someone that comes from a JRPG and more specifically Final Fantasy gaming history, I'll pick up FFVIII once it releases, and I was really impressed by the FFVII Remake gameplay footage and trailer. But knowing that the first game will only cover the events in Midgard and that the devs are not even sure what will be included in the second game (and they have not started development yet) killed my hype. 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 2

E3 has been average and I’m probably being nice. Nintendo was the best with Square Enix in second. Still, have lots of games I’m keeping an eye on. Bowser cameo in the Nintendo Direct was real funny. xD

Next year, fewer bribed screaming idiots in the crowd please! 

I can't find any information on Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, except that it's going to be released in winter. Did they really still neither confirm nor deny that there is local multiplayer as well?

For this E³ I didn't have high expectations and they were met. The remake of Trials of Mana could be interesting, I might be picking up Lucky's Tale on Switch, but nothing spectacular. I really thought Microsoft might be smart enough to utilise the potential headstart over Sony, but nope.

• Like 1

Between Bethesda's bought-and-paid-for crowd, Squenix continually turning FFVII into a bland FFXV reskin, Double Fine turning traitor, and Nintendo doubling down on killing the Zelda series while getting all too chummy with Microsoft, it may well be the worst E3 of all time. FFVIII was the only thing that I was genuinely happy to see.

If nothing else, it further vindicates my decision to shift my focus primarily towards retro gaming once I finish my PlayStation backlog sometime next year. There is more genuine fun and joy to be found in video game's past than in its presence or future these days. Some evergreen classics I replay yearly anyways; some I haven't played since before the Obama administration; and heck, even some I missed along my long and convoluted video game journey. I've been playing a few all along the last seven or so years just to keep my zen (and indeed, sanity) amidst the unrelenting onslaught of negative video game industry press and decisions. If ever there was a time to bring back that old flash video series, Decline of Video Gaming (you'll thank me later), it's now.

...Hey, it's not as if any new games actually worth playing and remembering aren't coming out at a pace manageable enough for me to squeeze those in from time to time, anyways. Yep, there's never been a better time to (mostly) walk away from the whole thing.

Edited by AK-1138
Posted it a mite prematurely by accident.

Wasn't that great. You can tell Bethesda and Ubi are in a holding pattern waiting for the new consoles. Which made them not show their most anticipated games.

Microsoft was alright, nothing too flash.

Thought Square's show was boring as and the Avengers game doesn't look fantastic but still I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm expecting that next year's E3 will be one to watch with new the Xbox being shown off more and launch titles announced. Hopefully Sony will be there to do the same for the PS5.

8 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Bowser cameo in the Nintendo Direct was real funny.

I knew they'd pull that joke in the Direct. xD I bet the King of Koopas got his name because of Doug being in Nintendo when Super Mario Brothers came out, just like how Yu-Gi-Oh dubbed Osiris the Sky Dragon as Slifer because some guy at PR called Roger Slifer wanted to be famous and bribed Konami to do that. But unlike that abomination, I don't mind Bowser's name. ;)

Got some release dates for some important games (to me) like Cyberpunk 2077, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

It's not a great sign when the best announcements are just release dates... and none of them are even in 2019.  Not much in the way of genuinely interesting new reveals.  Breath of the Wild 2 was a cool surprise, but it took me so long to get into the first one it's too hard to get excited about it... though I will probably get/enjoy it eventually.  Watch_Dogs Legion, some interesting looking indies, etc.  Shrug.

EDIT: Given how much I enjoy Limited Run Games releases, and those limited print groups in general, there were some cool announcements from them.  Physical copies of Night in the Woods and Transistor are two must haves for me.  The Turok games, realMyst, etc are in the maybe pile.

EDIT 2: Oh and getting info and a timeline on the next Xbox, which probably means Sony will follow suit with the PS5, is huge.  But again, good for 2020... what've you done for me lately.

Edited by Dreakon13

8 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

Bethesda's bought-and-paid-for crowd,

I don't think Bethesda paid the crowd to act excited, they just paid that one guy to yell "YEEAH!!!! " really loud a lot.

11 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

Very underwhelming e3 but it’s to be expected since this generation is coming to an end. I was quite satisfied with the amount of release dates that were revealed so that’s good at least. 

The really good games are usually released near the end of a console's. I guess even the developers are ready to move on to the next generation.

Bethesda and Square were okay. Nothing during those press conferences excited me. It's good to see Square is still working on that FF7 game that everyone else is excited for but I don't care about. I may try the classic FF7 because the combat is more my cup of pudding and old graphics don't bother you for more then 15 minutes if the story, sound and gameplay is good. I'm honestly surprised we didn't hear anything about Bethesda's Star-whatever game they announced last year.  

I liked Microsofts conference. Phantasy Star Online was the most shocking announcement of E3 for me, even if I don't like MMORPGs and the game is far from new. Microsoft bothered to actually show up.

I was going into the Ubisoft conference expecting to hate and came out presently surprised. Watch Dogs: Legion  (I'm surprised they are still making Watch Dogs games after how the first one was received but I guess it made a lot of money so they will keep making them) had some new gameplay features that I thought are really cool. I hope they don't knacker it up because I'm actually considering buying this Watch Dogs game. The new Just Dance game looked liked every other Just Dance game but I've been looking for something new to play on my Wii since Skyward Sword came out. I didn't care for the mobile Splinter Cell game; I would have given it a pass if they announced a new Splinter Cell game. A black screen saying "New Splinter Cell game" would have satisfied most people.

Nintendo won by default in my opinion and there "conference" was only okay for me. Luigi's Mansion 3 isn't for me. Animal Crossing is nice to see in action. The Breath of the Wild 2 trailer was a very nice way of showing a black screen with "Breath of the Wild 2" on it. The only new game announcement that I liked in the Nintendo E3 Direct was No More Heroes 3 . I was a little sad to not see any Bayonetta 3. Spyro being on Switch is neat. I personally wish they used the overweight Banjo & Kazooie from the start of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts for Smash, just to see how angry everyone would get.

This was clearly a wrap up year for the current console generation. I don't think it was bad if that's taken into account. A lot of the stuff in the works aren't going to be announced until we see the new consoles. There were some good things going on, however. Microsoft had some interesting stuff. Blair Witch was unexpected and looks pretty good and it was nice to finally see something for Fallen Order. Not a lot of "new" stuff, even among the indie stuff. Like I'd seen gameplay for 12 minutes a long time ago but it looks a bit cleaner now. Bethesda was a bit Meh. Nothing really new. Deathloop and Ghostwire are intriguing, but I'm not really hyped for them yet without knowing more. Nice Doom gameplay, but I was going to play that anyway. Ubisoft was also underwhelming, but I wasn't expecting much. Watch Dogs Legion looks interesting, but such a massive concept is going to require some serious proof of viability over the entire game length. But honestly the rest of the conference was mostly Tom Clancy clone games, of which I only really play The Division. Gods & Monsters was the only thing that really interested me, but they showed basically nothing and was a weird way to end the conference. This is a shame, because I know Ubisoft is capable of publishing some great games that's aren't their big tentpole games. Square Enix was honestly not exciting. A lot of iterations on existing properties. FFVII remake looks like fun, but I'm not sure I want that game broken up into parts. And I was not at all into the Avengers reveal. It felt really outdated and just weird, but I'll have to wait for actual game play. Nintendo may be considered to win because they do just what Nintendo fans want them to do. Older games on the Switch (I really don't understand that). Pokemon (woohoo?). Animal crossing (delayed). I mean, I guess Nintendo fans were satisfied, but I can't remember the last time Nintendo wowed me with anything. Then they pulled a Metroid Prime 4 with Zelda. Tell you they're working on something but that could be years and years away, but people jump on it anyway like it's some big shock that it's happening. 

Like I said, I think this was just a tough year because all the big Games aren't going to be announced in the last year of a console generation, IMO. So anyone expecting more was probably not being realistic. So I'd say the conference met my expectations which weren't all that high. 

Honestly, this was a pretty decent E3 for me. Seiken Densetsu 3 is finally getting a Western release (and the remake looks magical to boot), Ni no Kuni will be remastered, Tales of Arise looks promising as heck... I'm pleased with the unusual amount of Japanese loveliness! I suppose these are the refugees from the mobage monster that no doubt infests the halls of the Tokyo Game Show nowadays.

• Like 2