How do you play your games?

OverHypedG

I wanted to know how other people, trophyhunters, play their games.

I don't know whether should I play through some games to experience only story, and then come back later to finish off to platinum or to play one game to its platinum.

My problem is when I start a game then I need to finish it.

Currently for sekiro I have at least 6 hours to grind some skill points for plat, but don't really feel like doing so.

How do you play? Do you play some other games and then get back to the first or you play one game until you finish?

I like to be as efficient as possible, so I always follow the platinum trophy and 100% walkthroughs from day 1. I don't do a free for fun playthrough and get everything afterwards. 

Before I start a game, I make a list of all the missables and trophies that can be worked on naturally by progressing (e.g. 1000 enemy kills, opening all chests etc), and literally comb through the game doing as much as I can in the first playthrough, then clean up afterwards.

I also usually play until the platinum and do two games at once before moving on to the next game. I work on one game on my vita (which i play on public transport, holidays, travel etc) and another game on my PS4 when at home.

• Like 3

I like to play one game at a time because of multiple reasons

Firstly I don't like playing more than one game at a time , I play 2 games at most and that's rare I only play more than 1 game at a time if a server closure is announced or something

Or if it's a huge boring grind maybe I'll play another game with it but only if it's a really long grind like Dragon Ball FighterZ , MK9 etc

Secondly, I want to make this ACC sit at 100% completion most of the time

So when I play 1 game at a time

I can focus on one game and enjoy it and keep my completion high

• Like 4

well, i always have an online game to play with my friends, like Rocket League. Overwatch, For Honor, etc. that i play anytime i want to game with friends.

beyond that im mostly a single minded gamer, i play one game til im done with it then move on. of course, there's the occasional exception where i take a break from a game due to excessive grinding or frustration. I took a break from Ico after being frustrated by the speedrun and i took a break from Birth by Sleep after i accidentally deleted my save file.

Depends on the game but definitely need to switch them up or get bored of a single game.  However, I only like 1-2 story/campaign based games at a time, will switch up with sports, online, rhythm, other games that are non-story focused.

• Like 1

If I'm into the game I try to get the plat/100% before moving on, if it's a game I'm indifferent about then maybe I'll start something else and go back to it later.

I tend to finish a game and then go back to multiple incomplete ones for a bit before starting anything new.

• Like 2

I look at a trophy guide, if one exists, for missables. Then I play it semi-blindly for the first playthrough with only the missables in mind. I'll clean up after completing the game if I'm going for 100%. I'm not a completionist though, I have many games on the go at once and will move on as soon as I'm bored.

• Like 4

I usually do a blind playthrough of the story first on normal difficulty just to get to grips with the game and enjoy the story and if it has multiplayer I'll play a bit of that inbetween. Once first playthrough and multiplayer is done my next playthrough will be collectibles and all micellaneous trophies as I'm familiar with the game and know where to go/what to do before the final playthrough on hardest difficulty as I like to focus on enjoying the challenge. It's not the most efficient way but it's the most enjoyable/stress free, you know, rather than following a guide while playing on the hardest difficulty for the first time, and allows me to make the most out of the game and of course it varies depending on what the game is. I'll also usually play a few games at one time but I try to avoid that as I often leave a couple behind/unfinished when I mean to get back to them for quite a while.

• Like 1

For me personally I usually have a couple things on the go depending on my mood. I usually have some sort of fighting game on the go, something for that single player feeling and also usually have something on the go to play with friends. So I do bounce around quite a lot but I usually try and finish up the story or the main things for games and if I really enjoy it I'll go for that 100%.

The only thing I usually look up when playing a game is if anything is missable, so I can at least pick that up and go back to it at a later date for the more boring grindy parts if I'm feeling it .

• Like 1

I like working on the platinum/100% for multiple games at a time (usually 2 or 3). It's best if they're different genres, so that way if I'm not in the mood to play one, I have the option of playing something else. I try to have one of the games I work on be something that requires my full attention (like something with a story) while having at least one other game that I can play on mute while I watch/listen to something else (something grindy/tedious). I find I'm much more efficient when I don't force myself to play one thing at a time. 

I never bother with a "blind" playthrough. I pay attention to the trophies from the get-go because I'd rather not waste time. I have a ridiculous backlog as it is. :P

• Like 3

I don't like to play more than two games at a time and even then the second game I prefer it to be something that doesn't take long. But I don't really do blind playthroughs unless a guide says it's fine otherwise I just get all the collectibles and whatever else and then clean up after that.

15 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

I decided to actually look at your list, and it seems you're more focused on playing easy 1-hour platinums. The fuck kinda break you need to take in between Inksplosion and Fullblast?

Made me laugh, thank you for that ?

On topic: I started out by playing 1-2 games at a time. Once I started getting into much longer games (AC: Odyssey, Hitman 2, etc.) I started to bump that number up. I’m at 11 games on my list right now :o I’ve been trying to focus on one or two at a time but I get burnt out, so I leave the game to play something else and come back to it later. Some nights, I just feel a “screw it, I need something new” urge and start something new.

• Like 1

I play games while lying on my belly, supported by my body pillow. on my very uncomfortable bed, no lights on, using the console's default controller, using a TV that doesn't support a resolution above 1080p, only every lying down 2 meters (6½ feet to Americans) max from my TV, with air conditioning on.

*proceeds to answer the intended question*

I usually play a game with the intention of trophy hunting it. I'll look at a guide before playing to see if the game has misable trophies; the only games I exclude from this practice are visual novels, fighting games, roguelikes and any game I play on Nintendo. I'll proceed to play a game as blind  as I can after I know a game has no missables or after I read the requirements for the missable trophies. I'll usually finish the main story before consulting a guide for trophies I'm not sure how to earn and collectables. For visual novels, I won't consult a guide until I can't progress in any direction and have done every idea I can think of to progress. I will write down things I need for certain trophies on paper when I need to remember a lot of information; I've done that with Hyperdimension Neptunia and Dark Souls so far but I'll start doing more because if found it to be very useful.

I'll usually play a game until I get the platinum unless I get distracted with another game or some trophies require huge time investments. DLC I'll play if I own it, won't fret over the trophies if I don't want to do them. I never buy DLC just for trophies. Games with no platinum I tend to ignore if I have a A rank in them. I'll get 100% if I feel like it. I earn trophies in a 100% only game until A rank if I don't like the game or feel some trophies are too hard or need a huge time investment to earn.

When I play select a difficulty setting, I usually pick normal because it tends to be the most fun and well-balanced. If a trophy requires playing on a high difficulty, I'll start on that difficulty if it's available. When I'm doing multiple playthroughs of a game, I'll pick the easiest setting because it just saves time and lowers my stress level.

I always try to hunt 2-3 games at a time. I'll switch between the games after a long play sessional in one game, get a certain number of trophies in one game or just feel like playing something else. I set a trophy quota of at least three trophies per day. Rank and rarity don't matter so anything will suffice. If I earn more than 3 in a day, the extra's don't carry over, so I still have to earn 3 tomorrow. If I don't get 3, I haven't thought or punishment for myself yet because I haven't met the quota 2 times since I started; I just remembered how many trophy quotas I missed and made up the trophies so it wasn't a big deal.

I usually put on a podcast or something to listen to when I replaying a game for trophies, the game has little story or I just feel like it. It helps keep me focused and entertained during the boring part of trophy hunting.

Because I trophy hunt, I find it really hard to play a game where I have all the trophies or any game that doesn't have them; the only exceptions being Sims 4 and Pokemon. I get feel very on edge while playing a game I can't earn any trophies in, find it hard to play for more than a few hours and usually will try to rush to finish my task in the game I'm playing. I don't play my Wii U or 3DS at all because of this. I bought both Style Savvy: Fashion Forward and Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright to try and play my 3DS but haven't put time into them compared to most games I platinumed/100% in the last 5 years. The only reason I can still play Pokemon is that I gave myself the task of catching all the Pokemon (not counting the mythicals), then I did it and I haven't played Pokemon since. I haven't tried playing games on X-Box or Steam yet, maybe I'll be okay on those platforms.

• Like 1

First day i am like a kid enjoying a new toy  , now comes the second part of my thinking ,the adult one ... well after getting the joy i start to search for everything that is to do, challanges and so on i also have that dirty  hobby of searching for bugs glichtes and mistakes made by the developer and i am always making like an angry or happy review of my money spended on the work of this people! And after i like finish the game, i start the clean upp procees ! Sorry for my bad english! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

I decided to actually look at your list, and it seems you're more focused on playing easy 1-hour platinums. The fuck kinda break you need to take in between Inksplosion and Fullblast?

I work 12hrs a day my friend. I sleep 4 or 6. So yeah I get a bit frustrated that I need to finish AC or any other game in three weeks when there are so good games out there

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rakinho993 said:

I work 12hrs a day my friend. I sleep 4 or 6. So yeah I get a bit frustrated that I need to finish AC or any other game in three weeks when there are so good games out there

60+ hours a week here, but I typically don't use that as an excuse. I will admit that I also play the easy games to relax occasionally.

• Like 1

DK Bongo Drums as my controller. I normally go for a couple of games at a time, normally not past Platinum/100% but occasionally I will play past that.

I like a grind occasionally, and a bit of a challenge. I'll normally only go for easy common platinums when i want a milestone.

I hate missable and collectible trophies so i don't normally do those.

Edited by BlazikieronUS
  • Like 1

I don't use guides unless necessary and I'm stuck, which happens very rarely. Playing the game from the very beginning with a guide kills the enjoyment for me. If the game is good and worth playing it again, I will, if not, I don't really care I end up with 10 % completion.