Konami announces TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine mini console

ShonenCat

The only TG-16 I play anywhere remotely habitually is the port of Splatterhouse, which is a Halloween staple around these parts. The arcade original just doesn't play as well for me. What little else I've played consists of second and/or third rate platformers and clunky and sluggish old school RPGs, none of which I can even recall by name. But it'll take a miracle for it to be worse than the PSX Mini in terms of wasting potential.

• Like 2

Not really much of a connoisseur of the TurboGrafx16 but i saw a a couple of games and videos regarding the system potential and it seems a really underrated and not much deserved known console , sandwiched between the most more poular Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive and Super Nintendo(SNES) however it's the very first 16 bit system release on tge marlet , 1 year before the mega drive in Japan.  If Konami wrecks this mini system potential to bloom when the original actually didn't had the chance, we shoud really start Riot ?

Edited by Sigma999
  • Like 2

I don't see why the USA version should not have Rondo of Blood. Couldn't Konami just use the localisation from the PS4/Xbox One versions? They should also try to get Splatterhouse. I've tried the arcade SH (that's an unlockable with the Xbox 360/PS3 Splatterhouse reboot) & liked it as well. It's close to the TG16 gameplay, only a bit more graphic. Splatting zombies into the wall with a 2x4 is a little bit messier. While the 512 KB TG16 card is a good port, it's missing more than a few details. In the 1st stage of the arcade one, you can decap zombies with a cleaver. The church boss battle is uncensored in the arcade & PC-Engine versions. The severed hands in stage 5 flip Rick the bird. What I do like better on the TG16 version is the music arrangement.

Konami should sell extra game compilations for this & make it region free. Of course, the TG16 mini's USA game lineup will probably be lacking compared to the Japanese one.

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

They need to include the super grafx version of ghouls n ghosts, near perfect arcade port

I know, it kills the Genesis version in just about every way. Why not 1941 (another Capcom gem) & Darius as well. It's a shame NEC didn't even give the Super Grafx a chance... it had some potential. Super Grafx CD games could've been amazing.

• Like 1

Haha, you know, I'm still fighting to get that interest you people get in these mini consoles. So far, I like how they look but something about them tells me they're not that great of an investment. xxD Who knows, one day I might end up getting all the ones that have been released so far out of a sudden impulse or something. :P

As for the TG-16 Mini, well, I think the TG-16 itself is one of my least known retro consoles. I haven't played anything from it in the past nor I haven't heard that much about it as to flock to it at any given point. Certainly, I haven't emulated any games from it either. To its credit, I've read there's a great selection of shmups there, second to no other console out there, and that it also sports some interesting ports of games we know from other consoles, but that's about it.

Considering how rare and expensive original TG-16 games are out there, this mini is certainly a nice way for people to (legally) get to enjoy a nice selection of its greatest games for a cheap price. Considering I never played any of these titles in the past and that the TG-16 is an oddity in itself, I can say that I'm moderately interested in this one. :)

Now... Konami is overseeing this thing and they don't have the best reputation out there right now. Fuck Konami anyone? Anyone? Yeah... Fingers crossed for this thing to shape out better than the PS1 Mini.

Oh, and hopefully they will release most of the same games across all regions because if they're going to stick these titles to their regions, they're going to find that the JP region will have a much stronger lineup compared to the NA and EU regions. ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

Now... Konami is overseeing this thing and they don't have the best reputation out there right now. Fuck Konami anyone? Anyone? Yeah... Fingers crossed for this thing to shape out better than the PS1 Mini.

If I said that Konami overseeing this didn't worry me at least a little, I'd be lying.

One really good shmup which I doubt we get on the USA version is Seirei Senshi Spriggan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Spriggan.

Splendid choice! However, I can't hold my breath any longer for these companies given their recent track records. We didn't get Space Megaforce on the SNES Classic or even MUSHA on the Genesis mini. They must think we hate shmups developed by Compile or something ?

Edited by ShonenCat
  • Like 1

I like the idea but have a pc-engine anyway. Not only the console but the cd add on, rgb mod and a sd card mod. I've had this since forever and holy crap this shit is expensive now, I really hope this turns out to be good because lets face it, the other fpga minis kinda suck ass.

Edit: Clearly my entire statement needs an edit. The original console and parts are nothing short of a complete rip off today as far as Ebay is concerned. I picked all this stuff up on the cheap over the years except for the SD mod but that pays for itself really. Any Hard Off in japan will have a pc engine floating about for a couple of bucks but western gamers should pay at least %300 price increases because it's "Special". I do hope they do a good job on this mini and as much as "Konami Sux" I don't really care that they have gone Pachinko mad.

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

Splendid choice! However, I can't hold my breath any longer for these companies given their recent track records. We didn't get Space Megaforce on the SNES Classic or even MUSHA on the Genesis mini. They must think we hate shmups developed by Compile or something 1f644.png

I know. That's a serious sacrilege that these games are getting kept from us. At least the Genesis mini will have Darius. Not the original Taito release of Darius II/Sagaia... M2 ported this from the first game of the series. While it's on the PC-Engine as a 768 KB card, the Genesis mini version is 4 MB. I'm really tempted to buy it for this.

Space Megaforce is very good, but the Japanese version Super Aleste is better still. SA has some additional BGM, some different voices, nice SD art on the options & game over screens, & a better ending.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

MAJOR UPDATE INCOMING! Read first post for full details.

-Release date

-Japanese price

-Entire game list

-Where to buy/preorder

@AK-1138 Sorry, no Splatterhouse :( But it's still light years better than the PS1 Classic xD

@DaivRules Bonk's Adventure in Japanese, but Bonk's Revenge in English o.O

@SnowxSakura Your wish has come true! You're getting the SuperGrafx version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts ;)

Everyone else who has shown an interest ^^

@Sigma999 @RadiantFlamberge @Honor_Hand @Chocolate GiddyUp @Z1MZUM

Nice for the people that have never played it, I own it already though. 

Also a strange choice to pick the ninja gaiden port....it's a game to say the least,  has some horrible background scrolling

Pretty amazing that they are actually releasing games on all regions instead of locking them to a particular region. Perhaps someone at Konami caught up on the fact that they didn't have much to offer to the NA and EU regions and said, "Fuck it. We are launching all games in all regions." A wise approach in my opinion.

Also, the fact that both Sapphire and Snatcher are getting a US release it's undoubtedly impressive. The later probably will be difficult to enjoy due to the massive language barrier but hey, the fact that is coming out of Japan is pretty great in itself.

Too bad for the few repeated games there, though. They could have easily added others there. Don't think there's much of a difference between them to warrant having both the NA and JP version of the same game.

So far is shaping lovely... And this is coming from someone that isn't really invested that much in the whole mini console craze. :P

Great work on keeping the post up to date, @ShonenCat :D

• Like 2

I really wish they'd just put this on a disc and download instead of, or at least in addition to, the micro-console. No reason to believe that underpowered box can handle the emulation better than the PS4. Putting it on digital services can also help ensure that these games are available and accessible for future gamers. Once these micro-consoles are sold out, the price and availability is in the hands of the market (scalpers). I bought both the NES and SNES mini and they kind of sit there taking space while I wish I could play the games on my Switch instead. They're kind of a chore to use with all their wires.

It's better than nothing at least and I plan to buy it. Some excellent games on there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

^^ But you can play these games on your switch 1f61c.png

You mean by modding the Switch? I could do that on the PSP already. I bought the SNES mini to own the games legally and the format of a Switch cart would have been much more convenient for me than a micro-console. There is nothing that these micro-consoles do that could not have been accomplished on a PS4 or Switch. Rondo of Blood will not be better emulated on this just because the console physically looks like a PC Engine/TG-16.

I get that people think these consoles are cute and make great gifts but I still wish they would also release the games on modern gaming platforms. I don't need yet another console to hook up to my TV.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

You mean by modding the Switch? I could do that on the PSP already. I bought the SNES mini to own the games legally and the format of a Switch cart would have been much more convenient for me than a micro-console. There is nothing that these micro-consoles do that could not have been accomplished on a PS4 or Switch. Rondo of Blood will not be better emulated on this just because the console physically looks like a PC Engine/TG-16.

I get that people think these consoles are cute and make great gifts but I still wish they would also release the games on modern gaming platforms. I don't need yet another console to hook up to my TV.

Yes, a modded switch is pretty much the only reason I even turn it on. I really do like the PC Engine and doubt I'd replace it with this product, I feel people in the west are ripped off with the true cost of buying a pc engine.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:25 AM, iriihutoR84 said:

There is nothing that these micro-consoles do that could not have been accomplished on a PS4 or Switch. Rondo of Blood will not be better emulated on this just because the console physically looks like a PC Engine/TG-16.

Agreed. I'd rather have had Konami go with that emulator that Rondo of Blood uses on PS4 & make a compilation for PS4/X1/PC. I'd rather use a PS4 arcade stick to play the games instead of a TG16 pad. What if the mini console's emulation turns out to be actually worse, with extra slowdown or some frameskipping? I just hope Konami didn't cheap out on the CPU.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE INCOMING!

-Final games

-Emulation details

Today Konami has added a good few more games to the upcoming mini console. They also mentioned in a press release that M2 will be handling the emulation, much like the Genesis mini.

⚫️ Dragon Spirit

?? Tengai Makyō II: Manji Maru

⚫️ Galaga 88

⚫️ Genji and the Heike Clans

⚫️ Legend of Valkyrie

⚫️ Seirei Senshi Spriggan

? Splatterhouse (regional differences)

⚫️ Spriggan Mark 2

On June 15, 2019 at 8:18 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

One really good shmup which I doubt we get on the USA version is Seirei Senshi Spriggan

That's where you're wrong, buddy ;)

On June 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM, AK-1138 said:

The only TG-16 I play anywhere remotely habitually is the port of Splatterhouse

Looks like Splatterhouse made it on after all ^^ Keep in mind there is regional differences between the TG16 and PCE versions. Mainly the color of the Terror Mask and use of religious imagery.

Edited by ShonenCat
  • Like 2