RedDevil757

State of Modern Gaming

18 posts in this topic

This gen has been the worst for me and I've been gaming since the 80s. 

I got my PS4 day one and was meh with it straight away. Sure the tech is great but the games just weren't as good. I've still got hyped for games. Red Dead 2 got it day one and was so disappointed. Spider-Man or cutscenes the game as I like to call it, crap. God of War, one of my favourite series surely I can't go wrong there? No that's a babysitting sim it's not GOW. HZD crap. The one I'll probably get hate for... Uncharted... Tried to like it several times but no. I've played so many games this gen and the only one I can say I loved on PS4 was Alien isolation.

I thought for the longest time it was just me. Maybe I was just burnt out or whatever. I've not been liking or been really disappointed with nearly everything on the PS4. Then the mini consoles arrived. SNES, NES and PS1 minis. 

OMFG I love these. The games are still amazing. I think the biggest difference is they're fun. They aren't just a checklist of things to do. They aren't forcing you to watch/listen to a story wether you want it or not. They don't force a tutorial that treats you like an idiot (if I see press X to jump again I'll probably snap) I can not play for a week and still be able to jump back in too.

I stopped buying games for the PS4 last year as I was tired of feeling ripped off. I've had enough of modern gaming. For me it's not fun and it's not good. So with this I've also stopped trophy hunting too. For me this is a really weird feeling as I've always had the latest consoles always wanted the next one too. But now the PS4 is a Netflix player and I've no interest in a PS5. Maybe old age has caught up with me 😆

So now a part from the switch I'm retired from modern gaming.

Anyone else really disappointed with this gen?

I'm still having fun so... *makes mastubatory gesture*

Posted (edited)

Nah this gen was pretty good.

Gaming generations are shaped by more than just AAA exclusives.

Edited by Wavergray

Gaming for the last 30+ yrs, I think gaming is actually finally getting better this generation. And we will see even more incredible stuffs come out next generation, maybe not in the early stages of PS5, but as soon as the devs get more used to the hardware and tech, we will see amazing games pushing us further into the future. 

Modern game is still fine, but seems like you just are not the target audience of its products. Hope you continue having fun with your retirement.

For me it's the opposite. I had a blast with the PS2, but everything I played on last gen felt bland, boring and lifeless, even thought I was tired of single player gaming, since I still had fun with online games.

But until now I'm having a blast with this generation. Hope the next one is even better.

Can't relate. Sucks that it happened but at least you've got something to play that you're enjoying in the classic consoles.

Nope, not disappointed with the current generation of gaming (aside from the disappearing physical purchase options) in the least.

I’m most impressed with the sheer volume of options of games now available to anyone that has even a passing interest in video games. Also, the prices of video gaming is at an all-time (inflation adjusted) low this gen.

Maybe that stuff only appeals to me, but I’m okay with that. 

Posted (edited)

I've also been gaming since the 80's and I actually kinda feel the opposite. Gaming just keeps getting better and better imo.

I do agree that story can get super overbearing, and that is a huge complaint of mine when it comes to modern gaming, but that isn't enough to ruin all the other great things for me.

Edited by KingGuy420

Anything is what you make of it. It's not the best time for games to me, but it's far from the worst. There are just so many diverse options right now. All you have to do is seek them out. AAA gets too much attention.

I think previous gens produced more creative games, 16bit to 128bit in particular. This gen has had a huge amount of Games For Consumers, there are a few gems there but I couldn't care if we where still in ps3/360 era.

For me this gen has been the best with masterpieces like The Witcher III and RDR2 etc. Of course there are some shit things as there always has been and always will be.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are this generation games to start with, probably you better watch elsewhere. Resident Evil 2 and 7 were quite a sensation, Witcher, last Deus Ex, Gran Turismo Sport is a solid game. Plus this generation isn't over yet. To add, never played games you mentioned in your post:).

I disagree, I loved this gen with all the remakes! The FF12 TZA remake, crash team racing, CB N sane trilogy, Spyro etc. Also many amazing games like nier automata and persona 5

I’m not going to make walls of text here because I’ve already done that on another thread on what I think regarding the state of modern gaming. 

If you guys want to see what I posted you can view it here:

Getting really tired of this generation and Sony

I bought and played Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood and Contra Anniversary Collection. I had an absolute blast with these titles. 

Now I’m playing Dark Souls and it’s easily 100 times better than anything I’ve seen from the AAA game industry these past couple years. 

This generation has been more of a disappointment than it’s been impressive. The PS3/Xbox 360 generation was more creative and it had more original IPs. 

I’m more excited to play stuff like Dante’s Inferno and Vanquish than I am playing any of the crap Ubisoft shoves down people’s throats and all these giant multi million dollar spectacles filled to the brim with Season Passes, microtransactions, a fuck load of DLC and a bunch of preorder bonuses. All cancers to the gaming industry. 

I mostly play indie titles these days because at least you get different genres or a combination of any of those as opposed to just a few handful of the same stuff we see over and over. 

Games now provide high quality drama. If Game of Thrones type storytelling is your thing, then great. That’s not why I got into video games. A more simple designed game that offers deep gameplay and is difficult to master appeals to me much more than today’s AAA games. These games are always presentation with impressive 4K graphics and they’re catered to sheer casuals who play maybe 5 - 10 hours and not see how homogenized gaming is becoming. 

Here is a link to where I talk about the good and bad games this generation. The darling man in the purple hat also had a link to the place but this link takes you directly to the page where I say things.

I have been gaming since I was old enough to hold a controller in my tiny hands. The first game I played was Sonic 3D Blast on the Sega Mega Drive. I have played games from every generation so have some experience outside of the last few generations.

This generation has been the rise of shady business practices and AAA games slowly turning into mobile games. I honestly have stayed mostly away from buying many AAA games for various reasons. The grafic are nicer but if I wanted to look at something nice I would watch TV or go outside. Back in my day everything was squares, just kidding, I'm not that old. I play games for gameplay, because a game without gameplay is not a game. Having a good story is cool too. 

I feel like every generation had it's problems. The Atari days gave you seizures, had games that killed people, everything was either squares or vectors and the gaming industry was dead in North America after that. Nintendo was a monopoly until Sega decided to make their own console; the console wars were actually fierce back then. Also some violent games came out and video games got ratings.

The N64 & PlayStation generation was pretty good. 1998 is often considered the best year gaming has ever had. The Dreamcast was a console I really like and was Sega's last console. The PS2 era was the generation where we were free from DLC and microtransactions. The games were also good I guess, I wasn't really around for that generation. The Wii, 360 and PS3 generation was the only generation where everyone got their own victory. The Wii was in everyones home, gathering all of the dust. The 360 was the best 3rd party system and had Halo and lots of other games. PS3 was a failure at launch, got hacked real bad, a lot of 3rd party games ran better on X-Box 360 but the PS3 had Metal Gear, Misplaced Charts, The Last of Us, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Tokyo Jungle, Hatsune Miku Project: Diva F, GTA 5 fit on a single disc and the online was free.

PS4 beat the Wii U and X-Box One; the Switch is doing well so far. This generation has had good games and stuff but the AAA industry has gone downhill while making tons of money. There were some good games like Dad of War, Spiderman and Neir but I haven't tounched them. I mostly got my fun out of any game with Neptunia in the title, anything I talked about in the first link, PS3 games and Super Cloudbuilt.

On 20/06/2019 at 8:54 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

I disagree, I loved this gen with all the remakes! The FF12 TZA remake, crash team racing, CB N sane trilogy, Spyro etc. Also many amazing games like nier automata and persona 5

I think the fact you mention remakes just highlights what I'm trying to say. If the new games were great, you wouldn't wanna go back and play the old ones. 

My friends going on about Xbox backwards compatibility could never understand when I'd point out that when a consoles biggest selling point is being able to play old games, there's something wrong!

GOW, HZD, Tomb Raider series, latest proper Metal Gear, the crap new zombie game, the last 2 Assassins Creed, Uncharted series, they all feel like the exact same game with a different skin. I've gotten tired of feeling like I've already played this with a different character.

It's so easy to let hype and being a fanboy cloud your vision just to how bad some of these games are. I was guilty of that till recently.  OMFG this is amazing!!! Look at those graphics!!! Then 10 minutes later I'm bored because it's either forcing cutscene after cutscene on me. Tutorials that treat you like an idiot (they should be optional). Forced dialog that you can't skip. I can't enjoy a game if it's constantly talking at me and not leaving me alone for 2 seconds to actually play the game.

Then as someone pointed out you have season passes, dlc, lootboxes heck the latest NBA even has adverts! The cancer of gaming.

Persona 5 really bought nothing new to the table tbh and I can't see it being any better then 3 or 4 which was back in the Ps2 era. Technically speaking it hasn't evolved for 3 generations and I can see the ps2 handling this with less graphics. Sure it's the game and not the graphics and I do like the game but imo it is a let down. Now MG5 is a game I've enjoyed but again I enjoyed it as much on the ps3, There's 2 new games that don't need the hardware. Oh, GTA5? I really enjoyed that game but it's another updated game that's playable on the ps3. Sniper Elite V2 remaster, ff12 remaster, Secret of mana remaster and Shenmue are all game's i've enjoyed. But they are from a different era, this gen is lacking in creativity badly and it's getting too late for that to change before next gen which will probably be more consumer friendly.