OMG IT'S HAPPENING (FF8 Remaster)

On 20/6/2019 at 4:50 AM, Matrim_Drasgen said:

Nowhere near my favorite FF (second least favorite after that horrible XV)

Lol, it's so funny how different opinioms can be. VIII is my favorite one and XV is second xD. Although I feel IX could easily overtake XV if I play it fully.

I'm haven't played a lot of them, though. From the usually well received ones I still have to play VI. I didn't care much for VII, although I played it for the first time like 2 years ago and it has aged poorly.

For me the worst one is XIII. Well, maybe not worse than II, but around there.

7 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

Lol, it's so funny how different opinioms can be. VIII is my favorite one and XV is second xD. Although I feel IX could easily overtake XV if I play it fully.

I'm haven't played a lot of them, though. From the usually well received ones I still have to play VI. I didn't care much for VII, although I played it for the first time like 2 years ago and it has aged poorly.

For me the worst one is XIII. Well, maybe not worse than II, but around there.

Agreed. My dislike of 8 for all this time and my new dislike for 15 is not common. Everyone uses that excuse that 7 didn't age well but I find it looks amazing still, better than other games made today, plus graphics for a game is not in my priority for enjoyment. I know 7 is old so I know it won't look good. How it plays, the story, battles, the sweet death of that damn flower-girl are what create an amazing game that I can and still play over and over.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2019 at 9:32 AM, kidson2004 said:

I’m still holding onto hope of a Legend of Dragoon remaster. 

Yes please. i sold my copy for a good little fortune awhile back and now I miss it greatly in my life.

3 hours ago, Matrim_Drasgen said:

Agreed. My dislike of 8 for all this time and my new dislike for 15 is not common. Everyone uses that excuse that 7 didn't age well but I find it looks amazing still, better than other games made today, plus graphics for a game is not in my priority for enjoyment. I know 7 is old so I know it won't look good. How it plays, the story, battles, the sweet death of that damn flower-girl are what create an amazing game that I can and still play over and over.

I wasn't talking about the graphics when I said it didn't age well, it's more about how the game is laid out.

A bunch of times I got lost because indications where not clear enough. The materia system is cool but is to me is a case where it is too much freedom. Random encounters would have made it annoying as well because of their frequency, but the PS4 version cheats fix that (along being really slow at points, which is fixed with the 3x speed). Basically stuff that has been streamlined over the years for an overall better experience.

I would never judge such an old game on the graphics. Super Mario 64 looks like crap, too, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

12 minutes ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Yes please. i sold my copy for a good little fortune awhile back and now I miss it greatly in my life.

I bought it when it was on sale in that legendary 99 cents sale. Still looking for a physical copy of it myself. 

7 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

I wasn't talking about the graphics when I said it didn't age well, it's more about how the game is laid out.

A bunch of times I got lost because indications where not clear enough. The materia system is cool but is to me is a case where it is too much freedom. Random encounters would have made it annoying as well because of their frequency, but the PS4 version cheats fix that (along being really slow at points, which is fixed with the 3x speed). Basically stuff that has been streamlined over the years for an overall better experience.

I would never judge such an old game on the graphics. Super Mario 64 looks like crap, too, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

I see your point. Can't remember far enough back to my first playthrough of the game. I know I didn't have a guide book and the internet wasn't utilized either, so I can't honestly say how lost I was or how slow progression was.

• Like 1

I'll admit I'm somewhat interested in the VIII remaster, I've heard several people say it's a good FF game and I figure I'll put it in rotation, though my backlog is hopelessly long to this point.  I forget what the programming issue was that held them back from remastering VIII, perhaps it was just internet puffery, so either they fixed the issue or figured a work around.

22 hours ago, Seabound117 said:

I'll admit I'm somewhat interested in the VIII remaster, I've heard several people say it's a good FF game and I figure I'll put it in rotation, though my backlog is hopelessly long to this point.  I forget what the programming issue was that held them back from remastering VIII, perhaps it was just internet puffery, so either they fixed the issue or figured a work around.

The issue originally was they lost the source code of the game, and also something to do with copyright on the games main love interest theme "Eyes on me", I guess they resolved the issues though, somehow

On 6/19/2019 at 2:59 PM, dakk55 said:

From the looks of it, they'll have boosters as they did in FF7 and FF9. 

They'd better have an EXP Zero option like Kingdom Hearts has or the "Contrived Finish" trophy might be impossible for  some. (Not me, I will just follow that power up guide for the PS2 version that has been floating around GameFAQs forever. I linked to it for anyone who is interested. ;))

4 hours ago, RuneEyesDragon said:

They'd better have an EXP Zero option like Kingdom Hearts has or the "Contrived Finish" trophy might be impossible for  some. (Not me, I will just follow that power up guide for the PS2 version that has been floating around GameFAQs forever. I linked to it for anyone who is interested. ;))

You could unlock the Card skill from Quetzal and then "kill" all foes (excluding bosses) by using that. The bosses don't give EXP, too.

Edited by Lance_87

50 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

You could unlock the Card skill from Quetzal and then "kill" all foes (excluding bosses) by using that. The bosses don't give EXP, too.

It's easier to just leave squall dead for random encounters, card only works when you lower the hp of the enemies enough.

Now that I think about it, could just do a separate speed run after you do a 1st playthrough if you don't want to ruin your initial remake experience by using cheats that is, otherwise you can do a 100% run first playthrough easy enough. No encounter and god mode with 3x speed, kill squall for forced non boss encounters, bosses don't give exp. Could probably cheese the second playthrough in a few hours just smashing through main story with no side quests. Also, avoid getting Odin for obvious reasons lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Well then... I didn't expect this...

I haven't really been getting the Final Fantasy 're-releases' because I've been considering them exactly that. Re-releases. Ports pretty much.

So I never got the re-releases for FF7 or FF9. Though I did get the HD version of FFX/FFX-2. Though that was kind of an exception because the HD version of those games are pretty much the PAL re-releases that had extra content/more super bosses (which I probably won't attempt but still).

Besides I like physical stuff and I don't like digital stuff. As far as I know, the FF7 and FF9 re-releases didn't have physical versions and were download only or something. Even if they weren't, they were basically ports and weren't full remasters like this appears to be.

Plus... ENGLISH VOICES?! ARE THEY KIDDING?! The original did not have this at all. This alone intrigues me.

So I'm interested in getting this now but I'm still unsure. It's pretty much the same situation as FFX/FFX-2 HD. I never beat it legitimately and I cheated with GameShark and/or CodeBreaker codes. ?

So... should I get this? I'm worried it's to hard to beat legitimately... ?

11 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Well then... I didn't expect this...

I haven't really been getting the Final Fantasy 're-releases' because I've been considering them exactly that. Re-releases. Ports pretty much.

So I never got the re-releases for FF7 or FF9. Though I did get the HD version of FFX/FFX-2. Though that was kind of an exception because the HD version of those games are pretty much the PAL re-releases that had extra content/more super bosses (which I probably won't attempt but still).

Besides I like physical stuff and I don't like digital stuff. As far as I know, the FF7 and FF9 re-releases didn't have physical versions and were download only or something. Even if they weren't, they were basically ports and weren't full remasters like this appears to be.

Plus... ENGLISH VOICES?! ARE THEY KIDDING?! The original did not have this at all. This alone intrigues me.

So I'm interested in getting this now but I'm still unsure. It's pretty much the same situation as FFX/FFX-2 HD. I never beat it legitimately and I cheated with GameShark and/or CodeBreaker codes. ?

So... should I get this? I'm worried it's to hard to beat legitimately... ?

Any mention on japanese voices in case the english voices end up being cringy?