OMG IT'S HAPPENING (FF8 Remaster)

This is great news. When this game gets released and I pick this up, maybe this time around I'll actually pass the game since I never got to with the original PS1 version. I remembered getting as far as to Fisherman's Horizon (this town's soundtrack sounds great btw, especially with all the cover performances) and was never able to progress further because my whole party would be slaughtered very fast in a random battle, and never really bothered to replay it again since then. This was due to the monsters being around 20 levels higher than all of my party, except for Squall, he was around the same level as the monsters, but even he wasn't able to hold out on his own. Not sure how the hell I let this happened :facepalm:, but it seems the monsters scale with either Squall's level or the character with the highest level, and this progression may work the same way in this new remastered version.

Anyways, I'll be looking forward to this one.

12 hours ago, Dankey Shaun said:

This is great news. When this game gets released and I pick this up, maybe this time around I'll actually pass the game since I never got to with the original PS1 version. I remembered getting as far as to Fisherman's Horizon (this town's soundtrack sounds great btw, especially with all the cover performances) and was never able to progress further because my whole party would be slaughtered very fast in a random battle, and never really bothered to replay it again since then. This was due to the monsters being around 20 levels higher than all of my party, except for Squall, he was around the same level as the monsters, but even he wasn't able to hold out on his own. Not sure how the hell I let this happened :facepalm:, but it seems the monsters scale with either Squall's level or the character with the highest level, and this progression may work the same way in this new remastered version.

Enemies' levels scale to your active party average, basically (with a few exceptions). In any case, levels aren't that important, having good junctions is. You probably failed because you had a weak junction setup. It's a bit strange Squall was already 20 levels higher than the rest by that point of the game, though ?

Fisherman's Horizon theme is one of my favorites as well, btw.

1 minute ago, DocJackson- said:

Enemies' levels scale to your active party average, basically (with a few exceptions). In any case, levels aren't that important, having good junctions is. You probably failed because you had a weak junction setup. It's a bit strange Squall was already 20 levels higher than the rest by that point of the game, though ?

Yeah, it's all about junctions, and that's it. Junctions and pressing cancel in battle until you get limit break...

7 hours ago, DocJackson- said:

Enemies' levels scale to your active party average, basically (with a few exceptions). In any case, levels aren't that important, having good junctions is. You probably failed because you had a weak junction setup. It's a bit strange Squall was already 20 levels higher than the rest by that point of the game, though 1f609.png

Are you sure about this? I remembered my Squall being around level 60 while everyone else was at around 40, and I made attempts of even going back to some of the beginning monsters of the game in hopes of trying to level everyone else up, but every monster I went into battle with were also around 60ish and even they slaughtered my whole party quickly. It's been a long 20 years since I played this game around the original's release date so I won't be surprised if I remembered any part of this wrong...except the whole being slaughtered part. xD Maybe someone else who got themselves in a similar situation as me in the game can confirm.

I could have swore I did everything I could back then, including maximizing my junction setup to recover from this situation but yeah, chances are a better junction setup (it's been awhile so I totally forgotten how the junction setup works) that I wasn't aware of back then could have been my saving grace. Since I usually play my FF's on 'active', I don't even remember if I even tried toning it down to 'wait' and see if that'll even help. 

I'm a smarter, better gamer today compared to back then so a mistake like this won't happen again.

Edit: As for the whole level gap between Squall and the rest of the crew, I think it's because I never took out Squall out of my party once while everyone else was more evenly used

Edited by Dankey Shaun

5 hours ago, Dankey Shaun said:

I could have swore I did everything I could back then, including maximizing my junction setup to recover from this situation but yeah, chances are a better junction setup (it's been awhile so I totally forgotten how the junction setup works) that I wasn't aware of back then could have been my saving grace. Since I usually play my FF's on 'active', I don't even remember if I even tried toning it down to 'wait' and see if that'll even help. 

I'm a smarter, better gamer today compared to back then so a mistake like this won't happen again.

Edit: As for the whole level gap between Squall and the rest of the crew, I think it's because I never took out Squall out of my party once while everyone else was more evenly used

In short, don't level if you can help it (run from fights that aren't required), collect as much magic as you can (drawing max stacks of magic in a single fight for all three characters is pretty much what you do in the early game for a few hours followed by running from the fight after everyone has maxed magic stacks with exception of boss fights). Assign roles based on GF stat junctions, you'll notice early on some GFs buff health, magic, strength etc. Split those strategically always make Squall the dps, keep his health in critical then spam wait/standby until Renzokuken pops (9999 dmg x4-7 hits)

I think I beat the game with my characters being in their early-mid teens for levels and everything was a joke. Your bulk power comes from magic junctioning so leveling is only good if you want to add a challenge. Even farming items later in the game that require higher lvled monsters can be done without actually leveling your party through the use of GF abilities. At 60 you'd be running into a nasty fight every once in awhile even with pretty decent junctioning. Bad junctioning at that level would be a train wreck.

FF8 has one of the most broken/cheesed combat systems in the franchise they tried to add challenge by scaling monsters with your level but instead players just refused to level and skipped the curve.

Edited by Asmund89

14 hours ago, Dankey Shaun said:

Are you sure about this? I remembered my Squall being around level 60 while everyone else was at around 40, and I made attempts of even going back to some of the beginning monsters of the game in hopes of trying to level everyone else up, but every monster I went into battle with were also around 60ish and even they slaughtered my whole party quickly. It's been a long 20 years since I played this game around the original's release date so I won't be surprised if I remembered any part of this wrong...except the whole being slaughtered part. xD Maybe someone else who got themselves in a similar situation as me in the game can confirm.

Yeah quite sure, although there are additional calculations that can slightly decrease or increase the monsters' levels randomly.

22 hours ago, Asmund89 said:

In short, don't level if you can help it (run from fights that aren't required), collect as much magic as you can (drawing max stacks of magic in a single fight for all three characters is pretty much what you do in the early game for a few hours followed by running from the fight after everyone has maxed magic stacks with exception of boss fights). Assign roles based on GF stat junctions, you'll notice early on some GFs buff health, magic, strength etc. Split those strategically always make Squall the dps, keep his health in critical then spam wait/standby until Renzokuken pops (9999 dmg x4-7 hits)

I think I beat the game with my characters being in their early-mid teens for levels and everything was a joke. Your bulk power comes from magic junctioning so leveling is only good if you want to add a challenge. Even farming items later in the game that require higher lvled monsters can be done without actually leveling your party through the use of GF abilities. At 60 you'd be running into a nasty fight every once in awhile even with pretty decent junctioning. Bad junctioning at that level would be a train wreck.

FF8 has one of the most broken/cheesed combat systems in the franchise they tried to add challenge by scaling monsters with your level but instead players just refused to level and skipped the curve.

Thanks for these tips, I'm sure it'll help those getting into FFVIII for the first time. Ah yes, the junction system is starting to come back to me a little bit more now. Wish I actually knew about some of this information about the game when I played it back then. It could have definitely prevented the situation I was in. FFVIII does feel like the odd one out of all the FFs when it comes to character/monster progression, especially now that you mention that leveling up isn't really the ideal thing to do if you can help it, especially when it seems that almost always in every other JRPG, including FF, that leveling up usually solves the problem of having a weak party.