Patch 1.02 warning

To further elaborate on OP's posts, it's reported that some green chests - which contain key items for progression - are already opened when you see them for the first time under the 1.02 patch. As a result, you can't progress through the game. It's pretty game breaking. It apparently triggers when you load a save that was made before the 1.02 update. Starting after the update exempts your save from the bug.

I hope my PS4 didn't auto-update the game. I'll be disappointed if I have to replay the game. Not devastated as I'm loving every second of it, multiple hours of being forced to replay the game over a bug introduced after the game was launched is obnoxious.

• Like 2

This patch changed A LOT, it even changed the way how crops work.

It seems more like this should have been the day one patch.

Think the reason the chests are bugged is because some contents have been mixed around. So IDs have changes but they dont seem to have prepared them to synch correctly with past saves, hence the problems.

There are key items as well in chests that are bugged which will lock you out.

To be safe, best to begin a fresh save on 1.02, thats what I have done.

I know its not ideal because off lost time, this is a bad example from the Devs releasing a sort of day one patch on day two.

Some additional information I've uncovered through playing. Apparently one of the ways the game is glitched is the chest after fighting the boss Valac at the Towers of Twin Dragons, a chest will appear. In it is the Silver Bromide. If the chest is already opened, you cannot obtain the item and therefore cannot progress.

I started with 1.01 and was somehow lucky enough to have the chest unopened playing 1.02 tonight. Maybe when I updated I wasn't far enough for it to matter? I alternated between Bloodstained and Black Ops 4 with friends so I'm not sure where in the game I was when it updated. But I was definitely not to the Towers yet.

Hope some of this information helps.

Edited by Nightowljrm
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majob said:

I hope they patch this soon because I don't like the idea of having to start over after the hours of grinding I've already done. Guess I'll be playing Judgment until the next patch

Here is the team's official response from their Facebook page:

"We have been investigating a PS4/Xbox One issue that is blocking player progress in the game. We apologize for this bug and thank you for your patience while we investigated. 

The issue occurs when a new game is started before downloading the 1.02 update. After the update, treasure chests will appear in the incorrect open/closed state. 

Without the items from these chests, progress is blocked. 

Players affected by this bug will be required to restart the game with a new save in order to properly progress. 

We investigated a number of options to address this issue and each fix requires a new game to be started. Despite our efforts to provide a fix that preserves pre-1.02 progress, this is the best solution to avoid future issues.  

Xbox One players will also be affected by this when the update (1.00x on Xbox) is delivered next week. Switch players who will receive a physical copy should download the 1.02 patch before playing."

It doesn't sound like they are going to fix it, so if your save is affected, you may have no choice but to start over. =(

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

Here is the team's official response from their Facebook page:

"We have been investigating a PS4/Xbox One issue that is blocking player progress in the game. We apologize for this bug and thank you for your patience while we investigated. 

The issue occurs when a new game is started before downloading the 1.02 update. After the update, treasure chests will appear in the incorrect open/closed state. 

Without the items from these chests, progress is blocked. 

Players affected by this bug will be required to restart the game with a new save in order to properly progress. 

We investigated a number of options to address this issue and each fix requires a new game to be started. Despite our efforts to provide a fix that preserves pre-1.02 progress, this is the best solution to avoid future issues.  

Xbox One players will also be affected by this when the update (1.00x on Xbox) is delivered next week. Switch players who will receive a physical copy should download the 1.02 patch before playing."

It doesn't sound like they are going to fix it, so if your save is affected, you may have no choice but to start over. =(

Looks like I won't update until I beat the game and get all the trophies. 

4 hours ago, Nightowljrm said:

snip

Well I hope I have your luck then as I'm still barely through the first area due to grinding the entire item list of every enemy I see and shards so maybe I'm not far enough for the glitch to affect me.

Edited by majob

Not only is there a chance to not get the silver bromide but chests that have the keys for the extra rooms can be missing as well. I'm already 90% map and realised I'm missing Warhorse and Millionaires keys. This means you're out of the All enemies, shards and possibly item if they drop something.

I'm hoping NG+ comes relatively soon.

18 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

It is not already available?

Is it? Honestly don't know what's available. I'm in last zone zone of the game so still haven't finished, damn shard farming. The only mode of those promiesed that I've come across is boss rush.

1 minute ago, Yadilie said:

Is it? Honestly don't know what's available. I'm in last zone zone of the game so still haven't finished, damn shard farming. The only mode of those promiesed that I've come across is boss rush.

Apparently its part of 1.02

13 minutes ago, Yadilie said:

Well then I'm dumb. Prob just gonna beat the game and hop over. If I have to grind all those shwrds again I'm gonna go nuts, lol.

Apparently quite a lot carries over according to gamefaqs, may be worth a google, I cant remember each thing that is carried. I remember the map even carries over, just starts with it all greyed out!

ive noticed 1 chest opened already but  couldn't remember if i had opened it yesterday or today. but pretty sure when i bought the  game and put it in it automatically updated to 1.02. on june 18th. so i should be fine. if not fuck it. other games coming out next week (judgment), so im just trying to finish story. was maybe gonna go 100% the map but if im locked on that, thats bullshit. 

either way good game!.

3 hours ago, Yadilie said:

I'm already 90% map and realised I'm missing Warhorse and Millionaires keys. This means you're out of the All enemies, shards and possibly item if they drop something.

I'm hoping NG+ comes relatively soon.

From what I understand, the update shuffled around the chests' IDs in the code, probably some array in the code. When you move one item in the array, everything else's index will also change. I assume because of that, if you got the Silver Bromide after the update, all your other chests should be good as well. If you already had the Silver Bromide, then updated, you could still be affected when it comes to the Warhorse and Millionaire's Keys. 

But what throws a wrench in that is I went back to the top-right-hand-corner of the ship, used a double jump to land on a platform, and opened the chest for the pirate's hat. That's my second pirate's hat and I don't have the Plunderer's Ring. They supposedly swapped places. I don't remember where my first pirate's hat came from, so maybe that's a sign something's swapped and the Plunderer's Ring is unavailable for me now, I don't know. I'll have to do research. I also haven't fully explored the ship, so maybe I just missed it.

(If anyone is wondering why I'm not just starting fresh, I'm really curious to see if it's all games are automatically glitched or if some with only a little progress were somehow exempt).

EDIT: I just found this video. Where I got my second pirate's hat, the location previously described in my post, was originally Plunderer's Ring's. Video: https://twitter.com/wrx7_graywer/status/1140847823740657664?s=21

So where was the original pirate's hat? If that's where I got it from, I'm screwed after all since I have two pirate's hats. I looked at this video and it looks like one of the chests for the pirate's hat was pretty in the open. https://youtu.be/_xIj0W-AQ3g?t=166

Where am I supposed to find the Plunderer's Ring in 1.02? I can check when I get home and see if I'm screwed out of the plat in this save.

Edited by Nightowljrm
New information

3 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

From what I understand, the update shuffled around the chests' IDs in the code, probably some array in the code. When you move one item in the array, everything else's index will also change. I assume because of that, if you got the Silver Bromide after the update, all your other chests should be good as well. If you already had the Silver Bromide, then updated, you could still be affected when it comes to the Warhorse and Millionaire's Keys. 

But what throws a wrench in that is I went back to the top-right-hand-corner of the ship, used a double jump to land on a platform, and opened the chest for the pirate's hat. That's my second pirate's hat and I don't have the Plunderer's Ring. They supposedly swapped places. I don't remember where my first pirate's hat came from, so maybe that's a sign something's swapped and the Plunderer's Ring is unavailable for me now, I don't know. I'll have to do research. I also haven't fully explored the ship, so maybe I just missed it.

(If anyone is wondering why I'm not just starting fresh, I'm really curious to see if it's all games are automatically glitched or if some with only a little progress were somehow exempt).

The pirate hat was originally in a chest left of the new pirate hat chest where the plunderer ring was.

In place of the old pirate hat chest is a red chest with 500g.

5 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

The pirate hat was originally in a chest left of the new pirate hat chest where the plunderer ring was.

In place of the old pirate hat chest is a red chest with 500g.

Thank you, so I may be okay, it seems like. Do you know where the Plunderer's Ring is now in 1.02 so I can see if I can get that item in my current save? I know I currently don't have it. That may be a good indicator of if my current save is locked out of the platinum.

Edited by Nightowljrm
Clarity

14 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

Thank you, so I may be okay, it seems like. Do you know where the Plunderer's Ring is now in 1.02 so I can see if I can get that item in my current save? I know I currently don't have it. That may be a good indicator of if my current save is locked out of the platinum.

I have no idea where it is now. I'd gotten to the double jump shard, then restarted because of patch

Its a risk I dont want take!

18 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

I have no idea where it is now. I'd gotten to the double jump shard, then restarted because of patch

Its a risk I dont want take!

Yeah, I feel you there. My morbid curiosity is getting the better of me. I wanna see if it's possible to be exempt.

Also, I had a thought. If an enemy can drop the pirate's hat, maybe that's where my first one came from. If it originally came from the chest on the ground, whatever ID that chest's ID swapped with is likely opened now without me seeing it. 

When I can play I'll check to see if anything I've killed in that area can drop them.

8 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

Yeah, I feel you there. My morbid curiosity is getting the better of me. I wanna see if it's possible to be exempt.

Also, I had a thought. If an enemy can drop the pirate's hat, maybe that's where my first one came from. If it originally came from the chest on the ground, whatever ID that chest's ID swapped with is likely opened now without me seeing it. 

When I can play I'll check to see if anything I've killed in that area can drop them.

Ur braver than I am!

U would have gotten the pirate hat from that chest on the left behind the boxes. You would naturally look there when climbing up and would have looted it.

Now it will be a red chest with 500g.

Btw, the patch closes all the chests you have already opened so you can loot them again. I got 2 x 8-bit coins after the chest respawned due to the patch!! 

Edited by Optinooby

17 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

You can make a pirate's hat through alchemy, it's how I got mine.