The Fastest Achievers List, Is There a Point?

AJ_Radio

there could be a point, but there isn't, because PSNP only tracks fastest completions instead of fastest plats, which defeats the whole purpose :lol:  only an idiot would pursue a "fastest completion" for a game that's likely to get DLC and thus have their record be erased & in vain :facepalm:

• Like 1

Regarding the "Fastest Achievers" lists here on PSNP, the "problem" is rather different:

It is about "platinum time". So all the times shown here are related to "fastest time" of getting platinum trophy, not for completing the game, unless "completing" = "platinum".

Example: you can spend ~5h to finish the main story mode of game X while it will take somebody else 50h, but during those 5h you will only get the trophies for main story, so mostly you will miss the platinum => you are not on the "fastest achievers" list, but you you have finished "the game" in record time.

So here you can play title Y, which can be completed in 10h counting from 1st earned trophy to platinum. BUT you can play the game for even 20h preparing it in such way, that after getting the first trophy, you will get the remaining ones in 3h and the platinum = you completed the game and you are on 1st place of "Fastest achievers" for title Y. So are you the speedruner and truly fastest Gamer for this title on Earth?
A ) on the list - yes, you have platinum in 3h, the second place is 7h behind.
B ) in the real life - no, you spent a lot of additional time to be 1st in A) :D

Difficult :P.

Edit: Ninja'd by @Trope Hore

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 1

It's fine.  It's just another way to look at it and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also who says you have to compete for the top spots to like it?  I've got a couple where I'm the slowest achiever (and one where I'm second slowest).  And I rather like that, since they were games that were rather difficult and annoying that I eventually came back to.

And all of those in between.  It's not really advisable to look over the full 100% club leaderboards of popular games (so many pages), but it is interesting to sometimes look over the leaderboards of less popular ones and see the different approaches.  Some try to speedrun the trophies, some play through normally but quickly.  Some have a break between trophies etc.

I actually like the fastest achiever list, not really because I care about it, but rather I use it as a rough way to gauge the time required for a platinum on many games. Sometimes I find the guides ETA is way off and I always check the fastest achievers column to see how it matches up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smashero said:

Yyy... I think you are mixing "First achievers" with "Fastest achievers" list...

"First achievers" - yes, reviewers and testers will be always at the top, since they can play the game before the official release, get the trophies, and sync when the list is uploaded on servers, but not necessarily "Fastest": you can always "try" the game on your alt. account and then, after discovering the optimal way, make the speedrun on your "main" account and then you have a chance to be on top of "Fastest achievers" list.

Yeah I realized a second later, but still, a tester will still be better at this sort of thing.

1 minute ago, HellcoreFire said:

I think your wife/girlfriend has been lying to you. 1f61c.png

Ha ha, but that once again makes the assumption that doing something quickly means it can't be done well ...  If you need that much time to please your partner, maybe you are doing something wrong.

For me, I enjoy attempting certain games as it gives me a sense of satisfaction when I see my hard work has paid off. I only bother to attempt certain games that I know are feasible enough, but I do consider it to be a fun challenge at times. Some games tend to be pretty easier to pull off than others since they are more obscure titles and have less players, like say Alone With You on the Vita, which I happen to be the fifth fastest achiever without those top 3 hacked times. However, I've also managed to do a few fairly popular games at some point like Tearaway Unfolded, although I've since been surpassed thanks to the influx of players when it was offered on PS+.

I also think it's pretty neat to see just how fast one can complete a certain game, especially the lengthier games out there like say Persona 5 or the Witcher 3. 

Edited by 30 Year Old Boomer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Datboy1991 said:

Hey at least the hackers who unlock everything in 10-15 seconds (not counting games like Slyde where that’s actually possible) stand out like a sore thumb and can be reported. 

I have 4 Sound Shapes plats done in seconds. Don't report me pls.

Speedrunning is pretty great. I have no interest in doing it myself, but it's sometimes fun to watch stuff like AGDQ, just to see what's possible with enough time, skill, and luck. Especially the older retro games, like Super Mario Bros. and Zelda.

I see it as a personal challenge for players to impose upon themselves, just like I do with Nuzlocke runs and XCOM Ironman. I like those kinds of things because I can take my time and plan out my moves, but I can understand why somebody else might like the pressure of racing against the clock. Mastering a game you really like is sometimes the best part of this hobby. That's why so many people like replaying games.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

Depends on the game, if its a story based game then i will explore as much as i can and watch all cutscenes and not care about doing as fast as possible. But some games you can get fast plat times by just been good at the game, like racing and fighting games. Hard to tell on a lot of games where you are on the leaderboards due to cheaters. 

Hey, Dude, I speedran Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 because it was a much easier list than the PS3 version and I had a blast. 7 in the morning, Saturday, cup of thee, some bread and up I went. It's a nice dimension to have for sure. Wish we would encourage more of it actually. Just adds another dimension to trophy lists. I know a lot of people cry about speedruns, but I love them.

• Like 1

From my own perspective i think it's a total waste of time, but on the other hand i truly respect people who speedrun extremely hard games (ex. Crypt of the NecroDancer) or extremely long games (ex. Star Ocean 4) as they require the highest amount of skill and memorization.

Edited by Exteos_Zero

I generally feel the same way about track and field races. If they all just walked, they could enjoy the moment more...all that time and practice and energy spent to do something so fast and near perfection...doesn't make sense.

Honestly, why not? Some people choose to add a form of challenge. More power to them for attaining enough skill to do something like that. It's not something that's in the cards for me, but I can appreciate perfection in whatever form it appears. When I was younger and could only afford a few games in my library, I used to make up challenges in games I'd played 100 times just to make them interesting. How fast could I beat it? What was the lowest level I could beat it? Could I max everything? 

• Like 3

Yes it has a point, for people who love the thrill of finishing the game as fast as possible(duh 10 /10 explanation) .

Jokes aside It does take some preparation and skill for the serious games. I mean if there are so many sites and lists for trophy blings why not think of the people who just gotta go fast? 

g1e6yt6v3u721.jpg

• Like 1