Metal Gear Solid 2 Mandela Effect?

Hey I first played MGS4 back in 2008. It was the first MGS game I played. I really liked Raiden and when I looked up his bio I was surprised to see he fought in the Sri Lankan Civil War since I am Sri Lankan as well. I then put him as my phone wallpaper and remember explaining to my other Sri Lankan friends about him when they wondered what my wallpaper was. When I played MGS2 in 2015 after borrowing the Xbox 360 HD collection from my friend I was pleasantly surprised/reminded when they mentioned this when Solidus explains Raiden's backstory. But I just finished MGS2 again on PS3 and there is no mention of him being a child soldier in Sri Lanka and even when I look up a 360 or PS2 playthrough of the game it is omitted. My friend clearly remembers him being from Sri Lanka as well as he played the game as well. Here is also a post from 2003 from someone named Sleeve who mentions him being a child soldier from Sri Lanka. http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/threads/33498-Metal-Gear-Solid-3-Snake-Eater

When I look up his bio now it says hes a child soldier from Liberia. I seriously don't believe in this Mandela effect stuff but this is creeping me out. Has anyone who played this game remember him being from Sri Lanka as well?

Edited by pahiran
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I always remember it being Liberia. It's probably just a translation error or something since both conflicts did happen in the '80's.

Or maybe it's the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.

The weird thing is there is no mention now of what country he was in. I think Liberia was then used in metal gear rising. But strange I cant find a version that says Sri Lanka even though i remember looking it up in 2008, mgs2 hd 360 saying it in 2015 and now its omitted. That post from 2003 also shows someone clearly understood it was Sri Lanka. And that was way before the hd collection or metal gear rising

3 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

I've always remembered it as Liberia.

But im trying to explain that even if you remember  it as Liberia they dont even mention Sri Lanka or Liberia in MGS2 at all. Just skip to the torture scene and watch from there and you'll see. If you played rising then maybe you would think Liberia because even I remember them saying it there because I felt sad that they changed it.

46 minutes ago, pahiran said:

The weird thing is there is no mention now of what country he was in. I think Liberia was then used in metal gear rising. But strange I cant find a version that says Sri Lanka even though i remember looking it up in 2008, mgs2 hd 360 saying it in 2015 and now its omitted. That post from 2003 also shows someone clearly understood it was Sri Lanka. And that was way before the hd collection or metal gear rising

I took a quick look at the cutscene where Solidus brings it up and yeah he doesn't mention Liberia by name but it is pretty obvious he's talking about it. I don't really want to skim through all the cutscenes and Codec conversations right now but I know they mention Liberia somewhere. Possibly even in a Codec conversation later on.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe they officially named it in the MGS encyclopedia thing you could download when MGS4 was out. I remember that had a timeline of events and stuff like that, so surely it's mentioned there. Otherwise yeah maybe they do namedrop it in Revengeance for the first time and our memory of it is all wacky.

36 minutes ago, Solid-Fisch said:

I played MGS2 since it's release date in Europe on march 8th in 2002 and finished the story at least 10 times since then. It was Liberia. 100% sure.

Wow thats really interesting. My friend and I are 100% sure it was Sri Lanka and were even talking about the conversation we had after I beat the game back in 2015 and he is positive as well it was Sri Lanka in MGS2. And that post from 2003 still makes me believe I am not losing my mind. But I am also going to borrow the Xbox 360 HD collection again from him and play it to see if it is any different. Maybe there is a difference between versions/regions. But so far all the playthroughs that I have seen on youtube all omit a country. It's a little surprising that no one else has yet to recall it being Sri Lanka however. But I swear I am not trying to waste your time I genuinely believe and remember it saying Sri Lanka.

Even if it's not mentioned in the game, I feel like this something that would be covered in the instruction manual for the game.

See, back in the day before games had enough capability to have fully contain in game tutorials, instruction manuals were pamphlets that came with the game that covered the controls and sometimes major parts of the game's backstory.

Edited by damon8r351

1 minute ago, damon8r351 said:

Even if it's not mentioned in the game, I feel like this something that would be covered in the instruction manual for the game.

See, back in the day before games had enough capability to have fully contain in game tutorials, instruction manuals were pamphlets that came with the game that covered the controls and sometimes major parts of the game's backstory.

Lol except I played a shall we say 'unofficial' copy on 360 that had no instruction manual whatsoever. I swear it was in the scene where Soldius explains who Jack the Ripper is. He says it through voice over and subtitle. I wouldn't just imagine a plot detail like that especially at such a crucial part of the game's story. Neither would my friend. It was our favourite moment in the game where Raiden isn't actually the weak protagonist the player was led to believe he was in the beginning.

@pahiran It seems the timelines diverged and you are now stuck in the Liberia-strand. I know for a fact I would have picked up on the game mentioning Sri Lanka considering I visited the country not long before playing MGS2 for the first.

The question is, how are you going to go back to your own timeline now?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ptirle said:

Yeah, you jumped in the alternate timeline, go back to yours impostor. You probably have mgs 1 remake in your timeline too and silent hill P. T. never got canceled there I presume? 

Hate to say it, bud, but our timeline got one as well....

1279012437-00.jpg

Edited by Golem25
  • Like 1

But for all of you who are certain it is Liberia in MGS2 can you please tell me where the game says he was a child soldier in Liberia? Like link to a video with a timestamp would be helpful. I literally beat the game yesterday and did not hear it said in a cutscene. I am asking my friend to look for his copy again and I swear I will play it again to see if has changed because I know its Sri Lanka. This is super weird and if the cutscene on his copy also omits it during the cutscene then for real I give up and believe this Mandela effect 100% no joke.

2 hours ago, pahiran said:

But for all of you who are certain it is Liberia in MGS2 can you please tell me where the game says he was a child soldier in Liberia? Like link to a video with a timestamp would be helpful. I literally beat the game yesterday and did not hear it said in a cutscene. I am asking my friend to look for his copy again and I swear I will play it again to see if has changed because I know its Sri Lanka. This is super weird and if the cutscene on his copy also omits it during the cutscene then for real I give up and believe this Mandela effect 100% no joke.

I did some more looking to the point where I looked for the whole games script and did a CTRL + F search and apparently the script did intend for Solidus to name drop Liberia but I guess the line got changed slightly to where he just says "the Civil War" and so I assume that's where the confirmation came from that it was Liberia even if they don't say it in-game. Here's the script if you want to see for yourself.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/914506-the-document-of-metal-gear-solid-2/faqs/27630

And since it's translated from something Konami released, I'm going to guess that they say "Liberian Civil War" in the Japanese subtitles and dialogue instead. The Sri Lanka thing though I don't know. I feel like that's just some kind of translation error or it being mistaken for Liberia due to how similar the conflicts were.

12 hours ago, Golem25 said:

Hate to say it, bud, but our timeline got one as well....

1279012437-00.jpg

Yeah but that was more like a reinventing and experimenting with mgs2 engine which was awful. Cutscenes were changed to be more matrix like, which was funny even then, and voices didnt change and were out of sync. Most stupid thing was the first person camera where you could defeat Ocelot in mere seconds while in original u had to work a little more. It isnt what original was, thats for sure, it was way worse. So, as majority of mgs fans thinks of twin snakes as bull, we need the actual remake like it was done with Crash and Spyro. 

Edited by Ptirle

On 21.6.2019 at 3:20 AM, pahiran said:

Wow thats really interesting. My friend and I are 100% sure it was Sri Lanka and were even talking about the conversation we had after I beat the game back in 2015 and he is positive as well it was Sri Lanka in MGS2. And that post from 2003 still makes me believe I am not losing my mind. But I am also going to borrow the Xbox 360 HD collection again from him and play it to see if it is any different. Maybe there is a difference between versions/regions. But so far all the playthroughs that I have seen on youtube all omit a country. It's a little surprising that no one else has yet to recall it being Sri Lanka however. But I swear I am not trying to waste your time I genuinely believe and remember it saying Sri Lanka.

I don't know if there is a difference in any other region, as only played the European version. But for this, again, I'm 100% sure. You may wanna ask the super nerds at metalgearinformer.com. They have a comment section under every article - just ask your question there, you will get answers. But I would higly wonder if they give you any other feedback than I did.