Where are the Genuine PS3 controllers?

willmill97

I’ve bought two PS3’s from CeX and both times the console came with 2 genuine controllers that were both in great condition. Obviously pre owned, but at least they were real. Made a nice change from my original DS3’s which analogues could jam in every direction due to wear and tear. This in what locations they are in according to the about me section on the website: CeX was founded in London in 1992. We have stores in the UK, Spain, Ireland, India, Australia, Portugal, Netherlands, Mexico, Poland and Canarias. Might be worth checking out if you’re in any of these areas, DS3’s go for €35 on the store over here in Ireland.

• Like 1

I found some used genuine PS3  controllers in good condition (just needed to clean them a bit) on open street markets where business people and private persons sell all kinds of used and new wares (The German word for those markets is "Flohmarkt".. I don't know the English word for this :( ).

But all controllers I found on Ebay where faked controllers from China. 4 of 3 where okay, only one had problems with the left stick.

But what all share is:

1) That they disconnect after not using them for 30 sec to 1 min. They just give a shit on the standby settings from the PS3.

2) They never quit to charge, even when they are fully recharged. So you just unplug them when they are full. Charge times are the same like from the genuine controllers.

3) When they are almost out of power you see the power warning on your screen 4 or 5 times in quick succession. Then after 10 minutes at best they stop working until they are recharged.

4) You can't use them while they charge. They don't connect to the console while charging.

Edited by Geridian

I had to take apart my 1st party controller because my PS4 controllers D-Pad was torn (inside bit) and ftr the PS3 D-Pad into the PS4 controller. My idea actually worked but my PS3 controller didn't have a functional D-Pad. It wasn't a big deal at the time because most PS3 games I owned worked with a PS4 controller but a few had issues or didn't work at all.  

I waited two years to get a new controller because all I was able to find at a reasonable price were used 1st party controllers (used controllers are gross) and cheap knock offs with horror story reviews. I settled for two knock offs I found on Amazon with mixed reviews because they were only $15; I bought two hoping least one would function and I could use they're parts to fix my 1st party controllers D-Pad if it came down to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H17B537/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The controllers I got were pretty good all things considered. All the buttons and analog sticks work good enough for me. There is a rumble feature and the motion controls are good enough to beat Metal Gear Solid 4 eight times. The only thing it's missing are the pressure sensitive  :cross::circle::square::triangle: buttons; most games don't use them at all so it isn't a big deal: I got the Metal Gear Solid 2 platinum with these controllers: I had to use my 1st party controller for MGS1 Snake Hold Ups VR Missions because they're impossible without pressure sensitive buttons. I'm also very clumsy and frequently controllers, I haven't managed to break these yet. 

The controllers have a few issues. The battery life is 6-8 hours (rough estimate)  and the PS3 console doesn't display the battery life correctly; when the battery is low the console will keep displaying the low battery notification for a solid minute and the controller dies 15 minutes after it does that. The controller doesn't tell you when it's done charging; I just let it charge indefinitely and swap it when the other one is dead. The controller shuts off if you don't use it in three minutes; I have had a few too many awkward moments were Bayonetta and Joel didn't do anything after a long cutscene. Rarely they take a long time to connect when you turn them on. They also like to default to the second controller slot when you first turn them on. On very rare occasions the controller will be perfectly fine then just not register any of your button inputs; that hasn't happened to me in months but it was extremely annoying.

These controllers are shady as big tree. They came packaged in nice white plastic bags with only some bubble wrap and the charging cable. Some of the reviews I read make me wonder if I bought the same controller. I actually got functional controllers that felt very close to the quality of a genuine PS3 controller. If you decide to buy this and end up getting sent broken glass, I wouldn't be shocked. I was probably lucky and got the good controllers.

I suggest only buying these is you don't have very high standards and/or you want something for cheap. I honestly invest in the Chronus Max Plus USB stick if I wasn't so cheap because I think the genuine PS3 controllers are lackluster compared to most modern controllers. 

3 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Just because it says so doesn't mean it's genuine. This is another scam

That is a legit controller, they cost about that much now for an OEM one. That's around the price I've sold some for in the past. If you're going to claim scam, please bring evidence that the packaging is fake, because that one is real

4 hours ago, willmill97 said:

Man I’m just trying to get an official PS3 controller but all of them, even the ones that seem to be official Sony ones are just replicas that have very poor analog sticks.

Has anyone else noticed this?

and where can you get ones that are actually proper?

I struggled to find an official one here in the UK, but I gave in in the end & bought a "replica" one, and honestly I'm very impressed with it, I'd even argue that it's better than the official one.
Currently says the one I bought in particular is unavailable but keep a check, may be back in stock soon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075CY3JJ9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

That is a legit controller, they cost about that much now for an OEM one. That's around the price I've sold some for in the past. If you're going to claim scam, please bring evidence that the packaging is fake, because that one is real

I just took a quick look at the reviews, and it most likely is a scam, many people reporting buttons not working after a week, one guy outright saying it's not genuine, all the red flags are there. I bought a "Genuine" controller with tons of positive reviews last year from ebay and after a week the right stick stopped working and the d-pad wouldn't work properly. I opened it up and saw it had a cheap knock off chinese plastic battery inside. "Packaged" controllers in general and especially from random people are extremely suspicious, ask yourself who has lots of genuine packaged ps3 controllers just sitting there? Doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

My way to deal with the counterfeit controllers was the sticker on the back.

Those chinese companies don't care to make a Cristal copy of that sticker in the fake ones.

I always went with the seller that included pictures of front and back.

I bought the ones taken from consoles.

And they always included the usb cable, there was a time I had more cables than controllers lol.

But that was about 3 years ago, now the original ones are very rare, especially because the seller just include stock pictures, the typical picture of the box.

I really hope PS5 to compatible with ps3 :/

Careful if you do find a supposed "brand new official Sony Sixaxis" still sealed. I bought one I think off Amazon iirc and it was already a mess. Shitty analog sticks and the motion sensing didn't work at all. I ended up buying a third party (no idea what brand - it was off eBay and no labels) so I could continue a game that required motion detection and I find it works so much better and the sticks still feel brand new after almost a year of playing. It's black with blue sticks and if you see it on eBay - buy it. It's the best I can recommend. 

2 hours ago, GoldenShaka said:

My way to deal with the counterfeit controllers was the sticker on the back.

Those chinese companies don't care to make a Cristal copy of that sticker in the fake ones.

I always went with the seller that included pictures of front and back.

I bought the ones taken from consoles.

And they always included the usb cable, there was a time I had more cables than controllers lol.

But that was about 3 years ago, now the original ones are very rare, especially because the seller just include stock pictures, the typical picture of the box.

I really hope PS5 to compatible with ps3 :/

Unforutnately rear sticker isn't the best indication anymore, I've already seen knock-offs with genuine-looking stickers. So sticker is just one thing you should look at in the first place, if it's legit then you also need to look thoroughly at all the prints on the controller (Dualshock 3/Sixaxis/Sony). If they are all aligned perfectly, then you can be 99% sure it's genuine (unless the controller was previously broken and the seller repaired it inside with counterfeit parts, but that's something you can't avoid...). And by perfectly I mean like not even 1 mm differences.

Oh, and EU controllers sold separetely never had a usb cable inside. 1.5 year ago I imported brand new one, newest revision from japanese Amazon and it also didn't come with cable.

Edited by alien713

@willmill97 I had the same problem as you man, I needed to buy 2 new ones recently and Amazon seem to have ones that look real but aren't branded Sony (I think these are the ones you mean, they are garbage) I'd say your best bet is CEX, they are 20 a pop for DS3 which bites but the 2 year guarantee you get with them is handy as. Especially as even real ones have dying batteries, loose buttons and all manner of other problems or pending problems, so being able to return with any problem for 2 years means even if you started white knight chronicles solo now the controller will live to see the journey with you lol :P good luck mate, if you need any help or info gimmie a shout.