Where are the Genuine PS3 controllers?

willmill97

5 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

That is a legit controller, they cost about that much now for an OEM one. That's around the price I've sold some for in the past. If you're going to claim scam, please bring evidence that the packaging is fake, because that one is real

Everybody can read that genuine looking package (if the package is not the same as the genuine controllers package you where able to buy before in your country the controllers are scam!) and genuine looking stickers are no guarantee that you get a genuine controller. I also bought a genuine looking controller in genuine looking package (99% the same as the package you posted) and it had a genuine looking sticker on the rear (with Sony branding and stuff), also the other printings looked genuine on the controller.. but still it had the same issues as the other scam controllers I bought.

It is 99% secure to say that all controllers from Asian origin are not genuine and these Asian companies are perfect at making 99% genuine looking scam articles and distributing them worldwide through websites.

Alien713 is also correct: In EU/Germany new genuine Sony controllers never came with USB cables bundled. Same is true for PS4 controllers. But even the Chinese scam controllers have no cable included.

Edited by Geridian

3 hours ago, alien713 said:

Oh, and EU controllers sold separetely never had a usb cable inside. 1.5 year ago I imported brand new one, newest revision from japanese Amazon and it also didn't come with cable.

Well, as I said, I was talking about controllers taken from a new console.

I bought two of them with no problem.

Any controlller with its original packaging and all Genuine stuff printed is still a risk.

You will find fake ones everywhere, amazon, Newegg, everywhere :/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alternatewarning said:

*snap*

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-02-how-to-use-a-dualshock-4-wirelessly-with-a-ps3

(Yes, the DS4 can work wirelesly with PS3, wo says it doesn´t has never tested it himself. I did and know that it works.)

.. And other links which are avaiable through google and stuff :D

Workaround for Home//PS Button from DS4 not working with PS3:

Activate "Control for HDMI" in the System settings of your PS3 >> Check that Bravia Sync (Sony TV), Viera Link (Panasonic TV) or another option which has something to do with "HDMI device linking" is activated ==> This way you can control whole PS3 XMB with your TVs remote control (Works also with Samsung TVs. Should also work with other TVs). This way the TV remote´s home button acts as the PS button from the DS3 pad.

Edited by Geridian
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Alternatewarning said:

Would it just be easier to buy and use a Dualshock 4?  Is that possible?

The DS4 doesn't work for all PS3 games and the PS button won't work. You also have to register it as a generic Bluetooth device, so rumble and Sixaxis won't work either.

I may try picking up one of the PowerA controllers at some point and report back. Having a working home button is significant enough that I might prefer that over a DS4.

So to answer your question, yes it's possible, but depending on your preferences not necessarily easier.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf

Sony doesn't manufacture DS3's anymore...that stopped when they stopped producing PS3's altogether, it's why they're so hard to find. So if you're going to find an OEM controller...it's probably going to be used and If you're anything like me, you probably don't want used electronics.

Never...I repeat...NEVER buy from eBay or Amazon. They're counterfeit controllers. Hong Kong takes casings of OEM controllers and puts in a bunch of wonky hardware that's usually made by hand from other parts. This is why the controller looks genuine, but doesn't work or feel right. They also get past Copyright Infringement by utilizing minute details such as words on the back sticker being spaced out or one letter being misspelled. The packaging itself can actually be official packaging, which is why you won't know until the controller is in your hands. Hong Kong's counterfeit market makes them an insane amount of money. 

Also beware that HK is also counterfeiting PS4 controllers now as well. 

There's really nothing you can do at this point unless you go used. If your controllers still work fine, you can find OEM batteries online and just replace those. I did that with my two DS3's...they don't look new anymore, but the batteries last forever and stay charged. 2 Batteries only cost me like $12. 

Now, I have heard of people calling up Sony and asking if they could send them official controllers...but they apparently charge out the ass for them as you're paying a premium for convenience Personally I don't want to pay that price, so I just went with batteries...but it's worth a shot  Now, more than ever, you have to take care of those DS3's the best you can. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

If you buy a second hand PS3 you will get a genuine controller with it. You may not want to do that because it’s more expensive but I bought one for solo boosting mp trophies. Cost about €100 in GameStop. I previously bought them fake ones and they are stiff and hard to use. Not worth any money for them!

The PS3 was so expensive to produce they ran out of money sell 1st party controllers separately! :o

Nah but in all seriousness though just use ebay my good man. Be really picky about looking at the pics, make sure the Sony logo is on the front above the home button and that sort of thing.

Aint "Genuine PS3 controllers" but anyone tried this controller?

Kingear

Suppose to work with ps3 ps4 and pc.

Edited by NERVergoproxy

6 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Aint "Genuine PS3 controllers" but anyone tried this controller?

Kingear

Suppose to work with ps3 ps4 and pc.

7 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

I too would like to know about the Kingear, does that work in sync properly?

I haven't tried it, but just be aware that deep in the description it says that for the PS3 it must be connected via a USB cable.

5 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I haven't tried it, but just be aware that deep in the description it says that for the PS3 it must be connected via a USB cable.

Yes I saw it said that which I am fine with, providing I know it won’t have lag on the buttons and analog sticks

I haven't used a DS3 since I learned I can use DS4 wirelessly on PS3.

DS4s are so much more comfortable. Not having Sixaxis or rumble doesn't matter to me. To open the XMB I just keep a DS3 around, although most of time I only open it just to turn off the console.

I do have 4 DS3 from back in the day, but if I was in your situation I would just use the fake controller just for XMB and forget about it.

6 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Unless you dislike the DS4 like me, you may as well get a converter and use a Switch Pro or XB1 elite controller. Or simply go to GS and buy a ds3.

Yea like I had said in the post before yours I only said PS4 controller because I know the xmb works with it and the converter I use.

Best advice is to stock up on the third party PDP's Afterglow controllers. They are battery powered, yes, but with rechargeable AA batteries, it won't be too much of a problem.  I have used several of them and they last quite awhile, more than a year perhaps.  I no longer buy "genuine" or "official" PS3 controllers from any online vendor on Amazon or eBay because their products are always either a poor refurb or a cheap counterfeit knockoff *internally*.

• 2 weeks later...

local swap sites,.gametraders or something similar and facebook market place, people who usually sell the older models almost always have at least one original. Try find people who hardly used there consoles for increased odds in finding something of better condition.

Edited by CHOPPEREMON

So I ended up getting one of these PowerA wireless controllers at my local Wal-Mart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerA-Wireless-Controller-for-Playstation-3-1427441-01/191284406

So far it works perfectly fine. It's not an original first party controller of course, but it is licensed by Sony, which made me feel a bit better about it. I paid $20 for it in-store. If you need a replacement or backup controller, this is a good option for $20. You're not tethered to your PS3 and it doesn't require any expensive adapters or tedious workarounds.

Some notes for consideration:

- I can't tell if these are still in production or not. The only way to find one online seems to be through third-party sellers, although Wal-Mart's website will tell you if in-store pickup is an option. PowerA doesn't seem to reference this particular controller on their website.

- $20 in-store at Wal-Mart was the cheapest I found it by far. Sellers online charge at least $30, and it costs $35 in-store at Target.

- The description says it takes 2 AAA batteries, but it really takes 3. Use some quality rechargeable batteries and you'll be set for a long time.

- It comes with a radio frequency USB receiver to achieve wireless connection, which will occupy one of your USB ports. No lag or connection issues for me.

- I think it feels a little better in my hands than the original DS 3. The shoulder/trigger buttons are definitely an improvement and I like the offset analog sticks. The dpad seems just ok, although I haven't really had to use it yet.

- No sixaxis support, but I've never used sixaxis on any PS3 game, so not an issue for me. Rumble works.

If you can find one for $20, I think it's worth it. Certainly a safer bet than other non-licensed third-party controllers or eBay knockoffs.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Added confirmation of no Sixaxis support

• 4 weeks later...
On 27.06.2019 at 10:27 PM, GonzoArmstrong said:

better off buying a converter and using your ps4 controller with your ps3 tbh. 

Metal Gear Solid games use analog functional buttons (CrossSquare etc.) so no converter can emulate that, no other controller has this feature and so you can't perform actions assigned to light press on these.

No, not the triggers. On the PS2, the face buttons (X, Triangle, Circle, Square) are pressure sensitive and this is used in Metal Gear games for important features. For example, holding one button down halfway raises your weapon for aiming or hostage-taking, and pressing it down the rest of the way fires it. But Xbox, PS4, PC gamepads, etc don't implement this, they have face buttons that are just on/off, which means certain actions can't be performed.

The game is unplayable without pressure sensitivity unless you want to play this like call of duty.

Edit: For the exact same reason MGS HD Collection recently released on PS Now seems to be broken:

and now you can't lower guns without shooting or peek in lockets without alerting guards because dualshock 4 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons like the ds3. Great

Edited by alien713