Dreakon13

Halfway through... what are your favorite 2019 releases so far?

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm looking back on the games I've played this year and I can't help but feel like 2019 has been underwhelming so far.  Granted I have done poorly with my New Years resolution to focus more on gaming so I've only started and finished the campaign/story of 5 games (3 of those 5 being 10 hours or less)... but still.  I'm kind of interested if others feel the same way and, more in line with the topic, what your favorites are so far?

Any platform.  Ideally brand new releases but feel free to include ports/remasters/re-releases if those happen to be among your favorites this year... as long as they definitely came out in 2019.

Personally, Days Gone is probably at the top of my list.  Which is a little disappointing since I really enjoyed it, but IMO isn't necessarily GOTY material or blew me away.

EDIT: Honorable mention to Resident Evil 2 and Sekiro, both games I played and enjoyed but didn't finish for one reason or another (didn't feel like playing through part B of RE2 since it felt like it was rehashing a lot of the same content, and Sekiro was cool but too difficult for me).

Edited by Dreakon13

Resi 2 and Borderlands 1/3

This year so far for me:

Resident Evil 2

Days Gone

Rage 2

Far Cry: New Dawn

Metro:Exodus

Division 2

I'm sure i'll be adding Borderlands 3 to this list though :)

None so far this year. 😢  A bit disappointing so far.

Posted (edited)

only Bloodstained so far unless you want to count remasters, then the Trials of Cold Steel 1 and 2 as well.

Though Darksiders Genesis, Akiba's Trip, Final Fantasy VIII Remaster, Destroy All Humans and Trials of Cold Steel 3 could be good too but they are not out til the end of the year.

I have not played Days Gone or Seikro yet

the biggest disappointment so far was Resident Evil 2 Re-Imagined.

Edited by Void

1 hour ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Metro:Exodus

Really? D:

I have Super Neptunia RPG pre-ordered but I haven't bought or played a game released in 2019 yet.

Sekiro and Days Gone are my favorite games of 2019 so far :)

I imagine MHW Iceborne and Resident Evil 2 Remake will be great as well when I have the chance to play them :D

Kingdom Hearts 3

Team Sonic Racing

Days Gone is my favorite so far. I also enjoyed quite a bit of The Grand Tour Game and Trials Rising. I did get Resident Evil 2 at launch day and played it a bit, but stuff happened and I haven't finished it yet. I really should play it because I know I'm gonna love it.

Days Gone

Devil May Cry 5

Onimusha (Re-release)

Persona Q2

Resident Evil 2

VA-11 HALL-A (Re-release)

And I don't have it yet, but Judgement is gonna make it too (Ryu ga Gotoku bias <3)

None. 

None of the games this year have given me any reason to go out and buy them. 

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice looks to be the most interesting thus far but I have heard from a lot of people that it is not nearly as good as Bloodborne or Dark Souls. Two games that will still be deemed masterpieces a decade from now. 

Days Gone is more typical open world fare. These AAA companies need to stop releasing open world crap and focus more on either the gameplay aspect or the story. 

The Order: 1886 and Until Dawn I felt were done just right, being entirely linear.

The Ratchet and Clank reboot was decent, one of the few Sony exclusives that was cartoonish and didn’t take itself too seriously. Which are in short supply.

Not everything has to follow a Game of Thrones style of writing and cast of characters. 

That leaves the Resident Evil 2 reboot. But since I still have the first game to play, it won’t be for a long time that I’ll get around to playing the sequel.

Days Gone for sure, it was a little slow at first but about 6 hours in I started to genuinely love the game.

I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts III, pumped for the DLC so I can get the Oathkeeper keyblade, I'm probably more tolerant of it than most people are since I'm just a recent KH fan, but I still like KH1 more. Even I as a kinda outsider understood that KH3 was supposed to be this big fan cock-jerker with everyone joining together for the finale of an era and with KH3 true ending and Xehanort's saga ended, I really think KH fans have a lot to look forward too, not only with KH3 DLC but with future plots, characters with anime hairstyles, villains and Disney worlds to explore in whatever oddity comes from Nomura's mind for future games in the series.

Also Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is a masterpiece, I greatly enjoyed every last bit of it even the "dull" parts. Up there in my list of favourite games ever. 

As for what's to come... not looking forward to a lot. Perhaps only the MediEvil remaster? Ubisoft should've chilled with the fucking Tom Clancy filled E3 show they had and remastered or did a remake of Rayman 2 for this gen and perhaps next gen. My boy Rayman gets no respect these days. I guess Gods & Monsters looks great but that's it.

If only I had a Switch, because Link's Awakening looks like the stuff from my dreams, I still can't believe it's happening, a remake of my favourite Zelda with a cartoony art-style instead of the overdone seriousness of modern 3D Zeldas? Yes please. And Mario Maker 2 looks quite nice too with the new options for level customisation.

Well, we can always hope than 2020 is a better year in terms of releases because yeah, this year was quite meh.

Resident Evil 2. High hope on Bloodstained though, haven't touched it yet, unfortunately.

So far for me I have to go with Super Mario Maker 2.

The extent of mechanics and things you can do is just mind-boggling. Have only played it for 3 days now and it’s already the most fun I’ve had with a video game in 2019, I can see myself still playing it for a longer time.

Second pick I’d say it’s Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

I’m mid-way through the game and haven’t finished it yet, but the feel of the controls from movement to combat is already great in itself. I’m aiming to finish this one before I tackle anything else from this scale.

Also tried out Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled and Devil May Cry 5 but haven’t dived deeper into those to say anything more.

Super Mario Maker 2
Tales of Vesperia
Judgment
Kingdom Hearts III
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 5

and by the end of the year I'm sure these games will be added
Crystar, Control, Astral Chain, Borderlands 3, and Daemon x Machina

Out of Resident Evil 2, Days Gone and A Plague Tale: Innocence, I would say Days Gone so far and I had a blast with all 3 of these. A very underrated game that I thought did exceptionally well all-around. I just pre-ordered Wolfenstein: Youngblood and will most likely pre-order Death Stranding soon, so I'll see if my opinion changes then.

Resident Evil 2 & Devil May Cry 5.

I wasn't aware of it but it seems like I've only played one single game that released in 2019 -- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

But what a game it was... Loved every second of it, even though it took me some time to get used to the combat system. 

I will have to go with Devil May Cry 5. It's my favourite game of 2019 , I daresay it got me hyped up even more than God of War that appeared in 2018. Maybe the best action game ever made?

Idk, it was pure perfection for me. That 10 years wait was worth it xD 

Sadly I can't include Sekiro here. After finishing all the soulsborne games I kind of felt dissapointed how easy and ... optionless the newest game felt. A decent game,just not great imo. Definetly having hopes for elden ring though.

Maaaybe Samurai Shodown will join the roster of favourite 2019 games, if they decide to add more chars and update the game a little more. Definetly enjoyed it more than MK11 that's for sure.

All in all ,if it wasn't for DMC5 it would have been a very dissapointing year for me in terms of games.