Disappointing Gameplay

I’ve been following videos of this game since it was announced; tests, news and reviews. Everybody’s talking about how gorgeous and faithful the game is, but I’m really disappointed with the game. I never had trouble with the mechanics of the game in the original, but this one seems like the Karts are heavier to control overall. In the original, I could play with any character, beat every track and cup on Super Hard Mode, never missing a 3 maximum boost without going of track or crashing against a wall.

Here, however, the game looks amazing (not saying that devs were “creative” like I’ve seen people commenting), but it lacks on gameplay. Simple tricks that made the game more accessible to play in the original like an Hard Brake midair (while jumping, press the Square+DPad) and make some kind of arc to easier turn on 90 and 180 degrees. Or even jumping of ramps seems random: sometimes it goes forward (like it should be) but most times it goes up above, wasting time floating til it lands. I found other glitches and bugs (like Sewer Speedway) that ruins most of my runs - can even think how it will be in Time Trials.

I don’t mind the difficulty of it, but I honestly think that this gameplay make things more frustrating then it should - considering the devs “were trying to deliver the best experience, like the original”.

8 minutes ago, Fr_0zt said:

Maybe they can fix that with patches?

They can do that, yes. But will they?

The major problem pointed is the difficulty spike, I haven’t seen anyone talking about the gameplay chances. They might easily nerf the difficulty and ignore the fact that the gameplay is not (that) close to the original.

Around March/April, the devs had the game completed and spend the rest of the time fixing some minor issues (like the warp icon), creating more tracks and more models to their levels. So I assume that they thought that the “hardest part” was done and moved on. “Hardest part” cause Nitro Kart tried to repeat the same system, created from the ground up, and they failed.

Edited by TurtlePM

Well from what I know a friend told me that this game suffers a lot from rubber banding on normal and harder modes so I take it as in they made like that as yeah no one would care but yeah. I mean they didn't really fix the problems in the insane games left crash 1 with still crap hitboxes and crap time trails too. only the 3rd is the only one as the power ups is hard to mess up but yeah.

1 hour ago, TurtlePM said:

I’ve been following videos of this game since it was announced; tests, news and reviews. Everybody’s talking about how gorgeous and faithful the game is, but I’m really disappointed with the game. I never had trouble with the mechanics of the game in the original, but this one seems like the Karts are heavier to control overall. In the original, I could play with any character, beat every track and cup on Super Hard Mode, never missing a 3 maximum boost without going of track or crashing against a wall.

Here, however, the game looks amazing (not saying that devs were “creative” like I’ve seen people commenting), but it lacks on gameplay. Simple tricks that made the game more accessible to play in the original like an Hard Brake midair (while jumping, press the Square+DPad) and make some kind of arc to easier turn on 90 and 180 degrees. Or even jumping of ramps seems random: sometimes it goes forward (like it should be) but most times it goes up above, wasting time floating til it lands. I found other glitches and bugs (like Sewer Speedway) that ruins most of my runs - can even think how it will be in Time Trials.

I don’t mind the difficulty of it, but I honestly think that this gameplay make things more frustrating then it should - considering the devs “were trying to deliver the best experience, like the original”.

Super Hard Mode? As far as I remember, there's easy, normal and hard. I don't think you really remember how difficult the game actually was tbh.

What I however almost expected from the game was that it wouldn't be faithful to how well the original controlled. There's just no other kart game like it. ND didn't replicate that, at all, with their Jak X, and if you played Mario Kart 64 back in the day which CTR more than likely is inspired from, you'd feel the exact same thing. Everything felt slower, even if it maybe actually went faster and you felt like you had far less control. Throughout time people have said it might be due to the graphics and the frame rate etc. The original CTR just nailed the movement feeling so well, making you feel more in control than a pretty much alike other game. I don't play that many racing games, so I honestly can't tell, and I haven't played this remaster either yet. I will get it though. I've put hundreds of hours into the original. I've beat Oxide on all tracks multiple times.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TurtlePM said:

1 hour ago, Erkawest said:

I had the same feel initially but it changed after I put a couple of hours into the game

What Erkawest said. In the beginning I started on hard really confident since I've been playing the original for quite a while now but when I started playing I noticed of the timing of jump to drift were off by a few miliseconds and it was "heavy" as you mention; I was getting crushed left and right by the AI. After a couple of hours I started getting the feel for the game a change my muscle memory a bit and everything starting falling into place.

The hard brake mechanic, despite really useful, I think it was an unintentional bug that benefited the players, if it was it would explain it's removal.

I agree with the randomness of the jumps abd how levels with slopes the karts get a little weird and get stuck on the walls, those should indeed be fixed, but it's something so minor it doesn't break the game in any way.

Overall I'm loving the game, completed to 101% and already beaten hard mode. I'm enjoying online at the moment.

Edited by bpmotard

It's slightly different from the original, but overall nearly identical. We are talking about a PS1 game with tight controls being remade from the ground up, so there are bound to be some differences. In an hour I was used to it. I hope it gets a lot of support in the future and hopefully, Crash Bash is next.

• Like 1

@LaWiToR I’m not talking about the trophies of the game. I’m aware that I need to adapt to this new gameplay and I’ll get the platinum eventually. My point is: I was expecting a game that “replaces” the original; I own all 3 Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games on PS1, but with those remakes, I don’t feel the need to insert them on my PS3 anymore. I was expecting that from my #1 favorite videogame: CTR. I can easily adapt to this new mechanic to get the platinum, but I was hyped for the game expecting something “equal” to the original that I could spend more time playing online later, for years.

About the hard turn. AKU AKU explains it in the original how to perform it. That’s why it’s not a bug @bpmotard, it was intentional. The Karts in the original weren’t as heavy as the remake, that’s why you could jump easier, hard turn and steer/aim while drifting more accessible. Cortex Castle was easier with the hard turn since 90% of the turns on the track were 90 degrees.

@MMDE there was a cheat code that you could insert to play Super Hard Mode (similar to Hard mode on this remake), making adventure mode and cups more challenging. I also spent these latest months playing daily the original on PS3 teaching my best friend some technics and shortcuts. I’m absolutely sure about how the game works :)

@sepheroithisgod that’s where I’m disagreeing: CTR was made by naughty dog, they made specific mechanics to make the game unique. Vicarious Visions developed CNK years later and the boosting mechanics is not the same, even after trying, because they haven’t access to the source material - like Beenox this time. Just because we have better technology this days, doesn’t mean we have better/similar with less effort. Latest Terminator movies (after the Second) are a great example to this :D 

Edited by TurtlePM

@TurtlePM I know what you’re talking about. Played the OG CTR before this came out and the Karts do feel heavy. They were much lighter in the original game. But like others have said, after a couple of hours, I got a feel for the karts. Just wished they would’ve left the original mechanic in this new version. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkAnimaa said:

I don’t see anything wrong with the controls, didn’t play the original that much, but the remaster is good and fun to play atm.

Are u joking about the controls. The default to accelerate is the x button. I know its a remake but we arnt still living in the 90s

25 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Are u joking about the controls. The default to accelerate is the x button. I know its a remake but we arnt still living in the 90s

You can always change it to R2, although it would be difficult to use the boosters while drifting that way.

I honestly don’t see anything wrong with X being the accelerate button at all, doesn’t prevent you from enjoying the game :/

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

@MMDE there was a cheat code that you could insert to play Super Hard Mode (similar to Hard mode on this remake), making adventure mode and cups more challenging. I also spent these latest months playing daily the original on PS3 teaching my best friend some technics and shortcuts. I’m absolutely sure about how the game works :)

Yeah, I googled it now, if it was a cheat code, I probably did it. I just can't remember it. Alright, but I think the graphics could potentially have something to do with it. To original just have a special feel, and I think it has to do with the graphics. xD

1 hour ago, DarkAnimaa said:

I don’t see anything wrong with the controls, didn’t play the original that much, but the remaster is good and fun to play atm.

We aren't talking about the button layout, we're talking about how fluid the control of the kart is. It's either about the physics engine and it being difficult to replicate or it's just the feel of it due to the graphics.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DarkAnimaa said:

You can always change it to R2, although it would be difficult to use the boosters while drifting that way.

I honestly don’t see anything wrong with X being the accelerate button at all, doesn’t prevent you from enjoying the game :/

X button feels too wierd nowadays. Im getting used to accelerate with r2 and l1 to drift and taping x. Gonna be tricky but practice makes perfect

Up to now i dont see what the massive fuss is all about. I prefered team sonic racing in all honesty but im fairly early in the game. Ctr just seems to be for the pro arcade racer and not for casual gamers because its so hard to just pick up and play

6 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

X button feels too wierd nowadays. Im getting used to accelerate with r2 and l1 to drift and taping x. Gonna be tricky but practice makes perfect

Up to now i dont see what the massive fuss is all about. I prefered team sonic racing in all honesty but im fairly early in the game. Ctr just seems to be for the pro arcade racer and not for casual gamers because its so hard to just pick up and play

That's just weird. The change to R2 for racing games was likely more to do with the sensitivity range of the button. And in the case of shooter games, it just harms the button IMO.

Edited by MMDE

8 minutes ago, MMDE said:

That's just weird. The change to R2 for racing games was likely more to do with the sensitivity range of the button. And in the case of shooter games, it just harms the button IMO.

U should of seen my x button after gran turismo a spec. It was basacly not a button any more. But i agree r2 on ps4 controls arnt brilliant and will wear over time but r2 to accelerate just seems more comfortable

9 hours ago, DarkAnimaa said:

It did for me. As someone who has played many racing games. The alternate controls worked so much better for me. I can't imagine controlling a vehicle with the gas as x. It just felt more comfortable for me. 

8 hours ago, dannyswfc9 said:

I can see many children bringing this game back due to its controls and difficulty. It's not a Mario Kart game at all. It's more of a veteran game for old timers like us. And I'm fine with that but Hard mode is just to the point where I'm doing perfect nitro boosts and cutting corners and still placing in 3rd no matter what. The rubber banding is too OP in this game. 

1 hour ago, JamesModel said:

It did for me. As someone who has played many racing games. The alternate controls worked so much better for me. I can't imagine controlling a vehicle with the gas as x. It just felt more comfortable for me. 

I can see many children bringing this game back due to its controls and difficulty. It's not a Mario Kart game at all. It's more of a veteran game for old timers like us. And I'm fine with that but Hard mode is just to the point where I'm doing perfect nitro boosts and cutting corners and still placing in 3rd no matter what. The rubber banding is too OP in this game. 

Agree. This game is stupidly hard. Id say im much better than average especially at racing games and i cant get no where near close enough to n trophy in time trials never mind oxide

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Agree. This game is stupidly hard. Id say im much better than average especially at racing games and i cant get no where near close enough to n trophy in time trials never mind oxide

Practice makes master. In fact, the normal AI on hard can be pretty unforgiving while doing the cups. Once you play enough, you'll have a half round lead, maybe even catching up with last place, on long tracks. I don't think anyone claimed CTR Time Trial was easy though, but it's honestly the most fun in the game IMO. Some of the adventure stuff can be pretty fun too.