Disappointing Gameplay

21 hours ago, MMDE said:

I'm sure it's more pleasant to play when you're better able to compensate for the bad controls. Doesn't make the controls better by playing the game more, just you being able to better compensate for them being bad.

The Jak series almost killed Naughty Dog. The fact that some of them still wanted to make more games, tragic. The general public simply didn't buy them as much as their previous games. CB1-3 and CTR sold a lot. Even Jak 1 sold a good amount, but Jak 2 sold less, and Jak 3 even less. Jak X, had bad sales for ND. They seem to struggle back to relevancy with UC1, people not giving UC1 the attention it probably deserved, but people seemed to like it so when UC2 came out, it was a huge success. It's a bit like Demon's Souls before Dark Souls. Demon's Souls was a sleeper hit, while with Dark Souls it took totally off. And this is because nobody is giving the company's next release a lot of attention when their previous games haven't been big hits. The Jak series really damaged their rep.

Crash Tag Team Racing had waaay worse controls, nitro was even worse.

Later releases of Jak X didn't ruin memory cards, but initial release did.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/927166-jak-x-combat-racing/41999721

https://awesomegames.miraheze.org/wiki/Jak_X:_Combat_Racing

You'll find info on it many other places too. It's not something I've invented.

I don't know what issues you have with the item system. And the ultra boost should only be available in some very few locations, and wasn't available in all versions of the game.

The Jak series didn’t damage their rep by any means, that’s absurd.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

The Jak series didn’t damage their rep by any means, that’s absurd.

Their rep in the media? No. Among gamers as someone to look out for when buying games. Definitely. Jak 2, 3 and x combined sold as much as the worst selling mainline Cb game by ND. It affected Uc1 sales too. Just facts. It was insane some of them wanted to continue making those games. Jak 2 was like ND wanted to make more Jak games, but they also saw the success of gta3 and wanted to do something similar. However they halfway did each part. Don't be like Ashley and deny facts.

39 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Their rep in the media? No. Among gamers as someone to look out for when buying games. Definitely. Jak 2, 3 and x combined sold as much as the worst selling mainline Cb game by ND. It affected Uc1 sales too. Just facts. It was insane some of them wanted to continue making those games. Jak 2 was like ND wanted to make more Jak games, but they also saw the success of gta3 and wanted to do something similar. However they halfway did each part. Don't be like Ashley and deny facts.

One fact you guys are missing is that ND actually wanted to make a Jak 4. It can been seen in their Artbook. Meanwhile they decided to change the IP to Uncharted.

Naughty Dog is my favorite company, but I gotta admit that Jak was ok (2 onwards) compared to Ratchet and Clank. Plus, the first Uncharted is not that good either, but the second installment is one of the best adventure games I’ve ever played. Well paced, good controls, visuals, dialogues, characters. I found all the other games (even Uncharted 4) kinda boring after playing for some hours. Lost Legacy is a great game, combining all good things from Uncharted games in a 6/8hours longplay, without unnecessary scenes and segments.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

One fact you guys are missing is that ND actually wanted to make a Jak 4. It can been seen in their Artbook. Meanwhile they decided to change the IP to Uncharted.

Naughty Dog is my favorite company, but I gotta admit that Jak was ok (2 onwards) compared to Ratchet and Clank. Plus, the first Uncharted is not that good either, but the second installment is one of the best adventure games I’ve ever played. Well paced, good controls, visuals, dialogues, characters. I found all the other games (even Uncharted 4) kinda boring after playing for some hours. Lost Legacy is a great game, combining all good things from Uncharted games in a 6/8hours longplay, without unnecessary scenes and segments.

Am I missing this fact? Do you really think Ashley do too? I know neither of us do, and I even say it pretty clearly I knew they wanted to make more games. I say this was insane.

I love Cb series, even Jak 1. The rest just wasn't that good no matter how much I tried and wanted it to be. And you can see it resulted in the sales. Jak 1 sold great btw.

58 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Wait who’s Ashley? I’ve always seen them as beloved by the fans, sales don’t necessarily mean it ruined their rep, it only made it better for me, and everyone I know that’s played the series.

5 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Am I missing this fact? Do you really think Ashley do too? I know neither of us do, and I even say it pretty clearly I knew they wanted to make more games. I say this was insane.

I love Cb series, even Jak 1. The rest just wasn't that good no matter how much I tried and wanted it to be. And you can see it resulted in the sales. Jak 1 sold great btw.

Lol who the fuck is this Ashley you keep mentioning? Jak definitely was better than you act like. Some of the best series of platformers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Wait who’s Ashley? I’ve always seen them as beloved by the fans, sales don’t necessarily mean it ruined their rep, it only made it better for me, and everyone I know that’s played the series.

Lol who the fuck is this Ashley you keep mentioning? Jak definitely was better than you act like. Some of the best series of platformers.

Ashley is who I was talking to initially. Jak 1 was great, the rest really wasn't.

20 hours ago, MMDE said:

When I say “missing” it’s not that you don’t know it, it’s just you haven’t mentioned. At least I haven’t seen it - if that’s the case, I apologize. It was just the way you (people) were putting it: even the bad sales, people wanted more Jak and so ND did.

BTW - about the main topic I created.

I noticed some differences between PS4 Pro with HDR on and a regular PS4 without 4K television. I Platinum the game at my bf’s house with a PS4 Pro when I wrote this topic. However, when I went home and played the game, I found it more fluid and the controls more responsive. Guess it has a lower frame when playing in High resolution, that’s why I bumped/rammed more often against walls and the boost system didn’t respond as well as the original (the muscular memory)

1 minute ago, TurtlePM said:

When I say “missing” it’s not that you don’t know it, it’s just you haven’t mentioned. At least I haven’t seen it - if that’s the case, I apologize. It was just the way you (people) were putting it: even the bad sales, people wanted more Jak and so ND did.

BTW - about the main topic I created.

I noticed some differences between PS4 Pro with HDR on and a regular PS4 without 4K television. I Platinum the game at my bf’s house with a PS4 Pro when I wrote this topic. However, when I went home and played the game, I found it more fluid and the controls more responsive. Guess it has a lower frame when playing in High resolution, that’s why I bumped/rammed more often against walls and the boost system didn’t respond as well as the original (the muscular memory)

A loud fan base, but a minority of gamers, wanted more Jak, but yes, so did certain employees at ND too.

As for your findings, there's a good chance this is true. Do you have the same experience with Pro on a 1080p screen?

2 hours ago, MMDE said:

A loud fan base, but a minority of gamers, wanted more Jak, but yes, so did certain employees at ND too.

As for your findings, there's a good chance this is true. Do you have the same experience with Pro on a 1080p screen?

After testing on my PS4, I played yesterday on the PS4 Pro once again and noticed the differences. Then, I turned the HDR Off and I played normally :) so this is an HDR “problem” only.

If you’re asking about a PS4 Pro with a non-4K/HDR, I couldn’t try it. 

Edited by TurtlePM

On 7/6/2019 at 6:49 AM, LightEcoSage said:

On 7/6/2019 at 6:49 AM, LightEcoSage said:

Wait till you'll fight Oxide again in AM.

I whooped his ass, passed him at the first corner and never saw him again, that was on my easy 100% file :D

Edited by SecondGenesis

On 7/6/2019 at 1:49 PM, MMDE said:

It affected Uc1 sales too. Just facts. It was insane some of them wanted to continue making those games. Jak 2 was like ND wanted to make more Jak games, but they also saw the success of gta3 and wanted to do something similar. However they halfway did each part. Don't be like Ashley and deny facts.

This argument doesn't work. Guerilla Games with Horizon Zero Dawn is one of many, many prime examples that invalidates that type of argument. UDF in reality just ended up not that good of a game, and it by no means aged well, even with all touch up it got in the 60fps remastered collection. Naughty Dog didn't want to do "something similar", they just burrowed some concepts from the games, part of which would have probably existed anyway if GTA never came to be, considering the established designs in TPL alreadyGTA and Jak function entirely differently at their core, and you'd see that if you expanded your perspective, but that's not reasonably possible because you hate the games and overall just don't have the sufficient knowledge to know so without being told or informed. Like other people, you see Jak can harm civilians, steal vehicles, uses a gun, and travels in an open-world and then form the notion that it's a GTA wannabe or an attempt at doing their own GTA, when it's neither. Lastly, you're one to speak about denying facts.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, TurtlePM said:

Plus, the first Uncharted is not that good either, but the second installment is one of the best adventure games I’ve ever played. Well paced, good controls, visuals, dialogues, characters. I found all the other games (even Uncharted 4) kinda boring after playing for some hours. Lost Legacy is a great game, combining all good things from Uncharted games in a 6/8hours longplay, without unnecessary scenes and segments.

Trust me, i'm not missing the fact. I've known that since like what, 2013 or whatever. I still have the video somewhere of Neil going over the game at some event. I also have the art-book. Agree with everything else except a few details; I'd may'be say Lost Legacy is very good rather than great, and it I wouldn't say combining "all the good things", just a fairly good amount of it. As implied, however, I find it much more enjoyable that U4, which simply just isn't that good.

On 7/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, MMDE said:

Stop... calling me Ashley.

The rest of the games are good, they just weren't for you. Jak II sold great as well, and I've already informed you a few times now that it at the very, very least rivals TPL in terms of what the community think is best game in the series is. Outside the few issues JII brought along (like any sequel to any series), it has TPL beat in a wide variety of areas—talking boss fight design, content/replay-value, graphics, difficulty, play-time length, story, narrative, characters (roles, voice acting, impact generally and in story, development, etc), combat, gameplay, etc. TPL is objectively shallow in many areas, and most people who prefer it are ultimately nostalgic purist. I like all the games, and can play them infinitely, but it never goes unnoticed that TPL is the weakest "game" in the series, regardless of how satisfying it is to grab an objectified Power Cell and explore a mostly visual-based varied topographical world. The eco gameplay, open-world design, difficulty, and content is just far too under-cooked and shallow for it to truly stand among the sequels. 

On 7/6/2019 at 2:49 PM, DarkHpokinsn said:

I’ve always seen them as beloved by the fans, sales don’t necessarily mean it ruined their rep, it only made it better for me, and everyone I know that’s played the series.

Jak definitely was better than you act like. Some of the best series of platformers.

You're precisely right.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, MMDE said:

Jak 1 was great, the rest really wasn't.

To you, yes, to others, no. 

On 7/7/2019 at 11:20 AM, MMDE said:

You don't know what is and isn't a minority, so stop treating your own preconceived beliefs as facts. The actual fact of the matter is that a Jak sequel has been a high demand for years, and this was reiterated by the original co-founder of ND (Jason Rubin), not to mention I think both the President (Evan Wells) and Vice President (Neil) of ND. At least one of those two for sure.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:23 PM, SecondGenesis said:

I whooped his ass, passed him at the first corner and never saw him again, that was on my easy 100% file :D

... Who did you use? And did you perform a max start-boost? (Dude literally takes off before the countdown is finished, so you passing him THAT early on is suppose to be like impossible.)

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 2