How do you tackle your trophy hunting backlog?

lunateena

I find myself with a huge backlog. Most of the games I play, I intend on going for that 100% completion. However, I have a hard time sticking to one game or lose interest in it fast....and thus my backlog just keeps getting bigger.

How do you manage your trophy hunting backlog? Any tips or suggestions would be great.

I don't honestly,  I keep buying games telling myself I will go and finish them or even start them at some point and then something new and shiny comes out and I buy and play that instead.  I have been telling myself I will go back and finish up some of the easier ones like Hellblade and Life is strange before the storm and hopefully move on to harder ones as I clear the easier ones out but it never happens.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Not very well. xD 

? what he said.  When I bought a PS4 last Fall and switched over from achievement hunting I told myself I would control my FOMO habit.  I was doing well and then decided to bean dive and took a huge hit.  Started some games I know I'll never 100%/Plat (looking at you WW2).  Now I've got over a dozen sitting with 0 trophies, and a ton of long games waiting to be picked up.   I have gotten better with being consistent and playing games over the last couple months though so hoping that carries over, forever lol

For starters, I only play games I genuinely want to play. If I like a game, getting that 100% usually isn't a problem.

Beyond that, I try to keep my backlog around 3-5 games. I don't play more than one long game at a time, I try to finish one game before I start another, and I like to have one or two games in trophy clean-up mode. I'd say I only spend about 20% of my time on the PS4 actively gaming. The other 80% is spent watching movies or YouTube, while mindlessly grinding or hunting for collectibles. If I wasn't doing something else at the same time, I'd probably lose interest too.

• Like 1

I'm with Cassy on this one. I only play games I'm interested in, which helps maintaining a reasonable backlog (in terms of size). And, you know, from there I just play about three games at a time (one for long sessions, one for short sessions, one for couch-coop) and whenever I 100% one, I replace it with another game from the same "category". 

Whenever DLC comes out for games I have previously gotten 100%, I try to get to it rather sooner than later, too. 

• Like 1

Déjà vu, I feel like I've been in this place before, but that's impossible since this was created only twelve hours ago and I've been busy with thing for the last twelve hours.

I mostly deal with my backlog by playing the games in my backlog. I have a process for selecting games based on three traits, platform, if it's already on my list and how fun the game is. I have focused on my PS3 games because I'm a part of my own PS3 doomsday cult that thinks the online will be shutdown soon, and I want to get as much done as possible before that happens. I also work on 2-3 games at a time. I usually switch games when I've played one for 8 hours or something and need a break from that.

I consider a game done when I feel like I earned every trophy I possibly can in it. If a game has a A-Rank and I've already done every trophy I feel like doing I'll leave it alone. I don't buy DLC just to earn the trophies it has. I'll earn the DLC trophies if I own the DLC and if I feel like it.

I have been really good about going through my backlog. I haven't spent any money on games since March. My PS3 backlog is down to 11 games I definitely want to finish. I have 9 games in the maybe pile that are either very difficult or have online that I'll complete or get a few more trophies in to bring up my completion percentage if I have time. My Vita backlog contains only 22 games at the moment. 6 of my Vita games only take a final push to complete, 3 are visual novels anf 3 are completely new games. My PS4 is definitely my biggest backlog with 5 completely unplayed games and many games I need to work on. 

I like to play through games that appear reasonably easy so I can shrink my backlog a little. I can judge this by looking through guides and checking difficulty. So far this year I've been playing games that are considered up to a 4/10 in difficulty (with a few exceptions because I didn't know what I was getting into ?)

I also try my absolute hardest to achieve all trophies in one game before starting another. It takes a lot of discipline and I'm not gonna lie, it can be frustrating at times playing the same game for months trying to get the platinum. The best way I know how to cope is to play a game that doesn't have trophies attached to it so I don't have to think about them. It gives me a break before I get back into the game.

Edited by Emiinah

I have grown to accept that my backlog will always grow faster than my completed games. Between the free monthly games, the occasional game I've wanted that has a good sale or the recommendation that I want to play while it is relevant to whomever recommended it...I can never catch up. Most of the games I want to play are of the longer variety so it's easy for the backlog to grow...and I'm now ok with that. I try to prioritize games I've spent real money on over the freebies, but at the end of the day I just try to play good games and go from there.

I manage my trophy backlog by not allowing myself to have one.  I start a game and I generally don't start another until I hit 100%.  Of course, this means I'll still be playing PS3 games when the PS5 comes out.  However, for what it's worth the completion percentage stays high and the backlog low.  

As for dealing with backlog, the way I handled mines was just to force myself to complete each game I had already started.  After that you only start games you know you'll enjoy.  

Edited by Helmet_time
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Helmet_time said:

I manage my trophy backlog by not allowing myself to have one.  I start a game and I generally don't start another until I hit 100%.  Of course, this means I'll still be playing PS3 games when the PS5 comes out.  However, for what it's worth the completion percentage stays high and the backlog low.  

As for dealing with backlog, the way I handled mines was just to force myself to complete each game I had already started.  After that you only start games you know you'll enjoy.  

That's what many people on PSNProfiles lacks. They just have a big amount of games to Plat, they join every single session, enter in thousands of different PS Chat/Discord groups and in the end, they never finish anything. And to complete, they fuck those like me, who doesn't boost more than 2/3 games at a time. 

Discipline is the key!

I personnaly don't start up a new game until I've Plated and 100% the game I'm working on. Only exception to this rule is that I allow myself to alternate between 1 game on PS3 and 1 on PS4 since I only decided to Plat and 100% my old PS3 games about 1 year ago... but I find that I get better results in my trophy hunting when I focus on one game only.

Also, since I only have about 1h per night to play, I can concentrate on achieving small objectives in each session and keep my completion percentage up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • I don't include PS+ games 
  •  
  • for every two games i finish i buy one if there is something i would like 
  •  
  • I mix up between long grindy plats and easy games
  •  
  • i play two games at a time making progress in each game if i get frustrated with both i play something else i started on my profile and planned to go back to then finish that and go back to the two games i was playing.
  • I set reasonable goals e.g 100% on Uncharted 2 & 3 i say well i will just get the platinum and abandon the rest giving me the flexibility as i am not a completionist.
  • and of course most importantly play games that i find fun or engaging which keeps my passion for gaming alive and for trophy hunting.