Sony Rewards Removing Trophy Pass Redemption - Nov 7th, 2019

it would be nice at least when the deadline arrives if they could let you finish the passes you were working on after the deadline. i'm 4 away from another platinum pass, but i highly doubt that i will reach it another time before the beginning of november. so this next one i reach will likely be my last. unless i were to strictly play shorter games and be selective. but that wouldn't be fun as i want to get some longer games in before the year ends. 

34 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I’m wagering Sony watched the VPNs and alt accounts start racking up the points completely out of their marketing projections and budget. Wasn’t too hard for them to see which accounts redeemed the points and where the money was spent.

This program was ill conceived from the beginning and it was only a matter of time before it imploded. 

That’s because cheap shitty games with 10 - 30 minute platinums could be done in bulk. Turns out people were exploiting the system and Sony decided to pull the plug on it. 

Right when the Rewards System was introduced, we started seeing games with six stacks from Ratalalika Games, among others. I don’t think that was mere coincidence.

57 minutes ago, Spaz said:

That’s because cheap shitty games with 10 - 30 minute platinums could be done in bulk. Turns out people were exploiting the system and Sony decided to pull the plug on it. 

Right when the Rewards System was introduced, we started seeing games with six stacks from Ratalalika Games, among others. I don’t think that was mere coincidence.

Except Sony would be fine with that because that would show an increase in game sales. So long as they were US region for the US program.

11 hours ago, cris3f said:

Just the self-marketing?...

Yes. They NEVER capitalized on the popularity of the systems or the games. Just the possible revenue from t-shirts sold in major retail stores would have been enough to add an additional zero at the end of their quarterly profit reports. Then you have coffee cup, hat, jacket, sweatshirt, action figures, clocks, lampshades, jigsaw puzzles, bolts of fabric for custom handmade items, bedding, etc, etc, etc...

On 7/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, Asmund89 said:

so I'm at 12,000 points, empty the tank on psn cards? or save up for something bigger? I'm conflicted

120$ in credit.... i would wait for a good sale you can't pass up but if they're not going to expire anytime soon saving up is better.

mine only went up 100 points from last time. 7/10th's of a way to a reward code.

Edited by lordguwa

They should really just implement new trophy passes, that are less lucrative/abusable, rather than simply scrapping a great idea. Playing games to earn points is really satisfying, and I would be happy even if it took 25 platinums to earn 1000 points, or if the points value for the passes were heavily reduced.

6 minutes ago, Baka_Marimo said:

I never got to know this program and always wondered what happened to the trophies you redeemed. Do they disappear from your profile?

Nothing happens. They're counted in the program for you to get points, when you earn them, but then nothing different happens.

• Like 1

Nintendo has the perfect system that Sony and Microsoft should copy where any digital store purchase gave you points that could be used towards the purchase of any game. More expensive game giving more points. It strikes the perfect balance of acquiring revenue and player benefit

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 2:10 PM, majob said:

Nintendo has the perfect system that Sony and Microsoft should copy where any digital store purchase gave you points that could be used towards the purchase of any game. More expensive game giving more points. It strikes the perfect balance of acquiring revenue and player benefit

Does Sony not have this system? I mean, I know they run specials, but isn't $1 spent equal to one point on the store?

On 9/8/2019 at 5:46 AM, n0t-Y0uR_F4ther2 said:

I was actually hoping to see Trophies being removed from the PlayStation System, unfortunately millions upon millions will continue their addiction.

Well, no one is saying that you have to continue yours...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Does Sony not have this system? I mean, I know they run specials, but isn't $1 spent equal to one point on the store?

Sony Rewards points don't translate into money you can use in purchases unless you acquire at least 1000 points to buy a $10 point card. Nintendo's digital store allows you to use any acquired points immediately towards any purchase in the store, no redemption through another site necessary. 

Say I have 500 gold coins in the Nintendo digital store which translates into $5. I can use that $5 at any point in the store whenever I make a purchase or simply save it and let my points accrue. With Sony, you at least need a 1000 points just to use them towards a purchase with the point card which means I need to spend  $1000 to get ten bucks..... Unless Sony is doing a 2x or 5x point event

Edited by majob

Just now, majob said:

Sony Rewards points don't translate into money you can use in purchases unless you acquire at least 1000 points to buy a $10 point card. Nintendo's digital store allows you to use any acquired points immediately towards any purchase in the store, no redemption through another site necessary. 

Say I have 500 gold coins in the Nintendo digital store which translates into $5. I can use that $5 at any point in the store whenever I make a purchase or simply save it and let my points accrue. With Sony, you at least need a 1000 points just to use them towards a purchase with the point card which means I need to spend at $1000 to get ten bucks..... Unless Sony is doing a 2x or 5x point event

OOOHHHHHH. Yeah, you are DEFINITELY right about that. It annoys me to end that I need 1000 points before I can get any discount whatsoever.

Thanks for the clarification. Funny thing is, I've griped about this very thing before - I can't believe I completely overlooked your implication.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone done the "Build your team" pass where you get 3 people to join Sony Rewards. I have multiple email accounts and was jusssst wondering...might be a lot of work for just 300 points though.

Edited by NERVergoproxy

• 3 weeks later...

wtf does this mean i signed on to see if i had any points added, instead in the points section it says 500- Correction-Newbie Movie Buff Pass.

I am concerned right now, if this was some pass I signed for in the past and didn't fill the criteria for. If I did why would I lose 500 points for not completing a pass? 

EDIT: never mind, just received a message back from them. they said they mistakenly added 500 points for movie pass and then removed it. so that 770 worth of points i've been seeing for the past month was a mistake. -_- i honestly like everybody else don't know how many points i truly have left, thought i might have nearly or have 2000 by time they add the points. 

Edited by RJP_X

10 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

wtf does this mean i signed on to see if i had any points added, instead in the points section it says 500- Correction-Newbie Movie Buff Pass.

I am concerned right now, if this was some pass I signed for in the past and didn't fill the criteria for. If I did why would I lose 500 points for not completing a pass? 

I got an email from Sony about this. I don't even use Sony Rewards, but I was given 500 points (as I suspect you were) the other day that I did not earn. Strangely, Sony decided to remove them instead of giving people a free gift. I guess they don't care about good customer service...

October 16th, 2019
spacer.gif
Hello,
spacer.gif
We are writing to notify you of a recent point balance change that was erroneously made to your Sony Rewards account. We mistakenly added 500 Sony Rewards points to your account.

Unfortunately, our system wrongly indicated that you were eligible for and had completed the necessary steps associated with the Newbie Movie Buff Pass, and as a result, the system mistakenly added the 500 Sony Rewards points to your balance. We discovered the issue on October 2, 2019, and in order to correct this error, we have now removed the 500 points that were erroneously added to your Points Balance. The removal will be listed in your Points Activity as "Correction - Newbie Movie Buff Pass."

We deeply regret that your account was impacted by this error. We take your enjoyment of the Sony Rewards program very seriously, and this is not the kind of experience we want for our members.

Thank you for your understanding,
spacer.gif
Sony Rewards Customer Service Team

10 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

Same just happened to me. Btw SR app is being totally broken last 2 weeks.

Back, in my case i thought they gave me that newbie movie buff as incentive because i tried to scan a new movie but it seems that they replaced the codes with the new list of movies which is a lot of bs, I still have a code dammit.

Anyway, that newbie movie buff was a temporary reward (monthly probably) and no, it was not something you signed for.