What Platinum is rarer than it should be?

Narfi525

On 6/26/2019 at 0:05 AM, Fr_0zt said:

GTAV.... People are lazy.

I would say that but another factor (not the only one obviously) is that they’ve been glitched trophies. I know, because it happened to me with the Bureau Raid and Big Score mission not popping when they should’ve the first time. I also didn’t get the level 50 trophy until 51.

There’s  also been complaints about the collectible trophies, All Loves in Fair War, 100%, other story related trophies (most notably the Brad mission) not popping when it should. And whenever people send a ticket to Rockstar, they always say a bullshit excuse that it is a syncing issue.

It’s a given that people likely gave up because of that.

I would agree that laziness is a thing but there’s also a good reason for it to be ultra rare. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, linkisawesome said:

All CODs and FIFAs are much rarer than their difficulty suggests, with the only exceptions maybe being WAW, BO2, BO3 and BO4. In regards to other games, GTAV and Oddword: New n´Tasty also don't justify their rarity. 

I think a lot of people are either put off by FUT or only play FUT. Its why I haven't got any plats in FIFA titles, because I just don't want to play in that mode.

1 hour ago, ARH65512 said:

I would say that but another factor (not the only one obviously) is that they’ve been glitched trophies. I know, because it happened to me with the Bureau Raid and Big Score mission not popping when they should’ve the first time. I also didn’t get the level 50 trophy until 51.

There’s  also been complaints about the collectible trophies, All Loves in Fair War, 100%, other story related trophies (most notably the Brad mission) not popping when it should. And whenever people send a ticket to Rockstar, they always say a bullshit excuse that it is a syncing issue.

It’s a given that people likely gave up because of that.

I would agree that laziness is a thing but there’s also a good reason for it to be ultra rare. 

The vast majority of people play for the online. Same as Call of Duty. They’re among the most popular and active game franchises out there. That’s a good reason why trophy percentages for both Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto V are reasonably low.

Another reason it’s ultra rare is the amount of work you have to do. You have to score a Gold in at least 70 Story Missions including the Franklin side missions. He’s the only guy who can’t die at the end depending on the ending you picked. 

Then there’s stuff like flying between buildings and going under bridges, doing a bunch of collectibles, doing a specific side mission storyline, and doing all the Rampages. Exploring the map is another requirement. 

The multiplayer adds an entire new layer of stuff you need for the platinum. It’s time consuming and tedious. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 is more of the same fare trophy wise and that takes even longer to platinum.

Both GTA V and RDR 2 have hoards of people playing, but only a few have the platinum because of how time consuming they are. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Bastion (11.87%) and Transistor (10.28%) and it's even weirder that Transistor is rarer. Both are easy and short platinums and it makes sense it's not super high because a lot of non-trophy hunters won't replay. However, them being lower than 25% is strange. I hear nothing but praise for these two as indie gems and again short and easy. Transistor is easy to break with its combinations which is why I said it's weird it's rarer than Bastion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

Bastion (11.87%) and Transistor (10.28%) and it's even weirder that Transistor is rarer. Both are easy and short platinums and it makes sense it's not super high because a lot of non-trophy hunters won't replay. However, them being lower than 25% is strange. I hear nothing but praise for these two as indie gems and again short and easy. Transistor is easy to break with its combinations which is why I said it's weird it's rarer than Bastion.

Transistor was a PS Plus game. Generally any indie game that gets placed on PS Plus is going to have lower percentages. 

Rarity doesn’t amount to difficulty. The Soulsborne games are the most difficult and time consuming games I’ve played that still have above a 10 percent rarity platinum. 

Dust: An Elysian Tail is fairly easy from start to finish and most of its trophies are uncommon to rare. Probably too niche for most people to contend with.

My only Ultra Rare plat is Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories on PS3. In terms of difficulty, it really isn't hard at all, but the gameplay gets very tedious after a few hours, and the grind for cards and levels is monotonous. It isn't Ultra Rare on PS4. I'd imagine that this is because a lot more people tried it on PS3 because they hadn't played it before- it was only released on PS2 in 2008 and it never saw release in the EU until the HD collection; PS4 players are the ones more dedicated to getting this plat because they probably know already what's in store for them. It was a much better game in its original form on GBA, many of the games core mechanics don't translate well to 3D.

So yeah, in terms of challenge, it isn't hard. But it is not fun, either, so the rarity isn't all that big a surprise to me who has platinumed it twice!

Edited by Stan Lee

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

The vast majority of people play for the online. Same as Call of Duty. They’re among the most popular and active game franchises out there. That’s a good reason why trophy percentages for both Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto V are reasonably low.

Another reason it’s ultra rare is the amount of work you have to do. You have to score a Gold in at least 70 Story Missions including the Franklin side missions. He’s the only guy who can’t die at the end depending on the ending you picked. 

Then there’s stuff like flying between buildings and going under bridges, doing a bunch of collectibles, doing a specific side mission storyline, and doing all the Rampages. Exploring the map is another requirement. 

The multiplayer adds an entire new layer of stuff you need for the platinum. It’s time consuming and tedious. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 is more of the same fare trophy wise and that takes even longer to platinum.

Both GTA V and RDR 2 have hoards of people playing, but only a few have the platinum because of how time consuming they are. 

Oh, don't get me wrong. There's fair amount of factors to why it's ultra rare. Personally, I thought RDR2 was a lot harder to plat than GTA V because there's even more randomness, unlike the gold medals in GTA V, you have to do it in one go and using replay is worthless. Hell, even though it's the rarest trophy in GTA V, I don't think I consider it to be the hardest. I think Numero Uno was a lot harder because it's online and there's no checklist for it. 

34 minutes ago, ARH65512 said:

Oh, don't get me wrong. There's fair amount of factors to why it's ultra rare. Personally, I thought RDR2 was a lot harder to plat than GTA V because there's even more randomness, unlike the gold medals in GTA V, you have to do it in one go and using replay is worthless. Hell, even though it's the rarest trophy in GTA V, I don't think I consider it to be the hardest. I think Numero Uno was a lot harder because it's online and there's no checklist for it. 

I think if one were to use a trophy guide from the start, they would still have to spend 120 - 150+ hours to get the platinum. 

Sadly I did not transfer my online character so I would have to start from scratch. 

It’s basically time consuming. However the Doomsday Heist DLC makes GTA V a more respectable 100 percent because of how much you have to rely on other players. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 looks as though you can just get most of the multiplayer trophies legit. Not as much “bullshit randomness” like you had to do in the original game. 

It’s a dead shame I live in an area with poor internet. Otherwise I would be playing GTA Online.

Strike Vector Ex - This one definitely comes on the top of my head when I saw this thread. Takes like 10-15 hours and all the online trophies can be boosted in public lobbies with bots. I know this was a PS+ game for NA like 2 years ago but it was still an ultra rare plat even before that.

Yakuza 4 - PS+ game too I know, but it's rarer than Yakuza 5 and that takes twice the time as 4 does. And Yakuza 4 is one of the easier RgG/Yakuza games to plat.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - I didn't think Score Attack was difficult at all; with the right cards and once you know what you're doing, it becomes trivial. I thought it was kinda fun too. I haven't played Shadow yet, but I've seen it get a higher difficulty rating and that has a higher plat % than Rise. I guess I'll see for myself whenever I play it and see the highest difficulty for myself.

• Like 1

• FEAR 3: just generally over-rarified. A very easy and bog standard FPS game for which I have no idea how it's sitting at 2.66%
  • Lord of the Rings Conquest: the textbook example of how server closure leads to rarification. Once considered one of the easiest and quickest platinums on PSN, its rarity purely comes down to the fact that it hasn't been obtainable for over 9 years. 
  • Tom Clancy's Endwar: artificially rare because of the "Dog of War" trophy being glitched from the 2008 launch until May 2013, by which point most of the fans and indeed trophy hunters would have moved on. 
  • Far Cry 2: There are way longer boosts out there that have a way less rare platinum. Back when the XP glitch didn't exist, the grind was quite brutal but now that the glitch exists...I don't understand the infamy this platinum has, personally. 

King's Quest, though it's not a plat.  Now I know part of this is because it was a PS+ game.  But what I don't get is why the highest rarity trophy is below 40% in a point and click adventure that has solid step by step guides to get through it that also aren't videos?  The game takes maybe 10 hours to 100% all the episodes, but the 100% rarlity is 2.17%  The game has no common trophies, all of them are uncommon or rare.  Even if it's not a plat, the rarity for this makes no sense at all.

But for plat, Exist Archive.  The game isn't hard, but it is grindy and fails to explain a lot.  Once you get the hang though, the game is not hard at all.  There isn't any reason why over half the trophies are ultra rare besides the fact that grindy RPGs always have rare plats.

Edited by ladynadiad