Puyo Puyo Strategy/Tactic?

Surgical_Assault

For the people that have managed or came close to beating all rivals for the challenge, what was your method of approach?

I've been at it for roughly 6 hours now, and the highest I've managed to get was wave 11 twice. My method was set up spots so I could atleast get a 2 chain minimum, sometimes I'd get lucky and pop a 3 or even 4 chain at random. Should I stick with doing this and just hope for the best or is there a much simpler way to grasp this?

25 minutes ago, MarcooW96 said:

Go to the trophy thoughts thread. There is a method. I could only get to wave 2 but with the method got 32 wins.

Appreciate it man, cheers! How long roughly since using this method did it take you to do?

21 minutes ago, mako-heart said:

You play Puyo in Judgement?!

Yessir and lets just say its not kind lol

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Surgical_Assault said:

Im happy with that compared to what ive been trying aha first attempt then and I got upto wave 12 so its already better progress!

You just need a bit of luck but definitely easy with the method.

3 minutes ago, MarcooW96 said:

You just need a bit of luck but definitely easy with the method.

Yeah you're not wrong after getting that 12 waves my last few attempts haven't gone past 5 aha. I think i'll just grind it out tomorrow.

Edited by Surgical_Assault

I'll just copy my reply from the trophy thoughts thread:

What I do is I first make sure the three columns on the right are completely filled. While filling up the third column, I also pay attention to which color is at the bottom of the third column and I make sure I drop at least one more, ideally two more, of the same color at the bottom of the fourth column by rotating so that only the color I need falls into that fourth column. That makes it a bit easier to eventually get all 4 of the same color at the bottom. Then when they do pop, it often gives a chain reaction up above for massive damage.

If all three columns on the right are filled and I get some junk colors I don't need, I just pile them up on the leftmost column. Every so often I make sure to clean that part up when I see the opportunity, because I do need that part to be somewhat clean just in case I'm in a bit of a pinch. Also, I always pick the fish character because he can really screw you over if you battle him sometimes.

Got to 51 wins with this method.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Surgical_Assault said:

Yeah you're not wrong after getting that 12 waves my last few attempts haven't gone past 5 aha. I think i'll just grind it out tomorrow.

Yeah I had 2 games of getting to wave 2 then the game after wave 31. You'll get there but also use the fish character. What everyone else has recommended and worked for me.

Edited by MarcooW96

11 hours ago, Asimb0mb said:

What I do is I first make sure the three columns on the right are completely filled. While filling up the third column, I also pay attention to which color is at the bottom of the third column and I make sure I drop at least one more, ideally two more, of the same color at the bottom of the fourth column by rotating so that only the color I need falls into that fourth column. That makes it a bit easier to eventually get all 4 of the same color at the bottom. Then when they do pop, it often gives a chain reaction up above for massive damage.

If all three columns on the right are filled and I get some junk colors I don't need, I just pile them up on the leftmost column. Every so often I make sure to clean that part up when I see the opportunity, because I do need that part to be somewhat clean just in case I'm in a bit of a pinch. Also, I always pick the fish character because he can really screw you over if you battle him sometimes.

Appreciate the tips about the left hand side, started placing unwanted ones more strategically then to eliminate then when I can, got to level 20 and 21 first 2 times then 31 third time and got the challenge done!

On 6/26/2019 at 5:42 PM, Asimb0mb said:

^

Basically what this guy said. The same trick worked for Yakuza 6 as well, btw.

I suppose most people struggle with Puyo Puyo because it was not compulsory to do it in Yakuza 6 for the platinum, unless you really wanted to get the War God Talisman for your shiny 100% completion. Puyo Puyo is not that hard as most people say. 

• Like 1

On 28.6.2019 at 3:04 PM, Cortez71 said:

^

Basically what this guy said. The same trick worked for Yakuza 6 as well, btw.

I suppose most people struggle with Puyo Puyo because it was not compulsory to do it in Yakuza 6 for the platinum, unless you really wanted to get the War God Talisman for your shiny 100% completion. Puyo Puyo is not that hard as most people say. 

It depends, for me it is almost impossible even with the tower method. 13-14 wins in a row was my best result ( 2-3 times) after 3 hours using the tower method. I dont even get the slightest bit of enjoyment out of such games, so thats probably the reason. The thought that this piece of shit is killing my plat is infuriating.

Edited by GoDBoss173
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GoDBoss173 said:

It depends, for me it is almost impossible even with the tower method. 13-14 wins in a row was my best result ( 2-3 times) after 3 hours using the tower method. I dont even get the slightest bit of enjoyment out of such games, so thats probably the reason. The thought that this piece of shit is killing my plat is infuriating.

Keep trying you'll get it. Just need a bit of practice.

Just so you guys know, I've beaten Rulue like quite a few times but the list would still not register. Is there anything particular I must do to fix that? Just so you know, she is the only opponent that hasn't been registered on the checklist of characters I've beaten at Puyo Puyo.

Edit: Nvm, I have to at least win 25 matches consecutively before facing her -_-

Edited by XLordXNightmareX

23 hours ago, GoDBoss173 said:

Are you doing it right? (i.e. putting those three columns as quickly as possible, starting to bring down the tower from the bottom row after the three columns were set up, etc.). 13-14 wins seem to be too low of a wincount, even though I also agree that with this strategy, the AI can still screw you with lucky chains, however you should be consistently winning 15+ matches with it. I altogether spent 3 and a half hours in Puyo Puyo, and my highest wincount was 38 using this strategy.

would anybody be willing to post a video of them doing this strategy successfully? i can't for the life of me get past 15 wins even with the three column strategy. i can get to 10 pretty consistently but then i'll inevitably get a run of bad luck where i'm not getting the right tiles and they'll hit like 4 chains in a row and just completely ruin my chances.  maybe i just suck at this game, but i've been able to platinum every yakuza game i've played so far (though i still have to do the legendary difficulty for kiwami 2) and i'd hate for this to be the first one that i tap out on. i'm pulling my hair out. i mean i can brute force it i guess and hope i improve but i just spent 3 hours without much success so there must be something i'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Never mind I got it finally. Just took another few hours. I definitely got better and faster as I played more but there still is definitely a lot of luck needed. Especially against a couple of the AI characters like the bear (I played as the fish) because if you didn't get 3 or 4 chains within 15-20 seconds they were going to destroy you. I just got to 29 wins for the first time and then died but thankfully when I clicked out to see how many rivals I had left Mean Bean Machine 2 (or whatever it's called) popped. I still have to play Yakuza 6 so not looking forward to doing this again but at least it's not required for the platinum apparently.

Edited by caseyelsie

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, TheKing51996 said:

We need a patch asap. Got to 33 and 29 and this b*tch still doesn't spawn.  Yeah awesome idea. Play for 40-60min with a chance for an random enemy. GG

They need to put all enemy one after another, 10 wins total. But i think patch never happen ARGH

On 8/12/2019 at 4:15 AM, Neme-ita said:

They need to put all enemy one after another, 10 wins total. But i think patch never happen ARGH

Considering they never patched the minigame difficulty ? i dont think so. i still worried about otometal on Y kiwami . never personally tried it tho i hope i can do the otometal :/ at least it should be easier than puyo lol

Edited by WhiteRaito