Puyo Puyo Strategy/Tactic?

Surgical_Assault

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Many congrats man!

I've quit and gone back to this game so many times because of Puyo Puyo in the 3 weeks I've owned the game. Now over 30 hours spent on Puyo Puyo alone with over 300+ wins altogether but only made it to round 24 once. Most times I can't get past round 1 when using the fish guy, and if I don't use him he destroys me. 

Proper happy for you though man. Hope the rest of the game goes with a better flow for you. 

Thanks man

Just keep trying, when I started and seen the requirements I never thought I get it done. Everytime I used fish guy Maguro or the Bear destroyed me, so I settled for Maguro. If you don't have a Chain ready for the fish guy as soon as his round starts it's almost certain a KO. Ugh what a shit challenge just thinking about it gives me nightmares.

Edited by near0704

1 hour ago, near0704 said:

Thanks man

Just keep trying, when I started and seen the requirements I never thought I get it done. Everytime I used fish guy Maguro or the Bear destroyed me, so I settled for Maguro. If you don't have a Chain ready for the fish guy as soon as his round starts it's almost certain a KO. Ugh what a shit challenge just thinking about it gives me nightmares.

I won't ever do this unless one day when I try, the RNG is lenient with me. You can know the strategy to a T and after 30 hours on this I know how to play. In no way am I taking anything away from your victory man, I'm really glad for you that you can get it done and no longer have to attempt this shit. But this requirement is 100% luck based. You could get 25 wins and she won't appear until 100 rounds. 

RGG just dump shit in their games without thinking about what filler they're actually putting in. I swore after being done with the Yakuza franchise that I would never touch another game from them ever again. I just wish I had not bought this in the sale. 

Another 3 days, another 3 days of getting no where. I stuck to limiting myself to playing on 3 games a day now which can still take almost 2 hours each time. Getting me down big time now lol. 

edit

Still no progress. Started doing it character by character now. Tuesday I used the first girl character, got to about round 10, then nothing on the last two attempts. Tonight I used that Maguro guy or whatever he is called. Got to round 13 then wasted on the last two attempts. Will try again in a couple of days. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

This minigame is such bullshit. When I’m doing reallly well and think this could be my run I get destroyed in a few seconds. Perfectly setting up some chain combo’s, waiting for a certain color to come along and it doesn’t for a few turns and than the AI hits you with a 4-5 chain. Game over. You need a lot of luck, well I do at least. Worst and hardest minigame so far in any RGG game.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ

On 8/14/2020 at 0:41 PM, BB-BakkerJ said:

This minigame is such bullshit. When I’m doing reallly well and think this could be my run I get destroyed in a few seconds. Perfectly setting up some chain combo’s, waiting for a certain color to come along and it doesn’t for a few turns and than the AI hits you with a 4-5 chain. Game over. You need a lot of luck, well I do at least. Worst and hardest minigame so far in any RGG game.

Indeed. I had another 3 attempts tonight and only got as far as round 8. The AI's rng is just too much. Made for a shit gaming experience for Judgement for me as this is all i know or will remember be it getting the platinum or not. If they had kept it at just 30 wins and not randomised the opponents requirements it would have actually been an awesome mini game to enjoy. But this is RGG and they rarely make for a truly enjoyable experience. 

People think I am lying when I say I have spent a total of over 30 hours on this mini-game, but i'm not. My game time is now 43 hours. 12 on the main game and doing bits here and there, and then 31 hours on Puyo Puyo. Thats the other problem with the game, its not quick. You could spend 30 minutes just battling to get to round 15 or so and then lose. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Indeed. I had another 3 attempts tonight and only got as far as round 8. The AI's rng is just too much. Made for a shit gaming experience for Judgement for me as this is all i know or will remember be it getting the platinum or not. If they had kept it at just 30 wins and not randomised the opponents requirements it would have actually been an awesome mini game to enjoy. But this is RGG and they rarely make for a truly enjoyable experience. 

I usually fail at 14/15. I just get bombarded by chains of the AI, instantly filling my grid. So annoying. But, I already got to 26 once and lost to Rulue. So I was very close already. I never give up but it can take a while before I get another run like that.

Edit: O man. Just had another 27 run. But no Rulue. I fucking hate this minigame.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ

Noooo. I lost to her again on 28 ?. I even started with a 5 chain combo. Thought I won, but she recovered real quick and than did an insane combo herself which filled my grid. I could have recovered but I couldn’t focus anymore. It takes like 30-40 minutes of concentration to even get there. I’m getting better at the game, but I don’t want to play this piece of crap minigame anymore.

Edit: Gave it one more go. Failed at 16. But I recorded a little video this time. This is how I always lose. I filled his grid almost entirely and 5 seconds later I’m dead. Is this even avoidable?

Edited by BB-BakkerJ

5 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Noooo. I lost to her again on 28 1f62d.png. I even started with a 5 chain combo. Thought I won, but she recovered real quick and than did an insane combo herself which filled my grid. I could have recovered but I couldn’t focus anymore. It takes like 30-40 minutes of concentration to even get there. I’m getting better at the game, but I don’t want to play this piece of crap minigame anymore.

Mate I am truly gutted for you. On the one hand you've done a hell of a lot better than me in such a short amount of time, but to get to her again and again and have her beat you is some awful dog shit luck. 

Its not fair that once you get the 25 wins in a row, that she doesn't appear straight away. Its also bullshit that once you have fought her at least once, that she doesn't appear sooner in the next attempt. I saw a vid where a guy didn't get her until round 39, but when he beat her he then started a new vid and she appeared at round 12. 

As for your round 16 vid. This is what happens to me every single time mate. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Mate I am truly gutted for you. On the one hand you've done a hell of a lot better than me in such a short amount of time, but to get to her again and again and have her beat you is some awful dog shit luck. 

Its not fair that once you get the 25 wins in a row, that she doesn't appear straight away. Its also bullshit that once you have fought her at least once, that she doesn't appear sooner in the next attempt. I saw a vid where a guy didn't get her until round 39, but when he beat her he then started a new vid and she appeared at round 12. 

As for your round 16 vid. This is what happens to me every single time mate. 

Aaaaand I lost again to that bitch Rulue. That’s the third time now. This is starting to frustrate me. 

Watching this again. I’m just a little bit too slow but also have just bad luck. I needed a yellow and later on a blue to get a few chains to beat her. Ofcourse they don’t show up when you need them the most.

I also get nervous when I see her appear. Making unnecessary mistakes.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ

7 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Aaaaand I lost again to that bitch Rulue. That’s the third time now. This is starting to frustrate me. 

Watching this again. I’m just a little bit too slow but also have just bad luck. I needed a yellow and later on a blue to get a few chains to beat her. Ofcourse they don’t show up when you need them the most.

I also get nervous when I see her appear. Making unnecessary mistakes.

I'm just impressed that you have got there a number of times in such a short amount of time. Well done lad and hope you nail this soon.

For myself I am now down to 1 attempt a day, and if I'm honest I actually dread turning the PS4 on because of this. Gonna gave my attempt now and get it out of the way. 

EDIT

Didn't even get to build 1 and a half columns before it was game over due to the AI having massive combos from the start.

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

I'm just impressed that you have got there a number of times in such a short amount of time. Well done lad and hope you nail this soon.

For myself I am now down to 1 attempt a day, and if I'm honest I actually dread turning the PS4 on because of this. Gonna gave my attempt now and get it out of the way. 

EDIT

Didn't even get to build 1 and a half columns before it was game over due to the AI having massive combos from the start.

No worries man. We’ll both get it soon. Good luck!

2 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

No worries man. We’ll both get it soon. Good luck!

I got a feeling you will get it within the next couple of days man. After seeing some of your posts you've pretty much nailed this game. Now go destroy that bitch!

I've dedicated more than enough time to this without success. So I will be starting my new profile tomorrow. Cannot waste any more time trying to get this and now cannot actually stomach turning the PS4 on any more lol. Tell you something though, i will never touch this game again. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, near0704 said:

Wow that's heavy. If the Blue came just a Second earlier you could probably set off a good Chain.

Exactly. That was just bad luck. I’ll get it soon though...

40 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I got a feeling you will get it within the next couple of days man. After seeing some of your posts you've pretty much nailed this game. Now go destroy that bitch!

I've dedicated more than enough time to this without success. So I will be starting my new profile tomorrow. Cannot waste any more time trying to get this and now cannot actually stomach turning the PS4 on any more lol. Tell you something though, i will never touch this game again. 

Don’t give up. Yeah it’s a piece of shit minigame but you can do this. No need to start a new profile.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Exactly. That was just bad luck. I’ll get it soon though...

Don’t give up. Yeah it’s a piece of shit minigame but you can do this. No need to start a new profile.

Yeah starting anew profile is just gonna lead to doing all over again.

Gotta tuff it and break the cycle.

P.S Im considering starting Yakuza series.

Should I start with 0 or 3?

1 hour ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Kiwami

Kiwami 2

3-6

If you want the whole experience.

5 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Is it really ruff going from 0 to 3R?

Like gameplay wise I mean.

0 is quite new game and really well made. Story for me was the best in Yakuza 0. 1 is their first attempt to remake, which is not bad. Kiwami 2 looks really good and is well made.  Remaster of third part looks the worst from all of the games. Story is good, not to long. Still I would also advise to play Yakuza games in order, storywise. It rewards you in main and side stories.

12 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Start with Zero.

Zero was actually built after Yakuza 5, so the original fans get a lot of nods, where as being new to it and playing it first you will get all the references throughout the series. it spoils nothing in anyway and is definitely my favorite of the series. 

And as you also like your completions, just google somthing like Yakuza Zero gamefaqs. Its not so much for story spoilers that you need, but more for hidden stuff. For example, Yakuza Zero doesn't  show side missions on the map, so its good to know where to go and when they unlock. the gamefaqs guides are well detailed and it features everything per chapter.

The other good thing about being late to the series is that the games are often on sale. 

As for your question about it being rough going from the new games to remasters. In terms of combat Yakuza Zero and Kiwami 1 both have the same move sets. Then for Kiwami 2 they use the engine and combat system from Yakuza 6. I wasn't overly keen on how they handled that but its no biggy and once you beat Kiwami 2 you won't get that engine again until you reach Yakuza 6.Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 use the same styles as Zero and Kiwami 1

Edited by DaveMcDamage

To the people that have been struggling with the Puyo Puyo completion for hours on end; what strategy are you using? I've been playing Puyo Puyo on and off since I was a teenager and this "stacking up the three rightmost columns" isn't really a viable method IMO.

Sure, people will brute force the game this way and come and tell people of their success, but I find it weird that nobody seems to be discussing how to actually learn and play the game. If you take some time to learn some basic chains the AI is like medium difficulty at most. 

I don't get why people put effort into something like learning mahjong for the mahjong completion points but can't be bothered to learn to play Puyo and then complain about what a terrible game they think it is. If all it was was dropping everything down the right hand side and praying for chains I'd agree with you all, but it's actually a fun game with deep mechanics that it seems like nobody can be bothered to learn. 

On 8/19/2020 at 11:50 PM, twothumbedfist said:

To the people that have been struggling with the Puyo Puyo completion for hours on end; what strategy are you using? I've been playing Puyo Puyo on and off since I was a teenager and this "stacking up the three rightmost columns" isn't really a viable method IMO.

Sure, people will brute force the game this way and come and tell people of their success, but I find it weird that nobody seems to be discussing how to actually learn and play the game. If you take some time to learn some basic chains the AI is like medium difficulty at most. 

I don't get why people put effort into something like learning mahjong for the mahjong completion points but can't be bothered to learn to play Puyo and then complain about what a terrible game they think it is. If all it was was dropping everything down the right hand side and praying for chains I'd agree with you all, but it's actually a fun game with deep mechanics that it seems like nobody can be bothered to learn. 

I'm sure the actual full game of Puyo Puyo is a blast. I love those sorts of games usually. 

But this is just a mini-game with a ridiculous requirement, and the time even a poor attempt makes is way too long. The difference with Mahjong and this game is how I would describe like this. 

So Mahjong even on the easiest setting can wreck you with 41 tiles remaining which has happened to me on many occasion. But 4 AI opponents is no different to 4 human players as you still don't know what they have or what moves they will make. They can surprise you, cock up, screw you over etc etc. So I think thats why people enjoy Mahjong once they learn it, and it is a great game to play. 

Its also like how the devs made the Arkham games, in that you can win even with the most basic of knowledge, or you can wreck opponents once you have a full understanding. Basically its as easy or complex as you want to make it. 

Now I have a total of over 40 hours spent on Puyo Puyo. I obviously suck, but even the most hardcore of game moments I have completed, f**k, even completed entire hard games within that time( DMC4 1000G being my most proud :D ) . The truth is, is that you can only play Puyo Puyo on Judgment using the 3 column system to stand any kind of chance at all be it your first attempt or if you're fully aware how the game works. I've spent so much time on it I have obviously tried more than just the column technique and nothing else works as the AI/RNG will not let you strategies in a more in depth way. You obviously love the game, so you know that its all about chain strings which defeat your opponent and the only way you can do that fast enough is with the 3 column technique. I've even tried to play it sort of like Tetris in that I would try to set up as many blocks as I could and try to get that one piece which creates a combo, but with that technique I have never even come close to beating the first opponent. 

It wrecked me for a while and I couldn't even turn the PS4 on for almost a week after reaching 32 hours with no success. Now I have accepted its probably impossible as I clearly cannot get lucky enough to get opponents which don't go bat shit mental with RNG combos. Just a shame the actual main game is only above average otherwise it could still have been fun to get through completion or not. 

I'm sure the actual full game of Puyo Puyo is a blast. I love those sorts of games usually. 

But this is just a mini-game with a ridiculous requirement, and the time even a poor attempt makes is way too long. The difference with Mahjong and this game is how I would describe like this. 

So Mahjong even on the easiest setting can wreck you with 41 tiles remaining which has happened to me on many occasion. But 4 AI opponents is no different to 4 human players as you still don't know what they have or what moves they will make. They can surprise you, cock up, screw you over etc etc. So I think thats why people enjoy Mahjong once they learn it, and it is a great game to play. 

Its also like how the devs made the Arkham games, in that you can win even with the most basic of knowledge, or you can wreck opponents once you have a full understanding. Basically its as easy or complex as you want to make it. 

Now I have a total of over 40 hours spent on Puyo Puyo. I obviously suck, but even the most hardcore of game moments I have completed, f**k, even completed entire hard games within that time( DMC4 1000G being my most proud :D ) . The truth is, is that you can only play Puyo Puyo on Judgment using the 3 column system to stand any kind of chance at all be it your first attempt or if you're fully aware how the game works. I've spent so much time on it I have obviously tried more than just the column technique and nothing else works as the AI/RNG will not let you strategies in a more in depth way. You obviously love the game, so you know that its all about chain strings which defeat your opponent and the only way you can do that fast enough is with the 3 column technique. I've even tried to play it sort of like Tetris in that I would try to set up as many blocks as I could and try to get that one piece which creates a combo, but with that technique I have never even come close to beating the first opponent. 

It wrecked me for a while and I couldn't even turn the PS4 on for almost a week after reaching 32 hours with no success. Now I have accepted its probably impossible as I clearly cannot get lucky enough to get opponents which don't go bat shit mental with RNG combos. Just a shame the actual main game is only above average otherwise it could still have been fun to get through completion or not. 

Nah, like I said, the AI is like medium difficulty at best. Better than someone who has never played the game but not as clever as someone who knows proper chaining methods.

The "3 column system" is not the only way to win seeing as it seems to not work more often than it works. It's not even a real method in Puyo, I think it must've come out of the Puyo community from someone well meaning who wanted to help people brute force this completion point, but it seems to have done more harm than good. To even make this column method work you would need to have quite a lot of experience with the game and have your reflexes in good shape, even then, you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage. 

Honestly, you could've took the 32 hours you've put into brute forcing this and put it into learning the game and probably gotten to level 40 and beyond a dozen times. 

Usually the Yakuza community here and on Gamefaqs gives good advice but advocating this method is like the people in mahjong threads that used to tell people to discard all terminals and honours, never call tiles and press triangle at the start of every turn. It might work for some people eventually but it's not really how you play mahjong is it?