Puyo Puyo Strategy/Tactic?

Surgical_Assault

I didn't get Judgment to learn a random Minigame that I won't play ever again anyway. Puyo Puyo requirements are just ridiculous, so of course I'm going to use a Method that's easier to execute. I can't even Imagine playing normal and winning against the fishguy/bear.

10 hours ago, twothumbedfist said:

Nah, like I said, the AI is like medium difficulty at best. Better than someone who has never played the game but not as clever as someone who knows proper chaining methods.

The "3 column system" is not the only way to win seeing as it seems to not work more often than it works. It's not even a real method in Puyo, I think it must've come out of the Puyo community from someone well meaning who wanted to help people brute force this completion point, but it seems to have done more harm than good. To even make this column method work you would need to have quite a lot of experience with the game and have your reflexes in good shape, even then, you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage. 

Honestly, you could've took the 32 hours you've put into brute forcing this and put it into learning the game and probably gotten to level 40 and beyond a dozen times. 

Usually the Yakuza community here and on Gamefaqs gives good advice but advocating this method is like the people in mahjong threads that used to tell people to discard all terminals and honours, never call tiles and press triangle at the start of every turn. It might work for some people eventually but it's not really how you play mahjong is it? 

You still haven't give an explanation or even a video example of how it should be done. 

And the majority who have cleared this requirement through the 3 column technique will no doubt argue that is not for this tactic then they wouldn't have been able to do it. Even with the 3 columns i still takes around an hour or so to get the final requirement finished. 

And are you having problems with Mahjong?

12 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

You still haven't give an explanation or even a video example of how it should be done. 

And the majority who have cleared this requirement through the 3 column technique will no doubt argue that is not for this tactic then they wouldn't have been able to do it. Even with the 3 columns i still takes around an hour or so to get the final requirement finished. 

And are you having problems with Mahjong?

This is a great starting point: https://puyonexus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1865&sid=f462c7085c6d33ce4702f217f9da4c1c

I love mahjong, I have the plats for every Yakuza game released in the west and mahjong is my favourite bit of side content. 

Anyway, I said what I wanted to say. If people find it therapeutic to call Puyo Puyo a bad game or random or cheap then I won't lose sleep. I've got the plat for Judgment and Puyo Puyo wasn't even the hardest part for me. 

3 hours ago, twothumbedfist said:

This is a great starting point: https://puyonexus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1865&sid=f462c7085c6d33ce4702f217f9da4c1c

I love mahjong, I have the plats for every Yakuza game released in the west and mahjong is my favourite bit of side content. 

Anyway, I said what I wanted to say. If people find it therapeutic to call Puyo Puyo a bad game or random or cheap then I won't lose sleep. I've got the plat for Judgment and Puyo Puyo wasn't even the hardest part for me. 

I read over the guide, thanks for posting. But it has no effect on the Puyo Puyo for Judgment. Sorry man. I can get past the guide being made for the older version of the game, but the fact is the game on Judgment reacts totally differently and you're 100% against RNG and its decision to either go easy or rough as hell. 

Many more attempts, still no progress. Not been past round 10 for many days now. 

EDIT

Had to laugh my arse off earlier today. A pal I met online offered to help as he loves Puyo Puyo. So let him share play (awesome fucking feature by the way) and I was blown away. His first attempt and he hits level 25 and beats it, next is round 26 and that bitch Rulue appears. Next thing he seems to be fucking up all over the place and in moments the game is lost as per usual. 

He messages me that it started lagging all over and fucked him over. Cannot believe that not only is RNG fucking me over, but now my interest is too LOL. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Many more attempts, still no progress. Not been past round 10 for many days now. 

EDIT

Had to laugh my arse off earlier today. A pal I met online offered to help as he loves Puyo Puyo. So let him share play (awesome fucking feature by the way) and I was blown away. His first attempt and he hits level 25 and beats it, next is round 26 and that bitch Rulue appears. Next thing he seems to be fucking up all over the place and in moments the game is lost as per usual. 

He messages me that it started lagging all over and fucked him over. Cannot believe that not only is RNG fucking me over, but now my interest is too LOL. 

Personally for me this was one of those mini games, as many people have put in this thread above, that is almost 100% RNG based. There is some strategy you can employ here, but from my personal experience, it sometimes boils down to hoping the opponent doesn’t get a big combo on you, you get a momentum streak on them, and Rulue appears early as possible. When I did it I think she appeared for me around level 30-ish. I’ve heard people say she comes earlier around early 20’s. Again, another RNG factor. Keep at it. It’s exhausting and underwhelming at first, but that ultra rare platinum will be very worth it!

13 hours ago, KoeichiHero said:

Personally for me this was one of those mini games, as many people have put in this thread above, that is almost 100% RNG based. There is some strategy you can employ here, but from my personal experience, it sometimes boils down to hoping the opponent doesn’t get a big combo on you, you get a momentum streak on them, and Rulue appears early as possible. When I did it I think she appeared for me around level 30-ish. I’ve heard people say she comes earlier around early 20’s. Again, another RNG factor. Keep at it. It’s exhausting and underwhelming at first, but that ultra rare platinum will be very worth it!

Well I let a mate have a go who's really good at it. He joined me on that share play thing which is an epic feature by the way. Sadly it lagged on him when Rulue appeared at 26 and he lost. 

He then had three goes the other day for me, and on the 3rd opponent they just wouldn't let up with combos, it took him ages to beat them but after the next couple of battles he was truly exhausted. This has also happened to me on a number of occasions where lower rounds just get combo heavy. At the moment I have ditched it and gone to the drone races, which whilst they're tough as fuck to do, they're based on skill, so thats all down to the the player to get good rather than hope for luck like in a lot of the mini games. 

Glad to read when others get it done though. Well done lad. 

• 2 months later...

Puro puro was actually fun when I started to figure it out and wins started coming naturally. After round 5, it started to get tedious and I couldn't help myself but lose. Now it's simply exhausting. I think I need to take a break. 

I made it past round 15 so far. 

Edit:

Beat it. It requires luck, quick decision making, and cat-like relexes. This was the toughest thing I have ever done so far. Getting 32 wins was nuts.

Edited by FearElemental
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I used powerpyx's strategy and took me about 15 minutes. My best was about 32 wins.

The strategy:

First before your start pick the LEFT hand arcade machine (the left hand machines in the arcade are easier difficulty or least seem to be)

Pick the FISH dude. (I had trouble against his AI so after I beat him I switched and used him to avoid facing him)

Load up the right half (3 columns) of the screen with everything your are give as fast as you can. Literally quick drop everything. Until you got what looks like this:

Judgment-Shop-Missions-1.jpg

Once your half screen is full PRIORITiZE  making matches with the stuff in the 3 columns. Chain reactions become crazy common

Certain rivals moves fast so be to USE QUICK DROPS (the doctor character really gave me problems)

When your rival gets booted or looks like they are about to, REFILL the columns again, even if the new rival starts, make sure the columns are full

REPEAT.

If the columns are full when you out a rival don't quick drop until the new rival's board pops up or you'll be wasting matches and chains

I was surprised how well this works.I had rounds where the new rival was on screen for about 5 seconds before a quick chain eliminated them.

Well I may have to drop this platinum which pisses me off because I have spent days doing literally everything but I can't for the life of me beat this puyo puyo. I have spent a couple days on this alone now and can get past 12, and I only got that far with extreme luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Never played Puyo Puyo before, but after around 15 attempts, the first few not knowing the 3 column method, I got to 38 and luckily the first 9 characters. The next attempt 35 (I had to go back and get the fish but always forget to check who I’m against, lol).

For me the “trick” was simply to avoid popping balls in the first 3 columns (so not dropping them completely randomly, turning them or hitting the next column along before the previous is finished), and when the third is half way up start looking a few drops ahead for the colour you need in the fourth. It really is just about forward planning. Sometimes the enemy drops a load of greys on you, and you’ll be better of flipping the drops sideways so you can just stack the right colour, but any you have to discard still try to hit only 3s on the left so you can occasionally get combos on that side too.

And, yes, get lucky; luck is definitely a factor, but the luck corridor is not so narrow that it should take as many attempts as people are saying as long as you remember the colours needed to drop near the bottom of the fourth column and adjust as required. If you can break a bottom line but you still have a few to fill in the third column, just break it a bit early. I’m sure many waste the chance to hit combos just mindlessly filling the third all the way up then get caught out.

Or maybe I just got really really lucky, twice.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

• 2 months later...

Quick question guys as I'm thinking about starting Judgment. What is the actual Puyo Puyo requirement? Do I have to get 30 wins in a row and that's it, done? Do I have to beat every opponent that is selectable? Or play Puyo Puyo one time? What do you have to actually do?

3 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Quick question guys as I'm thinking about starting Judgment. What is the actual Puyo Puyo requirement? Do I have to get 30 wins in a row and that's it, done? Do I have to beat every opponent that is selectable? Or play Puyo Puyo one time? What do you have to actually do?

The big requirement is for beating each opponent. The last one, Rulue, only appears on level 25+, so this means getting a minimum of 25 wins in a row. Problem is though, the opponents you face are randomly selected, so if you're unlucky, you could be well into the level 30's before she actually appears.

Puyo Puyo was taken out of the PS5 version though, so you can play that version instead if you want an easier time.

16 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

The big requirement is for beating each opponent. The last one, Rulue, only appears on level 25+, so this means getting a minimum of 25 wins in a row. Problem is though, the opponents you face are randomly selected, so if you're unlucky, you could be well into the level 30's before she actually appears.

Puyo Puyo was taken out of the PS5 version though, so you can play that version instead if you want an easier time.

How do you know though when you've faced everyone? From what I've seen it doesn't let you know who you've faced. Also, I haven't seen a trophy that says beat all Puyo Puyo opponents. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

2 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

How do you know though when you've faced everyone? From what I've seen it doesn't let you know who you've faced. Also, I haven't seen a trophy that says beat all Puyo Puyo opponents. 

There are only 10 opponents, so it's pretty easy to tell which ones you have left to beat. You can view how many you have left in one of the menus. You're pretty much guaranteed to have faced them all by the time you're good enough to beat Rulue anyway. Just keep in mind that the character you choose to play as won't appear as an opponent. And there's not a trophy specifically for Puyo Puyo, but it ties into getting 100% completion in KamuroGo.

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

There are only 10 opponents, so it's pretty easy to tell which ones you have left to beat. You can view how many you have left in one of the menus. You're pretty much guaranteed to have faced them all by the time you're good enough to beat Rulue anyway. Just keep in mind that the character you choose to play as won't appear as an opponent. And there's not a trophy specifically for Puyo Puyo, but it ties into getting 100% completion in KamuroGo.

Okay, so Rulue is the final opponent and she only shows up from level 25 onwards randomly right. So they removed this from the PS5 version,  did they put anything in it's place or just removed it completely. 

1 minute ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Okay, so Rulue is the final opponent and she only shows up from level 25 onwards randomly right. So they removed this from the PS5 version,  did they put anything in it's place or just removed it completely. 

They removed Puyo Puyo and the Pinball minigame and replaced them with Out Run and Virtua Fighter 2.

2 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Oh no! I'm not keen on Outrun, please say that isn't hard. 

I can't really speak to the difficulty of the Out Run requirements because I've only played the PS4 version. ? They were pretty easy in the other Yakuza games though.

On 7/6/2021 at 5:21 PM, Cryogenicide_X said:

Also, Rulue isn’t the “final” opponent, she’s just the rarest in my opinion. The enemies you face are selected randomly, and I’m almost certain in saying Rulue will be your last opponent to beat for the requirements for the 100% trophy. But as many people have said in this thread, if you’ve made it to 25+ you’re pretty likely to get her to face you. Patience is a huge MUST here. 

I'm soon to finish the game and start the tedious 100% cleanup, thought I'd give this a little try to see what the fuss is about. After only an hour, maybe 2, I despise it already. A run can be going brilliantly then out of absolutely nowhere half the screen fills with white balls and your lengthy faultless run is gone in the blink of an eye. 

I'm sure there's skilled puyo puyo players that can manage it simply enough but I do not want to get that invested in a little arcade game I'm never going to play again, so I'm at the mercy of 30 minute perfect favourable rng. Brilliant. Fuck this game. 

1 hour ago, bluemoon1987 said:

I'm soon to finish the game and start the tedious 100% cleanup, thought I'd give this a little try to see what the fuss is about. After only an hour, maybe 2, I despise it already. A run can be going brilliantly then out of absolutely nowhere half the screen fills with white balls and your lengthy faultless run is gone in the blink of an eye. 

I'm sure there's skilled puyo puyo players that can manage it simply enough but I do not want to get that invested in a little arcade game I'm never going to play again, so I'm at the mercy of 30 minute perfect favourable rng. Brilliant. Fuck this game. 

The best advice which I can give is use the 3 column method. It's the best way to clear these puyo puyo stages.