Puyo Puyo Strategy/Tactic?

Surgical_Assault

18 hours ago, ShadyWARcotix said:

The best advice which I can give is use the 3 column method. It's the best way to clear these puyo puyo stages.

Yeah cheers. having never played a puyo game or knowing what it was doing really I immediately tried this method, I had one run where I got to the high teens with it and a few half decent ones since. I've not played it enough yet to be in a position to curse it as much as others I was just lamenting the way one big drop of white balls that you have no control over can completely obliterate a 20+ minute run that has been going flawlessly up until that point. 

Edit. Had a run earlier that went well I noticed I was in the 20's and started to play a bit sloppily but got to 25 with almost no trouble, had luck on my side and got rulue on the 25th win, had a decent board, just keep doing what I've been doing and this horrible thing is done... I proceeded to shit the bed from a strong position and fail. Just my luck. 

Edited by bluemoon1987

9 minutes ago, bluemoon1987 said:

Yeah cheers. having never played a puyo game or knowing what it was doing really I immediately tried this method, I had one run where I got to the high teens with it and a few half decent ones since. I've not played it enough yet to be in a position to curse it as much as others I was just lamenting the way one big drop of white balls that you have no control over can completely obliterate a 20+ minute run that has been going flawlessly up until that point. 

Yeah same here. I just heard it's like "Dr Mario" but never played it for myself.  I have an obvious but important tipp:

If you make your last move and win a stage. Don't rush those bubbles to come down to fast before the new stage/enemy is fully loaded. So you get a new combo and destroy your enemy instantly when the new stage begins (still luck based) and I heard (can't remember anymore) it's the best to play with the fish character because he was the hardest enemy but I believe it's still random how hard your enemies are.

Wanted to point that out. There is nothing more which I used for myself to win these stages. Hopefully I could help a little. Good luck!

Update for anybody that struggles with this in the future after finally doing it.

Its literally a matter of endurance. Use the method widely recommended with the 3 stack and just mindless play. I questioned it when I wasn't seeing gradual improvements in what level I was getting but that's the point, you won't see a gradual improvement, the level you die on will fluctuate heavily from a 25 win to a 1 the very next go and there's notuch you can do about it, once the AI get a good trash dump on you, it snowballs and you don't have the room or time to fix it with this method so you're completely relying on getting on top of them very early. Stick a podcast or TV show on whilst you're doing it and don't really think about it, you're at the mercy of rng regardless of how good you are so as long as you're not making stupid mistakes there's not much thought needed so long as you can play quickly.

Always maintain a 3 full stack as much as possible quickly filling it in any order and then you want to match the bottom 1/2 colours of the third column to try and trigger a combo and then refill everytime you do. If you haven't got the right colour puyo, don't go too high up, just stack the colours in the far left side in as close to a 3 stack as possible so they're easy to manage later and concentrate on matching that 3rd column. if you try and go too elaborate, you'll inevitably get a cascade of trash puyos and you'll be screwed so keep it basic. 

The only thing you really need to learn is when an instant match on the 3rd column  isn't available and you have to stack, you want to try and stack to consistently get 2 combos otherwise the AI will likely get on top of you if you're not constantly screwing with their board. To do that, set up a block of 3 put another colour on top followed by the same colour as the 3 block and then you want to match the middle colour. That will give you a simple 2 combo whilst you look for the big combo. This should be your basic move when you're not hitting the column, if you wait too long setting up the big combo the AI will screw you, you have about 30 seconds from the start of each level to establish a clear dominance to snowball it otherwise you're just asking to get screwed. 

It didn't take me all that long in the end compared to what others have said but doesn't stop me recognising how bullshit this is. Mahjong, you can learn and it becomes fairly simple, VF5, just pick Vanessa and spam circle for an easy win, the drone races aren't nearly as hard as suggested when you've got the right setup, a couple of attempts is all I needed for the trickier races to learn how to take certain corners and tight spots but puyo puyo is a piece of shit. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the last post, it's really not too bad, the 2 points I'd like to share is too take your time once the first 3 columns are placed,and if you do get a bunch of the grey puyos dumped on you, don't panic, and again take your time!!! I just got this done last night, it really is not too bad.....I'm my opinion!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes its not nearly as scary as this thread made it out to be.  I've platinumed Yakuza 0-6 and I was worried about my streak after reading through this so I decided to take on Puyo Puyo as soon as it was available.

Thanks to the kind tips from the folks in this thread I managed to complete it in under 1 hour.  I lost on match 30 but luckily got Rulue spawn before then.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to share some input since I recently managed to beat Puyo Puyo on JE. As widely suggested, do go with the 3 towers method, but do not play mindlessly as some have stated, you might make some progress but in the long run it's not gonna work. You can't afford to make stupid moves even with this method, it's either you get lucky or you make decent moves, as soon as the luck stops playing you'll have to play as any legit Tetris player would normally play, there's no other way to go about this. It might sound kinda obvious, but personally when I first read this thread the posts gave me the weird idea that I could somehow manage to pull it off without thinking too much into it... and it worked for a while, matter fact I got to face Rulue after not even a couple hours of mindless playing, but I could not beat her because I mostly relied on the right columns, and there's not much you can do when those columns are full of crap. You can't do this without putting effort into it, and that effort is not just the time you're willing to waste, you need to think fast and good, don't think the right columns will save your ass at any time because it's simply not going to happen (not everytime at least). This is also why I would strongly advise against playing nonstop until you do it, take very long breaks and don't stress it for more than 2 hours, you're not going to make good moves after 2 hours of attempts. 

Well I did end up giving up after a couple of weeks, apparently my luck is just terrible because I could never reach the last 2 I needed. Not even sure I reached the 20s, just days of grinding lost. I even tried to find some help using share play (I have great internet) but apparently no one wants to do that shit twice lol

I reached Rulue twice at this point and lost to her both times... I'm so frustrated right now. It took me lots of tries to even reach her both times and then I lost to HER. That's the most frustrating thing: If you finally reach your opponent, but then those grey Puyo's stack up and you already know you did it all for nothing. God fucking damn it.

Edit: And I finally did it! I honestly didn't even do anything differently... I think I just tried to be as quick as possible to prevent the enemies from getting any big combos in. So in the end, it was quite a bit of luck that I managed to keep doing combos. Just keep at it, use the fish and try to not waste your combos when the enemy is already defeated. Use the short breaks to build your pillars again or get some blocks out of the way.

Just happy I'm done with this stuff now... I did all of the other Yakuza platinum trophies, but I think this was the hardest thing I had to do so far...

Edited by Marloges
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of this challenge right now. The 'building three columns on the right' approach is actually solid for me, but the trade-off is that it ramps up the RNG heavily. Having played Puyo Puyo before, I also think the RNG is a little off in this version in general though but I can't quite place my finger on it.

The most frustrating thing was accidentally triggering a combo chain at a point where the opponents were switching out, it felt almost too slow at points and I do really think you could win alot easier if the switch-outs weren't so out of sync with the speed and pacing of the rest of the game

So far i've spent 3-4 hours of the three columns strat and i've completed every challenge now, bar the notorious 'beat all opponents'. Before I finished for the night last night, I got to wave 20 and i'm now at 8/10 complete.

One thing I realised after getting the Yakuza 0-6 platinums - accepting that most of these things will take 4-8 hours to get done and freeing yourself of frustration. Literally everything is doable with perseverance and accepting the hours some of this stuff will require. It can be monotonous (especially stuff like Mahjong), but I really recommend podcasts, movies, audiobooks etc.

• Like 1

On 3.9.2021 at 8:14 PM, Marloges said:

I reached Rulue twice at this point and lost to her both times... I'm so frustrated right now. It took me lots of tries to even reach her both times and then I lost to HER. That's the most frustrating thing: If you finally reach your opponent, but then those grey Puyo's stack up and you already know you did it all for nothing. God fucking damn it.

Edit: And I finally did it! I honestly didn't even do anything differently... I think I just tried to be as quick as possible to prevent the enemies from getting any big combos in. So in the end, it was quite a bit of luck that I managed to keep doing combos. Just keep at it, use the fish and try to not waste your combos when the enemy is already defeated. Use the short breaks to build your pillars again or get some blocks out of the way.

Just happy I'm done with this stuff now... I did all of the other Yakuza platinum trophies, but I think this was the hardest thing I had to do so far...

Congrats, I gave up on this BS after 3 hours because I hated every single second of it.

By the way, I just saw that you are already playing lost judgment. Can you confirm the existence of puyo puyo in this game? Would be a real mood killer for me.

On 13.9.2021 at 11:30 AM, GoDBoss173 said:

Congrats, I gave up on this BS after 3 hours because I hated every single second of it.

By the way, I just saw that you are already playing lost judgment. Can you confirm the existence of puyo puyo in this game? Would be a real mood killer for me.

On 15.9.2021 at 2:02 AM, KoeichiHero said:

I need to know this too so I’m prepared with the biggest bottle of headache medicine available from Costco. Lol. 

No Puyo Puyo in Lost Judgment, so no worries there! The PS5 remaster of the first Judgment also has no Puyo Puyo if you didn't know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I finally beat the Puyopuyo requirement not even an hour ago and I have come up with a slow and steady method if someone is REALLY struggling like I was. Unfortunately you will need a way to capture and record your gameplay. Either via capture card or through Twitch. The idea is that you combine the 3-tower strategy and this to get the best effects. What you wanna do is record yourself playing the game and pause whenever your screen starts clogging up. After that stop recording and check the moment right before you paused. You will have a screen with the next two puyo stacks and can plan out your next moves in detail while the game is paused.

I personally get really stressed when I reach about wave 20-25 and I start choking hard whenever Rulue becomes available because of the massive time investment to even get to that part. I asked my friend to record my stream on Discord and send me screenshots of the moment before the pause screen to speed up the process. After wave 25 I started pausing every 3 turns to be extra safe. I realize that this process can be extremely slow, especially if you're doing it alone, but after skimming the forum and seeing some people still struggling after countless hours with this, I feel like the process that I described could be faster for the completion check overall.

Again, I only skimmed the forums and I didn't see anyone else mention this tip while it finally helped me snag the completion mark for arguably the hardest challenge in the game. Hopefully this method helps someone else somewhere down the line. Good luck! ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...