Thoughts?

Thrintus

I appreciate the art style and the explored themes, there's plenty of room for speculation and the three endings are all wonderfully messed up. Minor issue, however: as a game it really, REALLY doesn't work. There's plenty of backtracking, the environment is very, very repetitive as are the monster designs and the gameplay is the dullest I've experienced in quite a while. Not to mention cheap. It's not that it's impossible to combine short artsy, experimental projects with enjoyable gameplay (pick any thatgamecompany game).

I think this would have worked a lot better as an animated short. What did you think of it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrintus said:

I appreciate the art style and the explored themes, there's plenty of room for speculation and the three endings are all wonderfully messed up. Minor issue, however: as a game it really, REALLY doesn't work. There's plenty of backtracking, the environment is very, very repetitive as are the monster designs and the gameplay is the dullest I've experienced in quite a while. Not to mention cheap. It's not that it's impossible to combine short artsy, experimental projects with enjoyable gameplay (pick any thatgamecompany game).

I think this would have worked a lot better as an animated short. What did you think of it?

I think it was supposed to provide an experience, rather than a strict gameplay driver narrative. It's great though, I can play a game for the story even if the gameplay is dull and repetitive, but not the other way around. I can recommend to you some very fine horror games if you'd like.

19 hours ago, HaserPL said:

I think it was supposed to provide an experience, rather than a strict gameplay driver narrative. It's great though, I can play a game for the story even if the gameplay is dull and repetitive, but not the other way around. I can recommend to you some very fine horror games if you'd like.

Yeah, but wanting to provide an experience instead of a narrative is no carte blanche for boredom and frustration. As I said, there's multiple indiegames that provide a beautiful experience such as Journey, The First Tree, Valley, Unfinished Swan, etc. and still have decent gameplay. The whole experience was a drag to me, and the initial fascination wore off after about 10 minutes.

• 1 year later...