What are the actual requirements of the Vegetarian trophy?

I've seen conflicting evidence from various achievement websites on what is actually required for the vegetarian trophy. Some say that even eating meat/grubs/nightcrawlers will void the trophy, but others say the opposite, and even that animal vs animal kills are OK.

Anyone have any insight into what is allowed and not during the first 20 days?

Edited by Aeir_

Animals killing animals is a definite no-no.  If there are multiple animal types on an island when you land, immediately depart and keep heading down-river.

As far as I remember, grubs and nightcrawlers are okay.  My recollection is that I brought a full stash of jerky with me into the run where I did Vegetarian.

I got this after my long endless playthrough. Made sure I had like 40 salted jerky on the dog. Then I died and started a new endless playthrough, found a church and skipped 20 days eating the jerky and drinking rainwater.

So by the definition of "not eating meat", that trophy should not have popped. Yet as I did not kill any animals, it did. So I'm 100% sure you can eat any jerky you find despite it being meat but can't say anything about bugs.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I have a stack of jerky prepped for this run but didn't want to spend the time getting to day 20 if jerky would have voided it. Glad to hear that jerky is okay. I've already eaten grubs and nightcrawlers on my current run, so I'll report back whether or not I get the trophy. 

Edited by Aeir_

3 hours ago, Aeir_ said:

Thanks for the insight everyone. I have a stack of jerky prepped for this run but didn't want to spend the time getting to day 20 if jerky would have voided it. Glad to hear that jerky is okay. I've already eaten grubs and nightcrawlers on my current run, so I'll report back whether or not I get the trophy. 

Grubs, jerky, nightcrawlers are all fine. Just got the trophy yesterday eating all 3. Good luck.

Edited by Lithium_Lemon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just confirming Lithium_Lemon's post above. I think the trigger for failing the requirements is the act of an animal dying and has nothing to do with what you actually consume. I did not try eating cooked meat (carried over from a previous run), but I assume that would be OK as well. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Aeir_

• 2 years later...

So while going for this trophy I thought I should check whether any animal killing another voids this trophy, since this can't really be controlled by the player (snake spawning next to rabbits, etc...). And it doesn't void it! You can have any animal kill any other animal and even cook and eat its meat. This is what I did and got the trophy at the start of the 20th day :)

I believe the same applies for 'Animal Friend', as well, but haven't tested it.

Edited by YairGOW