PS4 "Chirping" sound

Hotrod_felix

Anyone ever noticed a "cheep" sound when using either the Fat, Slim or Pro Ps4 console?

Sometimes my console just gives this chirping sound while playing, regardless of the functioning of the fan, which made me discard heating issues. This happened to my old PS4 Fat and now on my PS4Pro

Noticed this after I've changed my HD to a Seagate 2tb-5400 on march 2015 ? (yeah, been a while). Has the HD's some kind of way to send "signs" when they're about to blow up?? hehe

ps: This is not related to auto-eject. Mine never had this problem. 

Thanks in advance!

yeah people say PS4 Slim is a quiet system, but i have noticed ever since i have had mine that its made sounds which had me very anxious at first, until someone told me that it would be more concerning if it made no sound at all. maybe people mean that its more quiet compared to the original, i wouldn't know.

so i just try to keep head phones in my controller and try not to hear any sound it makes or i would be very nervous and creating topics like this asking about every sound it makes.(which i have lol.)

Im very picky with sounds, especially driving, like you hear creeks and loose plastice rubbing vibration sounds everytime you go over a bump or broken roads. But when it comes to the Ps4, it seems normal..even lately my fan sounds like its always in overdrive..but that even seems normal. idk what is wrong, something is wrong right? why cant Sony use SILENT fannnnnns!? They are def. out there! I know because I built PCs!!! damn it Sony!

21 hours ago, RJP_X said:

yeah people say PS4 Slim is a quiet system, but i have noticed ever since i have had mine that its made sounds which had me very anxious at first, until someone told me that it would be more concerning if it made no sound at all. maybe people mean that its more quiet compared to the original, i wouldn't know.

so i just try to keep head phones in my controller and try not to hear any sound it makes or i would be very nervous and creating topics like this asking about every sound it makes.(which i have lol.)

haha same tatics here. headphones and leave it all for the best of luck

16 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Im very picky with sounds, especially driving, like you hear creeks and loose plastice rubbing vibration sounds everytime you go over a bump or broken roads. But when it comes to the Ps4, it seems normal..even lately my fan sounds like its always in overdrive..but that even seems normal. idk what is wrong, something is wrong right? why cant Sony use SILENT fannnnnns!? They are def. out there! I know because I built PCs!!! damn it Sony!

indeed. my car is like a drum while I'm driving ?. My PS4Pro is much quieter than my old fat, but still loud sometimes, seems overdriving, but everybody says it's normal, just the fan doing its job. The best is to leave it on a open space and dustfree if possible

22 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Mine's been doing that for years now, it'll click and then make a single beep sometimes, even on the stock HDD before I replaced it

This is my doubt too. My current 2TB-5400 HDD is a samsung, which I replaced over the original seagate. Don't know if is a hdd pattern. Regarding the temperature, once I've heard that there's a red light that turns the system on overheating, luckily never been through ?

On 6/29/2019 at 3:23 AM, Hotrod_felix said:

Sometimes my console just gives this chirping sound while playing, regardless of the functioning of the fan, which made me discard heating issues. This happened to my old PS4 Fat and now on my PS4Pro

Usually chirping sounds in electronics are related to power supply or fan (cooling) issues. The power supply is internal in the PS4, so it's not easy to pinpoint if the issue is there.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1

never ran into something like this with my ps4, but I remember my ps2 way back used to make sounds like a bunch of mice doing some conversations under its hood when reading the discs... turns out the compound that on the gears and the plastic piece that help the lens to move back and forth run dry and needed to be replaced.

On 04/07/2019 at 11:26 PM, yellowwindow7 said:

never ran into something like this with my ps4, but I remember my ps2 way back used to make sounds like a bunch of mice doing some conversations under its hood when reading the discs... turns out the compound that on the gears and the plastic piece that help the lens to move back and forth run dry and needed to be replaced.

Exaclty as the ps1 when reading the discs...

On 04/07/2019 at 11:21 PM, cris3f said:

Usually chirping sounds in electronics are related to power supply or fan (cooling) issues. The power supply is internal in the PS4, so it's not easy to pinpoint if the issue is there.

Been thinking to change the hdd for the standard 1TB that came with the console and check

If you're getting the same sound I am...then it's not a good thing. Your HDD is on it's way out the door (as is mine). It's the little metal pin touching the spinning metal disc...you're hearing metal scrape metal for a split second. 

You can hear this sound a lot better if you put your ear up to the part of the console right over top the HDD bay...that chirping will become very distinct as a metal scrape. 

Mine has been doing it since about April of this year after 4 years of use. Outside of putting the original 500GB back in (replaced it with a 2TB Seagate)...I cant really afford another 2TB right now, so I'm just getting all the use out of it that I can. 

Edited by Viper

On 06/07/2019 at 3:08 PM, Viper said:

If you're getting the same sound I am...then it's not a good thing. Your HDD is on it's way out the door (as is mine). It's the little metal pin touching the spinning metal disc...you're hearing metal scrape metal for a split second. 

You can hear this sound a lot better if you put your ear up to the part of the console right over top the HDD bay...that chirping will become very distinct as a metal scrape. 

Mine has been doing it since about April of this year after 4 years of use. Outside of putting the original 500GB back in (replaced it with a 2TB Seagate)...I cant really afford another 2TB right now, so I'm just getting all the use out of it that I can. 

Actually is a beeping sound, quite like a chirp but a "mechanical" one haha (man, if I could guess when it's going to do the sound I'd record it). It's quite standard like an electronic input, just like the ps4 startup sound but quieter and longer, not metal scrapes

22 hours ago, Hotrod_felix said:

Actually is a beeping sound, quite like a chirp but a "mechanical" one haha (man, if I could guess when it's going to do the sound I'd record it). It's quite standard like an electronic input, just like the ps4 startup sound but quieter and longer, not metal scrapes

I don't think we have the same sound then. Because for me...just sitting here playing a game it sounds like a mechanical chirp or a quick beep noise...but when I put my ear up to my PS4 the sound is far more distinct...you can hear the metal pin hit for a split second. 

Now my HDD also does a single beep from time to time that lasts for maybe 2 seconds at the most.. That's been reported as either one of two things...either the HDD is switching platters or it's not getting enough power (which never made much sense to me...it wouldn't work at all if it wasn't getting the proper amount of power). 

Yes, that is Coil Whine. I got it with my PS 4 Pro from Day 1, when the PS 4 Pro is quiet. But mostly the Noise is loud and the Fan Noise is less annoying. You can choose: Quiet Fan but then you hear the Coil Whine. It has nothing to do with the HDD, then you would hear a Clicking Sound. Every PS 4 Pro has Coil Whine less or more, but with the loud fan you can't hear it normally. Sony saved Money and we have Coil Whine, thanks Sony.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 1