Poll: Is Cheating In Gaming Okay?

damon8r351

Is cheating in gaming okay?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Is cheating in gaming okay?

There's a difference between everything and browsing this community in the last year some people here think 

- guides are cheating

- boosting is cheating (this one a lot of games have a report boosting option.)

- share play is cheating

Whatever happened to the fun of gaming when did it become this become political. 

I voted yes because some of my best memories of the GTA series is using the all the weapons and infinite health code and going absolutely nuts. 

• Like 3

Anyone can play as they wish as long as that does not means damaging someone else's experience. Proving that someone boosted, or used a glitch, are things that are almost impossible to proof (you could easily go for a plan and make the timestamps look legit) and for such reason in my opinion this site has made such things as not flaggable/allowed... and is a very good thing. Try to close your eyes and think for a sec how much the psnp community would become more toxic if we had to prove who used this glitch, who boosted this trophy etc.

The LGC/CFC guy is a perfect proof of how much toxic, dumb and fully retarded this community could be if the cheating camp would be extended to the things mentioned above and things like using guides/vids, aim-assist etc.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Guys, as someone who has had his controller unfairly unplugged while having a competitive multiplayer race on Sonic Adventure 2 as a young, scrappy child, I can answer this question in one word:

No.

So, if you were playing a LEGO game, you would not use a Red Brick multiplier? I mean, the game itself calls it a 'cheat'.

It's a core gameplay function, but sure, there is nothing stopping you from grinding those 20 billion studs by replaying levels hundreds of times instead.

I am of course, using some hyperbole here, but since you said categorically 'No', then I think the example is reasonable.

This topic, however is not. I'm not answering it, because this type of question is not black and white. Without context, the poll cannot be answered. And please don't give me 'cheating is cheating' as an answer, because without defining what you consider cheating, you can't answer whether or not you would do it.

• Like 4

I say yes it is. I mean cheating to have enemies with big heads and or you run around with a chicken gun that shoots eggs as ammo and it makes your enemies blow up into blood and gore is just fun as hell. I only say yes as I take this poll is aimed to gaming as in games as a whole. I mean I always say yes. As cheats can bring new and sometimes cool things you can't do in games.

I love cheats in any game and if it helps with trophies and it can let you earn it so be it. I am fine with it as at the end of it games are meant to be fun and if you have to make yourself play the way someone thinks is the best and or do it the way they say or else it is wrong then it is not a game. It becomes a job/ boring. Sure I might get hate but think about it. if you use glitches in games to unlock a trophy abit more easy like say in the jak games for the orbs you use the glitch to earn it that way your basically cheating and so I say who cares.

If, we are talking here online games like say. Cod black ops 4 or something like that then no it does not as your fighting players and it would be just a waste of time as at that point you got to ask yourself. why buy it and not play the online game fair like everyone else. However, people still use glitches in them games to help themselves like duping items and so on and yeah. This is a double sided sword. it has good and bad points but I think if it is just a simple game like a single player one I clam it as fine.

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 1

While many may consider this like a libertarian question, where you think people should be able to do what they want to do, I think it's sort of a contradiction to cheat at a game. Are you actually playing a game if you cheat? To play a game, you must meet certain goals within the constraints of the rules, otherwise, you didn't actually play the game, but you just did something that may remind you of playing the game.

Edited by MMDE

I'd say generally that it's OK as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. Cheating in competitive online affects other people and so does cheating on leaderboards, even if it's for a single-player game. Cheating in co-operative play? Well, ask your partner in that case. If you want to cheat to beat a hard single-player game, do so but you do not deserve to be credited on any leaderboard or a site like this.

Multiplayer: no

Boosting is fine. It's the same as if you were playing with a group of friends.

Single player with trophies: no

In-game exploits or glitches: fine.

Single player without trophies: sure why not.

Basically no cheating in stuff that can be considered competitive.

Edited by Wavergray
  • Like 1

The way I see it, if there's an non-patched glitch in the game, the player is well allowed to make use of it. It's the developers' fault for not preventing the glitch(es). Personally, I've used custom mutations (BO4) as well as the difficulty glitch on the Uncharted games, because they were accessible to me. Glitches are part of the game. Now, if someone cheats by using mods (menus, gamesaves, modified updates, etc.), then yes, that's not okay. If people are using menus on Call of Duty to ruin lobbies, that's not okay, but if someone's using a glitch on multiplayer/blackout to score easy wins, I blame the developer. 

• Like 1

I won't press yes or not because how you define cheating? What exactly you mean by cheating?

For example, using another apps in background on PC to play and win multiplayer games is cheating for most of players, but for many non-trophy hunters ( so majority of players base) boosting online trophies it could be called as cheating, but in same cases it's not possible to get that hard trophy without boosting.

So this poll is a little bit useless.

Unless you redefine your poll once again.

Cheating is defined my the person, place, or thing that establishes the rules of whatever you're cheating on. What's considered "cheating" in one game may not at all be considered cheating in another game. So if you decide to type in a cheat in GTA, then it may disable certain trophies or alter gameplay permanently. If you decide to cheat trophy timestamps, you may not appear on the leaderboard on trophy sites anymore. If you cheat in Call of Duty multiplayer, you may get your account banned from the games servers. Just depends on what that game or services establishes as their own rules and if someone is willing to break them or not for their own personal gain

The question is vague, but is cheating in gaming okay? Sure why not, if that's what someone wants to do with their games. It might provide a different outcome for them in their games and they may have to deal with being found out in breaking the rules in some sort of way. It's entirely their choice though :dunno:

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

I’m completely fine with cheats, but only in Single Player games or other games that one can experience himself, since it’s up to the player to change/modify/tweak the experience at his liking. If they want to apply cheats like infinite ammo or lives, they can. If they want to mod the games with overpowered weapons, over-the-top skins and characters, flying or immortality, they can. If they want to exploit glitches, they can. It’s completely fine for people to customize and vary their experience, after playing the games the same way over and over. 

However, I completely despise anyone who cheats in Online Multiplayer environments. I cannot stand anyone who exploits glitches or hacks in order to gain unfair advantages over others, ruining the experience for others who want to play fairly. All of those cheaters must get punished and permanently banned. I think everyone agrees on this one.