Poll: Is Cheating In Gaming Okay?

damon8r351

Is cheating in gaming okay?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Is cheating in gaming okay?

Well, this is pretty simple. If it only impacts yourself then it's fine, if it impacts anybody else (i.e if there are competitive elements or it ruins gameplay elements such as difficulty for other) it is not fine. That includes anything that impacts trophies. They can be compared and have a rarity level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majob said:

Not at all, a variety of games exist with multiple rule sets depending on how you want to play and videogames can be no different. By that logic, does changing the difficulty mean you aren't playing the same game anymore? A different set of rules gets handed to the AI in those instances.

Yes, technically you aren't playing the same game.

• Like 1

In single player games it's fine in MP it's not.

Even if it affects SP trophies I don't care. Go ahead and get them any way you can (aside from just hacking them, of course). I used the cheat of simply hitting X to skip most of the levels in one of those Ratalaika games and I don't care. I did it twice and I'd do it again if the opportunity presented itself. Those games are just quick trophy grabs anyway. But even on real games, hell yeah I cheated the Crushing trophies in uncharted, I ain't got time to be dying over and over just cuz the enemies are so OP. Same with Bloodborn, I used the dupe trick to level up like crazy. Did it affect anyone but me? Nope.

If the game allows you do it, I don't consider it cheating. If something is available to almost everyone, I don't consider using that resource as cheating. I feel you're allowed to do anything you want with a game if you play it in a vacuum; don't harm the non-cheats, don't partake in leaderboards of any kind and be honest about your cheating escapades. If you full on cheat on a multiplayer game, you're a scumbag. 

Guides

Guides are available to everyone and you don't instantly 100% a game by reading them. You have to apply all the knowledge you learn from them in the game and many trophies require skill in game to earn. Guides can make games shorter by giving the locations of collectables, telling you the most efficient way to do a repetitive task, you don't have to do another playthrough because of a missable trophy, ect. Some trophies have very vague descriptions that say very little about how to earn them. 

In Game cheats

If the disable trophies, they're pointless to use in my opinion. If the game has no problem with you using them, I feel like they're far to use because everyone has the choice to use them or not. In some games, the cheats are locked and require skill to open anyway. You're a scumbag if you don't be honest about using them.

Using glitchs/exploits/cheese

Glitches and exploits are part of the game, everyone is allowed to use them if they wish. Using glitches in multiplayer to gain a unfair advantage is a ver scummy thing to do. Glitches and exploits are usually not international and do get patched out developers in most cases; I feel down-patching or playing a un-patched version of a game is scummy but not cheating. I personally don't us glitches or exploits very often. I don't go looking for cheese and exploits, I stumble across it myself. 

Boosting

Boosting is not cheating. I feel boosting is a little cheap but I feel like it does more good then harm. Games can have empty multiplayer modes, making it impossible to earn have the chance to earn trophies 100% legitimately; Boosting is a good solution for those cases. Some trophies are also borderline impossible to earn in a normal multiplayer match. Boosting does take away the game skill required to earn trophies but getting a organized group together is a challenge.

I don't consider using multiple consoles for "Self boosting" cheating either. It's a bit unfair but you trade $¥£ to not have to worry about finding a boosting partner. It requires a lot of skill to manage multiple consoles at once. I do this with my two Vitas sometimes.

Using turbo conrollers

I don't care if you use these or not. I rarely find myself in a situation where having one would be nice. Metal Gear Solid 2 and Peace Walker would have been easier but Ocelot knows if you're using "auto fire". 

Modifing the game

Mods that make your Skyrim Companion your favorite anime husbando, add content in a game, make the graphics better and do anything that could be considered cheating is alright. Modifing a multiplayer game to give yourself a unfair advantage is not acceptable.

Not doing it yourself

I feel it defeats the purpose of playing a game if you don't overcome the challenges yourself, but I see nothing cheat y about it. Most humans have the charisma and/or financial backing to recruit fellow humans to their cause. Having someone do a hard section of a game for you or help you isn't cheating. Don't be a scumbag by claiming their work as your own and give them credit for helping you.

Trophy teams also exist, I haven't actually encountered one yet. The concept seems like it would be cheating but it's not on PSNP. I don't actually have a problem with their existence if they're up front about being a team and say how many members are part of it.

Playing easy games for solely for trophies

It's not cheating but it's very scummy; if you want to be very high on the leaderboards, you're forced to take part in the practice if you want to be competitive.

What is considered cheating and not cheating is different for everyone. Most people generally agree that you're allowed to do whatever you when your actions only affect you, but you better follow the rules online. Ultimately, your gaming experiences don't become any less impressive because somebody had an easier time.

8 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

Uhm, you can't really just do any of that, it's illegal, widely considered wrong and a bizarre comparison to make as well. I don't think comparing whatever people do in a videogame to full on criminal activity is really a good idea xD, unless you want them treated similarly and have using an aim bot or boosting a game be a criminal offence with jail time lol.

Yes it's all illegal and wildly considered wrong but people still do it. Same thing with cheating in video games. People will still do it. That's the only comparison I'm making in this instance. So again in my honest opinion, I say cheat in whatever games you want. Who cares?!  

4 hours ago, Crimsonfire44 said:

Yes it's all illegal and wildly considered wrong but people still do it. Same thing with cheating in video games. People will still do it. That's the only comparison I'm making in this instance. So again in my honest opinion, I say cheat in whatever games you want. Who cares?!  

43 minutes ago, Melty said:

It's fine for single player, because gaming is all about fun so if you have fun with cheats then so be it, but if you playing with others it shouldn't be done.

Yeah but you shouldn’t cheat for trophies, regardless if it’s single player or multiplayer. 

A modded console or using a save file to pop trophies is cheating. I don’t consider boosting cheating. 

People get mixed up on whether a glitch can be considered cheating. It’s something that the developers overlook, and most games older than two years old they’re not going to bother with them. 

Plenty of instances where glitches and exploits are patched via updates. Some glitches get left in. Some reduce the time by dozens of hours, like the duping glitch in Demon’s Souls. 

Are we cheaters for using exploits? Most of us are trophy veterans and we probably did use exploits in a few games. Ultimately it just boils down to what we classify as cheating.

I don’t consider boosting cheating per se but it is a rather ridiculous practice.  Some of it is necessitated by empty servers but a lot of it is done to bypass the difficulty of certain skill-based online trophies.  The things people do to hear that ping!

On 6/30/2019 at 5:58 PM, Spaz said:

Yeah but you shouldn’t cheat for trophies, regardless if it’s single player or multiplayer. 

A modded console or using a save file to pop trophies is cheating. I don’t consider boosting cheating. 

People get mixed up on whether a glitch can be considered cheating. It’s something that the developers overlook, and most games older than two years old they’re not going to bother with them. 

Plenty of instances where glitches and exploits are patched via updates. Some glitches get left in. Some reduce the time by dozens of hours, like the duping glitch in Demon’s Souls. 

Are we cheaters for using exploits? Most of us are trophy veterans and we probably did use exploits in a few games. Ultimately it just boils down to what we classify as cheating.

I agree that's it's about what classifies as cheating. For me it's not getting the trophies normally. like I have the MW Remastered platinum, I used the veteran glitch, to me that's cheating because I never actually beat the game on veteran. I don't actually deserve the plat because I never did it legit. To me what I did is no different than using cheat codes. I honestly feel that if you don't use cheats/glitches versus others or hack the trophies out right than its all fine.

I cannot run from the truth any longer. The more I see this thread the more it gets to me....

I used cheat codes for GTA San Andreas back in the day, used glitches and exploits, along with Game shark codes for random games for fun. Even for multiplayer games. I am forever ashamed for my sins and have since been to multiple rehabs and even have been in GCA (gaming cheaters anonymous) ever since. 

Cheating in video games has destroyed my life. The friends I used to play Mario Party and Halo with, now can't stand to even be in the same lobby as me. I cannot get a job as a "game tester" because of my history, I might relapse and "cheat" again. My wife has since taken her controller and moved back in with her parents. She won't even accept my game invites anymore. 

Cheating in video games is no laughing matter. 

• Like 1

Really wouldn't bother myself about the way other people play their games so long as they aren't hacking (modern games- see below) or making a multiplayer experience shitty.

Boosting isn't cheating. Using guides and/or developer-programmed cheat codes is technically cheating but why should anyone actually care? Using glitches may be cheating but in an offline scenario once again why should anyone care?

In older games before trophies/ achievements, I even think using third-party tools like Xploder or Action Replay to mess about with stuff like infinite health and ammo and shit is totally fine since you're not screwing with the trophy/ achievements meta-game of the modern era and so long as you're not screwing with somebody else's experience.

I disagree with those saying that somebody cheating is ruining the experience for themselves- at least, it very well depends on the reasons for doing so. In the case of cheat codes they're designed to dick around with, and in the case of using cheat devices on older games well I was younger, not very good at games and getting frustrated at tough bits so rather than giving up on a game because I no longer found it fun, I got myself infinite health or whatever, played on and I feel that nothing was lost for me personally because cheating was necessary though as a last resort. Just using such cheats out the gate before giving a legit experience a chance will probably spoil things a bit though.

So overall I think cheating is totally fine and nothing for anybody to be getting their jimmies rustled over, just as long as you're not dicking with anybody else.

• Like 1

I said no, but because of how I define cheating. I do not think the following are considered cheating: Boosting, glitches, exploits, and cheat codes.

The reason I don't think these are cheating are simply because the game's system allows them to happen. Sure, glitches and exploits probably aren't supposed to be there, but they are and I will play as such. Plus, some of the glitches I've seen people use in speedruns take an incredible amount of skill to use anyway, so more power to them. And cheat codes, though they are quite literally cheats, are still something the developer put in their game for people to use.

What I do think is cheating is actually hacking the game or leaderboard systems for personal gain, whether that be getting an impossible score or making the game even easier than what everyone has access to (for example, invincible mode in a game that does not even have that feature). Those things are not ok.