Are you a completist? Yes or No and Why?

El-Sublime-

I know I will never finish Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 3 because I will have to boost for over 100 hours. I’m not willing to put in the time for that and I have poor internet, so I will just be a hinderance. 

The highest percentage I can reach for is around 97 - 98, which is pretty good because I am a completionist that prefers to complete games. That’s just how I like to play. Others like to just finish games they absolutely love and leave the rest unfinished, which is fine. 

I have some games I haven’t gotten around to and hope to play in the near future. 

• Like 1

Yes and no for me I suppose. When it comes to games I love I'm doing everything there is to do. I'm always trying new games and if I like it I'll get it to 100%.

If I end up hating it then it's pretty much guaranteed to be left there forever sitting at a low percent. I just see no point in wasting time going out of your way playing something you can't stand for hours on end just to get it fully done. 

• Like 4

I 100%/platinum a game only if I like the said game and if the platinum is reasonable.

I'll never platinum PES2015 for example , I played that game only 3 or 4 times with some friends and some dumb trophy popped. Won't bother with it more than that because I don't like sports based games ( servers are closed anyway so no plat for me even if i wanted to)

Another example would be Fist of the north star Lost Paradise : I like the game but pulling S ranks in a rhythm game is totally not my thing so I'd rather avoid the platinum rather than end up hating the game. 

So in conclusion... it depends ?

• Like 2

Yes, I am a completionist because it's sorta my lifestyle.. I feel unrested if something left half especially if I paid money and more importantly invested time.. Because of that I am very picky about starting new games..

Hardiness of the trophies doesn't affect my decision but clearly affects the result time.. though i dont have an intent that i'll have a clear profile my general approach results in that.. 

but i wont ever had a 100% profile thanks to gta 5 on ps3's hackers and unobtainable trophy.. 

Edited by Darpiom
  • Like 1

I have always liked to play games to completion, even before trophies were a thing or on other consoles without achievements. But it's hard to measure what "everything there is to do" really means. For example, I never got Excalibur II in Final Fantasy IX on the PS1 (mostly because I never owned a PS1 and it didn't work on the PS2 due to cutscenes), or did a Level 1 challenge run. Now that we have trophies, at least they give you some means of measuring what the developer thinks needs to be done for his game to be 100% completed. 

So yeah, I will always go for 100% in my games. But it's down to personal preference, really. For my own profile, I value a high completion percentage and somewhat reasonable average rarity higher than the number of platinum / gold trophies. 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SixyLove said:

I'm not a completist; I define a completist as somebody who does everything within a game (Even if there is no trophy/achievement for doing it). Even by the "get all the trophies" definition, I'm not really a completist.

I call that clocking a game. Finishing/doing absolutely everything the game has to offer. I suppose we all have our different terms and definitions.

• Like 3

I'm going for high completion of trophies and i want to explore games that means dlc content with trophies are included. And i give almost all games a 2nd chance. For example I didn't enjoy Borderlands PS3 at 1st but at 2nd try :D i had borrowed the base game only so i bought the Triple Pack to get all dlc for B1 and B2...

I have a weird relationship with getting a platinums for a games. I have to really get into the game or love the franchise it might be part of to give it a shot.

I tend to lead with my experience of the game first rather than how attainable the platinum or 100% is and I never let the latter determine whether i purchase a game or not. The only real prep i might do with trophies first is to try and find a spoiler free area online which will tell me if there are any missable trophies to get an idea of what they are. Missable trophies are a pet peeve of mine.

DLC trophies releasing later after the main game releases thus affecting a 100% are a whole other thing. It takes alot for me to go back to a game i got a platinum for to play DLC content, because usually by the time that DLC appears there will be a bunch of new releases out to take my attention. I genuinely don't care whether my 100% gets affected in this case and I'll never say no to more content I had a good time with, especially if it's free, but the chances of me going back to play it are slim (recent examples are Spider-Man, Metro Exodus and Days Gone).

As a side note - I stopped buying into season passes a while ago now. Because I found i'd get the season pass but end up not playing the DLC at all or at the most, going back to the content at a point where the DLC was older and on sale.

• Like 1

I'm not a completist at all. I find it turns something I like doing for fun into a chore and fuck that.

Happy enough to just finish the story and if it was fun then try to plat it.

Edited by Feral
  • Like 4

I consider myself to be a completionist, a failed one admittedly, but still. Currently there are only 3 games on my profile that I have started, but not completed so far, none of them are technically impossible, but the chance of ever getting back to 100% is very small. Kingdom Come Deliverance because I waited for the last dlc to come out, will tackle this thing within the year and I hope it isn't as buggy as before. Uncharted 2, because it contains a shitty multi hour speedrun and one of the most unfun difficulty settings in living memory, will tackle that shit this year too most likely. The third one is Super Meat Boy, a game I picked up because it was free on psplus years ago, not knowing what I was getting myself into. I lack the natural talent to complete this beast of a game, though I came closer than I thought possible, very unlikely I will ever manage to get it done.

I have a few very grindy platinums I never would have gotten as a non completionist, the worst among these are Orcs Must Die Unchained and Monster Hunter World. I also have 2 games I consider to be the absolute worst shit human beings can create, but finished them anyway to get the 100%, and one game that had so many buggy trophies I felt like a detective looking through all corners of the internet trying to work around that. It usually is worth it once the task is done, and looking at the collection of s ranks is indeed rewarding. It just does not feel quite right to me to leave a game unfinished in my profile if I can help it, and i don't get how other people can do it.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

No - if something stops being fun, I usually stop. There are times when I feel like it might be worth the grind, I might come back to it even years later, but only if I felt it was worth the effort. Going for 100% just because would be completely pointless for me as there would be no sense of achievement for me in doing so. There are many games I've platinumed or w/e and just felt like "why did I put myself through that?" and felt absolutely nothing after getting the plat, so I've long abandoned that mentality TBH. That being said, that's just me, and a lot of us use this site for different purposes - as long as it isn't creating unhealthy attitudes and habits people should be free to enjoy themselves however they like.

• Like 2

I am. I tend to complete every game I play, even though right now I have some left (The time relics in Crash 2 because at the time I couldn't be asked to do them, even though I had 100%'d Crash 1, and the trophy for the Hero Colosseum in DBXV2 because I don't like that minigame, but I will come back to those sometimes in the future).

Whether I fully 100% a game (meaning doing requirements that are outside of the platinum or 100% with DLCs) or just go for the 100% related to trophies, it depends on the game itself: if I really enjoyed it and feel like it, I will, otherwise I won't.

People tend to think that someone that is "obsessed" with profile completion usually avoids difficult games in fear of not being able to fully complete them, or just plays games that are very easy and quick to platinum; for me (and many other people I've seen on this site) it's just an extra that doesn't stop me from playing the games I want to. I almost never pick a game to play just because of the trophies or their rarity: because of that I don't have any "easy", quick platinum games on my profile. Not that having them is a bad thing.

• Like 2

Yes I am, and there are a couple of reasons for it. Back in the mid-00's, my gaming hobby was basically dead. I was still playing different games, but I never got into any of them. My gaming was really superficial, and I simply did not enjoy it. A couple of hours here, and a couple of hours there (like I see a lot of my friends do today - and like me back then, they don't seem to enjoy anything). There was no structure to it. Now this sounds ridiculous, as you wouldn't think a hobby like gaming should be structured or organized, but I seriously didn't start enjoying gaming again, until that's exactly what I did. 

When I noticed a trophy popping for the first time in a PS3 game, that got me curious. And over the next couple of years, I just naturally started hunting down every trophy in a game, before I moved on. This not only got me to devout the time needed for every game, but it also got me to seriously enjoy all the games I played (even mediocre ones), because the trophy hunt made it interesting. I have basically no fond memories of the stuff I played during the late-PS2 era, because of this. So... trophies really reignited my passion for gaming. Every time I begin a new game, I look at a trophy guide or roadmap, and then I just gradually work towards that wonderful 100%. So I'm having fun on two levels; The actual game + the trophy hunting, which is somewhere between being inside and outside the game. 

• Like 3

These "non-completionist" people are the reason why even rare trophies exist; if everybody was so motivated to be a completionist, we'd have only trophies with 100% rarity. So this kind of gamers needs to exist, too. I am not a completionist and don't feel the need to be one. But if you have high completion percentage AND play what you like AND completed many hard games then props to you.

• Like 1

Yep, I am most definitely a completionist. Have been since long before trophies existed, I’ve always had to do everything there is in a game. If trophies stop before everything is complete, I still keep going to get what I consider to be 100% completion (e.g. filling out that awful fishing log in FFXV, completing all sidequests in Witcher 3, etc).

As for why...I guess it’s because I grew up playing collectathon games? Where that was the whole point of them - to collect everything. So it’s just how I ended up shaping up as a gamer.

Or maybe I just have problems. It’s probably that...

I don’t let it change what games I play though. So far I’ve been lucky, and there’s been nothing unobtainable for me. There’s been a couple of games where I wasn’t sure if I’d ever be able to do it, but I stuck with it and succeeded. One day there’ll probably be some game I start that’s beyond my skill level, but I’ll deal with that when it comes.

• Like 3

Take a platinum, in general, takes a long time and I do not count if there is a hard online, and I want to play different games not be weeks or months because of DLC even if it was free.

If it were not for the trophies I would have finished my PS3 games that I have waiting for. With PS4 and Vita the same thing happens.

Yeah, though only since last year. I’m glad that I took the time to go back to finish old games as I ended up liking a lot of them more the second time round. I actually have more fun with trophy hunting now because I get a more memorable experience with each game, and it’s nice to see the work pay off (seems like a lot of people assume completionists don’t enjoy what they do).

I’ve come to a bit of a halt with the completion rate though, most of what I have left is just annoying or not in my skill set. I have a few unattainable plats but I’m not really bothered about those, don’t think I’d want 100% completion cause I’d be too worried about having to keep it up rather than having fun. Also not that interested in paying over the top prices for old CoD DLCs. 

• Like 1

When I started trophy hunting, I wasn’t a completionist. The platinum was enough for me. As my trophy hunting evolved, I started to get more interested in achieving the 100%. It’s like the game doesn’t feel completed anymore, if I still have trophies left to earn. However, DLC’s are usually expensive, so I only buy them when I can find them at a good price. It doesn’t make sense to me spending a lot of money in DLC’s, if I can buy a new game instead.

If we’re talking about very annoying DLC trophies, that are hard to earn without boosting (like the huntress trophies in DbD or some of the U2 trophies), then I don’t go out of my way to achieve the 100%. I love MP and hunting online trophies while playing with other people, but I hate boosting. It’s too stressful and for me DLC trophies or a 100% isn’t worth it, unless I really love the game and completing it is very important to me (like TLoU PS3).

• Like 3