Are you a completist? Yes or No and Why?

El-Sublime-

I'm definitely a completist. Why? Because I loved gathering stuff in my whole life. Trading card games, book series, fantasy magazines, horror DVD-s and so. Always something I could gather and I always wanted flawless completions. On the other hand I love playing games since I was 6-7 years old (and I'm 40 this year) but my parents usually couldn't afford to buy me a proper device. When I got a Commodore64 it was way too old, and everybody else had Amigas and 286/386 PC-s by the time.

So when I bought my first PS (PS4) as an adult, these two needs just got satisfied at the same time: playing games and gathering something (useless :D ). 

When I start a game I always want to 100% it, even if it has ridiculous tasks. If it's too boring or hard I switch to another game just to feel some progression in anything that day. But in the end somehow I feel great seeing the newest "100%" next to that game's title.

Leanthil.png

• Like 3

I find boring not to be. Even when i'm not trophy hunting, I'm completing everything a game requires. Last year I was on a road to all achievements for The DIvision 1. Got to 4k and then stopped because I didn't really want to put up with that horrible PVP.

Again, I find quite boring to just play games with no purpose. If I'm just playing for the story, I might as well just go and watch movies.

• Like 2

Hard to say, yes and no.

When I play a game I always intend to get platinum/100%. It started someday and now it's an addiction.

But at the same time if a game has an unobtainable trophy like F.E.A.R. 2 or Darksiders 2 PS3 because of server shutdown etc. - I still play it because I want to.

Trophies don't affect me as much as some other people, but they do affect me in some kind of way.

I would never not play a game just because it can't be at 100%, especially when it's a good game.

On the other hand I try to complete my games even if it's annoying af because i like seeing the platinum/100%.

And then there are trophies that just make me give up, and I'm not that bothered that I try the impossible, at least for me.

• Like 1

On my on way, only for those games I liked it a lot or those who aren't my favorites but the platinium or 100% is reasonable or easy. But I'm not afraid or feel bad to left a game without a plat or 100% if I don't feel to get it. Time is a precious thing nowadays haha

My gold rule: first playtrought blind and for pure fun... then check if I want to go for the plat or not.

Ps: It's funny how a lot of people here says "I only plat or have 100% on games I really like it" and them you see their list or backlog and "completition 98.99%" xD

• Like 2

Back then before trophies were added to games, on PS1 and PS2 I did a few games to 100% completion. For trophy hunting even though dlc’s are optional, I want to get them so I can have them 100% and complete them as best I can. Would say yes. 

• Like 1

Yes, within reason.

Not wasting countless hours boosting multiplayer or grinding single player if I am not enjoying.  And if ridiculous amount of skill required, I am more than ok to move on instead of trying over and over.

• Like 2

Yes, when I was younger I never used to do everything so I felt that it was a waste of money to by games because never complete the whole thing. So now I try my best to complete everything the game has to offer.

I try to complete everything I can until I'm not having fun with it anymore. The challenge is part of the fun, until it's not.

By "try," I mean I don't always do the best job of putting the controller down when a task has become tedious, but the more I bash my head into various virtual walls, the weaker my tolerance for it becomes, so I've been getting better about that at least.

Edited by GR1Mshadow
  • Like 3

Definitely not, usually finishing the game is enough for me and I don't really have a desire to grind online or highly skilled based trophies. If I have to force myself to do something, there's no point in doing it.

Yes and no. I'm definitely not a true completionist, as my sub-60% completion rate would indicate. But I play a lot of games, and tend to have a bit of videogame ADD... Once I get bored with it, that's it and it's on to the next one. That being said, I was on a platinum kick there for a while and am sitting right under 160 plats. I was going for a lot of the EZPZ plats, which tended to be hollow and annoying, and I was just playing for trophies. That got old, so lately I've been trying to challenge myself and opt for more Ultra Rare trophies and plats. Or even more so just playing games to have fun, even if the plat is something I know I won't invest my time in. I would miss out on so many great games if I didn't try them for fear of a shoddy completion percentage! 

But hey, to each their own. We all play games for our own reasons. As long as we are having fun, who cares if we have 100% completion percentage, only play EZPZ games, or are the king of nabbing Ultra Rares!

• Like 2

I am usually that way with TV shows and trophyies.  But I wont be losing sleep if a game goes offline. Getting 100 percent in games gives me something to do when I am off from school in the summer from college 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maahniac said:

Yes I am, and there are a couple of reasons for it. Back in the mid-00's, my gaming hobby was basically dead. I was still playing different games, but I never got into any of them. My gaming was really superficial, and I simply did not enjoy it. A couple of hours here, and a couple of hours there (like I see a lot of my friends do today - and like me back then, they don't seem to enjoy anything). There was no structure to it. Now this sounds ridiculous, as you wouldn't think a hobby like gaming should be structured or organized, but I seriously didn't start enjoying gaming again, until that's exactly what I did. 

When I noticed a trophy popping for the first time in a PS3 game, that got me curious. And over the next couple of years, I just naturally started hunting down every trophy in a game, before I moved on. This not only got me to devout the time needed for every game, but it also got me to seriously enjoy all the games I played (even mediocre ones), because the trophy hunt made it interesting. I have basically no fond memories of the stuff I played during the late-PS2 era, because of this. So... trophies really reignited my passion for gaming. Every time I begin a new game, I look at a trophy guide or roadmap, and then I just gradually work towards that wonderful 100%. So I'm having fun on two levels; The actual game + the trophy hunting, which is somewhere between being inside and outside the game. 

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

I’m a ledgit completionist. 2 games sitting incomplete. borderlands 2, 1 dlc trophy, which I have the gear ready to put on and pop the trophy after AC liberations is done as I wanted rogue, 3 and liberations remasters all next to each other. I start one game and finish it to 100% before moving on.

Im also fussy with how games are lined up in my list. I started hunting on the PS4 and made a new account for it so I will never step backwards and do ps3 games. All games of the same franchise like cod or AC etc all have to be done in order of RELEASE on the PS4 also. I’m an actual OCD freak when it comes to my account lol. 

Its my hobby which I enjoy in moderation as I have a full time job and have a Missis. Most of my trophies come in winter and weekends. Slows down a lot in the summer.

yep, but the op definition is lacking imo...i would say a completist aims for not only all trophies but also every challenge in game as well which often goes dozens and, every so often, hundreds of hours beyond the trophy 100%...i even consider myself a completist over a trophy hunter since attaining in game 100% has pretty much been my style for the last 30 years and I'm sure it wouldn't change if trophies suddenly vanished...

I think in my case it's just a personality thing...i tend to want to excel at everything I do whether it be business, family, hobby, drug abuse, etc. related...i have a "do it right or don't do it at all" philosophy and when it comes to gaming that translates to doing everything a game has to offer...i love all aspects of gaming so find it satisfying to pick up a game, get good at it, finish all that I can within it, and move on...

you could compare how I feel about gaming to a passionate athlete or something...if I was in a football (soccer) match against an incredibly strong team and was losing 10-0 at halftime, I wouldn't give up and forfeit...i'd reassess our team's strategy and work my a$$ off to either try to prevent another goal or to make it 10-1...as frustrating as it might be, I wouldn't find it any less fun than being on the team that was up 10-0...as long as I was indeed playing football, I'd be happy...and that's how I feel about my video games...from chaotic co-op, to greasy grinds, to playthrough plethora, to multiplayer masochism, to no-death on diaoblic difficulty dementia, to rng-sus f**king christ, and everything in between, i'm all in...

as long as I have games to play, I'm all good and will continue to strive for that 100% mark...and yes, i'm aware that some day I might hit games where I won't be able to complete everything due to patches or closed servers or whatevz or where the difficulty is just too much for my skill level and that's all good too...no harm in admitting and acknowledging failure should that be the case...

small secret: I actually haven't achieved in game 100% on all of the games I've played...gta v and mgsv come to mind as there were just so many things to unlock that it became overwhelming and I wanted to play other games from my massive collection...but please don't tell anyone, i have a rep to maintain...i.e. nobody cares...haha...

• Like 2

Somewhat. I platinum the games that I can, but if I keep trying and can't (like tough plats like Kingdom Hearts critical trophies, CTR, FFX's mini games etc.) I don't bother and just play for fun. But for most RPGs and games I like, I do my best to platinum unless the estimate time is like 200 hours. The most Ive ever spend platinuming a game was 137 hours on FF13 when it first released, I don't think I'd be willing to put more than 150 hours into a game though. 

I'm kind of a completionist when it comes to FF and Tales series, and found FFX and Tales of Symphonia plats too frustrating, I feel annoyed at myself for not being able to get them. However, certain games I just play for fun, like Disgaea and Yakuza, as they're plats are insanely difficult

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Somewhat. I platinum the games that I can, but if I keep trying and can't (like tough plats like Kingdom Hearts critical trophies, CTR, FFX's mini games etc.) I don't bother and just play for fun. But for most RPGs and games I like, I do my best to platinum unless the estimate time is like 200 hours. The most Ive ever spend platinuming a game was 137 hours on FF13 when it first released, I don't think I'd be willing to put more than 150 hours into a game though. 

I'm kind of a completionist when it comes to FF and Tales series, and found FFX and Tales of Symphonia plats too frustrating, I feel annoyed at myself for not being able to get them. However, certain games I just play for fun, like Disgaea and Yakuza, as they're plats are insanely difficult

With you there on Symphonia, I really want that plat (one of my fave games of all time), but at the same time, the requirements really just give you a list of boring grinds/playthroughs that suck all the fun out of the game, completely arbitrary for the most part in terms of challenge too, especially with the affection "mechanic".

Hell no, some trophies are ridiculously boring to get (nothing fun about 100+ hours of mindless grind). The moment I stop having fun playing the game, I quit. Trophies/achievements are nice little addition but absolutely not the reason I play games.

Especially seeing so many people boosting trophies and just copying walkthroughs because they care more about the trophy than the game itself, it completely loses its meaning; at least for me.

Edited by theSpirae
  • Like 2

I think I'm a completionist nowadays. I always try to get all trophies from the game. And it doesn't feel completed without the 100%.

When I started about 10 years ago I was just trophy hunting and mostly having fun in games. But sometimes I don't just have enough time for all games, so they just sit on my trophy list. So guess i'm not a full completionist.

There has been several stages in my life, as some of you probably. When I was younger, I was more into play as much games as possible, try different games or genres usually "following the hype". That was durig the whole PS2 era and some part of PS3 too. Then, I started to realize how rewarding was to me completing the games, so I started to complete them. After some time, it was time to create a new account that reflected this new "me" - the new Completitionist Pooh.?

Nowadays,I like to maximize the games I play. For that reason, I am sort of selective when it comes to choosing the games I play on my profile. I do not care if the trophies are hard or not, if I see a game that I am going to enjoy, I go for it. :D

I manage to keep my profile around 99% because I only play games that look good or that I think I'll like a lot. I understand some people like to stack games or play lots of really easy games to build up their trophy count, but I think that would cause my completion percentage to plummet because I just wouldn't be having fun anymore, and I personally would rather have a hundred completed games that I loved than a thousand finished or unfinished games that I hated.

Difficulty and grinds are obviously the two biggest obstacles when trying to complete a game, but I like a good challenge and I don't mind a grind if it's something I can do while focusing on something else. That's actually very cathartic to me. I think I would struggle with games that are fast-paced or require precise timing, but fortunately, I lean more towards the deeper, slower strategy games. I don't know if that comes from being old or just knowing what I like. It's probably a little of both.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, neko-chan251191 said:

Hard to say, yes and no.

When I play a game I always intend to get platinum/100%. It started someday and now it's an addiction.

But at the same time if a game has an unobtainable trophy like F.E.A.R. 2 or Darksiders 2 PS3 because of server shutdown etc. - I still play it because I want to.

Trophies don't affect me as much as some other people, but they do affect me in some kind of way.

I would never not play a game just because it can't be at 100%, especially when it's a good game.

On the other hand I try to complete my games even if it's annoying af because i like seeing the platinum/100%.

And then there are trophies that just make me give up, and I'm not that bothered that I try the impossible, at least for me.

I also play games that have their platinum unobtainable - currently i'm playing Resistance 2. I have a secondary account for doing unattainable games, just getting al possible trophies. Also i play games that don't have a trophy list - the best example is Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I completed the game on Veteran and acquired all intel laptopts. Yeah, the epilogue was very though, but that's not a reason for playing it again on his Remastered version! Of course, in my main account and his respective 100%.

• Like 1