Are you a completist? Yes or No and Why?

El-Sublime-

Yes, I had the bad idea to sit down and reach 100% completion one day, it felt good and now it would feel like a waste to not keep it that way, but since I don't play just ezpz but any game I'm interested in, regardless of difficulty, sometimes the pain is almost unbearable lol

I'm a completionist if it doesn't ruin the fun of a game for me. I generally just focus on beating the story mode at first. And if I can complete the game without a huge jump in effort then I will go through with it. I got burned out trying to be a trophy hunter on the PS3.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AN0n1m8 said:

I also play games that have their platinum unobtainable - currently i'm playing Resistance 2. I have a secondary account for doing unattainable games, just getting al possible trophies. Also i play games that don't have a trophy list - the best example is Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I completed the game on Veteran and acquired all intel laptopts. Yeah, the epilogue was very though, but that's not a reason for playing it again on his Remastered version! Of course, in my main account and his respective 100%.

Oh yeah, I forgot about games without trophies! I got a few of them, too :D

Turok, Assassins Creed 1 and Jericho for example, and I'm still looking for a copy of Legendary. And I'm gonna play them anyway. Achievements didn't bother me in my childhood, so they don't bother me when they're not even there, makes sense right? ?

• Like 2

I always liked getting everything out of my games, unlocking every single thing there was to unlock. When trophies came along… well, they were just one more thing to unlock! Though that only applies to games I like, obviously. To me, games are supposed to be fun and trophies are a mere extension of the games I love, not my endgame. If it turns out the game isn't all that good... then screw that, I'm moving on to the next one.

Edited by jrdemr

1 hour ago, neko-chan251191 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about games without trophies! I got a few of them, too :D

Turok, Assassins Creed 1 and Jericho for example, and I'm still looking for a copy of Legendary. And I'm gonna play them anyway. Achievements didn't bother me in my childhood, so they don't bother me when they're not even there, makes sense right? ?

I used to play games with no trophies aswell and for story. Like Oblivion and Resistance 1. Maybe some others too.

I am inspired by the PSNProfile community to be a more responsible consumer when it comes to video games. 

When I bought my PS4 in 2014, I realized I had so many PS3 games I owned and barely played, finished, or even started.

I promised myself to change how I would buy new games on the PS4.

1) Get 75% trophies (with exceptions for online trophies)

2) Any discount games, at a minimum, finish the story.

I fell off the wagon after about 2 years. Thankfully I saw a article about competitive trophy hunters. This led me to “Trophy Guides” and I have been working hard to fix my average grade of games.

My new goals are more realistic and attainable due to this community.

1) Beat the main plot.

2) No worse than a “C” in any game played.

3) Don’t buy a new game without splitting time and getting an older game to a “C”

4) If I like the game, push to a “B”

So, no, I’m not a completist, but I am a better (and happier)  gamer and more responsible consumer because of those that are. 

Edited by Recoilius
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, SkyMason said:

With you there on Symphonia, I really want that plat (one of my fave games of all time), but at the same time, the requirements really just give you a list of boring grinds/playthroughs that suck all the fun out of the game, completely arbitrary for the most part in terms of challenge too, especially with the affection "mechanic".

Same I really wanted and it's not hard, just takes so long with 5 playthroughs for the affection titles. The old fashioned style of the game with the 2D battles, difficulty in farming grade effectively to get the exp multipliers in the grade shop to make subsequent runs more efficient and no scene skip made me quit on this platinum, so I just did one playthrough. It must tale over 150 hours to platinum though

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Recoilius said:

So, no, I’m not a completist, but I am a better (and happier)  gamer and more responsible consumer because of those that are. 

Being a completist don't mean you are "better" or "happier" gamer. It's just a point of view. The game is the same for all of us, is the way we choose to play them that makes difference. But that difference is related to what do you want, i mean if you are a casual gamer you NEVER will want to complete 100% a game, or even play hard games. But that isn't bad, only it's your way to have fun.

There are no rules for playing, except having fun (: (and using hacks in competitive games)

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 1:47 AM, Nighcisama said:

I consider myself to be a completionist, a failed one admittedly, but still. Currently there are only 3 games on my profile that I have started, but not completed so far, none of them are technically impossible, but the chance of ever getting back to 100% is very small. Kingdom Come Deliverance because I waited for the last dlc to come out, will tackle this thing within the year and I hope it isn't as buggy as before. Uncharted 2, because it contains a shitty multi hour speedrun and one of the most unfun difficulty settings in living memory, will tackle that shit this year too most likely. The third one is Super Meat Boy, a game I picked up because it was free on psplus years ago, not knowing what I was getting myself into. I lack the natural talent to complete this beast of a game, though I came closer than I thought possible, very unlikely I will ever manage to get it done.

I have a few very grindy platinums I never would have gotten as a non completionist, the worst among these are Orcs Must Die Unchained and Monster Hunter World. I also have 2 games I consider to be the absolute worst shit human beings can create, but finished them anyway to get the 100%, and one game that had so many buggy trophies I felt like a detective looking through all corners of the internet trying to work around that. It usually is worth it once the task is done, and looking at the collection of s ranks is indeed rewarding. It just does not feel quite right to me to leave a game unfinished in my profile if I can help it, and i don't get how other people can do it.

A few unfinished games does not mean you are a failed completionist. 

I will not consider 100 percent to be mandatory because after all, we can’t be good in EVERY game. 

PrinceofPeace is the only guy I know who has his account tracked on this website who has consistently gotten 100 percent over a long time. For that, I give him respect. Most people can’t do that. 

I look at my account as “doing the best I can”, because I already know that coming this September, 100 percent will be impossible.

It probably already was because for one online trophy in GTA V you have to have a hacker/glitcher put a bounty on you, because Rockstar removed that option two years ago on the PS3 version. Technically it can be achieved but why would I risk that on a dying game?

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

A few unfinished games does not mean you are a failed completionist. 

I will not consider 100 percent to be mandatory because after all, we can’t be good in EVERY game. 

PrinceofPeace is the only guy I know who has his account tracked on this website who has consistently gotten 100 percent over a long time. For that, I give him respect. Most people can’t do that. 

I look at my account as “doing the best I can”, because I already know that coming this September, 100 percent will be impossible.

It probably already was because for one online trophy in GTA V you have to have a hacker/glitcher put a bounty on you, because Rockstar removed that option two years ago on the PS3 version. Technically it can be achieved but why would I risk that on a dying game?

A completionists goal is the 100%, nothing less. The moment the 100% become impossible, the attempt at being a completionist has definitely failed, and you turn into just a dilligent guy with a high completion rate, which is what I am as well at the moment. While technically not impossible to reach completionist status again for my account, as mentioned, it is highly unlikely to happen due to the sheer insane difficulty of Super Meat Boys last 3 ironman trophies. Trophies becoming impossible quickly thanks to server shutdowns is the biggest reason, other than the game obviously not being my type of game anyway, to avoid a game for me, and I rarely break that rule. I broke it for Orcs Must Die Unchained, started the game despite the server shutdown was pretty much guarenteed, and because I consider it my way of playing to complete my games, I ramped the grind up as quickly as possible before the servers shut down for good. I would never start a game on ps4 if I thought I wasn't ready to commit enough for the platinum, and I pretty much always am, though the smb decision was a lack of research on my part, it just looked like a funny little platformer that was free on psplus, walked right into the spiked pitfall so to speak.

Now you can still consider yourself a true completionist if you want, even though it comes off like someone declaring himself a virgin after several "missteps", but I won't claim that status for me- I and probably anyone still sitting at a 100% consider myself to be failure in that regard, which is alright, not everyone is cut out to keep this up after all. I still complete whatever I can manage, for now, but I don't count myself among the people who managed to keep it up, and maybe the next boring, disgusting rng shitpile Monster Hunter like grind will lead to me throwing that out of the window as well, can't say for sure at this point.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

A completionists goal is the 100%, nothing less. The moment the 100% become impossible, the attempt at being a completionist has definitely failed, and you turn into just a dilligent guy with a high completion rate, which is what I am as well at the moment. While technically not impossible to reach completionist status again for my account, as mentioned, it is highly unlikely to happen due to the sheer insane difficulty of Super Meat Boys last 3 ironman trophies.

But unless you have given up for real, you haven't failed, I'd say. If you delete SMB from your system and never intend to get back to it, then sure, you give up being a completionist. But as long as you keep at it, you are doing everything you can to try to achieve that 100%.. And you can do it man! ?

Having a 100% completion at all times is unrealistic because we are all playing games all the time. For me, it's about aiming for that 100%. 

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Right, but it's not September yet. As a completionist, if I had interest in playing U2 or U3, I would do everything I can to get those trophies while they are achievable. The second I read that the servers for Final Fantasy XV Comrades would be shut down, I stopped playing other games and got that done instead. Sometimes it's out of your hands, but in this case it's still very much your own choice to leave those games unfinished. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging the choice of not going for it, but a completionist would. ?

• Like 1

Not really. I make a point of going for the platinum in every game, and if that game has DLC trophies I'll try going for 100% if the trophies aren't too annoying/grindy. Above all, multiplayer trophies from DLCs are an instant dealbreaker for me. Nope. Just nope. Otherwise, I'm (mostly) good.

Well yes. Yes I am, thanks for asking.

I don’t know anything other than completing games to their fullest ever since I played my first game, Final Fantasy VII on the PS1. Since trophies came along I now consider it to be completed as I hit 100% trophies, not 100% in-game anymore. Current goal is to get back to a 100% profile by January 1st.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

A completionists goal is the 100%, nothing less. The moment the 100% become impossible, the attempt at being a completionist has definitely failed, and you turn into just a dilligent guy with a high completion rate, which is what I am as well at the moment. While technically not impossible to reach completionist status again for my account, as mentioned, it is highly unlikely to happen due to the sheer insane difficulty of Super Meat Boys last 3 ironman trophies. Trophies becoming impossible quickly thanks to server shutdowns is the biggest reason, other than the game obviously not being my type of game anyway, to avoid a game for me, and I rarely break that rule. I broke it for Orcs Must Die Unchained, started the game despite the server shutdown was pretty much guarenteed, and because I consider it my way of playing to complete my games, I ramped the grind up as quickly as possible before the servers shut down for good. I would never start a game on ps4 if I thought I wasn't ready to commit enough for the platinum, and I pretty much always am, though the smb decision was a lack of research on my part, it just looked like a funny little platformer that was free on psplus, walked right into the spiked pitfall so to speak.

Now you can still consider yourself a true completionist if you want, even though it comes off like someone declaring himself a virgin after several "missteps", but I won't claim that status for me- I and probably anyone still sitting at a 100% consider myself to be failure in that regard, which is alright, not everyone is cut out to keep this up after all. I still complete whatever I can manage, for now, but I don't count myself among the people who managed to keep it up, and maybe the next boring, disgusting rng shitpile Monster Hunter like grind will lead to me throwing that out of the window as well, can't say for sure at this point.

That is the goal. At 95 percent I am far from having everything completed. I’ve gone back to games I haven’t touched in over three years and as a result my percentage has increased drastically. 

Regardless, I ALWAYS research ahead of time so I don’t jump in unprepared. I don’t play games blind anymore. That worked back in the PS2 era but trophies didn’t exist, so it didn’t matter. 

Generally I avoid anything that requires more than 10 - 20 hours of multiplayer since I generally do not like it. Poured thousands of hours into MMOs. Been there, done that. 

I am not a true completionist, but that doesn’t mean I’m failing to complete my games. 

When I started this account I played purely for fun. I had a sub 50 percent completion rate. 

Basically if “failing” means you failed to get everything to 100 percent, then most of us all failed. 

• Like 1

I try to obtain 100% including DLC. I have some unfinished games that may or may not remain as such, I’ll think about it. It’s always nice to look at my profile after achieving a platinum, I feel accomplished for some reason unknown.

As for why I do it? Because I like to infuriate myself, obviously.

• Like 3