Are you a completist? Yes or No and Why?

El-Sublime-

I am, and I'm not. I don't make it my mission to 100% every game I play, that would just feel like a massive waste of time to me, especially when a lot of games end up feeling like chores trying to get all the trophies or 100% them.

A game has to be something I really, really enjoy for me to consider 100%ing it. That, or it's easy and quick enough to 100% anyway. Even then, if the platinum trophy or 100% competition requires too much grinding, I may not bother. I likely will still do everything I can that's actually fun, but having to grind to level 100 when it takes hours to level up, or having to play irritating mini-games over and over, etc. I'm not going to waste my time on that 9 times out of 10. If a game ceases to be fun for a prolonged period, it's no longer something I'm doing because I genuinely enjoy it, and I've already done enough of that with games over the years. I'm only getting older and my backlog is only getting bigger, I don't want to continue to waste several hours into games that are no longer enjoyable.

Another thing that often deters me from 100% completion are games with multiple endings, especially if they're long RPGs. Might be fine if it's one of those games that branches off at some point, so I can return to a save point halfway or later in to do the other endings, but if I have to play the whole game all over again, I usually just watch the other endings on youtube, if I care enough. If I know a game has multiple endings and it's not something that's going to be quick to replay (or meant to be replayed anyway) like Silent Hill or Drakengard/Nier, I will usually see what the "true", canon or otherwise "best" ending is and try to aim for that.

Other than that, I do try to do every side quest and what not possible, unless it's something that doesn't feel too important (e.g. it's just a radiant/repeatable fetch quest), or otherwise unenjoyable. Even if I don't 100% a game, I do try to do most of what the game has to offer in a single playthrough, unless it just simply isn't enjoyable enough for me to bother, or I want to play it completely blind, I'm probably going to miss some content if it's isn't always obvious.

I still 100% games with no achievements/trophies now and again as well. Trophies are definitely a nice incentive, but I don't take them too seriously, and the lack of trophies in a game I otherwise love won't deter me from doing everything I possibly can in it.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

Nope.  I tend to play 60+ hour JRPGs.  And that 60+ hours is just like a basic playthrough.  I will try and do all that I can in one playthrough and go after superbosses, ultimate gear, waifu/husbando route.  Using what I'm playing right now as an example.  Ar Tonelico Qoga has 8 endings.  You have three girls and they each have a Neutral and True Ending.  Then there's a fourth girl true ending.  And there's the bad ending.  I could finagle and save at key points, but there's also a play for 100 hours trophy.  And I don't know if that's in total or if I need my in game clock to hit 100.  And then there's games like Cold Steel.  Just littered with missables and each waifu and husbando gets their own trophy.  CS3 was nice about it and you just had to view a scene near the end, but again, everyone got a trophy.

In other genres, I don't like speed runs.  Like in Shantae.  I'll hunt down every squid.  Find every magic.  Kill every boss without getting hit.  Do all the above with min health.  No probalo.  Run through the game really, really fast?  No thanks.

I'm a completionist, but not a trophy hunter. For me the main difference is that, a trophy hunter is these kind of people who don't care about games and just amass trophies, get many stacks of the same cheap game they don't even care about, etc.

I have been a completionist and liked challenges since I had a N64 and its magazine came with small books with trials to do for each game, and I did them because I like videogames and challenges in them, even if there were no trophies.

So I'm a completionist, I always complete 100% of my games, but I'm not a trophy hunter, which means that if I complete all the game content (Beat the game as many times as it takes, get every weapon, side-quests, all secrets and challenges, etc.) but there's a branless trophy for killing 100,000,000 enemies, and you just need to repeat like a brainless monkey an easy task that many times, wasting tens or hundreds of hours you could be exploring another or even many other games, then that's not what I am.

So yeah, I wish developers or whoever does the trophies put a bit of brain and effort on them, repeating an easy task a million times isn't hard, is throwing your life away, doing an ultra hard 15 or 20 seconds combi in a fightning game, that's a true achievement. You don't need brains to repeat the same thing over and over, but some people might not get the skill to execute a well times 20 second commands if they trained for years.

So many great games to play, books to read, music to hear, can't let boring and tedious achievements make you miss any of that.

• Like 3

I try to be a completionist. But if want to play something new i will. But i do try to lightly forces mine self to complete older stuff. Like after i finish these 2 half done games i will start x. Or if long RPG i will find a stopping point and go play a different game. Then come back. 

yes, because im a whore.

but also I do like to do dlc, and push myself into games i wouldnt normally do, but I cba with MPs at the best of times and certainly not during this pandemic. but mp i mainly play for fun, on a different account or whatever.

i will throw myself in blind to games that are difficult but after doing that a few times i got a bit burnt out so took it easy with some chillers and a few hard ones here and there.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

I am, and I am not.

I am in the sense that I will aim to earn all the trophies in a game where possible, UNLESS the requirements for certain trophies are too ridiculous to even contemplate,  In the past, I did commit to ridiculous grinds in the name of trophies.  I slogged through 10,000 kills each in Resistance 2 and Tank Battles.  I prestiged in the Tomb Raider 2013 multiplayer FOUR times on PS3 to unlock the General character, before the game was patched so that you only had to do it once.  I platted GTA V on both PS3 and PS4.  I ground out the MP requirements for 4 of the online Twisted Metal trophies three times each because they kept glitching on me.

I wouldn't do any of those things now though; looking back at how many hundreds of hours went into those 5 games alone, I have to wonder if my time wouldn't have been better spent elsewhere.  I mean, Twisted Metal is my rarest plat to this day, and I'm justifiably proud of it, but still..... was it really worth it?

Conversely, I'm now at a stage where I'm simply not prepared to do that kind of thing anymore.  I platted Battlefield Hardline fairly quickly, for example, but there's no way I'm prepared to grind out 40,000 online kills or reach level 150.  I'm aiming to start RDR2 later this year, but I don't know if I'm prepared to invest anywhere up to 200 hours in the pursuit of the platinum, especially when many of those hours will be spent grinding gold medals or doing side missions and collectibles.  MGS V is well over 100 hours, which may be too much, even though I'm a big fan of the series.

I've managed to keep my overall completion just above 90% for a long time now, and it won't bother me if that starts dropping a bit from here on out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

I am, and I am not.

I am in the sense that I will aim to earn all the trophies in a game where possible, UNLESS the requirements for certain trophies are too ridiculous to even contemplate,  In the past, I did commit to ridiculous grinds in the name of trophies.  I slogged through 10,000 kills each in Resistance 2 and Tank Battles.  I prestiged in the Tomb Raider 2013 multiplayer FOUR times on PS3 to unlock the General character, before the game was patched so that you only had to do it once.  I platted GTA V on both PS3 and PS4.  I ground out the MP requirements for 4 of the online Twisted Metal trophies three times each because they kept glitching on me.

I wouldn't do any of those things now though; looking back at how many hundreds of hours went into those 5 games alone, I have to wonder if my time wouldn't have been better spent elsewhere.  I mean, Twisted Metal is my rarest plat to this day, and I'm justifiably proud of it, but still..... was it really worth it?

Conversely, I'm now at a stage where I'm simply not prepared to do that kind of thing anymore.  I platted Battlefield Hardline fairly quickly, for example, but there's no way I'm prepared to grind out 40,000 online kills or reach level 150.  I'm aiming to start RDR2 later this year, but I don't know if I'm prepared to invest anywhere up to 200 hours in the pursuit of the platinum, especially when many of those hours will be spent grinding gold medals or doing side missions and collectibles.  MGS V is well over 100 hours, which may be too much, even though I'm a big fan of the series.

I've managed to keep my overall completion just above 90% for a long time now, and it won't bother me if that starts dropping a bit from here on out.

That's because you're getting older. I mean we all have lives. I no longer have the free time I did when I was 18 - 22 years old when I was going to college full time and still had enough energy to spend a few hours a day playing videogames. I have a lot more on my plate as opposed to over a decade ago.

You made with what you could. They are memories you can look back on and cherish. I wouldn't delete or change any of the gaming history I've done in my life, even long before achievements or trophies ever existed.

Yes and no. I will attempt to 100% my games as I've spent money on it and want to experience every penny out of it. DLCs I disregard. I'm not going to chase around all my games DLCs to keep 100%, that'll cost a lot of money too. However, if it has no great value to me then I will debate whether it is worth my efforts versus the reward. Latest example - SSS on Mercenaries on RE8. I'm doing them but not targeting for SSS, just SS because there is a reward tied to it. Adding in the extra effort for nothing in return isn't worth it.

• 2 years later...