What websites do you go for your gaming news?

Wavergray

Kotaku - like it or not they are usually first for exclusive news (Schreier? idk), and really while there are a few articles that raise eyebrows I can roll my eyes, move on and just look at the stuff that's relevant to me. Otherwise, I generally check GameFAQs, Gematsu, and I usually look through the trailers at E3/TGS, etc. to see if anything will catch my eye. The one thing I definitely do avoid is YouTube videos. 10 minutes (everytime thanks to ad optimisation!) of hearing some clown tell me what I can find out in 2 seconds on a written article - fuck off!

Long ago I used to go for GameSpot (well, when I was actually active on GameFAQs too..), and GTPlanet (because I was really into GT, but not as much after GT5). 

Nowadays, I don't go to any site for News, actually, other than the release date (that I can find on threads here, or official places), I simply avoid getting info on games that I'm looking forward, because News sites and developer trailers spoil 90% of the game before release.. This and the amount of rumors and speculation passed as News, makes me really not want to look for News anywhere. 

On this note, I'm still blind to anything related to KH3, DQ11, NnK2 and Nier Automata (other than the bit that I played), as well as anything related to P5R (other than the trailer shown during the concert). 

Destructoid.

They provide good, reliable coverage. After the debacles that took place over at Gamespot and IGN (and some of their highly debatable reviews), I refrain from visiting their websites completely.

I used to visit VG247 a long time ago as well, until they put a major spoiler of Metal Gear Solid V as a headline on their main page. I kid you not. The title was:

Spoiler

"Quiet's Ending" or something similar

I had not finished MGSV at that time, but that was enough for me to blacklist them. Haven't been to their website since, and I'm glad I haven't.

Plus: while I visited VG247 often, they also put a disproportionate amount of Destiny news on their website: what the weekly offers were, how to get all the newest Legendary weapons, all the newest Destiny videos of Arekkz ... I swear, they could've called the website "Destiny247" or "Arekkz247" and no one would've noticed the difference. Stay far away from their website. You're much better off elsewhere.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:56 PM, DaikichiKawachi said:

I mostly get my news from gaming personalities I follow and trust like Colin Moriarty and Jim Sterling. I also regularly check the various PlayStation subreddits and of course PSN Profiles. In terms of traditional gaming news websites I like Pushsquare best.

Push Square? I wouldn't go near that place and touch it with a ten foot pole. I heard the commentors there are the worst. And I think the writers of Push Square like to spin stories and make up lies just to get some clicks.

I also forgot one other gaming news site. Final Fantasy Union, I go there for the Final Fantasy news.

And to whoever said they used to go to GameFAQs, I can agree that site is nothing but trash.

I used to almost solely use GameSpot back in the day for reviews. Was active in the forums too, until they butchered the website with an overhaul (at least for me). I hate the layout of their website now, and haven’t watched any of their reviews in years as a result. Nowadays I just use Twitch and YouTube to see what a game I’m interested in is like. Rarely read/watch reviews anymore.

I pretty much make the rounds on a frequent basis between the following sites (since some of them feature stories or news that the others do not):

Game Informer
IGN
(main site and the Playstation/Nintendo forums)
Gematsu
US Gamer/Euro Gamer
(not very often, but usually several times a month)
Kotaku
PSN Profiles (the forum section on this awesome site)

Easy Allies (podcasts, videos, news)

Giant Bomb (not very often, but several times a month)

Edited by MossyOakRcn42
Fixed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MMX20 said:

Push Square? I wouldn't go near that place and touch it with a ten foot pole. I heard the commentors there are the worst. And I think the writers of Push Square like to spin stories and make up lies just to get some clicks.

News to me. They don't really have much in the way of editorials so I haven't noticed spin myself. As for comments, I don't read them or participate in them. I go here for that.

Edited by DaikichiKawachi

11 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

News to me. They don't really have much in the way of editorials so I haven't noticed spin myself. As for comments, I don't read them or participate in them. I go here for that.

Then you're lucky. I heard one of the moderators of Push Square is an asshole. And a ex-friend of mine goes there, but he too was harassed by the commentors and mods there.

Back in the day it used to be on sites like IGN and GameSpot, among many others, however since modern gaming journalism has taken a complete nosedive over past years I mostly get my news from places like here, YouTube, podcasts, and sometimes places like N4G at times.

Edited by BlindMango

None in particular. I just get my news from wherever they come to me, sometimes it's from members here, sometimes it's from friends, other times I unadvertedlyI'm reading something on IGN, Push Square, Gamespot or any site really, but I don't follow any in particular. Maybe YouTube I could say is one that I check a lot, but then again, I follow a number of people every now and then but I'm not really active checking on everything.

Barely have time to play, much less time to check on gaming news actively. =/

7 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

I'm sorry to hear that about your friend.

Thanks, but to be honest, he let his own arrogance and hatred of modern gaming (No offense to those who hate today's gaming) get to him by staying in Push Square. That, and not having a proper computer, internet and smartphone to help keep his site running. Could be wrong though.

Other than here, there are about 5 or 6 YouTube channels I watch on a regular basis whose tastes mostly match up with mine. If I want further information I can check out the sources they cite. A couple of them timestamp the various stories in their videos, which I GREATLY appreciate; I can skip over the items I don't care about without jumping around randomly to find the next news bit I want to see.