If trophies were gone forever, how would you react?

PraiseTheFluppi

The title pretty much says it all. If Sony decided that trophies won't be available anymore and every trophy you earned until today would disappear completely, how would that impact your life, your gaming habits? What would you think/do about it?

I thought about this a while ago. Trophies affect me more than I would think, and I believe that if Sony SOMEHOW deleted trophies and the whole system with it, I'd be devestated. At least for a while, my gaming life would change drastically.

I mean, the first thing I do when I buy a game is looking at the trophies. And I prefer a game I did not platinum yet over a game that has platinum already. I check what trophies games have, to see what kind of game it is, how hard it is, how long it is. Trophies are a kind of guide to me, before I play a game and throughout the whole playthrough. Not to mention the kind of addiction it is. I could get used to it, after all achievements and trophies weren't a thing in the past and they didn't bother me back then. But now I know trophy hunting, and if that just vanished - gaming wouldn't be the same for me.

And btw, I would sit crying in a corner over thousands of hours lost for trophies! ?

I know, this probably won't ever happen, but I think it's an interesting topic anyway.

How would you react? Would this make you stop playing games on PS? Completely? Would it affect you in any way at all? Would you be happy about it in any way? I'm interested to see your answers :D

Edited by PraiseTheFluppi
  • Like 2

Trophies 'discipline' my gaming life.  I play games I'm reasonably confident I can 100% and I generally stick with a game until I get 100%.  

Without trophies I'd certainly play a much smaller variety of games, and I'd probably be less likely to complete games.  Lack of trophies/achievements* is a big part of the reason I haven't adopted PC gaming.  Overall, I see myself gaming a lot less and probably jumping platform.  

*Yes, I know, Steam Achievements.  But, those really don't count.   

• Like 2

Honestly, if trophies stopped existing tomorrow, I would most likely end up using Mrs Bee's Switch as my main console going forward.  Other than that, not that much would change for me.  I collect trophies because they exist.  If they didn't, I would go on gaming as I did before they existed.

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 2

I would feel betrayed and let down, and probably start hating Sony. It's one thing if they stopped subsequent trophies, but deleting already earned trophies would make me want to boycott the company ?

In terms of gaming habits, I would stop being a completionist and just to the story and that's it. I would not bother with extra stuff like opening all the chests, doing the side quests etc. I'd just try fly through the story before shelving the game and moving onto something else, and would not bother with undue exploration or trophies either. 

I would also probably give up on playstation and buy a nintendo switch instead, as that's essentially trophy-less gaming. I don't have a Switch despite all the great games because there's no trophies, and I would rather use my gaming time earning trophies on Playstation than just playing nintendo games without any reward in sight. Trophy's heavily influence my gaming habits and how I play a game. 

• Like 2

I'd start playing games a bit more casually and spend more time on games I already have (such as playing through the same game multiple times). Well, more like, I'd go back to doing that. Before trophies were a thing or before I started going for trophies, I played the games I liked and completed most of them (even 10+ times for some games), but didn't feel the need to start a new game right after completing the previous game.

Chances are I'd also spend more time on hobbies other than gaming.

So it wouldn't be all that bad for me and might even result in me enjoying things a lot more than I do now (not that I dislike the current situation, but I do occasionally think not hunting trophies would be better).

Edited by viech54
  • Like 1

Nothing would change for me, I've always played and completed games I enjoy since before some trophy hunters were even born xD. I will just continue doing exactly what I'm doing now.

However, the evil side of me would have a giggle at all the more obsessive trophy whores melting down over their trophies coming to an end. All those years they spent on playing a trophy system rather than enjoying themselves playing the games, suddenly it all becomes a waste of those years as they have nothing left to show for it, and it all comes crushing down around them xD.