PS4 is the worst at HDD management

Milktastrophe

46 minutes ago, Milktastrophe said:

An update file wasn't downloading earlier. The error said to free up 20GB. So I delete a 30GB game. Update file downloads... it's 450MB. 1f910.png

I hope they fix this kind of thing for PS5.

Downloading the update also "checks" the game size too, so you also have to have enough free space for the entire game size as well

• Like 3

On the PS3, I have close to 45 different games downloaded (PS1 and PS3 games) on a 1TB HDD and STILL have 500+ GBs to download more!! 

On the PS4, I have about 12 games downloaded on a 1TB HDD and have over 400GB of space on there. That’s a huge difference. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Sony has officially already revealed a couple months ago the next console is not download only. But computers are computers, so yup, there will be storage problems.

Storage problems are the worst. I always feel like the storage is set as low as possible but just high enough that people don't riot. It's almost a requirement to expand your consoles storage and it's never cheap.

Nintendo actually did it well by letting you use any old SD card, with the Wii, DSI, 3DS and Switch. PS Vita memory cards are just terrible, the 64GB Vita Memory is almost guaranteed to fail so 32GB are the best you can have; I've already filled my 32GB Vita card. Vita should have used Micro-SD cards in retrospect. The memory cards are already very expensive and it's only going to get worse as the supply gets smaller. 

250GB PS3 Super Slim owner, storage was never a problem until I got PS Plus. I have a model 1 PS4, it's always filled with as many games as I can cram into it. Having games on disc doesn't help with saving space at all in my experience. A lot of games have so many patches and stuff that they take up a lot of space regardless. I'm not even sure why I need to put in a disc (besides to prove I own it ) No Mans Sky to play it because that game is almost entirely different at this point. AAA games are getting so large, I'm required to delete 5-6 games to fit just one. Fallout 76, Spyro Reignited, Valkyria Cronicles 4 and Project Diva: Future Tone was all the PS4 games I could for a while; all the games were really fun so it wasn't a big deal. 

Updates are just the worst. You are required to have the space for the entire update, game updates, the game file is only slightly larger then it was before the update. Fallout 76 was the worst offender have seen with 50GB patches that only fixed bugs. 

• Like 1

Playstation is just messy to code, programmers have to do extra work just to keep piracy out. PC installs seem fine. Sure its still big but not as big as Sony's stuff. And games arent even true 4k quality yet. Wait till those roll out if you think current installs are huge....wanna play some 8k?

1 hour ago, GUDGER666 said:

The worst is when you download a patch and it says copying for ages! Sometimes its just faster to re download that game. 

Amen...what on earth does "Copying..." even mean?! Dear console, are you secretly copying the entire Wikipedia database, because that would explain WHY IT TAKES SO LONG!

been rocking a 1tb sshd on my ps4 since i initially bought it and never once had storage issues.  if you dont care for trophy screenshots i highly recommend turning that feature off as itll save you a ton of space for worthless loading screen trophy shots, and itll save you time as you dont need to go through all the folders deleting screenshots you dont want.  that being said i also delete games (not save files) that i will no longer play, whats the point of having them on your system.....so that you MIGHT play it again in 3 years?

• Like 1

I've got two 4 TB external HDDs connected to my PS4....and I need to get another now since I'm almost out of space. I'm glad you're allowed to use external drives though because it makes things so much more easier. Wish the PS3 allowed the same because the 1tb I have in there is almost full as well. Will probably need to find a compatible 2tb drive soon for it

1 hour ago, majob said:

I've got two 4 TB external HDDs connected to my PS4....and I need to get another now since I'm almost out of space. I'm glad you're allowed to use external drives though because it makes things so much more easier. Wish the PS3 allowed the same because the 1tb I have in there is almost full as well. Will probably need to find a compatible 2tb drive soon for it

So you can have 2 or more externals plugged in at once? I have been wondering about that for a while. I have a 4tb WD elements plugged in right now and was going to swap with my seagate backup 4tb plus hub (has 2 usb ports on front) because i need more ports (for my PSVR).  Can you move games between the two externals or do you have to move it to the internal first and then move it over to the other?

Also, I read once a long time ago that PS3 can't use 2TB drives.  I upgraded mine to 1.5TB instead a few months ago (originally 160GB I upped to 500GB). Now I have space for all my vita and PS3 games.

5 minutes ago, MySenkai said:

So you can have 2 or more externals plugged in at once? I have been wondering about that for a while. I have a 4tb WD elements plugged in right now and was going to swap with my seagate backup 4tb plus hub (has 2 usb ports on front) because i need more ports (for my PSVR).  Can you move games between the two externals or do you have to move it to the internal first and then move it over to the other?

Also, I read once a long time ago that PS3 can't use 2TB drives.  I upgraded mine to 1.5TB instead a few months ago (originally 160GB I upped to 500GB). Now I have space for all my vita and PS3 games.

You can connect more than one drive but you can only operate one at a time. I simply keep both of mines connected so I can switch between the two as I please. Only problem is that as you put more games on the drive, the longer it takes for the console to read and make the games available for use. Sometimes I have to wait up to 20 minutes depending on the size of the game

5 hours ago, Atom1cMoose said:

that being said i also delete games (not save files) that i will no longer play, whats the point of having them on your system.....so that you MIGHT play it again in 3 years?

I never would've platted Hotline Miami or Final Fantasy X if they weren't taking up space on my HDD. Need to finish up games to free up space to play others.

(My plan didn't work because FFX is bundled with FFX2 and I haven't platted that one)