PS4 is the worst at HDD management

Milktastrophe

The PS4 isn't the "worst" for HDD management, people are. People want to download all 247 games they own to their console, but they don't have the sufficient space, so they complain. Just have a few games on your HDD that you currently play and once you're done/tired of them, hit that delete button. Sure you can upgrade to have more space, but you should treat it the same. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MySenkai said:

So you can have 2 or more externals plugged in at once? I have been wondering about that for a while. I have a 4tb WD elements plugged in right now and was going to swap with my seagate backup 4tb plus hub (has 2 usb ports on front) because i need more ports (for my PSVR).  Can you move games between the two externals or do you have to move it to the internal first and then move it over to the other?

Also, I read once a long time ago that PS3 can't use 2TB drives.  I upgraded mine to 1.5TB instead a few months ago (originally 160GB I upped to 500GB). Now I have space for all my vita and PS3 games.

My PS4 won't even let use a 2nd external HD with my 1st one unplugged. it says I already have external storage, and to use that.

Also, my PS4 said I was out of room with 110 GB left....

Edit: I once had to uninstall 90GB worth of games to DL a 6-7GB DLC....iy said in needed like 500MB more free space to DL it….

Edited by Floorkiller74
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milktastrophe said:

I never would've platted Hotline Miami or Final Fantasy X if they weren't taking up space on my HDD. Need to finish up games to free up space to play others.

(My plan didn't work because FFX is bundled with FFX2 and I haven't platted that one)

=) thats a good plan, but i suppose i meant specifically after you had finished a game. there are plenty of people that just like to keep it installed on the system. i feel overwhelmed if there are too many games on the XMB so i usually limit it to 3 or 4 games that i'm playing or will play next

On 7/4/2019 at 2:56 AM, Milktastrophe said:

An update file wasn't downloading earlier. The error said to free up 20GB. So I delete a 30GB game. Update file downloads... it's 450MB. 1f910.png

PS4 file system is Unix based. All Unix based file systems behave very badly when the disk is full or near that. To make it better all downloads are compressed, packed, bundled, or a ton of these things together. The PS4 surely is making its best effort not to make a mess that's why the OS is extremely conservative at available disk space for any updates or installs. Because a problem while this is being processed can easily mean a corrupted HD.

Also remember everything is encrypted inside the PS3 and PS4, takes creates further mess. Recovery utilities in file systems in OSes were not created to handle encrypted stuff, I doubt Sony changed that or had the expertise to do it.

I already had 2 crashes on PS3s, one because the disk was full, the other a crashed save and consequential shutdown. On the PS4 one because the console crashed while shutting down. A problem at shutdown on either system is a sure corrupt HD, something that in computer terms is ridiculous.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 6:32 PM, MySenkai said:

So you can have 2 or more externals plugged in at once? I have been wondering about that for a while. I have a 4tb WD elements plugged in right now and was going to swap with my seagate backup 4tb plus hub (has 2 usb ports on front) because i need more ports (for my PSVR).

I was so sure this wouldn’t work but alas I was wrong. This would indeed work. The only limitation is that any HD must be connected directly to the console. 

Anyway, connecting an external HD I had lying around to my PS4 was the best idea ever. I added 1 TB on top of the internal 500 GB and I now have a ton of games installed with room to spare. It has allowed me to replay games for some more trophies, games I wanted to keep around for this purpose but had to always delete to install any new game. I now also have enough space for my backup of Telltale games, Driveclub etc. Sure, it might be even more neat to replace the internal HD, but this is so much easier. And in my case, ‘free’.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, SnowxSakura said:

Downloading the update also "checks" the game size too, so you also have to have enough free space for the entire game size as well

@SnowxSakura Said it best

basically if your game is already a 100GB file but theres an update file of 5GB

you basically need 105GB+ free storage to download that 5GB update file

kinda bs but thats how its been programmed 

On 7/10/2019 at 3:31 PM, Crimsonfire44 said:

The PS4 isn't the "worst" for HDD management, people are. People want to download all 247 games they own to their console, but they don't have the sufficient space, so they complain. Just have a few games on your HDD that you currently play and once you're done/tired of them, hit that delete button. Sure you can upgrade to have more space, but you should treat it the same. 

I have like 20 or 25 games on my PS4 right now (very few of them are indy games) and still have space. 

I don't get people who run out of space unless (like you said) they are downloading literally every game they own.