Unreleased - River City Girls

AJ_-_808

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usgamer.net/amp/beat-up-baddies-and-rescue-your-boyfriends-in-river-city-girls-this-september

I'm honestly surprised no one jumped on this yet.  Some role-reversal with the girls rescuing their boyfriends.  I have a feeling this will bomb based off that concept alone, despite how well it may play or how good the story might be. 

The developer may be alienating a huge portion of their playerbase, but I hope I'm wrong. 

Aside from now probably wanting a 16bit River City remaster, what are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freddie1989 said:

Looks like it belongs in 1995 as opposed to 2019 and what is with this underage schoolgirl thing.....its weird!!

As someone who actually lived during 1995 (I was roughly 15), this looks far too polished and smoothly animated to look like it came from mid-90s console gaming. Again, people underestimate just how primitive games from the 80s and 90s looked compared to today, and just how difficult it is to duplicate that look on a modern console. You can capture the essence of the style, but you can't quite duplicate it exactly without deliberately downgrading the hardware.

• Like 2

Looks pretty good. I honestly like the whole spin on the concept. Will be nice to play the girls rescuing the boyfriends for once. From what I saw on the trailer, the gameplay looks like classic beat 'em up action with solid animation, a nice pixelated art style, annnnnndddd I like the girls, they're cute, so yeah, I'm sold. Also, it's being developed by WayForward Technologies and I absolutely adored their revival of Double Dragon with Double Dragon Neon on the PS3. Played that one to death. I noticed Arc Sys is involved as well, so this one is shaping out quite nicely already.

Really interested in this one. ^_^

• Like 1

16 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

As someone who actually lived during 1995 (I was roughly 15), this looks far too polished and smoothly animated to look like it came from mid-90s console gaming. Again, people underestimate just how primitive games from the 80s and 90s looked compared to today, and just how difficult it is to duplicate that look on a modern console. You can capture the essence of the style, but you can't quite duplicate it exactly without deliberately downgrading the hardware.

I just don't get the idea of making this low quality of game given the capabilities that are around these days. Maybe the Japanese are a strange bunch.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2019 at 3:24 PM, Honor_Hand said:

It's being developed by WayForward Technologies and I absolutely adored their revival of Double Dragon with Double Dragon Neon on the PS3.

Uh oh...that means...

The one- or local two-player bare-knuckle brawling is complemented by spectacular 16-bit-style graphics

Yup, fuck that.

Edited by dj_helyx

On 7/5/2019 at 9:33 AM, AJ_-_808 said:

I'm honestly surprised no one jumped on this yet.  Some role-reversal with the girls rescuing their boyfriends.  I have a feeling this will bomb based off that concept alone, despite how well it may play or how good the story might be. 

The developer may be alienating a huge portion of their playerbase, but I hope I'm wrong. 

saying this probably means u don't really know Wayforward too well lol. They make the Shantae games dude. They've always made female protag stuff with cutesy aesthetic. their playerbase is prepped for that. weird take

Game looks really good and prob will be since it's from the shantae boys. I'll get it eventually, prob on a sale tho

• Like 1