If you gave yourself a tip before starting this game what would it be?

Xtree

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Spoiler

Pick up the free DLC: Breaking Dead. This DLC allows you to use zombies to bring you stone, iron, and marble slabs, logs, produce crops, grapes from vineyard and work production stations. It took me a while to get them up and running,but now I am able to focus on my writing, alchemy, dungeon, etc. To get Zombies, you first need to unlock the basement door for Snake, then you'll speak with Gunter. Gunter will tell you to mine some zombies from a nearby collapsed wall north of your GY (though you may have to clear the path first). To the north, you'll find a huge tree that can become a sawmill for your zombies (you'll need one to chop and one to transport). Northwest from there is the quarry with a stone wall, a marble wall and an iron mine. You can have 2 zombies per resource and up to three porters (transporters). They will carry the slabs to your workshop without stopping. Gunter will give you enough Zombie Juice for three more zombies, but you'll need an Alchemy Workbench I to make more (1x Blood + 1x Health Powder [mill a pumpkin, cabbage or crop waste on the Alchemy Mill]). Then you'll need a resurrection table in your morgue, a fresh corpse, and 1x Zombie Juice + 10x Faith. Early in the game, I found I was Faith starved, but investing into your Zombies is worth the time-saving.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This game was fairly easy from the get go. Only took like a week and a few days to platinum it and the fish I left for the very end it only took an hour and a half to 2 hours at the village fishing spot so it wasn't all that bad. I've had longer grinds for less lol. All in all the game is very easy. Maybe I should have used speed boost potions but honestly never did. I don't exactly have any advice for anyone except if you aren't patient don't leave the fishing for the end do it in between some things here and there and give the astrologer exactly what he asks for so you don't get a bugged out trophy same goes for any and all missions. Save your bones, skulls, blood and fat from like.. every corpse and after your church/graveyard hits 50 and 200 just burn the bodies after that instead of burying more. Make sure if you've got the dlc to add as many zombies as you can to each of their outposts and as many of them as the game will allow to half automate your resources to make the rest of the game much easier. Your garden is kind of pointless except to coax the donkey to bring you corpses and to help with some food trophies as you can make health potions and energy potions in place of the food. Your tavern when you can unlock it is your fastest and easiest way to make money so you'll need the grape/hop farm going almost constantly to keep the alcoholics buzzed and spending. Hope this helps others.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On 10/20/2021 at 9:00 PM, Kwotey said:

I would say keep the wiki guide open. This game tells you next to nothing 1f635.png1f602.png

This, 100% helped me understand everything about how the game works especially in terms of missions and crafting.

Another thing thing, save up 2 silver to buy a teleport stone from Horadric. You can teleport back home and to places literally across the map in an instant, whenever, because the cooldown is nominal.

Last tip, just because I'm experiencing this, if you don't want to grind cash in the late game like I am, start saving as much as cash as possible because cash is pretty scarce IMO (since you can't sell quite a bit of your inventory); you'll need 12 gold coins for the aristocrat papers, and they're tied to like 4+ end game missions.

• Like 1

On 2022-09-02 at 9:41 AM, Long-Ryde said:

Last tip, just because I'm experiencing this, if you don't want to grind cash in the late game like I am, start saving as much as cash as possible because cash is pretty scarce IMO (since you can't sell quite a bit of your inventory); you'll need 12 gold coins for the aristocrat papers, and they're tied to like 4+ end game missions.

I read that the tavern is supposed to be a good source of income. Is it a good idea to start this DLC mid-game so you can have some money coming in regularly for the end game stuff?

10 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I read that the tavern is supposed to be a good source of income. Is it a good idea to start this DLC mid-game so you can have some money coming in regularly for the end game stuff?

To be honest, I haven't started the tavern yet in that DLC, because I was working on other elements (and started the DLC late) so I'm unsure of how much money the Tavern nets you and what you have to do to do so for it, like if it's worth the time and energy. I definitely had to grind for money though so perhaps having the tavern in your possession will make you not have to grind as hard, but again, not sure what the tavern requires for you to earn money from it yet, because sometimes it's easier to grind money by doing crates with zombies, etc. So I can't make that juxtaposition for you.

But otherwise, I spent a lot of TIME, just straight up, literal minutes IRL playing the game, getting stone, logs, ore, etc. When in reality, if you have the Breaking Dead DLC, the zombies that you can get by utilizing corpses + zombie potions will stock all of those resources up for you without you having to use your tools and energy and time going to said places. So I would have started the DLC early, to try and get the zombies working for me, so that I wouldn't have to spend time getting resources.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-09-06 at 7:03 PM, Long-Ryde said:

To be honest, I haven't started the tavern yet in that DLC, because I was working on other elements (and started the DLC late) so I'm unsure of how much money the Tavern nets you and what you have to do to do so for it, like if it's worth the time and energy. I definitely had to grind for money though so perhaps having the tavern in your possession will make you not have to grind as hard, but again, not sure what the tavern requires for you to earn money from it yet, because sometimes it's easier to grind money by doing crates with zombies, etc. So I can't make that juxtaposition for you.

But otherwise, I spent a lot of TIME, just straight up, literal minutes IRL playing the game, getting stone, logs, ore, etc. When in reality, if you have the Breaking Dead DLC, the zombies that you can get by utilizing corpses + zombie potions will stock all of those resources up for you without you having to use your tools and energy and time going to said places. So I would have started the DLC early, to try and get the zombies working for me, so that I wouldn't have to spend time getting resources.

So it turns out the tavern is great money after all. You do need to produce a metric shit-ton of alcohol to generate good revenue consistently, so growing a lot of gold star grapes and hops and converting your basement into a booze factory will help a lot.

Other than that, the 3 best tips I would give new players:

1) Speed Potions

Like Xtree said, make speed potions as soon as possible and always keep them stocked. You really have no idea how slow you move until you start using them, and it makes a massive difference to how productive you can be in each daily cycle.

2) Mass produce muffins for stamina/energy.

Muffins give a large amount of energy back and are extremely easy to make. All you need is flour (wheat + water) and honey. Start doing honey runs every couple days following the path northwest from your house up to the top of the map. You will encounter 5-6 honey trees along the way and the harvesting the last one will kill you and warp you directly back home.

Save up all the bees you collect from these runs so you can use them to create beehives at the apiary just northwest of your house, on the hill beside the path. You can also buy extra bees and honey from the beekeeper in the village if needed. Eventually you will have 7-8 hives plus the two nearby trees that will allow you to farm a couple dozen honey right beside your house. Use one of the plots in your farm to keep a consistent source of wheat, and set up the water pump on the well in your yard to collect water for you. You will have a cheap, unlimited source of energy and never have to worry about your stamina again.

Alternatively, later on energy potions are cheap and easy to mass produce at your alchemy station if you prefer those.

3) Buy a trade license and get your farming business up and running ASAP

I was dumb and waited for ages to get the farm up and running because I didn’t want to pay the measly 30 or 50 silver or whatever it was. Little did I know, that initial investment pales in comparison to the gold you can make every week selling vegetables crates with the merchant. You can easily pull in 1.5 G/week through your business.

Make some Quality Fertilizer I or II at the Church workbench, and use your farm to grow large numbers of gold pumpkins and onions. The shoots and roots prayer can increase your yield even further if you wish (I never bothered though). With high quality fertilizer you should get more seeds back than you plant every week, so you’ll never have to worry about buying more seeds. Just keep growing pumpkins or onions endlessly, pack as many gold vegetable crates as you can each week then go collect your money the day after the Merchant leaves the village.

I would also highly recommend doing the same thing in the vineyard to make wine. If you don’t have the tavern DLC you can sell gold wine to the Merchant instead, just keep in mind that the Merchant’s stock does not reset so the price will drastically decrease over time. If you don’t have the DLC to sell wine through the tavern then you might be better off producing silver wine instead, as you can sell this to Horadric and make consistently good money.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I‘m thinking about getting the game. What would be the best route to 100%? Should I start with all dlcs and just be careful with those Alchemy books, or is it better to just play the base game until Plat and then get into the DLCs? The game looks awesome, but I‘m kind of overwhelmed by all the content.

31 minutes ago, Cortez2984 said:

I‘m thinking about getting the game. What would be the best route to 100%? Should I start with all dlcs and just be careful with those Alchemy books, or is it better to just play the base game until Plat and then get into the DLCs? The game looks awesome, but I‘m kind of overwhelmed by all the content.

I know the feeling. I was quite overwhelmed too when I started.

In the end I decided to pretty much play the game the way it was released, focusing on the main game before tackling the DLCs. You can start the DLCs whenever you want, and there are even advantages to starting them early (like $$), but it can also be a lot to focus on at once.

It may be better to wait until you’ve got a grasp of all the base mechanics and a decent foothold in the flow of the main game before you delve into them. This game keeps you VERY busy, and it’s easy to end up with way too much on your plate to handle in each daily cycle.

With that said though, the one DLC I would definitely recommend starting ASAP is the zombies one. The zombies will allow you to automate a lot of the most tedious processes in the game, like collecting wood and stone or delivering goods from your farm to the market, freeing up a lot of time each day that you will be able to put towards more important tasks.

Eventually you’ll get to a point in the mid-late game where you’ve got a solid routine and things will be running quite smoothly, which is definitely a good time to start chipping away at the DLC stuff imo.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@dieselmanchild I‘m enjoying the game a lot, but I just realized I might have screwed up big time. When I started the game there was a Speed Potion recipe in the basement. I learned it. Now about 12 hours into the game, starting with alchemy and looking at the guide I‘m afraid that I shouldn‘t have read the scroll. Did I screw myself out of the trophy?

4 hours ago, Cortez2984 said:

@dieselmanchild I‘m enjoying the game a lot, but I just realized I might have screwed up big time. When I started the game there was a Speed Potion recipe in the basement. I learned it. Now about 12 hours into the game, starting with alchemy and looking at the guide I‘m afraid that I shouldn‘t have read the scroll. Did I screw myself out of the trophy?

I don’t remember anything about a Speed Potion recipe being found in the basement. As far as I remember, the ‘Alchemy Recipe scrolls’ are either bought from Clotho in the swamp, or given as quest rewards from one of the DLCs, so it’s quite odd you found one down there. 

Unfortunately learning any recipes from scrolls can risk voiding the trophy, but I wouldn’t panic too hard just yet. I just double checked and the ‘Master Alchemist’ trophy requires you to discover 20 recipes. However, the guide lists over 25 different recipes and it’s possible there are even a few more if you check the wiki.

As long as you don’t use any more scrolls I think you should still be able to unlock the trophy. Just use the ingredients listed in the trophy guide or from the wiki so you can “discover” the rest of the potions manually. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 18.3.2023 at 0:48 AM, dieselmanchild said:

I don’t remember anything about a Speed Potion recipe being found in the basement. As far as I remember, the ‘Alchemy Recipe scrolls’ are either bought from Clotho in the swamp, or given as quest rewards from one of the DLCs, so it’s quite odd you found one down there. 

Unfortunately learning any recipes from scrolls can risk voiding the trophy, but I wouldn’t panic too hard just yet. I just double checked and the ‘Master Alchemist’ trophy requires you to discover 20 recipes. However, the guide lists over 25 different recipes and it’s possible there are even a few more if you check the wiki.

As long as you don’t use any more scrolls I think you should still be able to unlock the trophy. Just use the ingredients listed in the trophy guide or from the wiki so you can “discover” the rest of the potions manually. Good luck!

I just got the Master Alchemist trophy. Apparently it also counts if you find different recipes for the same elixir. I didn‘t even finish crafting what is in the guide‘s list and the trophy just popped. Yeah! This game is awesome.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cortez2984 said:

I just got the Master Alchemist trophy. Apparently it also counts if you find different recipes for the same elixir. I didn‘t even finish crafting what is in the guide‘s list and the trophy just popped. Yeah! This game is awesome.

That’s great, congrats! I’m glad you’re enjoying the game. I thought this one was such a hidden gem. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I‘m loving it. Reminds me of Harvest Moon on SNES 20 years ago. Just better in every way. I didn‘t play a more relaxing game in years. I will try to start with some DLC content now. I was very surprised that I need 12g for all those Notes to continue most questlines. I thought I was doing quite well with 10g after 130 days LOL

• 3 months later...

I've just started the game and I'm really liking it so far, even if I do feel like I'm just aimlessly wandering around with no idea on what to do.

Everyone keeps mentioning DLC, I've got all the DLC but when do they kick in? will it be obvious or are they "hidden" within the vanilla game?