How the hell do I beat the master tournaments???

I'm stuck trying to get the gold on the Master difficulty tournaments, and it seems almost impossible to get 1st place no matter which car I use. The cars in front of me keep blocking my way forward, and if I make it near the car in front, that car boosts away from me with nitro, preventing me from reaching 1st place. ?

Hi. I haven't played the game (I don't think it is something that interests me) so I could be wrong. This comes from a website I read about the game last week.

I read that in order to outsmart the rubber banding AI you should start the race off slowly, letting them be in the win for the first little while; once you've had enough put some effort into getting to first place.

Give that a go. Also do get back to us and let us know if it works.

Edited by GarryKE
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, GarryKE said:

*Snip*

I guess the question is if OT does follow the Tips & Strategies from the Trophy Guide or not: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/8513-horizon-chase-turbo-trophy-guide

.. because there is a passage included about blocking cars and car in first plays driving away because of the rubber banding. >> Important because other players don't need to ask if basic things are known.

Edited by Geridian
  • Like 1

Going through the Master tournament races right now myself, currently about 2/3 through them with golds.

#1 tip: Don’t use any nitros until the final lap.

Optional #2 tip: If you can manage it, don’t get the last nitro token on the track until the final lap. You want to be betting all your boosts on the final lap.

Basically, just do your best work your way through the heaps of cars for the first lap. In three-lap races, I’m usually between 7th and 10th place heading into the second lap. At the end of the second lap I’m typically 4th or 5th, and then as soon as I cross the starting line for the final lap I kick in my first boost. I then use the rest of them throughout the final lap, being careful only to trigger each when I have a clear path to passing whatever car in front of me. (Ramming the tail end of a car while boosting is the worst thing you can do.)

• Like 4

It's very hard but not impossible. Playing on multiplayer local can help if you partner gets the 1st and 2nd place with you. The most important thing is that you need to save all your nitros for the last lap. Nano is probably the best choice to win the tournaments/endurance. Also you CAN TIE(On the guide says that you can't), but you can, just if you won THE LAST RACE of the tournament(In this case the game will give you gold even if you tied). I have the platinum trophy and won at least 4 tournaments tied with the AI. For example: Playing coop on the Australia Master Tournament I got 2nd place on 1st, 2nd and 3rd race, got 1st only on the last race, tied with the AI and still got gold. 

PS: I have a print screen showing the score of the last tournament when the trophy popped. It was a tie and still gold.

Edited by Hibari-shugosha
  • Like 3

Usually you'll need to get 1st in 3 of the races then at least 2nd on a 4th race as the AI for the lead will never drop down from 1st or 2nd place, might happen but it's very rare. Although make sure you don't get 2nd place on the last race as tieing with the AI if they come first will put them in the lead on the final scoreboard rather than you. Save all the nitro for the last lap. I used the Explorer car that I got from Gold on previous cup and that car did pretty well. Just keep at it and you'll get there, the hardest cup at least for me was the 6th one in the Master Tournament, the second race I never got past 3rd place but the lead AI happened to change places alot on that particaular course.

Edited by HornieDee88

3 hours ago, zombiesateme said:

Besides Nano, what are some other decent cars to use for the master tournament? So far I have 2 where I’ll have to retry for gold and want an idea of all around best cars to test.

I used the Macchina and Gentleman cars. Anything with high Handling is good for turns. Also that helped to save all my Nitros for the last lap. Much easier to get 1st place.

• Like 1

I used the Explorer car for nearly all cups. I didnt went for the coins ( too difficult to get for me) and tried to pick up the easy nitros. Because of the extra nitro from the Explorer car and or nitro pick ups i could make a couple of more mistakes.

For Japan and Hawaï i went for the Gentleman car because of the great handling.

Try save all nitros for the last lap and use them in that lap on straight roads or easy corners. Keep atleast 2 nitros for the nr1. Most of the time i managed to be nr1 at 3/4th (or later if i made a lot mistakes) on the final lap. 

If you finished 3rd on a map just continue because its free practice and maybe you will tie/win by winning the final map and getting an equal amount of points.

• Like 1

I've completed 6/12 tournaments yesterday. For the first tournament I was using Gentleman, but switched to Nano for the other 5. I always try to get all tokens as early as possible and to pick up all additional nitros. Furthermore, I try to use at least one nitro per lap and I save my last nitro for overtaking the leader. With this strat, I won 5/6 tournaments on first try. Let's see if this will also go well for the remaining tournaments.

Edited by AvengedEvil
Typo
  • Like 1

i really dont see why people think this is very hard. like lots of people said, save your nitros until the last lap and dont hit shit. high handling car like nano is all you need. the platinum, especially the 109 track long race is a fucking slog though and a terrible idea to implement into a game.

• Like 1

Its hard because you actually need to race good instead of rubberbanding with average laps and still win:p

The 109 endurance was annoyingly long but easy af. Ive won with 100 points difference of the nr 2 with a lot horrible/3rd to 5th place finishes because i didnt bother to go for 1st anymore

Continued with my strat mentioned above and won 9/12 tournaments on first try. The other three, I completed on second try.

I don't understand why people think this game is hard. For me, its difficulty is a 3/10 at most, and it took me a little bit over 20 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Im now doing the Master tournament and im gonna write down each car i used unlike what the guide says dont use macchina in every tournament it might be the "best car" but master tournament is really situational

i'll update once i finish other tournaments as well

California- Macchina
Chile- Fancy Grey
Brazil- Cruiser
South Africa- Cruiser
Greece- Infinity
Iceland- Orient
UAE- Macchina

Update: Used Ladybug in rest of the races because of the number of curves especially in japan

Edited by gtoldunmu

Just finished everything, it's not hard. Only difficult tracks I encountered were towards the middle & very end of the Master Tournaments list, with 3/4 tracks that have very sharp turns.

I just used the Explorer for every single race.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2019 at 5:17 AM, Hibari-shugosha said:

It's very hard but not impossible. Playing on multiplayer local can help if you partner gets the 1st and 2nd place with you. The most important thing is that you need to save all your nitros for the last lap. Nano is probably the best choice to win the tournaments/endurance. Also you CAN TIE(On the guide says that you can't), but you can, just if you won THE LAST RACE of the tournament(In this case the game will give you gold even if you tied). I have the platinum trophy and won at least 4 tournaments tied with the AI. For example: Playing coop on the Australia Master Tournament I got 2nd place on 1st, 2nd and 3rd race, got 1st only on the last race, tied with the AI and still got gold. 

PS: I have a print screen showing the score of the last tournament when the trophy popped. It was a tie and still gold.

I can second that, just did it on Master. Won 2nd on the first two races, then gold on the other two. Tied with AI and got gold.

Between Macchina and Nano (my top 2 cars), I feel the Macchina is best for Tournaments because of the extra speed. I don't know how you guys like the Gentleman, I can't see a darn inch in front of me with that car!