glurak400

what is that

25 posts in this topic

The developers of this dreck, have been rehashing the shit out of the franchise and released multiple lists over the last few months (7 at the last count) but it's nothing more or less than retail grade shovelware that started out on the iPad.

"Shovelware". People keep tossing that term about, I don't think it means what they think it means.

2 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

"Shovelware". People keep tossing that term about, I don't think it means what they think it means.

Shovelware is a computer jargon for software bundles noted more for the quantity of what is included rather than for the quality or usefulness.[1]

The metaphor implies that the creators showed little care for the quality of the original software, as if the new compilation or version had been created by indiscriminately adding titles "by the shovel" in the same way someone would shovel bulk material into a pile.

35 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

Shovelware is a computer jargon for software bundles noted more for the quantity of what is included rather than for the quality or usefulness.[1]

The metaphor implies that the creators showed little care for the quality of the original software, as if the new compilation or version had been created by indiscriminately adding titles "by the shovel" in the same way someone would shovel bulk material into a pile.

Yup, you used to get these CD-ROMs full of programs back when the format was relatively novel. 3.5" floppies could only hold so much, so people went buck wild with all the crap you could fit on a CD. So you'd get these CDs off a computer magazine because maybe you really want to use this neat bookkeeping software the diskmaker is talking up. Then you get it, and it has that software, plus some crappy Baby Bounce game, a Hang Man game, a program for computing azimuth, and a bunch of other crap you didn't want and barely works. And you got to look for it buried in some unintuitive menu, or through a slew of folders that only makes sense to the guy that made the CD. "Crap" is only part of the definition of shovelware. The other part, indeed the main part, is that it's bundled together in mass quantities and in such a way that it's annoying to separate out from the part you wanted.

So say like you bought a 5 game compilation for your PS4, and you only wanted to play 1 of those games because you're terrible at bargain shopping. You put the disc in and it loads all five trophy lists in when you only wanted the one loaded in. And say for some reason the ability to delete 0% lists didn't exist, so now you have 4 unwanted lists on your profile. Those 4 unwanted lists are a metaphor for the original concept of shovelware.

26 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

Yup, you used to get these CD-ROMs full of programs back when the format was relatively novel. 3.5" floppies could only hold so much, so people went buck wild with all the crap you could fit on a CD. So you'd get these CDs off a computer magazine because maybe you really want to use this neat bookkeeping software the diskmaker is talking up. Then you get it, and it has that software, plus some crappy Baby Bounce game, a Hang Man game, a program for computing azimuth, and a bunch of other crap you didn't want and barely works. And you got to look for it buried in some unintuitive menu, or through a slew of folders that only makes sense to the guy that made the CD. "Crap" is only part of the definition of shovelware. The other part, indeed the main part, is that it's bundled together in mass quantities and in such a way that it's annoying to separate out from the part you wanted.

So say like you bought a 5 game compilation for your PS4, and you only wanted to play 1 of those games because you're terrible at bargain shopping. You put the disc in and it loads all five trophy lists in when you only wanted the one loaded in. And say for some reason the ability to delete 0% lists didn't exist, so now you have 4 unwanted lists on your profile. Those 4 unwanted lists are a metaphor for the original concept of shovelware.

Nice pointless discussion, but I doubt anyone cares.

8 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

You do. Otherwise you wouldn't have replied. ;)

14 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

And people wonder why I am a dick to everyone all the time. 😂

11 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

You do. Otherwise you wouldn't have replied. ;)

What shovelware means? No, I don't care. That someone else is wasting their time doing a pointless discussion about a term that is used wrong, but still conveys the right idea to about everyone reading it? Yeah, that I care about. Feels like a massive waste of time and such person could be using their time better with something more relevant.

5 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

And people wonder why I am a dick to everyone all the time. 1f602.png

Is it really relevant to derail every thread where someone uses a term in an unintended way? Maybe it's also worth hopping into every "PSTD"/"OCD" thread and go tell people that they are using words wrong.

1 minute ago, TheYuriG said:

What shovelware means? No, I don't care. That someone else is wasting their time doing a pointless discussion about a term that is used wrong, but still conveys the right idea to about everyone reading it? Yeah, that I care about. Feels like a massive waste of time and such person could be using their time better with something more relevant.

Is it really relevant to derail every thread where someone uses a term in an unintended way? Maybe it's also worth hopping into every "PSTD"/"OCD" thread and go tell people that they are using words wrong.

Okay, since you're apparently trying to get my attention, you have it undivided. What do you want to happen here? What is your intended purpose here, that you saw fit to cry for my attention like I'm your alcoholic father?

Just now, damon8r351 said:

Okay, since you're apparently trying to get my attention, you have it undivided.

I literally quoted you, can't see how somehow it's not extremely obvious that I wanted your attention. That's the whole point of quoting.

2 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

What do you want to happen here? What is your intended purpose here, that you saw fit to cry for my attention like I'm your alcoholic father?

Already said this before on the status update you made before, that ended up getting deleted. Ideally you would have a change of attitude so I could stop seeing people shit talking you through your back, since people in general won't actually come and confront you about your general willingness to try to upset other members in this forums. I don't honestly care if you have a pet peeve against the forum weebs or put an emoji in your signature, but it gets really tiring of seeing the only thing being said about you is that you are an asshole when anyone following you for the past few years knows that you are way more than that. You just have a different sense of humor and don't follow the default human relationship MO.

15 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Feels like a massive waste of time and such person could be using their time better with something more relevant.

Dude, you're messaging on forums dedicated to completely worthless virtual cups. Nothing about this is even remotely relevant. You might consider stepping down from your high horse and stop patronizing adults. Your behaviour gets more and more preposterous as time goes by. :facepalm:

Edited by El Duderino

1 minute ago, El Duderino said:

You might consider stepping down from your high horse and stop patronizing adults. Your behaviour gets more and more preposterous as time goes by.

Pretty sure that's just a language barrier.

Just now, TheYuriG said:

Pretty sure that's just a language barrier.

Then you might wanna improve it. That would actually be a relevant task.

Just now, El Duderino said:

Then you might wanna improve it. That would actually be a relevant task.

Improve my learning of english? It's something I try to do every day and I see no way to hasten the process. At this point I've just accepted that I'll write thing and they will be read in a different way than what I intended them for. My latest theory points that the lack of emojis in my messages makes people think I'm rude, but I don't honestly care enough to add a bunch of 😂😂😂 and 😜😜 to every post I make.

1 minute ago, TheYuriG said:

I literally quoted you, can't see how somehow it's not extremely obvious that I wanted your attention. That's the whole point of quoting.

Already said this before on the status update you made before, that ended up getting deleted. Ideally you would have a change of attitude so I could stop seeing people shit talking you through your back, since people in general won't actually come and confront you about your general willingness to try to upset other members in this forums. I don't honestly care if you have a pet peeve against the forum weebs or put an emoji in your signature, but it gets really tiring of seeing the only thing being said about you is that you are an asshole when anyone following you for the past few years knows that you are way more than that. You just have a different sense of humor and don't follow the default human relationship MO.

I forgot this thread existed literally 5 seconds after I posted my rant about shovelware and it would've stayed that way but you wanted to make it a big deal. So have fun with that hard on you have for me, I'm not changing my attitude for you. You're not staff, get off your high horse, etc etc.

Just now, damon8r351 said:

So have fun with that hard on you have for me, I'm not changing my attitude for you.

I don't actually care about what you do, I actually find your posts funny and it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is seeing the constant trash talking, as I think that it's just an endless cycle:

You do things that upset people.

Those people go and talk trash you.

Neither of the sides contact each other about the problem. Both sides continue to upset one another and nothing gets done, the issue only persists and everyone loses.

5 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

You're not staff

Why is this relevant? I'm merely informing you about something. If I was staff,  I wouldn't be asking. But as you said, you don't actually seem to care about what people say about you, then I wonder why do I? Just being the middle man here, trying to break the hate cycle, but it just seems like it's not working too well in that regard.

Can't you guys take this to PM or a status update?

Aaaaaaaanyway, about the games. They would look like fun on the Vita but I can't see myself firing up the PS4 for them.

Honestly, looks like shovelware to me.

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

What bothers me is seeing the constant trash talking, as I think that it's just an endless cycle:

You do things that upset people.

Those people go and talk trash you.

Neither of the sides contact each other about the problem. Both sides continue to upset one another and nothing gets done, the issue only persists and everyone loses.

And literally none of that happened before your post.  Neither@HuntingFever or @grifteskymfning responded in any form, let alone one to suggest they were upset by damon's example/explanation.  There wasnt any conflict until your borderline mildly insulting post dude. (Which we may as well attribute to said language barrier I guess?)

Edited by AJ_-_808

Just now, AJ_-_808 said:

And literally none of that happened before your post.

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

I could stop seeing people shit talking you through your back

As I said, none of that happened here, in this thread, until your post.

Your second quote might be a language thing, but if you're referring to people talking shit behind his back, you seem to care more about it than damon does.  It is/was irrelevant to this thread, where the question apparently now is whether or not the linked game bundle is shovelware

6 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

Btw, it's a princess bride reference, so yeah..

Edited by AJ_-_808

2 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

How dare you inject yourself in this thread with logic and reason? You, kind sir, should be ashamed.

Just now, AJ_-_808 said:

As I said, none of that happened here

Yes, it did not happen here, but I just got pinged on discord because the other day I defended damon's for having a different sense of humor and then he made this post and people were all just circlejerking around what I've mentioned before.

1 minute ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Your second quote might be a language thing

If doesn't make sense, then most likely is.

2 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

you seem to care more about it than damon does.

Yeah, this seems to be the case. I usually care more about people having good relationships than the actual people involved do.

3 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

It is/was irrelevant to this thread

Yeah, think I've ended up derailing it. I've reported my posts and asked them to be removed, probably shouldn't go make forum posts just after waking up.